4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
D: "Almost exactly what the judge was concerned about in the Vallow case... Close up shots of my client... Everyone has some oddball thing to say about it." Logsdon: we have no trust filming of the trial can be done right and object to cameras in the future.

Defense talks about Derek Chauvin case. "That's not what we are getting -- We are getting Lori Vallow Daybell style camera use, and that is what we're opposed to."

JUDGE WILL MAKE NO DECISIONS TODAY

Defense of course opposes cameras and doesn't trust that it could be done right "The way filming is being done is problematic" (ie lots of filming of client, prejudical closeups)

The State takes no position citing it as Judge's discretion but shares concerns: - sensitive witneses - There’s potential of tainting jury pool - Concern of witnesses watching coverage

Continued-Cameras in courtroom: - may reduce the number of media in the courtroom bc they can use a pool feed. - What cams in courtroom do, it provides an opportunity to educate the public.

Media Attorney Argument for Cameras: - This case has impacted community, they should have opportunity to observe proceedings as they occur. Not everyone can make it into courthouse, could be complicated if it’s moved. - For families, it’s a way for them to observe

Judge: what concerns me is how the media manipulates the pictures/videos from the courtroom..

Judge: ive never denied a camera in the courtroom before...but this is a different case...

NOW THE JUDGE IS HEARING ARGUMENTS ON CAMERAS IN THE COURTROOM

The State is now making final statements saying it concurs with the defense...

Defense believes the current gag order is working...

Defense attorney: The push here to try to show, in every way possible, the State has a right; this is their guy, and how soon we can get him to the firing squad.. It’s grotesque

Defense final arguments to preserve the gag order: - The enormous amount of press is one-sided - No one will talk to the defense team, b/c no one wants to burst the bubble of the mob of media coming for them...

Media attorney now asking this defense expert questions... You don’t have research for jury bias in your CV? Correct.

Dr. El-Alayli: It is extremely difficult to set aside a bias in a potential juror even when they say they can in jury selection - We should prevent that bias in the first place

Dr. El-Alayli: its not possible for someone to answer accurately if they've been exposed to pre-trial publicity as some may be subconscious -Our default is to be bias

After a short break, the Defense calls Witness #2 Dr. Amani El-Alayli, Professor of Social Psychology at Eastern Washington University.. "When people are exposed to prejudicial pre-trial publicity it does effect guilty verdicts..." #BryanKohberger nods his head in agreement

#BryanKohberger just walked back inside the courtroom for a Second Hearing of the Day... This one is expected to focus on the Media Coalition's effort to vacate the extensive gag order over the case..

JUDGE WILL MAKE NO DECISIONS TODAY

Defense of course opposes cameras and doesn't trust that it could be done right "The way filming is being done is problematic" (ie lots of filming of client, prejudical closeups)

The State takes no position citing it as Judge's discretion but shares concerns: - sensitive witneses - There’s potential of tainting jury pool - Concern of witnesses watching coverage

Continued-Cameras in courtroom: - may reduce the number of media in the courtroom bc they can use a pool feed. - What cams in courtroom do, it provides an opportunity to educate the public.

Media Attorney Argument for Cameras: - This case has impacted community, they should have opportunity to observe proceedings as they occur. Not everyone can make it into courthouse, could be complicated if it’s moved. - For families, it’s a way for them to observe

Judge: what concerns me is how the media manipulates the pictures/videos from the courtroom..

Judge: ive never denied a camera in the courtroom before...but this is a different case...

NOW THE JUDGE IS HEARING ARGUMENTS ON CAMERAS IN THE COURTROOM

The State is now making final statements saying it concurs with the defense...

Defense believes the current gag order is working...

Defense attorney: The push here to try to show, in every way possible, the State has a right; this is their guy, and how soon we can get him to the firing squad.. It’s grotesque

Defense final arguments to preserve the gag order: - The enormous amount of press is one-sided - No one will talk to the defense team, b/c no one wants to burst the bubble of the mob of media coming for them...

Media attorney now asking this defense expert questions... You don’t have research for jury bias in your CV? Correct.

