4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #94

I think the timing makes it very hard. The order was delivered by 4 am, so ordered around 3 to 3:30ish? Could the killer have been up and walking around in that house at that time, unnoticed? Wouldn't he have to kill a few of them to get access to cell and/or laptops?

We have a visual sighting of him leaving around 4:20ish....So does it make sense that he was there in that house, scrolling TikTok, ordering DoorDash, sending multiple texts to KG's bf from 2 phones, starting around 3:15 ?

I don't think any of that happened? Why would he bother with any of that? He killed 4 people then circled back and used their cells to order JITB, scroll TikTok, and text ex-bfs?

I don't think it happened that way, either. I was just explaining how someone can easily gain access to the private accounts of others if they have access to their digital devices. Auto-logins are popular.

But that does not really matter. We know enough to know that she, or someone, ordered food right before she died.

There is no way it was the killer who ordered that food, IMO. The logistics does not work.

Whether the DD SAW her or not, the food made it into the kitchen, and probably some made it into her digestive tract. I am pretty sure the autopsy will answer that for us. JMO
How would you get a woman to open her front door alone in the wee hours of the morning?

RBBM Yes. BK's defense are thorough, not stupid Imo. They're not going to, nor is there any indication they are currently, questioning the time line. If they attempted to move the timeline back to two or three am for eg, this would entail advancing either
1) an absolutely botched LE investigation of not only victims' phone forensics but also interviews with witnesses such as DM and the door dash driver; and then that these huge mistakes were somehow not discovered but actually used as a basis for much of the PCA
or
2) A conspiracy to frame their client that went as far as fabricating evidence of a time line for inclusion in PCA. In this latter case that conspiracy would need to necessarily include many investigators.

Suffice to say it's highly unlikely as AT is not an idiot. Jmo
I agree with this. My questioning of the timeline has nothing to do with the defense case at all. It's the fact that no scientific evidence is included in the PCA to support the timeline.

Between the PCA and the hearing on Thursday, I don't have a whole lot of faith that we won't find out that your point 1 is at least partially true, unfortunately.

There absolutely is. Only certain databases (FamilyTreeDNA and GEDmatch) allow LE to use their DNA for crime matching and the user has to opt in to allow LE to use their DNA. LE would need to prove that the relative of BK allowed the database permission to provide the use the DNA to LE for crime matching. IMO this is why the IGG does not appear on the PCA.

All the big websites (23and me, Ancestry) do not allow LE to use their DNA info for crime matching.

You're correct that private genealogical databases have to get consent from participants before they will share any DNA records.

The difference between them and IGG (Investigative Genetic Genealogy) is that IGG is a traditional forensic database that maintains DNA records of those who have been tested in the process of being arrested or have consented to have their DNA in the database.

But LE would not have used IGG in this case (JMOO) because they only needed to test the DNA they found in the family trash to the sample on the sheath. In this case, they were just looking for a match because they already had the DNA from the sheath.

This is an odd case. A lot of things don't make a lot of sense in this case.

Those are the legal databases that should be used but I’m saying that if the FBI actually used these databases and knows the information was obtained legally, they should have no issue providing that information to the defense.

The IGG information is another piece of discovery that the defense is arguing is being withheld from them. They haven’t been able to scrutinize it so it hasn’t been confirmed that it was actually obtained legally through those approved databases.
I agree with you here. The defense should be able to scrutinize all of the IGG information. BK has family members who live in the Western United States.

In addition, there is another possibility that needs to be ruled out. I came across this fascinating article about Dopplegangers - people who are unrelated but identical in appearance AND shared many genetic variants.

"The team found that people who look very similar are also very similar genetically, says Esteller. Comparing the 16 pairs of true look-alikes with 16 other pairs photographed by Brunelle that hadn’t been scored as look-alikes by all three algorithms, the researchers found that true look-alikes shared more genetic variants with each other than did the 16 less similar pairs. However, the true look-alike pairs differed when it came to patterns of gene expression and bacterial communities. “The differences we see between look-alikes are more due to the epigenetics and the microbiome,” he says."

"“The elegant experiment described in the paper . . . shows that look-alike individuals share more genetic variants than randomly-selected individuals.”"

