4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Digital evidence pulls.
Maybe, but IMO, there's something specific to this case that requires so many social media inquiries.
Could be. OR Victims lacking any connection to BK is so strange, they keep digging, hoping to find some link. JMO

NN Two former lady agents discuss new digital evidence pulls to possibly link Bryan Kohberger to some of his alleged victims through social media.

June 3 Tracy Walder, a former CIA officer and FBI special agent, sounds level headed to me. JMO
Looking for timeline and if any connection to BK. Walder believes the snapchat video is what did Murdaugh in.
Also this is how most 20-somethings plus communicate.

June 2 Jennifer Coffindaffer, former FBI agent and NN law and justice contributor, joins "CUOMO"

RE: Digital evidence pulls.

Could be. OR Victims lacking any connection to BK is so strange, they keep digging, hoping to find some link. JMO

NN Two former lady agents discuss new digital evidence pulls to possibly link Bryan Kohberger to some of his alleged victims through social media.

June 3 Tracy Walder, a former CIA officer and FBI special agent, sounds level headed to me. JMO
Looking for timeline and if any connection to BK. Walder believes the snapchat video is what did Murdaugh in.
Also this is how most 20-somethings plus communicate.

June 2 Jennifer Coffindaffer, former FBI agent and NN law and justice contributor, joins "CUOMO"

IMO, if they didn't connect them in the other batch(es) of SM/DD/financial warrants, that suggests something. I'm not sure it's relevant to conviction to prove a connection, but if it is and them not having it is what prompted this, that's a problem.

MOO.

Ethan's Mom, STACY CHAPIN, just wrote a children's book.
The Boy Who Wore Blue to honor Ethan.

A Chapin family member's TikTok.

edit added other link.

Last edited:
IMO, if they didn't connect them in the other batch(es) of SM/DD/financial warrants, that suggests something. I'm not sure it's relevant to conviction to prove a connection, but if it is and them not having it is what prompted this, that's a problem.

MOO.

I agree. It's interesting to me, too. One would think that there would be a financial trail left by BK as well, but we've seen no warrants for his info. They must exist, so why haven't they been posted to the case information? All that we know of that they have for BK (outside of the arrest warrants) is AT&T, Google times two, Reddit, TikTok, Twitter, YikYak, and Tinder, and then the Seagate drive. (@Nila Aella - did I get them all?)

I'm surprised that MSM is just now talking about these Snapchat & other SM warrants, too. They finally alluded to the scope, but no one is digging into that.

BK's educational background just cannot be dismissed, IMO. I'm not saying BK was a tech genius, by any means, but unless he was completely absorbed beyond control with stalking or something (which he could have been), I will be surprised if he didn't use his recently acquired knowledge in planning the crime, or at least being careful about the trail he was leaving. I respect arguments against it, but I personally think it's significant. I mean, these are some of the graduate level courses he would have taken within the last few years:

Earn a Graduate Certificate in Digital Forensics | DeSales University

CJ - 538 Network and Cloud Forensics
Credits: 3

This course focuses on the concepts of networking and the Internet, and applying those ideas to investigations of online crimes. The course covers TCP/IP, IP addresses and email tracing, log analysis, DNS and other concepts pertaining to online investigations and securing electronic evidence. Course fee required.

CJ - 537 Forensic Acquisition and Analysis

A survey of the imaging and analysis phases of the digital forensic process. Various key data types and locations of potential evidence will be discussed.The purpose of this course is to immerse students in the relevant technical skills of digital forensics, working towards the solution to practical problems encountered during an investigation. Course fee required.

CJ - 536 Digital Investigation and Evidence Collection

A review and analysis of the concepts of digital forensics, including the preliminary investigation of incidents, relevant forensic tools, encryption techniques, web-based investigations, and the examination of evidence. In addition, students will learn the methods involved when using computers and electronic devices to facilitate the commission of a crime. Course fee required.
I agree. I have started to wonder whether perhaps BK has played us all, with the apparently glaringly obvious errors surrounding commission of this crime.
Based on warrant requests, the digital forensics in this case are starting to seem extraordinarily complex.

