4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
A paywalled New York Times article came out today on this case. The Times article discusses how genealogy, DNA and digital footprints helped identify BK.

I've summarized important points as follows:
  • Genetic genealogy from a distant relative of BK's was one variable that helped crack the case
  • Survellience video from around town, and footage of UPS deliveries before and after the murders,
    narrowed the vehicle search to 2011 - 2013 Elantras
  • In late November, Washington State University campus police looked through their records and ID'd
    BK's 2015 Elantra
  • By the morning of December 19, investigators ID'd BK as a POI.
  • BK's cell-phone records were pulled on 12/23; his phone was moving around in the
    early morning hours of 11/13, but was disconnected from cell networks (possibly turned off) during the hours when the homicides occurred
  • Trash collected from BK's family residence matched DNA from "a close family relative" to
    the DNA found on the knife sheath
Much of the above is what we already know; however, I find the dates interesting.

Inside the Hunt for the Idaho Killer
Footage of UPS deliveries before and after? What could that possibly mean? Used to establish if someone was home to sign for something? But doubt they deliver in the wee hrs of the morning. Thoughts?

You really aren't missing anything here at all as it can become extremely complex if you don't have a witness who can put you at a certain place at a certain time which is anywhere other than the crime scene and be corroborated by either an additional witness and/or digital evidence.

But the notion that you either have an alibi or you don't isn't correct until either can be proven as fact.

An example of an alibi without a witness could be as follows.

The defendant has been charged with a crime allegedly committed on King Road, Moscow, Idaho between 4:00 AM and 4:25 AM.
The defendant claims to have been running at the Arboretum and Botanical Garden, Moscow, Idaho at the time of the alleged offense which is roughly 1 mile from the scene of the crime, but since the defendant was alone during his run, there are no witnesses to corroborate their alibi, so the defendant must use other means of evidence to support their claim.

Digital Evidence: If the defendant uses a fitness tracking app on his smartphone or smartwatch, it might have recorded their run. This data could provide a timestamped route that proves they were at the Arboretum and Botanical Garden during the time of the alleged offense.

Surveillance Footage: The Arboretum and Botanical Garden or surrounding areas might have surveillance cameras that recorded the defendant during their run.

Physical Evidence: If the defendant made a purchase at or near the Arboretum and Botanical Garden before, during, or after their run, a receipt could serve as evidence.

As you can see, there are multiple examples of an alibi, the biggest problem would be the defendant convincing a jury about said alibi.

As i stated above, an alibi without a corroborating witness can become quite complex.

And this complexity can potentially result in a judge granting an exception to the defendant for any of the requirements of Notice of defense of alibi

Digesting this completely. One thing, the arboretum is over the hill like feet away. It is an open tree'd area with a pond, pitch black no addmitance tracking needed. Stroll all you like. Just saying we are very rural. Possibly a receipt at a gas station would be documentation but Moscow is small and traversable it would not rule you out.

Digesting this completely. One thing, the arboretum is over the hill like feet away. It is an open tree'd area with a pond, pitch black no addmitance tracking needed. Stroll all you like. Just saying we are very rural. Possibly a receipt at a gas station would be documentation but Moscow is small and traversable it would not rule you out.
I understand the arboretum is close to the crime scene, but the point I was making is that it's not the crime scene.

It's just one example of a close by location that could counter the prosecutions claim of the defendant being near to the crime scene by way of cellular data and CCTV footage in the Affidavit by Brett Payne.

It in now way is my defense of the defendant and also does not explain away any other evidence.

I understand the arboretum is close to the crime scene, but the point I was making is that it's not the crime scene.

It's just one example of a close by location that could counter the prosecutions claim of the defendant being near to the crime scene by way of cellular data and CCTV footage in the Affidavit by Brett Payne.

It in now way is my defense of the defendant and also does not explain away any other evidence.
Realistically isn't that the first thing he would have done?
That's an immediate get out of jail free card , if he had it he'd have pulled it.
He simply does not have this card.
He can try playing havoc with his phone being switched off and he can possibly try playing havoc in relation to previous known visits to that house, saying he fancie the girl living 2 oors own or some such thing.
But the DNA...

I understand you're just explaining how things work. I get it in reality. I just wish that when somebody committed murder and got scooped up by the police or maybe in this case partially the FBI they had to give some sort of alibi immediately and prove it. Life sure doesn't work like it does in the movies, sigh. Predators have too many rights, victims not nearly enough!

Realistically isn't that the first thing he would have done?
That's an immediate get out of jail free card , if he had it he'd have pulled it.
He simply does not have this card.
He can try playing havoc with his phone being switched off and he can possibly try playing havoc in relation to previous known visits to that house, saying he fancie the girl living 2 oors own or some such thing.
But the DNA...
Truth be told, Kohberger is just as likely to not have an albi than he actually does.

All I gave was an example based off a Google earth search of kings road, my example is not based on fact and is entirely fiction.

We aren't in possession of any evidence near to what the prosecution and defence have.

Hence I view these kinds of questions and answer's as a never ending circular argument.

Agreed. If the NYT piece is accurate, I think it was a significant error on the state's/LE side and will be a big deal at trial. JMO
That “if” is a crucial caveat — thanks for making it!

ATM, I think I kinda look at that info (if the reporting is accurate) in an opposing way? To me, it indicates a willingness to follow the evidence rather lead it, which I appreciate.

It’s interesting to learn how others interpret the same info!

Footage of UPS deliveries before and after? What could that possibly mean? Used to establish if someone was home to sign for something? But doubt they deliver in the wee hrs of the morning. Thoughts?
I think the defense is looking for a possible alibi that won’t be contradicted by the evidence that the prosecution has collected. That’s going to take a lot of time and work—it’s nothing like just saying: “I was in such and such a place, doing such and such a thing.”

I have some of the weirdest thoughts possible. You're sitting in a jail cell, meeting with your attorneys, having serious cat and mouse conversations about how to explain your actions or mount some sort of defense. First of all, if you did this, you could just come clean and save everyone the trouble of wondering what in the world happened. Naw, you're going to take your 15 minutes of fame to the max and then complain you don't want anybody to film you. I think you have to take your pick either you're a narcissist who loves the attention or go directly to jail. You just can't have it both ways. Plead or confess. Fight it and get thrown the death penalty. Our justice system does not make any sense to me.

I understand you're just explaining how things work. I get it in reality. I just wish that when somebody committed murder and got scooped up by the police or maybe in this case partially the FBI they had to give some sort of alibi immediately and prove it. Life sure doesn't work like it does in the movies, sigh. Predators have too many rights, victims not nearly enough!

Many people wouldn't have an alibi for random times or days of the week, especially if they live alone like BK. It's the job of attorneys to sort this stuff out for the jury. Predators don't have that many rights; accused predators do, but for good reason. JMO.

That “if” is a crucial caveat — thanks for making it!

ATM, I think I kinda look at that info (if the reporting is accurate) in an opposing way? To me, it indicates a willingness to follow the evidence rather lead it, which I appreciate.

It’s interesting to learn how others interpret the same info!
Same as that.

That caught my eye as well.

The Times article did not state from which locations the UPS delivery info. was requested. I'm thinking LE was looking for the possible Amazon K-BAR knife delivery to BK (the "before" delivery).

Also, BK could have ordered clean-up supplies from Amazon to be delivered after the homicides.

Ruminating on this . . . is it possible LE was asking for UPS delivery information at 1122 King Road before the homicides?? Were they looking to link BK's Elantra to the location? His vehicle may have shown up as UPS was coming or going, either at his apartment or at the King Road location.

Enclosing the link again: Inside the Hunt for the Idaho Killer

JMVHO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads