4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's like a "gaming the system" type of deal. Criminologists know "the system" and know the inner workings of crimes like murder. They get that access to that type of information to understand crime and work within the parameters of that system. If he's convicted, that means he had this increased access, and that his privileges (information he had obtained over the course of his studies) were directed towards committing the crimes, not benefiting society in the capacity of a criminologist. For example, JMO, it would be equivalent of a "dirty cop" using his/her position to help a relative go unhindered in the commission of a serious crime-- or even firsthand engaging in crime. The PO is supposed to be serving and protecting society, not violating the very laws s/he is supposed to be enforcing. Another example might be an attorney learning the statute of limitations on certain crimes so he can commit them and figure out how long to run the clock, basically. It adds a whole new level of wrongdoing to the commission of a crime, MOO. Meaning BK if guilty went out and murdered four people, and he drew on his academic life and actual career path in its commission. It's unavoidable that he didn't, he was in class taking notes and participating in studies.
They also know the murder solve rate, the conviction rate and the appeal success rate.
Has bever said he is innocent.

Only said nothing when asked to plea, which is essentially taking the 5th.

I am not saying he's guilty, he has the presumption of innocence, obviously, but hypothetically, does anyone think he'll take a deal if offered? Will one be offered? Would it already have been offered by now? If he's looking for a change of venue, this sounds like someone hellbent on actually going forward with the trial.

I am not saying he's guilty, he has the presumption of innocence, obviously, but hypothetically, does anyone think he'll take a deal if offered? Will one be offered? Would it already have been offered by now? If he's looking for a change of venue, this sounds like someone hellbent on actually going forward with the trial.
No one in either side gives a hint they aren't going to trial.

Last edited:
I’m saying he’s guilty, lol. But no, I don’t see any chance at all he takes a plea. He’s smarter than everyone else, and I’m sure he’s very involved in case preparation. I wouldn’t be surprised if he thinks he can win, and he doesn’t have a lot to lose by not taking a plea, as it would likely take decades to carry out any death sentence, if ever.

I was watching a YouTube video about this case and the creator mentioned something about BK's survey that I hadn't considered, so I figured I'd bring it up here to see what people here think.
Pic below as a reminder:
IMG_20240219_111516.png

He says "this research has been approved by DeSales university". The survey was posted in May 2022. BK graduated a month later, in June 2022. So wouldn't it be a little late to start fielding a survey in May? Wouldn't this type of survey be carried out much earlier in the process of a Masters degree thesis?
Was the survey really for his degree, or for something else?

I was watching a YouTube video about this case and the creator mentioned something about BK's survey that I hadn't considered, so I figured I'd bring it up here to see what people here think.
Pic below as a reminder:
View attachment 484429

He says "this research has been approved by DeSales university". The survey was posted in May 2022. BK graduated a month later, in June 2022. So wouldn't it be a little late to start fielding a survey in May? Wouldn't this type of survey be carried out much earlier in the process of a Masters degree thesis?
Was the survey really for his degree, or for something else?
MOO — that’s the date it was posted to Reddit, yes?

We don’t know where — if anywhere else — he distributed his survey & when, do we?

Otherwise, to me, that would seem be way late, MOO.

I beli
MOO — that’s the date it was posted to Reddit, yes?

We don’t know where — if anywhere else — he distributed his survey & when, do we?

Otherwise, to me, that would seem be way late, MOO.
MOO He was passed through at DeSales without true fulfillment of the Masters requirements.
The survey itself was a way to deal and patch up his being late on a masters thesis.

I’m saying he’s guilty, lol. But no, I don’t see any chance at all he takes a plea. He’s smarter than everyone else, and I’m sure he’s very involved in case preparation. I wouldn’t be surprised if he thinks he can win, and he doesn’t have a lot to lose by not taking a plea, as it would likely take decades to carry out any death sentence, if ever.
I'm trying to stay open-minded, seriously. I'm open to whatever theories the defense wants to offer. I have no bias towards this guy whatsoever, other than the tower of evidence already mounting up against him. It's overwhelming. It's difficult to stay open-minded when the "alibi" is "I was out driving that night." We know. We know you were out driving that night. If that's the "alibi," I mean, what's the trial going to be like? That's why I'm finding it difficult to believe this is actually going to advance to the stage of an actual trial, but as of now, well, it's going to. (Which I find incredible, but it's MOO.)

I've seen this happen. The story the killer tells has to coincide with all the evidence and time-lines that have been painstakingly collected.

And yes there are inconsistencies but these prosecutors are good at narrowing down the inconsistencies. Prosecutors are trained to root out BS. They will confront and point out discrepancies.

So there is usually enough truth to start getting at least some answers.

It isn't super easy to sit for 10 hours being filmed and keeping all your lies straight under intense scrutiny.

But BK is arrogant, a know it all. I don't see him admitting guilt. To admit guilt means he has to stand up in court with all the families in the room and the camera on him and plead guilty 4 times.

Then there is a separate sentencing hearing where he has to sit and listen to all the victim impact statements.

If he is found guilty he will be forced to go through this.

2 Cents
Even if he were to tell some or most of the truth would it really be of much use except to the FBI profilers? Would the average person be able to process the thoughts of a monster and make sense of it? I can't imagine that the families would want to know the details. They have already been exposed to the interior of the house, at the coroner to identify the bodies and other inside information that they have been given.

I remember what a well-know talk show host (who has a PHd in psychology) said about trying to understand a serial killers mind. A "normal" brain cannot and will not (self preservation) access the area of the brain that a serial killer does. He added, "Nor would you want to."

As to the "WHY," we would expect an answer that we could then say, "OK, now I get it." Do you think that would happen?

Even if he were to tell some or most of the truth would it really be of much use except to the FBI profilers? Would the average person be able to process the thoughts of a monster and make sense of it? I can't imagine that the families would want to know the details. They have already been exposed to the interior of the house, at the coroner to identify the bodies and other inside information that they have been given.

I remember what a well-know talk show host (who has a PHd in psychology) said about trying to understand a serial killers mind. A "normal" brain cannot and will not (self preservation) access the area of the brain that a serial killer does. He added, "Nor would you want to."

As to the "WHY," we would expect an answer that we could then say, "OK, now I get it." Do you think that would happen?

This isn't about the average person being able to process the thoughts of a monster, it is not some deep psychological analysis. It's about getting some questions answered.

And yes families want to get questions answered. They want to know if stalking was involved, was their child stalked or targeted just for being in the house?

Some understanding of ........... WHY?
WHY their child or sister or friend?

I followed a murder case where 8 family members were killed. The survivors wanted to know the WHY of it. They found out WHY and how it was planned and this knowledge at least answered questions and will help answer some of the children's questions who were left with no parents.

Has nothing to do with the general public understanding the mind of a killer.

The WHY of it - is the universal question. We all want to know WHY a murder happened. Police want to know, prosecutors want to know, family wants to know, FBI profilers want to know and Joe and Jane public want to know.

2 Cents

Last edited:
Amazing good news! A job well done !
Time to put those feet up and rest the boots.
Chief Fry has proved their is countless good in this world. Thanks to him and the teams of justice ! Relax and enjoy ☺️

Amazing good news! A job well done !
Time to put those feet up and rest the boots.
Chief Fry has proved their is countless good in this world. Thanks to him and the teams of justice ! Relax and enjoy ☺️
He’s only retiring from MPD — he’s announced he’ll be running for Latah County Sheriff next:
Fry looks to switch to county work

The FBI would have given law enforcement a profile early on in the investigation. I'm curious as to how closely the profile matched BK. Is this information ever made public?
We already have the info, or am I misunderstanding your question: it’s a statistical match:
DNA collected from suspect Bryan Kohberger a ‘statistical match’ for DNA on sheath of knife used in killings of 4 Idaho students, court documents state | CNN

“The STR profile is at least 5.37 octillion times more likely to be seen if (the) Defendant is the source than if an unrelated individual randomly selected from the general population is the source,” prosecutors said in the filing. An octillion is a number equal to a 1 followed by 27 zeros.

The FBI originally loaded the DNA profile from the knife sheath onto publicly available genealogy sites, the documents state.

“The FBI went to work building family trees of the genetic relatives to the suspect DNA left at the crime scene in an attempt to identify the contributor of the unknown DNA,” and then sent a tip to investigate Kohberger, according to prosecutors.

That tip “pointed law enforcement toward (the) Defendant, but it did not provide law enforcement with substantive evidence of guilt,” according to the prosecutors’ filing – which is why they followed up using an STR analysis.”

Reminder: confirmation required a a sample taken directly from BK, which was collected when he was arrested, MOO.

We already have the info, or am I misunderstanding your question: it’s a statistical match:
DNA collected from suspect Bryan Kohberger a ‘statistical match’ for DNA on sheath of knife used in killings of 4 Idaho students, court documents state | CNN

“The STR profile is at least 5.37 octillion times more likely to be seen if (the) Defendant is the source than if an unrelated individual randomly selected from the general population is the source,” prosecutors said in the filing. An octillion is a number equal to a 1 followed by 27 zeros.