As has been suggested previously (I would find posts, and add links to them if I could, but my elderly kitty is lying on my arm, and glaring frightfully at me when I try to extract it, so I'll keep it short) multiple identities MAY have been created (if so, IMO that could have been in order to reduce wariness of the victim(s)
BK's educational background just cannot be dismissed, IMO. I'm not saying BK was a tech genius, by any means, but unless he was completely absorbed beyond control with stalking or something (which he could have been), I will be surprised if he didn't use his recently acquired knowledge in planning the crime, or at least being careful about the trail he was leaving. I respect arguments against it, but I personally think it's significant. I mean, these are some of the graduate level courses he would have taken within the last few years:

Earn a Graduate Certificate in Digital Forensics | DeSales University

CJ - 538 Network and Cloud Forensics

This course focuses on the concepts of networking and the Internet, and applying those ideas to investigations of online crimes. The course covers TCP/IP, IP addresses and email tracing, log analysis, DNS and other concepts pertaining to online investigations and securing electronic evidence. Course fee required.

CJ - 537 Forensic Acquisition and Analysis

A survey of the imaging and analysis phases of the digital forensic process. Various key data types and locations of potential evidence will be discussed.The purpose of this course is to immerse students in the relevant technical skills of digital forensics, working towards the solution to practical problems encountered during an investigation. Course fee required.

CJ - 536 Digital Investigation and Evidence Collection

A review and analysis of the concepts of digital forensics, including the preliminary investigation of incidents, relevant forensic tools, encryption techniques, web-based investigations, and the examination of evidence. In addition, students will learn the methods involved when using computers and electronic devices to facilitate the commission of a crime. Course fee required.

MOO.
Maybe they are trying to prove there was NOT a previous connection. It seems the defense might be planning some kind of a scenario, where BK was just visiting that night, maybe to purchase drugs, or hang out, and he has been falsely accused as the killer, when he was just a friend who partied with them.

I also wonder if on other occasions, Kohberger drove to Moscow and parked elsewhere, in order to practice entering the neighborhood on foot. OTOH, one of my theories is that he was casing more than one house, looking for specific weakness/variables/inhabitants known only to himself (but we can speculate).
I wonder the same. Often.

It’s hard to convey the vibe of a neighborhood, but there are probably hundreds of pretty young women in that oddly spread but densely populated just off-campus neighborhood.

Perhaps BK’s circling that awful night was him deciding which out of several felt right?

MOO, as always.

I wonder the same. Often.

It’s hard to convey the vibe of a neighborhood, but there are probably hundreds of pretty young women in that oddly spread but densely populated just off-campus neighborhood.

Perhaps BK’s circling that awful night was him deciding which out of several felt right?

MOO, as always.
Yes, I could see that horrible possibility. I still think that the house and it's layout was part of the attraction to that location choice. 2 pretty girls walking into a locked lobby of an apartment complex would be less alluring, than a big 'fishbowl' of a house with lots of entrances and exits, and lots of secret vantage points, where you can see into various windows.

3 reasons why BK's attorney could be getting his mail:

1.) Death threats:

2.) Mail BK gets can incriminate him in court:
  • Never write anything about the inmate's court case you wouldn't want read aloud in court.
  • Assume that everything you write will be read by jail staff and can and will be used against you or your inmate in court.

3.) Drugs causing jail to reroute mail to 3rd party:

Staff at the Latah County Jail has increasingly been finding letters that are being mailed to inmates being dipped into illegal drugs in liquid form. Because of this crime they may be eliminating all direct mail from families and friends and moving to a system where all personal mail (not legal) is sent to a third party who will either provide photocopies of your letters or will forward them in a digital form to be read by inmates on terminals in their unit.

Instructions on this service are listed below, or will be outlined in detail when this new policy takes affect. If you have any questions, call the Latah County Jail at 208-882-2216.
Yeah, I’m suspicious of that web site, YMMV & MOO. I’ve heard nothing like that here, nothing has been reported locally, or discussed in Latah BOCC (Board of County Commissioners) meetings. Anything is possible, of course, but I have to wonder how some commercial Web site would have that info when county officials don’t. Again, MOO.

