4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mail Handling Procedures for BK in Latah COUNTY JAIL?

@Nila Aella @Cool Cats @10ofRods
Snipped some from above posts for focus. Sorry for any botches in that process.

Good work, digging up ID. statutes, st. dept./agency's publications, news links, etc.* Thanks for posting w your comments.

Does IDOC's mail handling publication SOP (16 pages) apply to mail processing procedures to BK, as he is housed in a county jail (IIRC)?

IDOC's website lists the dept's "correctional facilities" as the IDOC prisons and community reentry centers* and does not show county jails.

A section of ID statutes re jails is titled "20-627. UNLAWFUL CONVEYANCE OF ARTICLES INTO AND OUT OF COUNTY JAIL" and includes references to contraband & letters. etc.
As expected, not nearly the detail as in IDOC's 16 page SOP re mail.

Maybe someone can find something specific re Latah County's mail procedures?
Or maybe some county sheriffs in ID adopt certain IDOC's SOPs by incorporating by reference? Or maybe nothing available online? Or maybe I've missed something more definitive in my searches. IDK.

"This standard operating procedure applies to all department correctional facilities (correctional facilities includes prisons and community reentry centers, issues specific to either a prison or CRC are cited as such), correctional facility staff, and inmates."
"PURPOSE
"The purpose of this standard operating procedure is to establish guidelines for ensuring inmate mail handling and delivery processes are managed consistently throughout Idaho Department of Correction (IDOC) correctional facilities."

*** ID. Statutes
"TITLE 20 STATE PRISON AND COUNTY JAILS
"CHAPTER 6 COUNTY JAILS
"20-627. UNLAWFUL CONVEYANCE OF ARTICLES INTO AND OUT OF COUNTY JAIL. Any person who shall deliver or attempt to deliver or shall have in his possession with the intent to deliver, any letter, article or thing, to one confined in a county jail or in any other place or building used or substituted for a county jail, or who deposits or conceals any letter, article or thing in or about such jail or in or about such other place or building used or substituted for a county jail with the intent that one confined in such jail or such other place or building shall obtain or receive the same, without the knowledge or permission of the sheriff or a deputy sheriff; or any person who shall receive from one confined within a jail any letter, article or thing with the intent to convey the same out of the jail without the knowledge and permission of the sheriff or a deputy sheriff; or any person who shall purchase, exchange, take or receive from any prisoner while he may be working or remaining outside the county jail, any letter, article or thing without the knowledge and permission of the sheriff or a deputy sheriff, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor."
Specific to latah county jail:

ETA: Scrolled down and found this

• Mail is always scanned and inspected for contraband, obscenity and other rule infractions.
  • Assume that everything you write will be read by jail staff and can and will be used against you or your inmate in court.
  • Never write anything about the inmate's court case you wouldn't want read aloud in court

Last edited:
Ditto for these... I glanced at this before I went to an appointment, and thought it was the same because it looked the same, but not all of them...

Dated 1.25.23 - BK Reddit

Bryan Kohberger with any of the following IDENTIFIERS: Email address(es)
(looks like 3 redacted) and/or phone numberand/or IMEI generated on or between June 1, 2022 to present

Odd on this Reddit. Data received 2.8.23, but not downloaded until 3.22.23???
0n March 22, 2023, the data was downloaded to computers at the Moscow Police
Department;

Here's Kaylee's Reddit:
Dated 12.1.22 - Kaylee Reddit
Reddit account of Kaylee Goncalves with any of the
following Identifiers: Kaylee Goncalves, mobile phone number of --4818, email
address(es) and/or generated on or between January 1, 2021 to present...

And BK's Reddit and all these others ... all 1.25.23, right after the WSU on 1.24.23

IMO there was a hidey hole that was found.

WSU redacted 1.24.23

YikYak redacted 1.25.23

Twitter redacted 1.25.23 (from 6.1.22 to that present date)

DropBox redacted 1.25.23

TikTok redacted 1.25.23 (from 6.1.22 to that present date)
Temporary seal to 5.31.23 that the court sealed again... we knew about this one)

I compared the first google warrant to this latest one and the wording is different. This is new:

I think it is what @schooling described

View attachment 426014
edit: both warrants list the same time period. I think this one is asking for different information. MOO
I'd have to do a doc compare, but that's entirely possible. Same time, but different warrant dates, too.