The FBI originally loaded the DNA profile from the knife sheath onto publicly available genealogy sites, the documents state.

“The FBI went to work building family trees of the genetic relatives to the suspect DNA left at the crime scene in an attempt to identify the contributor of the unknown DNA,” and then sent a tip to investigate Kohberger, according to prosecutors.

That tip “pointed law enforcement toward (the) Defendant, but it did not provide law enforcement with substantive evidence of guilt,” according to the prosecutors’ filing – which is why they followed up using an STR analysis.”

Reminder: confirmation required a a sample taken directly from BK, which was collected when he was arrested, MOO.
I think @Idaho transplant was talking about a behavioral profile by the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU).

As to if we will learn what that profile entailed, I'm not sure. It may depend on how involved these profilers were, and if they are called as expert witnesses. This is the type of case I would expect that sort of testimony though, as the jury likes to know "why?"

If we don't learn the specifics of the profile (prior to arrest) at trial, then it could turn up in the discovery documents after trial. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm curious myself as to what they thought about this unknown killer beforehand, and what they determined from what they learned about him after.

His car didn't match the description. MPD said it was a 2011-2013 Elantra, he drove a 2015. MPD put out a press release on December 29th, one day before his arrest. In that release they still said they were looking for a 2011-2013 Elantra. At no time did they publicly say they were looking for an 2015 Elantra. And the DNA, there is so many issues with it and how it could have gotten on the sheath.
The car was identified as an earlier model at the very beginning they released a description to the public. After LE received more surveillance video they extended the car's year of production. It makes every sense in the world that LE would NOT advertise for a specific 2015 model.

What better way to tell BK they were on to him and have him try and alter or even destroy the vehicle? That was LE 101 giving a date range, don't lock it in one the very model and spook your suspect.

The only way BK's DNA got down into the snap area of the sheath was because he opened and closed it. Not being the master criminal he probably thinks of himself, he didn't think to wipe that area clean. Yay for the good guys!

It was single source DNA, not a mixture. Just BK's. What are the issues and how else could it have gotten on the inside snap of the sheath if you don't mind me asking?

MOO

According to all available information and reporting the state lab pulled a local sample of the DNA first. That local sample did not hit on CODIS. So another sample was pulled for IGG indepdentendly from the local sample. Two completely different and distinct chains of custody.

Yes, the IGG was used to locate Kohlberger. But how do you fix that if the local sample matches Kohlberger and is completely unrelated to the IGG.

No matter what the defense does it's not going to change the fact that the sheath DNA is Kohlberger's DNA. Which is why the local sample continues to go unchallenged by them and they seem completely fine with pretending that it doesn't exist. MOO.

MOO.
Right, they ran the DNA from the sheath located in between murder victims Madison and Kaylee at the crime scene and it was not in CODIS, and I bet they did that immediately.

After investigating other leads and zeroing in on BK, they surveilled him at his parents home and decided to obtain a sample surreptitiously from the Kohberger garbage can. That's when they got the DNA profile for IGG testing (Dads).

How amazing and bizzaro must it have been for LE to watch as BK discarded ziplock baggies of his own trash in other neighbors cans under the cover of darkness (3 am). Yeah, no, that's what you do when you're trying to hide something from LE IMO. BK was smart enough to know they'd be trying to get his DNA, just not smart enough.

MOO

I think @Idaho transplant was talking about a behavioral profile by the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU).

As to if we will learn what that profile entailed, I'm not sure. It may depend on how involved these profilers were, and if they are called as expert witnesses. This is the type of case I would expect that sort of testimony though, as the jury likes to know "why?"

If we don't learn the specifics of the profile (prior to arrest) at trial, then it could turn up in the discovery documents after trial. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm curious myself as to what they thought about this unknown killer beforehand, and what they determined from what they learned about him after.
BK was the Regional winner in Extemporaneous Speaking back in his High School days, so there's that. Hah

I can definitely see that when I view the body cam videos of him with LE, especially the one with the female officer in Pullman. He just won't stop talking or trying to make a point. It's weird, most people would say "Oooops, sorry I didn't know I couldn't turn on the pedestrian cross and I won't do it again".

Not Brian, he wants to give a 10 minute discourse as to why he did it. I think BK has a problem accepting any responsibility for his actions.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member