Yes, I could see that horrible possibility. I still think that the house and it's layout was part of the attraction to that location choice. 2 pretty girls walking into a locked lobby of an apartment complex would be less alluring, than a big 'fishbowl' of a house with lots of entrances and exits, and lots of secret vantage points, where you can see into various windows.
All very good points!

We’ve not discussed the rest of the neighborhood much, nor will I for obvious reasons, but there are quite a few houses in that general neighborhood that are just as vulnerable & visible, or nearly so. The murder house was the most iconic one (MOO), but it’s not the only one.

I look at everything differently when I drive in that area now. Four young people were senselessly & brutally murdered & the carefree & communal vibe is just forever gone for me, I think.

All very good points!

We’ve not discussed the rest of the neighborhood much, nor will I for obvious reasons, but there are quite a few houses in that general neighborhood that are just as vulnerable & visible, or nearly so. The murder house was the most iconic one (MOO), but it’s not the only one.

I look at everything differently when I drive in that area now. Four young people were senselessly & brutally murdered & the carefree & communal vibe is just forever gone for me, I think.
I read that the plan is to create memorial garden on the site? If that happens then I hope that will help a little with community healing over time. I'm so sorry..just wanted to extend that to you; as a local who is reminded on a daily basis. MOO

With so many social media platforms involved in this case (and in general), is this a new frontier for police departments?

Moscow is a small town, I wouldn't even call it a city, per se. Are police departments relying on outside forces to handle the various social media accounts involved and is it the FBI that has provided that support for Moscow?

Given the voluminous amount of data in this case, is this just the tip of the iceberg in how future trials will deal with timelines?
Interesting points, and the volume of potential data here is humungus - these were 4 young popular students who were socially active and internet active. MOO

What you say about fbi involvement in analysing/helping with digital forensics is probably correct Imo. I'm sorry to be unable to go through warrants again right now and isolate specific egs (anyone else?), but in some of the Lawrence Mowery basic summary affidavits attached to some of the warrants (and I believe this includes some of the Tinder warrants but perhaps also some reddit and/or google?) there is a blank where the affidavit states something like this:
" I received the requested info on [so and so a date]...
The download was emailed to [blank]..."

MOO.

Informative post, as was the one by Cool Cats to whom you are responding here (100%).

Once we know this is primarily a murder by stranger, the question of motive becomes one of trying to apply normal human reasoning to a monster. Even in a "road rage" type killing, we can see that a killer felt disrespected and threatened but it is not really possible to make the decision to murder someone over a driving issue a "normal" motive. What I'm saying is that what would be a typical motive to a person known by the victim (money, jealousy, "If I can't have you no one can"), just can't apply to a stranger. Such a murderer is killing to feed some twisted psychological need or enact some hideous fantasy that is personal and idiosyncratic to him. So it's not really a "motive" in the sense of providing a rational explanation. It's going to be some sick compulsion.
in some cases).
"Such a murderer is killing to feed some twisted psychological need or enact some hideous fantasy that is personal and idiosyncratic to him."

Clearly expressed. This is exactly what I mean and expressed far more succinctly.

EBM spelling

First paragraph above BBM

I don't believe I said the CC credits were an issue. I was just pointing out he finished at the CC in 2018. So if that meant spring or summer of 2018, there's no reason to think that he'd have waited until fall of 2019 to start at DeSales. So IMO chances are he was at DeSales for longer than the 3 years you mentioned. He could have been there for up to four years if he began at DeSales in fall 2018, or at least 3 1/2 years if he began in spring 2019. Being there longer would certainly have allowed him to have taken extra electives at either the undergrad or grad level. As you said, he'd not have had much left to do for the undergrad PSY degree that he earned in 2020. (Finishing up PSY in two years with a CC AA wouldn't have required acceleration IMO.) And as I said in my post, the DeSales CJ grad degree is only 30-semester hours. Earning 30 semester hours in two years after earning the PSY degree in 2020 wouldn't have been so demanding that he couldn't have fit in some cloud/digital electives.