Is there the possibility that there is someone out there who is genetically similar to BK, either a family member or a Doppelgänger? There's no way to know without the IGG being completely and totally scrutinized.

You're correct that private genealogical databases have to get consent from participants before they will share any DNA records.

The difference between them and IGG (Investigative Genetic Genealogy) is that IGG is a traditional forensic database that maintains DNA records of those who have been tested in the process of being arrested or have consented to have their DNA in the database.

But LE would not have used IGG in this case (JMOO) because they only needed to test the DNA they found in the family trash to the sample on the sheath. In this case, they were just looking for a match because they already had the DNA from the sheath.

This is an odd case. A lot of things don't make a lot of sense in this case.
My understanding of the IGG/DNA situation is that the FBI used the IGG database to match with BK prior to the LE being able to identify him using the video/cell data. So from that IGG identification, LE worked backwards to find the evidence that puts BK at the crime scene.

Why this is important (to me) that the IGG was done legally is because of “fruit of the poisonous tree”. My own concerns are that if it is not done legally, it could affect their ability to use that IGG result and in turn, lose all the further evidence they were able to get because of that result.

However, there’s always “inevitable discovery” so I won’t opine which way the court would favour if they did find issue with IGG result. I am just sharing my own opinion and concern.

My understanding of the IGG/DNA situation is that the FBI used the IGG database to match with BK prior to the LE being able to identify him using the video/cell data. So from that IGG identification, LE worked backwards to find the evidence that puts BK at the crime scene.

Why this is important (to me) that the IGG was done legally is because of “fruit of the poisonous tree”. My own concerns are that if it is not done legally, it could affect their ability to use that IGG result and in turn, lose all the further evidence they were able to get because of that result.

However, there’s always “inevitable discovery” so I won’t opine which way the court would favour if they did find issue with IGG result. I am just sharing my own opinion and concern.

No. Not exactly.

The match was with a person named Kohberger and WSU police already had a Kohberger on their radar. It was NOT a match with Bryan Kohberger but with another relative - NOT his father.

So LE in PA exercised their ability to delve through Mr, Kohberger Sr's trash. And THAT showed it was the same family. They then compared Mr. Kohberger Sr's DNA (from his own trash) to the sheath - and it was a paternal match.

The match was with a Kohberger relative, whose name is as yet undisclosed
- and it is THAT person's name that, IMO, the Defense is after. They want to know the connections used by the IGG.

There was NO match with BK before the arrest. The only thing that happened is that a Kohberger came up as a relatively (I'm guessing a 10% match). BK was already on LE radar back in Washington, so of course they flagged that.

Then they went to Mr. Kohberger (Sr) and his trash to match with the sheath DNA. It did NOt match with BK - it was a paternal match. The sheath had a paternal match with Mr. Kohberger Sr.

Who had but one son - who had an Elantra and lived near Moscow. It was so clear that a judge ordered his arrest.

IMO, the legal delays are around whether the court is going to reveal the actual identity of this relative (the one whose DNA was in the IGG database).

Those are the legal databases that should be used but I’m saying that if the FBI actually used these databases and knows the information was obtained legally, they should have no issue providing that information to the defense.

The IGG information is another piece of discovery that the defense is arguing is being withheld from them. They haven’t been able to scrutinize it so it hasn’t been confirmed that it was actually obtained legally through those approved databases.

I can see lots of legal reasons why not.

Just because I live adjacent to a criminal, I think it's a violation of my rights to have me publicly associated with them.

Do you really think that if your relatives are suspect of crimes that your own identity should be made a matter of public record?

Because that's what is being asked here.

IGG is a scientific, not a legal, database. The users (like myself) can opt in or out as to whether we want to cooperate with LE. It's medical information as described in the ToS of the IGG.

If I want to make my DNA available to find criminals, I can do so. But that doesn't mean I want my identity known to the criminal. The innocent person who supplied the DNA that made the link is no different than an eyewitness. The Court may want to protect them - and there is plenty of judicial authority to do so.

It's been held admissible for anonymous tips to be used. The Defense in this case is challenging that - which would have far-reaching (and to me, pro-criminality) consequences. We should be allowed to help solve crimes anonymously.

Yes, even with our DNA.