ETA: i really have to start a Go-Fund-Me because I cannot possibly do my day job and all this, so clearly lol...

Last edited:
Specific to latah county jail:

ETA: Scrolled down and found this
  • Mail is always scanned and inspected for contraband, obscenity and other rule infractions.
  • Assume that everything you write will be read by jail staff and can and will be used against you or your inmate in court.
  • Never write anything about the inmate's court case you wouldn't want read aloud in court
@Nila Aella I knew it.
I knew one of you would come thru w the deets on Latah jail mail procedures.
Gotta be tricky for jail employees to handle.

Thank you very much. :) Off to read.

Is this how it is worded so they can get the details of the account holder (name, etc)? In case it was under a different name than BK? Could he have had more than one phone?

My best guess: I'd say that they had numbers and needed a name. And my guessing stops there. It could be he had them both. Two phones, one person. Or it could be two people, two phones, Notice the wording in the reasons to seal. What's interesting to me is that the T-Mobile was before they knew about BK?? SO how does it fit, IDK, but interesting, right?

Exactly. What came first? I wonder if he got online to get off-campus housing addresses to find victims, sort of narrow his search. Then did drive-by or a run-by to see if any of the residents fit his type.
Reportedly he annoyingly asked a couple women where they lived. It's always more fun to walk or run where there is something interesting along the way or at the end.

Off-campus rental sites have lots of pictures and some with street views. Or one of the RE sites, put in a boundary he could easily run to from his own off-campus rental.
JMO

edit clarity

I think he may just have attended pre-semester parties (known far and wide) at various places at U of I. As we saw in some of the bodycam video from Nov 12-13, lots and lots of students are out and about, looking for parties. Easy to blend in.

Also possible his cohort of grad students had dinner or a party in friendly Moscow and walked around. If he was a solo runner/walker, the U of I campus might have been appealing (there's a big garden not too far from 1122 King; lots of open space).

But in basic criminology class (the one he was TA'ing) it's often taught that crossing state lines helps diminish LE's ability to solve right away. Many reasons. LE communicates first with its own staff, within each post.

Here's a link to part of the syllabus for CJ 101 (I'm impressed by the midterm grade being either a C or an F - that sort of sets a tone, in my book).

Was too lazy to join.

IMO.

Is this how it is worded so they can get the details of the account holder (name, etc)? In case it was under a different name than BK? Could he have had more than one phone?
And if you're asking about this:

For the time period of: June 23, 2022, to August 1, 2022
AT&T Wireless Number: LE KNEW THE NUMBER, NOT THE NAME
Subscriber Name: Unknown at this time
To include both Historical Records and Real Time/Provisional

I don't think LE was being coy. I think they really didn't know the name. So two T-Mobiles, two AT&Ts, number, no name. Did BK have four phones? Did two people have two phones? Lots of mix and match possibilities there. But LE would not be coy. That I do know.

Dated 1.25.23 - BK Reddit

Bryan Kohberger with any of the following IDENTIFIERS: Email address(es)
(looks like 3 redacted) and/or phone numberand/or IMEI generated on or between June 1, 2022 to present

Odd on this Reddit. Data received 2.8.23, but not downloaded until 3.22.23???
0n March 22, 2023, the data was downloaded to computers at the Moscow Police
Department;
snipped

I noticed this too: why such a long delay to download the Reddit information? I checked others and they were done within days.

MOO

I think he may just have attended pre-semester parties (known far and wide) at various places at U of I. As we saw in some of the bodycam video from Nov 12-13, lots and lots of students are out and about, looking for parties. Easy to blend in.

Also possible his cohort of grad students had dinner or a party in friendly Moscow and walked around. If he was a solo runner/walker, the U of I campus might have been appealing (there's a big garden not too far from 1122 King; lots of open space).

But in basic criminology class (the one he was TA'ing) it's often taught that crossing state lines helps diminish LE's ability to solve right away. Many reasons. LE communicates first with its own staff, within each post.

Here's a link to part of the syllabus for CJ 101 (I'm impressed by the midterm grade being either a C or an F - that sort of sets a tone, in my book).