So I don't think we know what courses he took at DeSales. And I don't know if the LE statement about his education credentials from the interview panel was based only on his essay. The essay quote provided doesn't mention any claims about coursework or education background. It only mentions "interests." And the blurb says the education information put in the affidavit came from "records" -- To me that doesn't mean an essay but maybe an essay is an education "record" to others. Regardless, MSM blurbs can also be bad paraphrasing of what was said.

I agree with you BK may not have truly learned what he was studying. Good grades don't always mean good understanding, unfortunately.
JMO

Here's in detail what was required for the Pullman Public Safety Research Position.

Attachments

• FxImCFYXoAE2l7n.jpeg
    FxImCFYXoAE2l7n.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 71
  • FxImCFQXsAEOxrq.jpeg
    FxImCFQXsAEOxrq.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 61
  • FxImCFUXoAYE1Ur.jpeg
    FxImCFUXoAYE1Ur.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 54
  • FxImKprXgAAAUCx.jpeg
    FxImKprXgAAAUCx.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 51
  • FxImKqSXoAAzh6y (1).jpeg
    FxImKqSXoAAzh6y (1).jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 35
  • FxImKsBXoAMZFnW.jpeg
    FxImKsBXoAMZFnW.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 53
So I don't think we know what courses he took at DeSales. And I don't know if the LE statement about his education credentials from the interview panel was based only on his essay. The essay quote provided doesn't mention any claims about coursework or education background. It only mentions "interests." And the blurb says the education information put in the affidavit came from "records" -- To me that doesn't mean an essay but maybe an essay is an education "record" to others. Regardless, MSM blurbs can also be bad paraphrasing of what was said.

I agree with you BK may not have truly learned what he was studying. Good grades don't always mean good understanding, unfortunately.
JMO
RSBM

It's true that we don't know for fact which courses BK took based solely on the "records" statement in the PCA. We also have no indication, one way or another, on how well BK understood his studies.

But LE included this information in the affidavit, which, imo, suggests that LE has the "records" to support the statement, and perhaps considered it of some significance at the time. Or at least they weren't dismissive of it. Clearly, BK did show an interest in the technological aspects of criminal investigation, so regardless of how well he did or did not comprehend the information, it possibly could have played a role in how he carried out the crime. Maybe this interest was even part of the motivation behind the crime to begin with. We don't have any idea. Jmo.

Interesting points, and the volume of potential data here is humungus - these were 4 young popular students who were socially active and internet active. MOO

What you say about fbi involvement in analysing/helping with digital forensics is probably correct Imo. I'm sorry to be unable to go through warrants again right now and isolate specific egs (anyone else?), but in some of the Lawrence Mowery basic summary affidavits attached to some of the warrants (and I believe this includes some of the Tinder warrants but perhaps also some reddit and/or google?) there is a blank where the affidavit states something like this:
" I received the requested info on [so and so a date]...
The download was emailed to [blank]..."

MOO.

Good Memory @jepop ! I also saw mention of an FBI FA in a receipt.

1685877071130.png

MOO

I agree. It's interesting to me, too. One would think that there would be a financial trail left by BK as well, but we've seen no warrants for his info. They must exist, so why haven't they been posted to the case information? All that we know of that they have for BK (outside of the arrest warrants) is AT&T, Google times two, Reddit, TikTok, Twitter, YikYak, and Tinder, and then the Seagate drive. (@Nila Aella - did I get them all?)

I'm surprised that MSM is just now talking about these Snapchat & other SM warrants, too. They finally alluded to the scope, but no one is digging into that.
I feel positive LE/FBI have been digging into every single thing connected to BK. Social Media, financials, phone records, disciplinary actions by WSU and previous educators. Former friends, girls he might have dated/known; when they dig, they go deep.

With the gag order in place, I'm not surprised this information in trickling in piece by piece.

ALL MOO

You got them all :)

I do suspect a couple other warrants that are related to BK, looking at the identifiers and fair trial portions of the warrant. Need more information on those to really know. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NPOL1566