4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's definately possible the 2021 date reflects LE looking that far back for a connection, especially in regard to the Feb 2023 tik tok warrant for victims' accounts. But these latest warrants that begin in scope from late June 2022 seem to indicate a stronger knowledge and direction by investigators than previously. Because of the tie in with BK's opening of his phone account. I wonder if he chose WSU and then got online and found out about the victims prior to moving to Pullman. MOO
Exactly. What came first? I wonder if he got online to get off-campus housing addresses to find victims, sort of narrow his search. Then did drive-by or a run-by to see if any of the residents fit his type.
Reportedly he annoyingly asked a couple women where they lived. It's always more fun to walk or run where there is something interesting along the way or at the end.

Off-campus rental sites have lots of pictures and some with street views. Or one of the RE sites, put in a boundary he could easily run to from his own off-campus rental.
JMO

edit clarity

Last edited:
Also:

Strava Beacon, Strava Live Segments, and Audio Announcements require cellular data, so these features will not work in airplane mode and could contribute to battery drain. Strava is a free app, and there is no cost to record and share your activities. Strava is more intuitive and clearly the go-to social network for cyclists, as well as one of the most comprehensive map and itinerary resources in the world. A few factoids from: strava.com

Exactly. What came first? I wonder if he got online to get off-campus housing addresses to find victims, sort of narrow his search. Then did drive-by or a run-by to see if any of the residents fit his type.

Interesting off-campus rental sites have lots of pictures and some with street views. Or one of the RE sites, put in a boundary he could easily run to from his own off-campus rental.
JMO

Good thoughts. And if he was scrolling through rental properties he could have come across 1122. It's even possible he connected some of the victims to that property prior to moving to Pullman I suppose (through social media). But if not, then yes this awful picture is emerging of him running and /or driving by to check out who lived there. It's possible Aug 21 2022 (when traffic stopped not far out of cellular range of 1122) was one of his earliest check outs of 1122 (10.30-11.30pm approx) (PCA). WTH, to being pulled over by LE on what looks to be his way back to Pullman. The irony is exceptionally cruel. MOO

It's important what you've mentioned re on site rental searches IMO for another reason: digital remnants of those (logs or whatever, deleted but recoverable files blah blah?) could have been found during the digital analysis of BKs devices that has occurred since his items were seized. The search warrants for all his devices were incredibly detailed and covered just about everything imaginable. They could have found internet searches for 1122, repeated scrutiny of photos, zeroing in on google street view. And remnants of downloaded photos and maps? MOO
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A general ETA: I also wonder if maybe one of the completely sealed warrants is for the rental agency office in Moscow that leased 1122. Going through their computer records et al to identify IP addresses which connected and scrolled on 1122 advertisement/pages. This is taking me in another direction entirely as I type...

MOO

Last edited:
True. Maybe that time SG said he "touched" the house wifi, maybe it was thru his Strava watch...

Small matter almost not worth mentioning (so why am I, haha)...there's no such thing as a "Strava watch." There are various watches such as Garmins and Fitbits to which you can add the Strava app (or I think some might come with it already installed). I don't believe we know if he had one of those, but he could just use Strava through his phone as well.

Last edited:
Side note: It's believed that Moriah Wilson's alleged killer might have known where Moriah was staying by looking at her public Strava account and seeing that she had started and ended a cycle ride at the location where she ultimately was murdered. It's part of the reason I wondered here if any of the victims might have accounts, too.

Small matter almost not worth mentioning (so why am I, haha)...there's no such thing as a "Strava watch." There are various watches such as Garmins and Fitbits to which you can add the Strava app (or I think some might come with it already installed). I don't believe we know if he had one of those, but he could just use Strava through his phone as well.

And I should have said, your point was a great one in any case, @SpiderFalcon !

So now that I'm getting a chance to look through these...

Google LLC
Search warrant initially dated 2.24.23
for BK - 5 email addresses and 1 IMEI

for the period 1.1.2021-12.30.22

I broke the warrants out into two piles - Before BK and After BK. This is not all of the warrants, just the ones that are specific to BK and the victims. Here are some 1.1.2021 start dates.

