4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. However, I do think this is being caused by the gag order. Lacking any other news about the case, some journalist (or jounalists) has/have decided to investigate BK's past and write articles about his past coloring them with what he is accused of. First we had him lying about cutting fish, now we have him attending an event with mostly women to perhaps stalk them or select a victim. I'm sure the media can go on and on this way making him look more and more guilty for nearly anything he has ever done right up to the trial.

But what makes you think the lifting of the gag order will make it stop? Instead, it'll just force journalists to spend 24/7 twisting facts for added speculation. The MSM is completely out of control.

MOO.

The images themselves are no big deal to me, at least not as much as some people on SM are making it out to be. What got my attention was when people started asking about Page 118. If you recall, in the search warrant for his home in PA, Item #2 is "Book with underlining on Page 118" (SS and link to full list below). That has some significance, don't you think? Some initially speculated Elliot Rodgers manifesto, but that is not in book form that I know....MOO

Ok, but that still doesn't tell me anything. So what if page 118 of some book was underlined? Without knowing what book, what edition, what kind of copy, and what the passage said, it means nothing, IMO. We have no idea what it was LE found or why something was underlined.

James Pattison claims he has found new information about BK:

Now that Pattison has announced this, other people in the media are going to try to find what Pattison found. Everyone who has ever known BK is going to be besieged by the media, IMO. It's honestly, almost like Pattison just issued a dare. AND this book he is writing is scheduled to come out BEFORE the trial.

James Pattison claims he has found new information about BK:

Now that Pattison has announced this, other people in the media are going to try to find what Pattison found. Everyone who has ever known BK is going to be besieged by the media, IMO. It's honestly, almost like Pattison just issued a dare. AND this book he is writing is scheduled to come out BEFORE the trial.
I don't know how I feel about this, I don't see it as beneficial to anyone other than Patterson, if he had information it should have been given to the authorities.... just my thoughts.

Ok, but that still doesn't tell me anything. So what if page 118 of some book was underlined? Without knowing what book, what edition, what kind of copy, and what the passage said, it means nothing, IMO. We have no idea what it was LE found or why something was underlined.
All true, I'm not arguing that at all. I guess it's just morbid curiosity of what book it was, and what was underlined on Page 118.

But what makes you think the lifting of the gag order will make it stop? Instead, it'll just force journalists to spend 24/7 twisting facts for added speculation. The MSM is completely out of control.

MOO.
It will not make it stop 100%, but getting official news from official sources, should calm things down considerably. The dearth of information is causing MSM to make up stuff to make the defendant look as guilty as possible before the trial. IMO, that WILL poison the jury pool much more than exposing the facts of the investigation before the trial.

Motion hearings for gag order in U of I murders case set for Friday​

Court documents say the first motion hearing on behalf of Shannon Gray, the Goncalves' attorney, will be held at 10:30 a.m. PT. The second will be held at 1:30 p.m. PT on behalf of the media outlets.

It will not make it stop 100%, but getting official news from official sources, should calm things down considerably. The dearth of information is causing MSM to make up stuff to make the defendant look as guilty as possible before the trial. IMO, that WILL poison the jury pool much more than exposing the facts of the investigation before the trial.

I disagree. If they're going to slam him for stuff not even connected to the crime, they'll do that regardless. And honestly, IMO, the reason the state is on-board with the gag order is maybe because unsavory things may also be said about a victim if the gag order is lifted. That's speculation on my part based on the state agreeing with the gag order, coupled with all those warrants that, IMO, imply at least one of the victims knew BK before the murders. I also think there are a number of others who could be affected based on the warrants. For all of these reasons, the gag order should remain, IMO.

Last edited:

"NBC’s Dateline released another special on this case on May 19, 2023..."

"Using the same playbook the Media has chosen throughout this case, the special gets details of the investigation wrong (despite access to the arrest affidavit), it chooses to treat Mr. Kohberger as already guilty (asking multiple “experts” to speculate as to how and why he committed the murders without once asking if the police have the right person), and it provides audiences with made up evidence of Mr. Kohberger’s character that will never see the inside of a courtroom. It even had a “leak”, just a little over two weeks after the Media claimed there were none. Media’s Brief, at *1.

The upshot of this and similar media stories is a constant feedback loop of people crying out for Mr. Kohberger’s blood. One of those that now leads that pack happens to be a lawyer who has inserted himself into this case- Mr. Gray, who despite the Order not to communicate to the media-
can be seen doing just that over and over again ever since the indictment occurred."

I don't know how I feel about this, I don't see it as beneficial to anyone other than Patterson, if he had information it should have been given to the authorities.... just my thoughts.
I also thought it was odd that the book is supposed to come out before the trial. Although, maybe he's just covering from the crime to arrest, or something.

Could be (although that's managed in another part of the U of I hierarchy - I'm not sure how it could rise to the level of Title IX, unless of course (and this is possible), the sororities filed a complaint, alleging (as they have done in the press) that the U of I goes easier on fraternities. Indeed, in the year right before the murders, there was one fraternity that was also heavily sanctioned (the one that KG's boyfriend belonged to). All of this was around drinking and drugs.

Therefore, if someone made that a gender issue, then Title IX/OCRI office would have to investigate and would have records. This could just be part of eliminating other possible suspects. There have been different rumors about the two sororities, whether they had any hazing and who, if anyone, inside those sororities might have been responsible.

IMO.

I see at least 11 other males in that photo. MOO

It's possible that Atwood's book was a required reading for a course they took at the community college and that students in the course were asked to attend Atwood's lecture if they could, and that is why BK was there. The college would have also likely opened up Atwood's lecture to all students who wanted to attend.

All JMO.

Have not read it generally because this type of material does not appeal, anything that reinforces misogynistic thinking (even if it is brought up by the author to question societies roles of women) is something I would not want to be associated with, let alone be photographed attending.

It could be symbolic of how he sees women (remember the birthing hips comment from the girl he went on a date with?), where some of his ideas come from/cross over, or merely a student event attended.

I do not think it's related to the page 118 reference whatsoever. Just another weird aspect to BK, IMHO.

Atwood's body of work on women's rights is...impeccable. At any rate, the book is definitely triggering, but actually and merely represents cultural norms from various existing human societies, over a fairly recent period of time (since so-called "Civilization" began). There's nothing in Handmaid's Tale that isn't, for example, in the Old Testament (it's just filled with lots of fictional details of course).

For those of us whose lives were changed (positively) by reading Atwood's work, the feeling about those books is very different. It's clearly a dystopian nightmare (as opposed to accepted norms and further promulgation of destroying women's rights). For my undergraduate students, the series (is it Netflix?) has been routinely mentioned as "life changing" and made Atwood one of the 12 "heroes" they give when I ask them for hero lists. At least, for many young women, that's true (and it's an ethnically diverse group who love her; they say "she gets it"). Some people are already living aspects of The Handmaid's Tale, which now seems prescient, but it's also really tragic; the book carefully explores the feelings of women who are denied reproductive rights and the human will to be free.

Impossible to say what Kohberger learned at this reading (his man-sprawling in the front row would be funny if not for the current context). Maybe the whole psychology club was there. Maybe he considers himself a feminist (I can imagine that scenario as well).

Maybe it did increase his anti-woman ideas (hard to say he doesn't have those, again, given the current context).

All speculation. At least we have something new to speculate upon.

IMO.

It's possible that Atwood's book was a required reading for a course they took at the community college and that students in the course were asked to attend Atwood's lecture if they could, and that is why BK was there. The college would have also likely opened up Atwood's lecture to all students who wanted to attend.

All JMO.
The blurb in the newsletter also says the actual lecture was sold out and was an annual National Endowment for the Humanities lecture. Don't know if that means students needed to buy tickets. But the pic with BK in it and the one posted above taken in the same room without him weren't lecture pics. The lecture was in an auditorium as the pic posted by @Nila Aella shows. My guess is the other pics may show a meeting with students in classes that had read her book. But that's just a guess. The caption says "selected students, faculty, and staff."
JMO

The blurb in the newsletter also says the actual lecture was sold out and was an annual National Endowment for the Humanities lecture. Don't know if that means students needed to buy tickets. But the pic with BK in it and the one posted above taken in the same room without him weren't lecture pics. The lecture was in an auditorium as the pic posted by @Nila Aella shows. My guess is the other pics may show a meeting with students in classes that had read her book. But that's just a guess. The caption says "selected students, faculty, and staff."
JMO
Agree, often when a well-known individual speaks at a college or university s/he will also attend other functions beforehand, such as visiting with a class or smaller group of students and faculty. I think that is likely how/why BK ended up in the group photo. The NEH-funded lecture in the auditorium was likely open to faculty, staff, students and the general public.

It looks like both pictures of Atwood with students were taken from the same original photo (the one with BK in it).

The photo without BK looks like it was cropped, with BK no longer in it.

So it looks like Northampton Community College (NCC) has an endowed annual lecture series that was funded by both the NEH and donors. And each year the college selects a humanities theme to explore, and for the year of the Atwood visit the theme was "exploring the many facets of identity."

The free lecture was open to the public and to faculty, staff and students at NCC.

So my guess is that Humanities classes selected books that explored identity, and if they knew that Atwood would be their speaker that year, then it made sense to select that particular novel - especially since it was made popular by the movie made from the book around that time, IIRC.

I think it makes sense that BK would attend, given he was a student at NCC at the time, and he would naturally attend with his other classmates.

I see at least 11 other males in that photo. MOO
I do too.

It doesn't really surprise me though to see more women in the pictures of an event with Atwood. And I'm not sure I'm ready to speculate about the psyches of men who did attend the event. But it's interesting to note the F/M split enrolled at NCC in 2018-2019 (closest to spring 2018 I could find) was 61%/39%.

https://www.usnews.com/education/co...hampton-county-area-community-college-CC06111

So seeing more women in the pictures makes sense for that reason too.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member