$5,000 Reward Offered In Unsolved Case Of Slain Durham Mother

ewwwinteresting said:
Maybe the picture was taken Monday evening, after work? Well at least after Janet's work since we've been told raven wasn't working (again)!
That's quite possible but there were other pictures taken that day as well that we know were taken in the morning:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Evidence

"... When did Raven work? I noticed on his website (Ravenstree.com) that he posts pictures of Kaiden that were taken Monday morning, April 25. He is trying to show a scar over Kaiden's eye, which he received by falling off the bed WHILE DAD WAS SLEEPING!!!!!! Now, I am assuming that Janet was at work..."

So we assumed that Janet was at work but we never did know for sure. We do know for sure, however, that pictures WERE taken that Monday morning. I remember the pics of Kaiden - with Raven trying to point out his "Harry Potter scar". But I can't remember if Raven is in those pics with someone else doing the photographing and at this point those photos are probably long gone. We also can't be certain that those pics were taken by Janet on a day off either - they could have been taken before work for all we know.

Does anyone know the answer? Did Janet work five days a week? Is there a chance that she was off that Monday, April 25th?

SouthEastSleuth said:
You know, this makes me think of something else too. Recently that pic of Raven with Kaiden at the computer was discussed. As I recall, Raven posted that picture the day before Janet was murdered, and also posted some other pix, that referenced them being taken that Monday, the 25th.

The one of Raven and Kaiden at the computer - it's possible that Raven used a webcam to take that pic? If not, who took that pic? Janet? Which makes me wonder - do we know if Janet worked that Monday or not? And if she didn't, why not take the Acura in for service on THAT day, as opposed to a work day, when the hometeachers were coming, etc,etc.?
From the angle of the picture, I am going with webcam.

Finally some good news! I come in here often to see if there's anything new, I am so happy to see this!!!

Raven, it won't be long....:behindbar

This is the actual press release from DPD regarding the $5000 reward from Sund/Carrington: ( http://www.durhampolice.com/news/pdf/060124_1.pdf )

excerpts:

"Abaroa's husband, Raven, found her stabbed to death inside their home at 2606 Ferrand Drive around 11 p.m. on Tuesday, April 26. Their 6-month-old son, Kaiden, was uninjured. There were no obvious signs of a break-in, but a laptop computer was missing from the home.

No charges have been filed in the case, but investigators do not believe it was a random act. Police have not named a suspect in the case.

In the hours before her death, Janet Abaroa, who was in the early stages of pregnancy, picked up her child at day care and went with her husband to drop off her car for repairs. The Abaroas met with a church member at their home that evening before Raven Abaroa left the house around 8:30 p.m. in a gray Dodge Durango to play in an indoor soccer game in Morrisville. Raven Abaroa found his wife when he returned hom from the game...."

Is the wording in this press release customary? Would it normally say something like - if you noticed any suspicious vehicles or activity on Ferrand Drive, please contact LE? It seems like they give an awful lot of description of what Janet and Raven were doing, including the description and times that Raven was allegedly in the vehicle that night.

I'm not sure JG.

I surely do not understand what is going on with Durham LE's Website.

I know that they have totally redone it since I first logged into Durham LE's site. Maybe they aren't finished yet.

http://www.durhampolice.com/news/

Until a month ago, there was only one media log in April, then one in August, then in November.

One day I logged on and noticed they had the complete media logs for all of April through December. There were tons of them, and I combed through them all looking for any media logs regarding Janet. I found 3 of them at that time. Now they are all gone again and are just showing the one for April, one for August and one for November and a few for December.

LE's media log/reports I found regarding Janet.

The first one was the initial media report regarding Janet's Murder.
There was one update.
There was one more update I believe, regarding the autopsy.
Now there is the one regarding the reward.

In all there should be 4 media logs regarding Janet and all the previous links are no longer working.

This is strange, maybe they are not done updating the logs and their website, but I do know I downloaded these logs to my computer and they are now missing from the website, the only one remaining is the Reward.

JerseyGirl said:
Is the wording in this press release customary? Would it normally say something like - if you noticed any suspicious vehicles or activity on Ferrand Drive, please contact LE? It seems like they give an awful lot of description of what Janet and Raven were doing, including the description and times that Raven was allegedly in the vehicle that night.
You know, this is a very interesting point -

From the reward press release:

"....before Raven Abaroa left the house around 8:30 p.m. in a gray Dodge Durango to play in an indoor soccer game in Morrisville....."

IF LE was certain that Raven had nothing to do with Janet's murder, then why now, in this press release, give such detail about RAVEN'S presumed movements that evening - a "gray Dodge Durango" - "an indoor soccer game in Morrisville" - it's almost as if LE is saying, 'ok, here are some facts', yet, the DETAILED facts have to do with one thing - Raven, his presumed movements, and the vehicle itself. Further, when they mention the 'missing' laptop, it is with the caveat that "there were no obvious signs of a break-in." (Granted, I'm sure there are break-ins everyday where there are no 'obvious signs', but still....)

But truly, when you look closely at the wording of the release, and perhaps I'm grasping here, it looks like LE is saying - we're looking at one person...

Makes me think, that in a covert kind of way, LE DID in some ways name a POI - Raven.

Oh I think so too SES. It is like LE is saying - okay the suspect and POI is Raven without coming out and saying the suspect and POI is Raven.

Unfortunately, because he has not been publicly cleared, and they have had plenty of time to clear anyone else, it is still leaving this one person, not cleared, not cooperating, not seeming to care wth is going on with the investigation of the murder of his wife and unborn child.

I am making just an assumption but I am assuming that every other avenue, aspect has been fully investigated and there is only one person that is not cleared............

The Raven.

Scout said:
The articles don't make it clear -- was the church member still at the home when Raven left for the soccer game?
No confirmed the church member left earlier. It was then Raven, Janet and Kaiden home alone.

We have word that Raven stated he left at approx. 8:30 to go to Morrisville to play an indoor soccer game.

See Post #105 on Soccer Game ... No really, "the" Soccer Game below:

http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=951665&postcount=105

Played Soccer (still not a confirmation what time he showed up or what time he left or if he really played at all) There is rumor somewhere he showed up, and left early because he had an "uneasy feeling" but I am trying to find that unsubstantiated rumor.

If he showed up at the indoor soccer, he had to drive home. We have no timeline of what time he left (taking into consideration it was a 30 minute drive home.)

If he indeed left at 8:30, he would have arrived in Morrissville around 9:00 played then he would have had to leave no later than 10:00 to arrive home at 10:30 and we have no confirmation if he made stops on the way to or from the soccer game

There is no confirmation if Raven stopped anywhere on the way to or on the way home from Soccer, just a clue of a bottle of Gatoraide in the Durango.

We had word Raven stated he got home at about 10:30, then we had word he got home later than that. There is no actual confirmation what time he got home, just different approximate times.

Scout said:
The articles don't make it clear -- was the church member still at the home when Raven left for the soccer game?

This is pure speculation, for sure, but, if you look at the ME report, there is a field on the form called "Last Known to be Alive." The ME wrote in, "About 19:00 pm." Now, logic says that someone had to have provided that info to the ME of course. My guess is, 7pm must be at least the approx time the church member(s) left the house, with the ME using THAT time, as opposed to what time Raven said HE left the house, as the 7pm time would be the last CONFIRMABLE time. Otherwise, if Raven says he left the house at 8:30pm, then presumably the ME would have used 8:30pm as the "last known to be alive" time.

Which raises an interesting point - IF the church member(s) left Ferrand Drive at 7pm, and Raven didn't leave to play soccer until 8:30pm (if that is what he in fact told LE - and presumably we know that from the reward press release), it's interesting to speculate on what was going on at Ferrand from 7-830pm....

SouthEastSleuth said:
This is pure speculation, for sure, but, if you look at the ME report, there is a field on the form called "Last Known to be Alive." The ME wrote in, "About 19:00 pm." Now, logic says that someone had to have provided that info to the ME of course. My guess is, 7pm must be at least the approx time the church member(s) left the house, with the ME using THAT time, as opposed to what time Raven said HE left the house, as the 7pm time would be the last CONFIRMABLE time. Otherwise, if Raven says he left the house at 8:30pm, then presumably the ME would have used 8:30pm as the "last known to be alive" time.

Which raises an interesting point - IF the church member(s) left Ferrand Drive at 7pm, and Raven didn't leave to play soccer until 8:30pm (if that is what he in fact told LE - and presumably we know that from the reward press release), it's interesting to speculate on what was going on at Ferrand from 7-830pm....
Isn't it? I'll bet Raven knows.

Is anything else known about Janet's worried co-workers on the night of her murder?

We had the initial report that THEY were the ones who sounded the alarm that all was not well with her.

Has that ever been confirmed in any way? It's one of the most puzzling inconsistent aspects of the murder, IMO.
I have wondered if Raven first placed a call to 911 from one of those pre-paid cell phone which can't be traced, claiming to be a worried co-worker. In that way, he could have been ABSENT when her body was discovered by LE... Perps usually do not want to be the one to find the body or report the crime.