After BK
11.25 earliest, 11.29 at 12:58 a.m. latest date of IDing him
Kaylee Tinder 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 11.29.22
Why would they look at her Tinder right after IDing BK, why not before?
Kaylee Reddit 1.1.2021.
Warrant dated 12.1.22, motion for extension 12.14
Maddie Tinder 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 12.6.22
BK Google 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 1.3.23

Hmmmm.

I have running friends whose workouts I can watch from the Strava app, basically tracking them as they go. I'd not be at all surprised if he used it for his workouts as it's quite popular, but could he also have been following one or more victims to see their routes as well?
There was a man in a city where I was living - pre-Strava, pre-pretty-much-everything, who was "running" at the lake, watching women put handbags in cars and then go run at night. He'd break into their cars, steal the bags, and then had home address and keys. It was harder, but still very effective.

I noted that, as well. Are there warrants for his old phone account, as well? I know some warrants go back to 2021.

Very early on, it bothered me that he got a new phone number. I know people do this every day, for valid and non-nefarious reasons, but I still had to consider that BK's reasons were not so innocent. Again, speculation where perhaps it isn't needed.

We don't know exactly when he moved to Pullman, AFAIK, but it seems it wasn't in June. Either he signed up online, or during a visit. But I wonder why he wanted a local number specifically.
I don't make too much of the new number if he had the old phone, but the 2021 warrants line up.

Mail Handling Procedures for BK in Latah COUNTY JAIL?
....idaho code. To me (IANAL) it appears that the jail standard operating procedure for mail stands even if the attorney is screening it. I tried to find out if the attorney could bring it in and show him during a visit, but I don't see anything and google told me to call the DOC lol. I don't think the attorney can do this because according to the code, it is not SOP for incoming mail. I don't think there is anything that prevents an attorney from verbally telling a client what they have read in a letter though. JMO

Contraband and prohibited mail​

Any thing--of any kind--that is prohibited by Board, Department, or facility rules, policies, directives, or standard operating procedures. Contraband also includes any thing--of any kind--that a facility head has not approved (1) for possession by an offender or (2) to bring into a facility or onto Department property.
4. Prohibited Mail Items Items prohibited include, but are not limited to, the following: • Items in a letter or package not authorized by policy or standard operating procedure
Attorney Access: Procedures
Quote: ".... why BK's mail is now being vetted/sorted by his attorney? Does that mean anything the attorney approves gets to him - or does that just mean that the attorney sees the mail first and forwards whatever BK and she have decided is forwardable and the jail still does its due diligence? Anyone seen this in a prior case?"
It is because BK is getting threatening mail, death threat letters in jail....
Video (Consider the source but news nation was accurate with BK's jail conditions and that he was being looked at in other crimes, amongst other things etc....)
....if I were the Chief, I'd have the mail sent to the jail, and *then* to the attorney, then to BK.IMO.
@Nila Aella @Cool Cats @10ofRods
Snipped some from above posts for focus. Sorry for any botches in that process.

Good work, digging up ID. statutes, st. dept./agency's publications, news links, etc.* Thanks for posting w your comments.

Does IDOC's mail handling publication SOP (16 pages) apply to mail processing procedures to BK, as he is housed in a county jail (IIRC)?

IDOC's website lists the dept's "correctional facilities" as the IDOC prisons and community reentry centers* and does not show county jails.

A section of ID statutes re jails is titled "20-627. UNLAWFUL CONVEYANCE OF ARTICLES INTO AND OUT OF COUNTY JAIL" and includes references to contraband & letters. etc.
As expected, not nearly the detail as in IDOC's 16 page SOP re mail.

Maybe someone can find something specific re Latah County's mail procedures?
Or maybe some county sheriffs in ID adopt certain IDOC's SOPs by incorporating by reference? Or maybe nothing available online? Or maybe I've missed something more definitive in my searches. IDK.

"This standard operating procedure applies to all department correctional facilities (correctional facilities includes prisons and community reentry centers, issues specific to either a prison or CRC are cited as such), correctional facility staff, and inmates."
"PURPOSE
"The purpose of this standard operating procedure is to establish guidelines for ensuring inmate mail handling and delivery processes are managed consistently throughout Idaho Department of Correction (IDOC) correctional facilities."

*** ID. Statutes
"TITLE 20 STATE PRISON AND COUNTY JAILS
"CHAPTER 6 COUNTY JAILS
"20-627. UNLAWFUL CONVEYANCE OF ARTICLES INTO AND OUT OF COUNTY JAIL. Any person who shall deliver or attempt to deliver or shall have in his possession with the intent to deliver, any letter, article or thing, to one confined in a county jail or in any other place or building used or substituted for a county jail, or who deposits or conceals any letter, article or thing in or about such jail or in or about such other place or building used or substituted for a county jail with the intent that one confined in such jail or such other place or building shall obtain or receive the same, without the knowledge or permission of the sheriff or a deputy sheriff; or any person who shall receive from one confined within a jail any letter, article or thing with the intent to convey the same out of the jail without the knowledge and permission of the sheriff or a deputy sheriff; or any person who shall purchase, exchange, take or receive from any prisoner while he may be working or remaining outside the county jail, any letter, article or thing without the knowledge and permission of the sheriff or a deputy sheriff, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor."

Last edited:
First few hot take thoughts on the warrants:

In General
  • Does anyone if it's standard practice to list IMEI number on these things? NO ONE but your cellular provider and you get your IMEI number. It's not reported out via HTTP headers nor is it included in the data that Google or Apple pass to App Creators.

Strava
  • I remember buzz about a BK account being up on Strava for weeks following the murder, inactive of course.
  • It looks like LE is looking for any and all accounts associated with BK using email, Android ID (app store) and the IP that the account was created from
  • I posted awhile back about the use of cookies and IP addresses to link people who have multiple accounts somewhere. Strava likely uses techniques that are even more advanced (hardware fingerprinting) but I don't see anything listed.
  • Again, the IMEI thing is extremely confusing as Strava would not have this information and just because they have LE involved...it's not like they can go back and get data that they never stored(this will be the last time I point this out because LE does it repeatedly).
Reddit
  • Looks like BK had 3 specific email addresses that they know about and one phone number
  • Reddit at one point allowed registration and password recovery by phone number. They no longer allow recovery (2 factor auth only) and now phone number registration is limited to certain regions. Anyway...
  • Reddit's LE rules are written to limit scope and put the onus on LE to ask for specific things. Even though LE did a good job and seemed to be very thorough and explicit....
  • I think what they didn't request presents a few problems. Reddit used to allow people to signup with no email address at all. Just a username. So if LE doesn't explicitly ask Reddit to use their super secret hardware fingerprinting to give them all of BKs accounts I'm not sure they will volunteer it if they follow this warrant down to the letter.
  • Again,the IMEI..ugh. Anyway...really the last time I'll mention it. Wish they had asked for something like the desktop GPU (see above 'super secret') or whatever black magic sorcery Reddit uses to identify alias accounts.
To Be Continued.....Top Chef is on.

Edit: I couldn't help but to quickly peek into the Google warrant. And it looks like the two things I cited long ago as BKs biggest worries are listed there. BRB!

February 27, 2023

I wanted to show a Warrant going back to January 1st, 2021 and one with alot of detail because you mentioned the possibility of BK having an online connection to the victims prior to him going to WSU.

When how and why did he choose these 3 women? Or was it just one and he then became interested in her roommates?

Any BK connection to a victim before the crime is a smoking gun.......2 Cents

They came up near the top (and still do) of any google image search for "Prettiest girls at University of Idaho" or similar. Which, I am told by students, is something they do google (especially guys). I googled it on around Nov 14, and MM and KG were top results, along with many now-removed SM posts (not by them) mentioning them.

I still feel he may have read Elliot Rodger's manifesto.

iMO.

And this is really interesting... side note: this day job thing is really getting in the way of my concentration re this case lol. I glanced at this before I went to an appointment, and thought it was the same because it looked the same. Only it isn't.

Here's the AT&T warrant from today:

For the time period of: June 23, 2022, to August 1, 2022
AT&T Wireless Number: LE KNEW THE NUMBER, NOT THE NAME
Subscriber Name: Unknown at this time
To include both Historical Records and Real Time/Provisional

Here's the earlier T-Mobile warrant

For the time period of: August 1, 2022 to Present
T-Mobile Wireless Number: LE KNEW THE NUMBER, NOT THE NAME
Subscriber Name: Unknown
To include both Historical Records and Real Time/Provisional Records

Hmmmm.

So now that I'm getting a chance to look through these...

Google LLC
Search warrant initially dated 2.24.23
for BK - 5 email addresses and 1 IMEI

for the period 1.1.2021-12.30.22

I broke the warrants out into two piles - Before BK and After BK. This is not all of the warrants, just the ones that are specific to BK and the victims. Here are some 1.1.2021 start dates.

After BK
11.25 earliest, 11.29 at 12:58 a.m. latest date of IDing him
Kaylee Tinder 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 11.29.22
Why would they look at her Tinder right after IDing BK, why not before?
Kaylee Reddit 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 12.1.22, motion for extension 12.14
Maddie Tinder 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 12.6.22
BK Google 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 1.3.23

Hmmmm.
First few hot take thoughts on the warrants:

In General
  • Does anyone if it's standard practice to list IMEI number on these things? NO ONE but your cellular provider and you get your IMEI number. It's not reported out via HTTP headers nor is it included in the data that Google or Apple pass to App Creators.

Strava
  • I remember buzz about a BK account being up on Strava for weeks following the murder, inactive of course.
  • It looks like LE is looking for any and all accounts associated with BK using email, Android ID (app store) and the IP that the account was created from
  • I posted awhile back about the use of cookies and IP addresses to link people who have multiple accounts somewhere. Strava likely uses techniques that are even more advanced (hardware fingerprinting) but I don't see anything listed.
  • Again, the IMEI thing is extremely confusing as Strava would not have this information and just because they have LE involved...it's not like they can go back and get data that they never stored(this will be the last time I point this out because LE does it repeatedly).
Reddit
  • Looks like BK had 3 specific email addresses that they know about and one phone number
  • Reddit at one point allowed registration and password recovery by phone number. They no longer allow recovery (2 factor auth only) and now phone number registration is limited to certain regions. Anyway...
  • Reddit's LE rules are written to limit scope and put the onus on LE to ask for specific things. Even though LE did a good job and seemed to be very thorough and explicit....
  • I think what they didn't request presents a few problems. Reddit used to allow people to signup with no email address at all. Just a username. So if LE doesn't explicitly ask Reddit to use their super secret hardware fingerprinting to give them all of BKs accounts I'm not sure they will volunteer it if they follow this warrant down to the letter.
  • Again,the IMEI..ugh. Anyway...really the last time I'll mention it. Wish they had asked for something like the desktop GPU (see above 'super secret') or whatever black magic sorcery Reddit uses to identify alias accounts.
To Be Continued.....Top Chef is on.

Edit: I couldn't help but to quickly peek into the Google warrant. And it looks like the two things I cited long ago as BKs biggest worries are listed there. BRB!
I compared the first google warrant to this latest one and the wording is different. This is new:

I think it is what @schooling described

1685668593516.png
edit: both warrants list the same time period. I think this one is asking for different information. MOO

And this is really interesting... side note: this day job thing is really getting in the way of my concentration re this case lol. I glanced at this before I went to an appointment, and thought it was the same because it looked the same. Only it isn't.

Here's the AT&T warrant from today:

For the time period of: June 23, 2022, to August 1, 2022
To include both Historical Records and Real Time/Provisional

Here's the earlier T-Mobile warrant

For the time period of: August 1, 2022 to Present
To include both Historical Records and Real Time/Provisional Records

Hmmmm.
Is this how it is worded so they can get the details of the account holder (name, etc)? In case it was under a different name than BK? Could he have had more than one phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01