4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sassyblue I'm sorry that happened to you! Thanks for the clarification about the 30 days.
So basically, by the time BK was arrested, all DOT footage that was not already requested by the prosecution would have disappeared.
The defense therefore cannot have gathered any public video footage after BK's arrest and is entirely reliant on the footage the prosecution can provide.

I know in my area of Idaho, which isn't close to Moscow, the traffic light footage is supposedly kept for 30 days.

I was told that by a detective investigating a crime against me at an intersection. The driver in a car ahead of me shined a green laser light directly in my eyes.

I made the report the morning after the incident and the detective was able to view it on the traffic light camera. No charges were brought though because the actual owner/driver said someone had stolen their car that day and although I had a complete description of the driver which matched the owner no charges were filed because the driver was unidentifiable in the footage.

I'm still on the lookout for that crazy woman.

Yeh, she is a liar.

@sassyblue I'm sorry that happened to you! Thanks for the clarification about the 30 days.
So basically, by the time BK was arrested, all DOT footage that was not already requested by the prosecution would have disappeared.
The defense therefore cannot have gathered any public video footage after BK's arrest and is entirely reliant on the footage the prosecution can provide.
I know the town I spoke of is not part of the DOT system. All the traffic cameras that were installed here are part of the local government. So I too wonder how long footage is retained in the Moscow area. But I agree with your conclusion that they are entirely reliant on what the Pros have.

I did a little exploring on some different types of cameras and their storage time.
For Ring cameras, the default for Ring Protect subscribers is 60 days. Subscribers can adjust from it from 1 day up to 180 days. If you don't subscribe to Ring Protect, it's live only.

Generally you can also download any video you want to keep longer. When the police initially put out requests for video, I assume many people saved what they had. Though I would also assume anyone who did save anything already offered it to the police.

I know the town I spoke of is not part of the DOT system. All the traffic cameras that were installed here are part of the local government. So I too wonder how long footage is retained in the Moscow area. But I agree with your conclusion that they are entirely reliant on what the Pros have.
The PCA will only include what minimum information is needed for arrest. Other camera footage if they have it will be as yet saealed.

Are these desperate attempts something the prosecution could work into the trial to give the jurors a sense of the defense's delays or would that be prejudicial?
I'm not an attorney. But I don't think the legal tactics of defense attorneys would be admissable at trial to prove a defendant's guilt. Maybe I'm in the minority but I also don't think the progress to the trial has been especially slow in this case. The crime involved multiple murders and the penalty may be death. And the crime happened less than 1 1/2 years ago.
MOO

I wonder what implications this situation may affect the reliability of DNA evidence in cases. I know that if a case was relying on DNA to establish that the accused was in the victim's house, bringing up the fact that DNA evidence could be completely corrupted would affect my opinion as a juror.

In the OJ Simpson case, the defense kept up the implication that any DNA evidence which established that OJ Simpson was at the scene of the crime, was considered "planted" evidence. Which is one reason why I believe that the jury was not convinced that OJ Simpson was guilty of killing Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman.
Zero implications.

This happened inside of a single lab. Some resource strapped agencies send samples there but we have no reason to believe that Moscow did. According to everything we know so far the sample that produced the full male profile and eventually hit on CODIS was processed locally. I believe it’s in the PCA and has been mentioned in other court filings and/or reporting.

Even the sample pulled for the IGG would not be in question.

So I doubt it would be admissible. MOO

Last edited:
it is not an illegal weapon and I assume the manufacturer could be sued much like the manufacturer of guns in a school shooting , etc. BTW - I think the thought is that BK purchased the knife on Amazon.
Thanks. I was responding to the post by Idaho Transplant:
Any thoughts on the parents suing the manufacturer of the knife BK used? Of course, if the knife in question was never recovered by police, that would probably make the idea moot even though they know he ordered one from Ebay and they have the sheath

Thanks. I was responding to the post by Idaho Transplant:
Any thoughts on the parents suing the manufacturer of the knife BK used? Of course, if the knife in question was never recovered by police, that would probably make the idea moot even though they know he ordered one from Ebay and they have the sheath
No, no laws were broken by the sale of that knife. I think the minimum age for purchase is 18, and he was obviously old enough.

IMO a solution similar to this can help put the worms almost entirely back in the can and fix this -
  • create a brand new EMPTY national clearinghouse (very minority report'ish, i know).
  • populate it with all current LE and prison databases
  • create an electronic middle man service, turn it over to a FCC like 'independent organization'.
  • providers like ancestry and 23andme can opt in or not. require them to make it clear to all users.
  • users of those providers would also still need to opt in. yes. again. even if they had earlier.
  • all of their interactions with LE/national clearning house are processed, logged, collected in the middle man service and overseen by the independent organization
  • there are two ways a dna profile makes its way from a provider to the middle man service and on to the clearing house. 1) a user opts in via the provider and its make availalbe to the national clearnighouse via the middle man service 2) a warrant is served to the provider by LE and the profile is made accessible through the middle man service.
  • the middle man service would allow users to see exactly how/when/by who their data was accessed by.
  • the middle man service would allow people to withdraw consent for their profile to be used at any time. giving them ownership over their dna.
  • all LE interactions, unless existing LE/Prison generated profiles, would require warrants and/or logging (for people opted in) in the middle man service.
  • all connections and accessed profiles made inside of the national clearning house and middle man service would be captured for court records and the defense
  • people would need to be notified that their dna was and/or profile was access by LE at some point in the last X number of days. or unless LE specifically requests via a warrant/process for the notification to be delayed.
  • This gives users almost total ownership over their data and dna.

Yes, this reboots everything. And it would be up to the providers if they wanted to send out another opt-in email or in app notification. it's almost like a reverse do not call list.

of course this assumes that LE would stay out of the user side of ancestry sites if given a 1 stop shop clearninghouse. also this is a back of the napkin solution i just wrote on the fly. And this doesn't solve for Joe's 4th cousin submitting their dna and implicating him in a crime committed decades ago. Don't commit crimes?

but if really smart people put their heads together i think there's a solution to this. If Amazon's Ring could build a national surveillance service (MOO) for LE...we could pull this off.

MOO
This is very ambitious but I think it’s too restrictive and will wind up causing criminals to go free.

Thank you! Not kidding, the person who said something along the lines of BK: "I'll say I wasn't there and you can help me prove it..." That is starting to look like that's exactly what he's doing, MOO. It's like a "fishing expedition"-- for an alibi, seriously?? Source/"fishing expedition": Fishing expedition refers to someone overly investigating or demanding information from an individual or organization. In law, the term is most used to describe using the discovery phase of a lawsuit to demand too much information based on hunches and accusations.

Trying to have an open mind here, but when you see the "alibi," and the information D is seeking about the IGG, you can't help but wonder exactly what is going on there around the defense meeting table. MOO, is BK back to "teaching class"??
Do you think BK is calling the shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member