Dr. El-Alayli: It is extremely difficult to set aside a bias in a potential juror even when they say they can in jury selection - We should prevent that bias in the first place

Dr. El-Alayli: its not possible for someone to answer accurately if they've been exposed to pre-trial publicity as some may be subconscious -Our default is to be bias

After a short break, the Defense calls Witness #2 Dr. Amani El-Alayli, Professor of Social Psychology at Eastern Washington University.. "When people are exposed to prejudicial pre-trial publicity it does effect guilty verdicts..." #BryanKohberger nods his head in agreement

#BryanKohberger just walked back inside the courtroom for a Second Hearing of the Day... This one is expected to focus on the Media Coalition's effort to vacate the extensive gag order over the case..

1:30 PM PT

Love hearing the back and forth legal antics. BUT, as the saying goes, you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig (and I actually like pigs).

An Armani tuxedo will not hide guilt. IMO.
Yup.

The evidence decides it not clothes.

I think street clothes go with the spirit of the law, where the law says a defendant is innocent until proven guilty. Street clothes help show that.

"See, my client is just a normal looking person who looks as innocent as anyone else and the evidence must prove them guilty."

 But wearing ill fitting jail garb such as
black and white stripes, ugly bright orange, washed out tan, along with those ugly orange shower shoes, just gives the impression that the defendant is guilty and has to be proven innocent.

Not the attitude you want to show the jury.

I am indifferent about the gag order, but when it comes to the trial I really hope they don't ban cameras in the courtroom. I'm fine if they never show the defendant at all during it, I just want to hear the evidence and testimony and am willing to wait until trial to do so if necessary.

According to live tweets (link posted immediately above) - Gray appears to be Grandstanding. The judge made a lovely apology regarding getting the victims' names wrong at the arraignment. Good judge is Judge John Judge. Moo
So you have judged Judge Judge to be a worthy judge according to your judgment, eh? Sorry…just couldn’t stop myself.

What is a Jack Nicholson moment, if I might ask, respectfully? I've never heard that reference before. TIA
Really you guys (ETA: all folks) I didn't know what a Jack Nicholson moment was !

At first I thought of his signature roles in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, then Easy Rider, then The Shining, then As Good As It Gets, then Something's Gotta Give..... and I wasn't sure if I was not remembering meaningful quotes of the characters he played in those movies, if it was just a reference to his "je ne sais quoi", or whatever. :cool:

And though I did watch A Few Good Men what seems like ages ago, and remember that famous line now, I was lost in the woods of possible JN refs, so thanks for rescuing me !

Back to this case, yes, I do want the truth to come out and hope I can handle it.

Peaceout....

Last edited:
Thank you. @Cindizzi What???? BK wants more time to come up with/for his alibi. There's too much evidence; defense appears to be looking for an alibi in the prosecution's discovery evidence. Thompson does seem to know where BK was at the time of the murders; maybe defense hasn't found that page yet.

JMO. edit probably looking for a witness to discredit MOOOOO

19-519. NOTICE OF DEFENSE OF ALIBI.

Last edited:
Thank you. @Cindizzi What???? BK wants more time to come up with/for his alibi. There's too much evidence; defense appears to be looking for an alibi in the prosecution's discovery evidence. Thompson does seem to know where BK was at the time of the murders; maybe defense hasn't found that page yet.

JMO. edit probably looking for a witness to discredit MOOOOO

19-519. NOTICE OF DEFENSE OF ALIBI.
Anne Taylor quite literally explains the very reason for an exception or extension of time in the motion. And the reason is the sheer complexity of the case due to the multiple charges and the large volume of evidence, it's going to take longer far longer than usual to prepare an alibi for defense.

It's also not out of the realm of possibility to discover an alibi in evidence that the defence simply hasn't had the opportunity to go over.

Butcher 4 kids in their beds and there WILL be media.
It's actually guaranteed.
What do we expect here for our PhD bright light?
A bouquet?

Seriously though I do support and agree with the sealing because of the threat to witnesses, I'm not sure the entire trial should be off camera at all.
It doesn't bring the catharsis necessary for healing to begin and that is also a function of justice IMO

BBM. But that's kind of the point though, right? We (generic we, not you and me) have him tried and convicted already. When the majority of those following have you tried and convicted before you even go to trial, IMO, the point is more than made that there is and will continue to be bias. The question now is how to reduce/cap it.

MOO.

Snipped for focus. It really bugs the way the media is using "the good of the community" approach to get what they want. If they really cared about the community getting to observe the trial, they'd ask for a closed circuit feed only for Moscow residents with a gag order on wider dissemination.

MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members