Was too lazy to join.

IMO.
I can't say I'm impressed by the midterm grading. While many profs hate calculating midterm grades (believe me, I know!) schools that require assigning midterm grades usually say it is to help undergraduate students understand where they stand. A C at midterm isn't that helpful if the only other grade that can be earned is an F.

Low grades may tell a student to study harder (or may cause them to become hysterical over a TA's grading of papers!) OR they may convince a borderline student to drop the course when that's not really necessary and may not be in the student's ultimate best interest to make timely progress. But it may leave the better students in class so few failing final grades are assigned. Helps with student evals for sure!

I do wonder what it would be like to be that prof's TA. It sounds like BK was definitely out of line. But it sounds like an iffy assistantship to me. Just my opinion.

And if you're asking about this:

For the time period of: June 23, 2022, to August 1, 2022
To include both Historical Records and Real Time/Provisional

I don't think LE was being coy. I think they really didn't know the name. So two T-Mobiles, two AT&Ts, number, no name. Did BK have four phones? Did two people have two phones? Lots of mix and match possibilities there. But LE would not be coy. That I do know.
I'm not suggesting this as a viable theory, but I also would not be surprised if BK had several phones, even possibly burner phones (I hate when people suggest burner phones, but...). For the moment, because I'm creeped the hell out by BK, I am wondering if there was far more stalking behavior than I originally imagined. Maybe he had tried to contact girls through multiple numbers.

There were at least 12 separate occasions where BK's known phone was in the vicinity of King Rd. In the PCA, it's mentioned that LE did a phone sweep of all the phones that utilized the tower within range of the house around the times of the murders and BK's phone was not listed as one of them. That was suspect, of course, because he apparently turned it off (or airplane mode), but perhaps they found other numbers that they wanted to identify. Did BK think having a burner phone on while at the King Rd house would throw off LE? IDK. I need to stop for the night...

First few hot take thoughts on the warrants:

In General
  • Does anyone if it's standard practice to list IMEI number on these things? NO ONE but your cellular provider and you get your IMEI number. It's not reported out via HTTP headers nor is it included in the data that Google or Apple pass to App Creators.

Strava
  • I remember buzz about a BK account being up on Strava for weeks following the murder, inactive of course.
  • It looks like LE is looking for any and all accounts associated with BK using email, Android ID (app store) and the IP that the account was created from
  • I posted awhile back about the use of cookies and IP addresses to link people who have multiple accounts somewhere. Strava likely uses techniques that are even more advanced (hardware fingerprinting) but I don't see anything listed.
  • Again, the IMEI thing is extremely confusing as Strava would not have this information and just because they have LE involved...it's not like they can go back and get data that they never stored(this will be the last time I point this out because LE does it repeatedly).
Reddit
  • Looks like BK had 3 specific email addresses that they know about and one phone number
  • Reddit at one point allowed registration and password recovery by phone number. They no longer allow recovery (2 factor auth only) and now phone number registration is limited to certain regions. Anyway...
  • Reddit's LE rules are written to limit scope and put the onus on LE to ask for specific things. Even though LE did a good job and seemed to be very thorough and explicit....
  • I think what they didn't request presents a few problems. Reddit used to allow people to signup with no email address at all. Just a username. So if LE doesn't explicitly ask Reddit to use their super secret hardware fingerprinting to give them all of BKs accounts I'm not sure they will volunteer it if they follow this warrant down to the letter.
  • Again,the IMEI..ugh. Anyway...really the last time I'll mention it. Wish they had asked for something like the desktop GPU (see above 'super secret') or whatever black magic sorcery Reddit uses to identify alias accounts.
To Be Continued.....Top Chef is on.

Edit: I couldn't help but to quickly peek into the Google warrant. And it looks like the two things I cited long ago as BKs biggest worries are listed there. BRB!
For these most recently released warrants IMEI is listed in property return of BK Reddit and Tik Tok accounts and Strava. And for sure, I've seen it listed in other earlier warrants. Could it just be that as the return property is completely redacted,the IMEI is just the first word in the list of returned digital items? So the return might read IMEI [Bk's phone's IMEI for e.g.] then go on to describe the property returned as per the description of property sought further on in the warrant/s?