I keep wondering exactly what happened and in what order.
Does anyone have a theory?
I hope this ties in enough to this thread to bring it up. I don't ever want to hijack someone's discussion.

Thanks!
ToL

Thinkoflaura said:
Is anything else known about Janet's worried co-workers on the night of her murder?

We had the initial report that THEY were the ones who sounded the alarm that all was not well with her.

Has that ever been confirmed in any way? It's one of the most puzzling inconsistent aspects of the murder, IMO.
I have wondered if Raven first placed a call to 911 from one of those pre-paid cell phone which can't be traced, claiming to be a worried co-worker. In that way, he could have been ABSENT when her body was discovered by LE... Perps usually do not want to be the one to find the body or report the crime.

I keep wondering exactly what happened and in what order.
Does anyone have a theory?
I hope this ties in enough to this thread to bring it up. I don't ever want to hijack someone's discussion.

Thanks!
ToL
ToL,

Hmmm, from what I remember by reading the threads, I believe that a coworker sent emails to Janet. The next day when the first reports of the Murder hit the news, no name was released but the address or general area. The coworker then decided to go past the home, because Janet had not responded to the email(s).

I think there was confusion that it was that evening or that they contacted LE worried, but I think it was the next day, that coworker(s) went past the home because of a news report of a murder on Ferrand.

Does anyone know where this information is here? I think this is how it went down, but I could be wrong.

i found this, from "back then"..discussion #2.

golfmom
user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_630522", true);
Hazards Attract -- Fairways Repel

Whoaaaaa .... I found this article, this isn't the story that is being currently reported ....

http://www.nbc17.com/news/4421425/detail.html

Officers were called to the home at about 11 p.m. and discovered the body of 25-year-old Janet Abaroa.

One of Abaroa's co-workers e-mailed her, and when she failed to respond, she and other co-workers went to check on her.

Abaroa's husband wasn't at the crime scene, and police had no word on his whereabouts as of Wednesday evening. Police haven't disclosed whether they believe the slaying was the result of a domestic dispute.
Police said the Abaroa's 6-month-old child is being cared for by a church pastor.

Neighbors said they were stunned by the violent crime in a quiet area of west Durham.

"My heart was racing, think, 'OK, who could it be?'" Theresa Samulski told NBC-17. "I know everybody (in the neighborhood), but I don't know them. I walk my dogs every day and I talk to everybody, but I haven't seen them at all."

..i did notice that the majority of links to the 'media posts' from last year are now 'unavailable'/'page not found'.

..a note to remember: when posting media links for this case /and future cases: copy the main gist of the article ( which still adheres to TOS ) so that we'll have it for reference..

terminatrixator said:
I am making just an assumption but I am assuming that every other avenue, aspect has been fully investigated and there is only one person that is not cleared............

The Raven.
That's a great point - don't they usually try to clear those closest to the victim first? So if ten months have gone by, and Raven still hasn't been cleared, what does that tell us? Either that he hasn't PUBLICLY been cleared or that he's still a POI. Based on the wording in that press release, it seems that the latter is much more likely.

SouthEastSleuth said:
... it's interesting to speculate on what was going on at Ferrand from 7-830pm....
Does anyone know what the normal routine would be at their house? What time would Kaiden have normally been put to bed? Or would he already have been in bed by the time the hometeacher(s) arrived?

The Murder of Janet Marie Christiansen was on TUESDAY, April 26, 2005.

This new article is takling about the story they were covering on WEDNESDAY EVENING. The writer really was not very clear in this article sorry.

"One of Abaroa's co-workers e-mailed her, and when she failed to respond, she and other co-workers went to check on her. Abaroa's husband wasn't at the crime scene, and police had no word on his whereabouts as of Wednesday evening. "

I think it was Wednesday Evening that the coworkers went to the scene and the reporters just so happen to be there after not hearing from Janet Tuesday evening - Wednesday Evening.

Can anyone make this clearer or find the precise article that shows how this went down?

lauriej said:
..i did notice that the majority of links to the 'media posts' from last year are now 'unavailable'/'page not found'.

..a note to remember: when posting media links for this case /and future cases: copy the main gist of the article ( which still adheres to TOS ) so that we'll have it for reference..
This may be why this other site has all the articles in their Link section along with the link to the current article. I read at this site that they did it this way because the links keep getting archived:

http://livetrialupdates.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlink&cid=20&orderby=dateA

Sometimes the link works and then sometimes they don't and I think they keep getting updated links to the story by searching their archive data base and updating the links. I hope this helps.

I wrote to them to them that their autopsy section had incorrect links, I think that there was a change from http://www.planethuff.com to http://huffcrimeblog.com but they haven't changed those links yet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back