IMO

My understanding of the IGG/DNA situation is that the FBI used the IGG database to match with BK prior to the LE being able to identify him using the video/cell data.
I don't think that is correct----here is what was released about the process. It seems they were looking at BK BEFORE the IGG match

University leads police to a name: Bryan Kohberger

On Nov. 25, the Moscow Police Department asked regional law enforcement to look for a white Elantra. Three nights later, a WSU police officer ran a query for any white Elantras on campus.

One came back as having a Pennsylvania license plate and being registered to Kohberger. Within half an hour, another campus officer located the vehicle parked at Kohberger's apartment complex. It came back as having Washington state tags. Five days after the killings, Kohberger had switched the registration from Pennsylvania, his home state, to Washington, the affidavit said.

Investigators now had a name to go on, and further investigation yielded more clues. Kohberger's driver's license described him as 6 feet tall and 185 pounds, and his license photo showed him to have bushy eyebrows — all details consistent with a description of the attacker given by a surviving roommate, the affidavit said.

More research revealed that Kohberger had been pulled over by a Latah County, Idaho, sheriff's deputy in August while driving the Elantra. He gave the deputy a cellphone number.

Armed with that number, Payne obtained search warrants for the phone's historical data. The location data showed the phone was near his home in Pullman until about 2:42 a.m. on the morning of the killings. Five minutes later, the phone started using cellular resources located southeast of the home — consistent with Kohberger traveling south, the affidavit said.

There was no other location data available from the phone until 4:48 a.m., suggesting Kohberger may have turned it off during the attack in an effort to avoid detection, the affidavit said. At that point, the phone began taking a roundabout route back to Pullman, traveling south to Genesee, Idaho, then west to Uniontown, Washington, and north to Pullman just before 5:30 a.m. — around the same time the white sedan showed back up on surveillance cameras in town.

So from that IGG identification, LE worked backwards to find the evidence that puts BK at the crime scene.
No, it seems that the opposite happened. They had video of a white Elantra first, then 3 days later found BK's name on the list of student parking permits---and they were interested because his driver's license info showed he fit the general description.

Then they got a warrant for his phone records, which showed many red flags.

It was LATER ON that the IGG search brought up the family name of Kohberger. And that's when they realised they were already looking at someone with that name.
Why this is important (to me) that the IGG was done legally is because of “fruit of the poisonous tree”.

It was done legally, IMO. There was no poisonous tree involved here. They used the legally allowed databases for this search.
My own concerns are that if it is not done legally, it could affect their ability to use that IGG result and in turn, lose all the further evidence they were able to get because of that result.
Is that^^ the concern? It seems more like a goal than a concern, IMO.

Last edited:
I don't think that is correct----here is what was released about the process. It seems they were looking at BK BEFORE the IGG match

On Nov. 25, the Moscow Police Department asked regional law enforcement to look for a white Elantra. Three nights later, a WSU police officer ran a query for any white Elantras on campus.

One came back as having a Pennsylvania license plate and being registered to Kohberger. Within half an hour, another campus officer located the vehicle parked at Kohberger's apartment complex. It came back as having Washington state tags. Five days after the killings, Kohberger had switched the registration from Pennsylvania, his home state, to Washington, the affidavit said.

Investigators now had a name to go on, and further investigation yielded more clues. Kohberger's driver's license described him as 6 feet tall and 185 pounds, and his license photo showed him to have bushy eyebrows — all details consistent with a description of the attacker given by a surviving roommate, the affidavit said.

More research revealed that Kohberger had been pulled over by a Latah County, Idaho, sheriff's deputy in August while driving the Elantra. He gave the deputy a cellphone number.

Armed with that number, Payne obtained search warrants for the phone's historical data. The location data showed the phone was near his home in Pullman until about 2:42 a.m. on the morning of the killings. Five minutes later, the phone started using cellular resources located southeast of the home — consistent with Kohberger traveling south, the affidavit said.

There was no other location data available from the phone until 4:48 a.m., suggesting Kohberger may have turned it off during the attack in an effort to avoid detection, the affidavit said. At that point, the phone began taking a roundabout route back to Pullman, traveling south to Genesee, Idaho, then west to Uniontown, Washington, and north to Pullman just before 5:30 a.m. — around the same time the white sedan showed back up on surveillance cameras in town.

No, it seems that the opposite happened. They had video of a white Elantra first, then 3 days later found BK's name on the list of student parking permits---and they were interested because his driver's license info showed he fit the general description.

It was LATER ON that the IGG search brought up the family name of Kohberger. And that's when they realised they were already looking at someone with that name.

It was done legally, IMO. There was no poisonous tree involved here. They used the legally allowed databases for this search.

Brilliant! Brings in the legality (I was focusing on the science).

Again, it's like telling LE they can't use google maps or a phone book. Never in US jurisprudence have such things been disallowed - and I truly believe the Judge (and the appellate courts) know this.

It was legal. Should the identity of the IGG link be made public? No, we allow anonymous tips in crime solving in the US.

This is like that. An anonymous donation of DNA to help solve crime. I recommend everyone do it.

The news article you’ve shared (I googled the first paragraph to find it) is based on the PCA which doesn’t include the IGG information so I’m not able to determine a timeline by it of when that IGG info was received and executed by LE in relation to the other evidence gathering.

RBBM

Specifically BK's roundabout route back to WSU --

Do we know where in that he re-engaged his phone?

Did he get lost? Unintentional roundabout? Was he zig-zagging to avoid a beeline? Was he shaking a tail? Did he think he was being followed? Was he paranoid? Did he stop in those locations to discard trash in random receptacles?

Purposeful or not?

I'm curious.

JMO

Re: time of murder estimates

I went and looked back through our media thread.

The first time that estimate time of murder was mentioned was Nov 15 or 16 after statements made by the Mayor (it's hard to tell which day because many articles have been updated many times since they were originally published, but I believe it is from his interviews on the 16th). And he stated likely between 3-4 am. That would have been after Kaylee's sister Alivea had gotten her phone records and seen that she was texting/calling Jack at 2:56, and very likely the police had done a preliminary interview with Jack by then.

The only place I have seen 2 am mentioned was by the coroner in a preliminary statement on Nov 17 in which she said some time AFTER 2 a.m. She did not perform the autopsies and at the time of her statement the autopsies had just been done the day before and tests were still in process.

There absolutely is. Only certain databases (FamilyTreeDNA and GEDmatch) allow LE to use their DNA for crime matching and the user has to opt in to allow LE to use their DNA. LE would need to prove that the relative of BK allowed the database permission to provide the use the DNA to LE for crime matching. IMO this is why the IGG does not appear on the PCA.

All the big websites (23and me, Ancestry) do not allow LE to use their DNA info for crime matching.

It's seems they would have to with subpoena.

The news article you’ve shared (I googled the first paragraph to find it) is based on the PCA which doesn’t include the IGG information so I’m not able to determine a timeline by it of when that IGG info was received and executed by LE in relation to the other evidence gathering.
well, it seems possible to consider how long it takes for things to happen. About 13 days after the murders, they had info about BK's car being on student parking list and had his description and info. And eventually the cell ping info.

I doubt that they had an IGG profile narrowed down to a single name by that time. They had to send in the forensics items to the lab---they had to find that one speck of DNA on that snap, have the profile returned from the lab, and then have the FBI team begin the IGG process, which is a lengthy one. Would all that have happened within 13 days?

I believe it was all happening almost simultaneously. I think they narrowed down the IGG to a family name and then realised they already had that name on a list of suspicious subjects.

They way you describe it, they find his name by IGG AND THEN go back and make up the evidence, RE the white Elantra---I don't think that is possible, time wise. They were actively looking through all that cctv and ring footage for quite awhile before finding that footage and releasing it on Nov 23rd. I don't believe they could have had the forensics data back, with the snap DNA, put together the FBI IGG team, before the University Police Officer looked up the student parking list and found BK's car.

Sometimes an investigation is pretty straightforward forward. Different detectives in different departments are all following their leads and it comes back to the same suspect by different methods. I do believe that is what happened here.

When they found BK's vehicle on the parking permit list, they did a very general overview. If it had belonged to a female student with a little baby, who lived with her parents, they probably would have just kept it on the list but moved on. [unless she had a suspicious boyfriend w/access to the car]

well, it seems possible to consider how long it takes for things to happen. About 13 days after the murders, they had info about BK's car being on student parking list and had his description and info. And eventually the cell ping info.

I doubt that they had an IGG profile narrowed down to a single name by that time. They had to send in the forensics items to the lab---they had to find that one speck of DNA on that snap, have the profile returned from the lab, and then have the FBI team begin the IGG process, which is a lengthy one. Would all that have happened within 13 days?

I believe it was all happening almost simultaneously. I think they narrowed down the IGG to a family name and then realised they already had that name on a list of suspicious subjects.

They way you describe it, they find his name by IGG AND THEN go back and make up the evidence, RE the white Elantra---I don't think that is possible, time wise. They were actively looking through all that cctv and ring footage for quite awhile before finding that footage and releasing it on Nov 23rd. I don't believe they could have had the forensics data back, with the snap DNA, put together the FBI IGG team, before the University Police Officer looked up the student parking list and found BK's car.

Sometimes an investigation is pretty straightforward forward. Different detectives in different departments are all following their leads and it comes back to the same suspect by different methods. I do believe that is what happened here.

When they found BK's vehicle on the parking permit list, they did a very general overview. If it had belonged to a female student with a little baby, who lived with her parents, they probably would have just kept it on the list but moved on. [unless she had a suspicious boyfriend w/access to the car]
I should clarify that I’m not saying that LE is “making up” evidence. What I’m saying is that in my opinion LE knew from the video that their suspect drove a 2011-2014 white Elantra and was a male approx 5’10”.

In my opinion, they start doing their investigation work like normal. meantime the IGG comes back with the family name/relative DNA info. They use that information to search for relatives who live around that area, find however many relatives and then use this ID info to further narrow down their search parameters to gather evidence that more directly implicates BK.

I actually thought that was the general consensus of how BK was originally identified.

I should clarify that I’m not saying that LE is “making up” evidence. What I’m saying is that in my opinion LE knew from the video that their suspect drove a 2011-2014 white Elantra and was a male approx 5’10”.

In my opinion, they start doing their investigation work like normal. meantime the IGG comes back with the family name/relative DNA info. They use that information to search for relatives who live around that area, find however many relatives and then use this ID info to further narrow down their search parameters to gather evidence that more directly implicates BK.
In this case, they already had BK on a short list of POI's. So once they got the family name from the IGG, BINGO, they were already investigating him.

What is so wrong with that? I see it as a blessing. DNA is like fingerprints, that were relied upon in the past. Just one more piece of the puzzle.

They looked at his cell phone logs and then he became even more suspicious, IMO. He is leaving his apartment around 2:45am, then turning his phone off, or in airplane mode? For hours, then turns it back on in a remote, roundabout way home, on a freezing foggy night?
I actually thought that was the general consensus of how BK was originally identified.

Are you against using DNA genealogy profiles, like the one that caught the Golden State Killer? And countless other cold cases? Does it seem wrong, in your opinion?

In this case, they already had BK on a short list of POI's. So once they got the family name from the IGG, BINGO, they were already investigating him.

What is so wrong with that? I see it as a blessing. DNA is like fingerprints, that were relied upon in the past. Just one more piece of the puzzle.

They looked at his cell phone logs and then he became even more suspicious, IMO. He is leaving his apartment around 2:45am, then turning his phone off, or in airplane mode? For hours, then turns it back on in a remote, roundabout way home, on a freezing foggy night?

Are you against using DNA genealogy profiles, like the one that caught the Golden State Killer? And countless other cold cases? Does it seem wrong, in your opinion?
I’m all for using DNA to solve crime provided it’s done within the rules.

In this case, if prosecution provides the info that the matched individual “opted-in” to having their DNA used for crime matching (and everything was done above board) then fly at it. No qualms from me.

In law, I believe in complete transparency by both sides and fair trials.

ETA:sentence

After some searching, I’m not able to locate any dates that the IGG results were received and the date they added BK to the “short list”. This isn’t publicly available information from what I can see so I don’t think we can definitively state which came first. We can agree to disagree.

Oh! You’re right. My wording on that sentence was improper - I apologize for that. I shouldn’t have made it sound like a fact when it was my opinion only.
No problem, it can easily happen. Likewise, it would have been better if I made clear what I was referring to in you post. Thanks for clarifying so quickly!.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildkey517
Back