For the Strava warrant,it appears a redacted IMEI was listed in the request and what was sought was any strava account/s and associated details connected with the IMEI. So if we assume the IMEI is BK's - which LE would have from his seized phone, then the warrant sought all

"Strava accounts linked by
recovery email, cookie, Android ID, Creation IP or phone number associated with the
following identifiers

IMEI "

But you're saying that Strava wouldn't have access to account holders' IMEIs? So how could they find accounts based on that as identifier? IDK but maybe there were other identifiers for Strava to work off, which are redacted above the word IMEI?

Trying to make sense of an area I am very 'unschooled' (!) in but could what I'm suggesting make any sense re the IMEI being listed in the returned property section of BK Reddit and Tiktok warrants? In the warrants' requests there are several identifiers listed besides the defendant's name, including IMEI. But again it's weird that IMEI is included as one of them when these companies do not have that info. My best gues would be it's just boiler plate, so being all inclusive in the request even though it doesn't make sense!

MOO

New ones...

Snapchat 3.30.23 for 4 victims & roommates
for period 6.23.22-8.1.22

Original Snapchat for 3 victimes & roommates (assuming based on this latest warrant): redacted 11.21.22
for period 8.1.22-11.19.22

Original Snapchat for Maddie: redacted 11.21.22
for period 8.1.22-11.19.22

Interesting, too, because this shows that they got new info & PC to go looking. They didn't just get this because they were curious - if that were the case, they'd have gotten them when they got the original ones.
So what changed?
LE had to have a reason and it's in the affidavit that the court just refuses to share with me :)

I can't say I'm impressed by the midterm grading. While many profs hate calculating midterm grades (believe me, I know!) schools that require assigning midterm grades usually say it is to help undergraduate students understand where they stand. A C at midterm isn't that helpful if the only other grade that can be earned is an F.

Low grades may tell a student to study harder (or may cause them to become hysterical over a TA's grading of papers!) OR they may convince a borderline student to drop the course when that's not really necessary and may not be in the student's ultimate best interest to make timely progress. But it may leave the better students in class so few failing final grades are assigned. Helps with student evals for sure!

I do wonder what it would be like to be that prof's TA. It sounds like BK was definitely out of line. But it sounds like an iffy assistantship to me. Just my opinion.

Totally agree. I think it's to give the TA's a lighter load (TA's do NOT want to do the work that was done in the past - many reasons). Individual grading of essay exams is, apparently, rather rare these days.

The "F" means "Hey, you didn't come ANYWHERE close to the standard of this class." Everyone else gets a C - while the prof/TA's await the final exam/project. I suppose that the really good students will be spurred on (and maybe pay attention to other graded assignments, as apparently no one else does).

This guy has been doing the TA oversight/mentoring for many years. I find it hard to believe that he messes up totally. Their goal in the 101 class is to get more students and more majors. I think that the really good students would be put off by this (but what percentage are they?) while the rest are really happy (because it means unless you really messed up, you're still in the running for an A/B).

Definitely helps with evals. I am biting my tongue here. At any rate, it's a fascinating side trip - which may actually be relevant in some manner. Would be strange if BK was simply trying to uphold "standards" in the face of this system.

IMO.

That was suspect, of course, because he apparently turned it off (or airplane mode), but perhaps they found other numbers that they wanted to identify. Did BK think having a burner phone on while at the King Rd house would throw off LE? IDK. I need to stop for the night...

You need to stop for the night. I need a Go-Fund-Me miracle so I don't have to work these long days and I can focus on this. Life is not easy.

It's possible he could have done that. For the initial geofencing warrants, LE just wanted the phones, then they found two that were suspect on T-Mobile. Did BK have T-Mobile and AT&T? - possible. Could someone else have been there and seen something? - possible. Why 2 and 2? Why pick four? Beats me.

For these most recently released warrants IMEI is listed in property return of BK Reddit and Tik Tok accounts and Strava. And for sure, I've seen it listed in other earlier warrants. Could it just be that as the return property is completely redacted,the IMEI is just the first word in the list of returned digital items? So the return might read IMEI [Bk's phone's IMEI for e.g.] then go on to describe the property returned as per the description of property sought further on in the warrant/s?

For the Strava warrant,it appears a redacted IMEI was listed in the request and what was sought was any strava account/s and associated details connected with the IMEI. So if we assume the IMEI is BK's - which LE would have from his seized phone, then the warrant sought all

"Strava accounts linked by
recovery email, cookie, Android ID, Creation IP or phone number associated with the
following identifiers

IMEI "

But you're saying that Strava wouldn't have access to account holders' IMEIs? So how could they find accounts based on that as identifier? IDK but maybe there were other identifiers for Strava to work off, which are redacted above the word IMEI?

Trying to make sense of an area I am very 'unschooled' (!) in but could what I'm suggesting make any sense re the IMEI being listed in the returned property section of BK Reddit and Tiktok warrants? In the warrants' requests there are several identifiers listed besides the defendant's name, including IMEI. But again it's weird that IMEI is included as one of them when these companies do not have that info. My best gues would be it's just boiler plate, so being all inclusive in the request even though it doesn't make sense!

MOO

Apple has my IMEI number, I believe. Have I got that wrong? I think it's in my apple account after each purchase, but I could be wrong.

IMO.

And then there's Strava. This is a twist.

Strava dated 2.26.23
For the period June 27, 2022 to December 30, 2022

Huh. Odd.

And no names. But the area redacted looks like a lllllloooooonnnnnnggggg list of identifiers. Reminds me of the Tinder warrant and all those many blanks. I wonder? Sure looks like more than one person potentially, and it sure isn't a known BK because they wouldn't redact anything specific to him, so gotta wonder. IMO

I'm not suggesting this as a viable theory, but I also would not be surprised if BK had several phones, even possibly burner phones (I hate when people suggest burner phones, but...). For the moment, because I'm creeped the hell out by BK, I am wondering if there was far more stalking behavior than I originally imagined. Maybe he had tried to contact girls through multiple numbers.

There were at least 12 separate occasions where BK's known phone was in the vicinity of King Rd. In the PCA, it's mentioned that LE did a phone sweep of all the phones that utilized the tower within range of the house around the times of the murders and BK's phone was not listed as one of them. That was suspect, of course, because he apparently turned it off (or airplane mode), but perhaps they found other numbers that they wanted to identify. Did BK think having a burner phone on while at the King Rd house would throw off LE? IDK. I need to stop for the night...
It's possible! But another answer might be simpler at least in respect of T-Mobile...

I agree that the T-mobile numbers warrant likely originated from the t-mobile geofence warrant (from memory both those warrants were very early days, around 17th November). But, IMO, the T- mobile nos aren't connected to BK, but were other numbers that came up after geo-fence. I assume that after the warrants, LE eliminated the subscribers. If they had traced back to BK on 17th November I guess we would have seen a much earlier arrest. Or is the point that burner phones cannot be traced back? So LE met with a dead end on return of warrants? Honestly can't recall but there was some kind of return I think. There were similar numbers in a warrant for another provider- Verizon wireless-that appear to be linked to the geo fence warrant for Verizon - also mid November from memory. MOO

RE this latest AT&T warrant, I think it's different though.
Scope begins 23rd June which is date BK opened his AT&T account. My reasoning is that investigators had the return on the forensic analysis of BK's phone (unlike the Nov 2022 warrants) and that maybe they recovered deleted call logs from his phone. If this was the case then those two unknown numbers for which infois sought might have been in a deleted call log. That would make sense of the scope beginning June 23rd. MOO

As I am in the thralls of grading right now, I have to say that ANYTHING that prevents the hysteria over midterm grades would be great. Oh my.

I think it was a mismatch of personal styles in teaching. Sounds like the Prof wants the message to be clear (the final, whether exam or paper or both) is more important. <modsnip: off topic>

IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apple has my IMEI number, I believe. Have I got that wrong? I think it's in my apple account after each purchase, but I could be wrong.

IMO.
I think @schooling is saying that only your cellular phone provider and the customer have IMEI numbers. So strava, reddit, social media companies etc don't have it. So couldn't search records via IMEI? I guess if Apple is your cellular provider they would have it? I'm out of my depth and may have misinterpreted though, so waiting to hear what the OP thinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong