4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have an alibi I'm just going to give it I don't need additional time. PERIOD.
IANAL but I think an "alibi" may be more than just "defendant's mother says he was home watching The Price Is Right".

It might also be security footage--not yet located--showing BK's car elsewhere during the killings. I AM NOT SAYING such evidence exists, just that the defense may still be looking for it.

I agree with Helechawagirls judgement of the person who judged Judge John Judge as a worthy judge of judging this case for a fair judgement .
Cripes!! English hey ??
I knew someone could do it Justice! Thank you. No disrespect. Just a moment of levity to counter the horror of this event. Sitting there, bk looks just like an “average Joe” sitting in the audience. You’d never know if he was sitting next to you in a theater or on a bus.

IANAL but I think an "alibi" may be more than just "defendant's mother says he was home watching The Price Is Right".

It might also be security footage--not yet located--showing BK's car elsewhere during the killings. I AM NOT SAYING such evidence exists, just that the defense may still be looking for it.
Yea and he “might” have slipped thru time and space to another dimension, but I doubt it. JMO

So, any publicity that doesn't favor a defendant could also favor a defendant. How do you mitigate bias that is already there? There isn't really a solution, El-Alayli said. She also said juror deliberation can make bias worse

As I posted many threads ago, IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE of jury deliberations (no truly famous trials), the presence of 11 other people didn't mean anyone's secret bias infected the others. On the contrary, when biases surfaced, there were always others who calmly corrected the prejudice.

(Look at what happens here at WS! Despite media hostility toward BK, we have more than a few posters who continue to caution us against premature conclusions.)

I'm not saying El-Alayli is wrong. She is the expert.

But I do think there is a reason we have 12 people in the box.

Right. It may be annoying that they want more time, but if he has one, he has one. The point is supposed to be that the correct person/people end(s) up in prison, not that everyone shuffles the trial along to close the case.

The reality is the condition of the victims will not change if the defense is allowed more time.

I feel so sorry for the people who get selected with the anecdotes they will hear and the photos they may see. Not nice at all and certainly very difficult times

As to the trial … he seems to have a strong defence team who are going to go as hard as they can at proving his innocence and also enduring appeal is possible so I do hope the case against him is watertight.

On the possibility that the wrong person has been arrested , which to me seems the only way he can be claiming innocence I would hope the investigation is leaving no stone unturned

Love hearing the back and forth legal antics. BUT, as the saying goes, you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig (and I actually like pigs).

An Armani tuxedo will not hide guilt. IMO.
Just one question - who paid for Kohberger's new threads? If it's the Idaho taxpayers, aren't we just the nicest people?

His head looks like it doesnt belong in this pic and where did his long neck go? MOO

Edit to add: Look a couple of posts above at Nila's pic, you cant even see his head in the pic she posted, did the photographer ask him to duck? LOL
He’s wearing a really stiff jacket thats sized wrong (hard for us long limbed tall folk). It’s too short for him to sit on and hold down but just long enough to touch and lift up off the chair. The structured shoulders (bordering on shoulder pads) amplifies the weirdness of this all.

Next time you’re at a wedding look all around at the men with the ill fitting off the shelf cheap suits. If their sitting and they kept their suit jackets on they’ll all look like BK in this photo.

If turtles could sit up right this is what it would probably look like with their shells.

MOO

Last edited:
IMO this reply by W Olson makes some great points.

Reply in Support of Motion to Vacate the Amended Nondissemination Order

What the Gag Order has done is reduce the amount of quality information provided by responsible individuals in a reasonable and dispassionate manner. The absence of that information does not curb the public’s interest; it creates a vacuum for bloggers, social media users, internet sleuths, and less ethical media outlets to publish rampant speculation that the public will consume when there is no better information available. That speculation, which at times can be inflammatory, can potentially saturate the internet, which may make it more difficult to empanel an unbiased jury. That is, the Gag Order—which prohibits any comments concerning the case, including those comments that could help Mr. Kohberger—actually works against Mr. Kohberger’s Sixth Amendment interests. And in the process, the Gag Order reduces the public’s ability to evaluate how the criminal justice system functions in the areas surrounding Moscow, and how public institutions like local police departments, prosecutors’ offices, and public defenders’ offices are performing—all information of great interest to the public when deciding issues like whether their communities are safe, which personnel should fill elected roles, and whether budgets should be increased or decreased.

It Looks like the State has provided the D with more discovery. MOO

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR29-22-2805/060823 States Supplemental Response to Defendants 1st 2nd 3rd Supplemental Requests for Discovery.pdf

COMES NOW the State of Idaho, by and through the Latah County Prosecuting Attorney, and submits the following supplemental response:
l. supplemental response to “Defendant’s 1st Supplemental Request for Discovery” filed on February 3, 2023, is attached as Exhibit A.
2. supplemental response to “Defendant’s 2nd Supplemental Request for Discovery" filed on March 23, 2023, is attached as Exhibit B.

Which has a temporary order sealing:

Court does hereby confirm and ORDER that Exhibits and are confidential, exempt from disclosure and are SEALED pursuant to Idaho Court Administrative Rule 32(g)(1) for the reasons stated in the said Motion and until hearing can be held on the matter

This is the rule cited for sealing:

(g) Court records exempt from disclosure. Except as provided in paragraph (h) of this rule, court records specified below are exempt from disclosure. Any willful or intentional disclosure or accessing of a sealed or exempt court record, not otherwise authorized under this rule, may be treated as a contempt of court.

(1) Documents and records to which access is otherwise restricted by state or federal law;

ETA Temporary Order to Seal

Last edited:
IMO this reply by W Olson makes some great points.

Reply in Support of Motion to Vacate the Amended Nondissemination Order

What the Gag Order has done is reduce the amount of quality information provided by responsible individuals in a reasonable and dispassionate manner. The absence of that information does not curb the public’s interest; it creates a vacuum for bloggers, social media users, internet sleuths, and less ethical media outlets to publish rampant speculation that the public will consume when there is no better information available. That speculation, which at times can be inflammatory, can potentially saturate the internet, which may make it more difficult to empanel an unbiased jury. That is, the Gag Order—which prohibits any comments concerning the case, including those comments that could help Mr. Kohberger—actually works against Mr. Kohberger’s Sixth Amendment interests. And in the process, the Gag Order reduces the public’s ability to evaluate how the criminal justice system functions in the areas surrounding Moscow, and how public institutions like local police departments, prosecutors’ offices, and public defenders’ offices are performing—all information of great interest to the public when deciding issues like whether their communities are safe, which personnel should fill elected roles, and whether budgets should be increased or decreased.
In the absence of facts, it provides an environment for rampant speculation; I don’t really see a need for the gag order. Outside of this group and the true crime community at large, lot of folks haven’t heard about this case at all. And I believe jurors have the ability to look at a case impartially. JMO

Defendants response to States request for Discovery/Alibi

Basically the response states investigation and preparation for D is underway. Did find the following statement under #3.

3. list of the names and addresses of all witnesses the defendant intends to call at trial.

Mr. Kohberger does intend to call individuals named in the State’s supplied discovery materials.

MOO

Motion for an Exception OR to extend time IC 19 519

As I read this: The D is asking for an exception to this code OR an extention of time

In the Motion, the D cited 5 of the code:

(5) For good cause shown the court may grant an exception to any of the requirements of subsections (1) through (4) of this section.

Interesting:

Mr. Kohberger and his defense team continue to both navigate discovery disclosed by the state and investigate the charges against Mr. Kohberger. Compliance with I.C. §l9—Sl9 is, at minimum, premature as wading through the extensive information that makes up the case is incomplete. Compliance with I.C. §19~519 may tread into disclosures of protected information. The defense needs time to make this determination and consider evidentiary rules. As such, Mr. Kohberger respectfully requests an exception to compliance with I.C. §l 9-519 or an extension of time.

BBM
MOO

If I have an alibi I'm just going to give it I don't need additional time. PERIOD.
Thank you @Chloegirl Exactly. Please, I still know where I was when I heard Kennedy was shot.
All of UofIdaho and WSU students got text alerts on that Sunday. BK was a criminology student. He would have been interested. They talked about the murders in classes. BK spoke about the murders to his neighbor. This was/is a major event in a small town. Safe to say, most students know where they were when they heard about the murders and what they were doing the night before--the could-have-been-me thoughts. If a normal ordinary person had an alibi or witness or reason or anything to explain or verify his whereabouts, they tell it rather than sit in jail for six months or two years or longer. AFAIK It's not Thompson's job to provide alibi catalogs or collections--here pick an alibi from this group. If BK had any excuse, the defense would know exactly where to look in all that evidence or would have collected it before now. It feels like the defense is seeing what collected evidence or witness they can manipulate to use as an alibi. OK good for BK. BK's right to play lawyer (finally gets to put his education to use) helping in his defense, make full use and get every benefit from the system he studied. Could he be buying time before his eager-to-be-exonerated trial bc he's enjoying this part so much? Talking to intellectuals about crime, research and papers fits him like a glove. This could go on for decades if the DP is on the table.

If u enter a plea u accept validity of ......any situation you don't want to admit to. Very similar to tickling, touching a date, then just say no I didn't; make waitresses uncomfortable, just say don't know what u'r talking about; pulled over for traffic stop, just say actually I was doing something else. This is who BK is. He denies or says nothing, it's part of his game. As for me, this is further validation on BK's guilt scale.

My hat's off to the parents, friends, and families of the murdered victims who watch and wait as they sit silent.

I wait to hear new evidence from the court. Until then this is my opinion.

Now looking at a similar chart of "non-authority figures" and "media coverage." Media coverage includes Shannon Gray (Goncalves attorney), Rebecca Boone (Associated Press) and @CoffindafferFBI (former law enforcement official). There is no discussion of the findings of this graph, only briefly acknowledging it.

Wouldn't/couldn't Shannon Gray and this Coffiander be considered 'authority figures' by many in the public? Not directly connected to the case as such, but Gray as an Attorney of a victim's family, and Coffiander because she is ex FBI? Their opining might carry more 'weight' in the public mind? Granted, I haven't read the report yet, so don't know how that category is defined. Moo

edit spelling

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads