5-9-12 Steven Powell Trial *GUILTY!!!* 6-15-12 SENTENCING HEARING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jennifer is up. I can't hear much though.

They've asked Jennifer to point to her father's room and describe the other occupants of the home and tell if they lived there in (i forget the date).

State rests, recess until tomorrow morning.

I just got a KSL text that Alina will testify, I'm off to look for confirmation. I haven't found anything, and I erased the text so not sure of the time of it. I left my phone home this morning and the messages were 'full' so I deleted some to read it. Anyone else have info on Alina testifying? TIA

Alina did not testify, but Jennifer (Powell)Graves did. She testified for the prosecution this morning.

I feel so sorry for the Cox's as Susan's name was barely mentioned. Seems that no one can talk about Susan - yet there were a ton of pictures and video that SP took of her without her knowledge and then took pics of himself masturbating to her pics on the large screen. Sick, twisted and WRONG! Please let the Jurors convict SP for the crimes that he committed against those little girls and let's hope there is a way the Cox's can bring forth charges against the whole Powell family for the crimes SP and JP committed against Susan and the rest of the family covered up for their brother and father!

There were so many incidents that SP thought he might have been caught videotaping women in parking lots - that seemed to excite him even more. Let's give him a "ton of excitement" by convicting him for being the pervert that he is. I would hope a conviction would label him as a Registered Sex Offender for the rest of his natural life!!!

This is a backwards sequenced (sorry for the ackwardness) twitter feed detailing the post-testimony motions on May 14, 2012 in the Steven Powell's criminal voyerism case in Pierce County, WA

That's it for court today. Closing arguments, jury instructions and the case going to the jury tomorrow. #StevePowell

Court reconvening at 8:45 am PST on Tues. #StevePowell

Jury now has 28 instructions to go over. #StevePowell

Court is back in session. #StevePowell

All the attorneys are back in the room. Should be starting this up again in a moment and finish up for the day. #StevePowell

Culpepper is taking a short recess to make final copies of jury instructions. #StevePowell

in the way the statute for the charges is written. #StevePowell

Defense says it plans to argue tomorrow morning that aggravating circumstances don't apply in this case because its already addressed....

Culpepper declines to make defense requested modifications to jury instructions.

to prove who's gratification the pictures were being taken for. They only have to prove that's why the pictures were taken. #StevePowell

State is arguing although they don't believe #StevePowell was taking video for anyone's sexual gratification except his own, they don't have

"... is simply not applicable to the evidence." Quigley argues. #StevePowell

Defense wants jury to understand the girls were videotaped only and still pictures were downloaded later. "The word photograph...

distributed to anyone else or posted on the web. #StevePowell

Defense wants jury to understand that the alleged acts of voyeurism were done to sexually gratify #StevePowell only. The images were not...

That's all the motions for now. Judge now going over instructions. #StevePowell

There are also little differences in each of the photos, such as clothing and things in hallway and around the house. #StevePowell

Culpepper says there were 3 separate folders found on the disc. #StevePowell

Judge has denied the motion. #StevePowell

State says it should be left up to the jury, and it's really an issue for sentencing, if found guilty. #StevePowell

State says each count is based on separate incidents of filming. They don't have to prove if it's on a different day. #StevePowell

State says the defense is trying to shift the burden of proof. #StevePowell

That's what the defense is arguing. #StevePowell

Essentially, the counts (one for each girl) happened on the same day as two other counts he is charged with. #StevePowell

Currie is asking the judge to drop one count for each victim, dropping the charges to 12. #StevePowell

Court back in session. Only Alina Powell and media are here in courtroom gallery. #StevePowell

fairly standard defense tactic. Both sides and the judge will then go over the wording of final jury instructions to be given Tues to jurors

This afternoon, we expected the defense to file their motion to have some of the charges dismissed, claiming the state proved nothing. It's

#StevePowell and his attorneys are back in the courtroom. We should get started again in about 10 minutes.

Defense attorney Mark Quigley says its a motion to dismiss some of the 14 counts against #StevePowell

"fairly simple motion." #StevePowell

No one has said what this motion is about. The defense has indicated they waited til now to file for "strategic" reasons. Calls it a ...

Defense has a motion to file. That and jury instructions will be handled at 1:30p PST. #StevePowell

Judge Culpepper excuses jury for the day early. He and attorneys will go over instructions now. #StevePowell

They've asked Jennifer to point to her father's room and describe the other occupants of the home and tell if they lived there in (i forget the date).
I imagine that would be to help pinpoint the room from which the photos were taken (the angle etc.).

mrogers_trib @mrogers_trib That should have said "Nobody else in the world would have any interest in the (images) other than the defendant." 2 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

mrogers_trib We're taking a brief recess before the defense gives their closing statements. Jury has left courtroom. SP sitting at table by himself. 2 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

mrogers_trib "The state has proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt," Blinn said, asking jurors to find Powell guilty on all counts. 3 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

mrogers_trib Blinn keeps emphasizing, "Steven Powell's secret is out." 4 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

mrogers_trib SP sitting at table, looking down, listening as Blinn goes through the counts with jury.

Just a thought as I am watching this; it saddens me that all of the time that Susan has been missing, 2 1/2 years can't boil down to this. josh's heinous, murderous and cowardly actions can't be the end of it. Susan is still missing, her family deserves to know the truth, she must be in a final resting place near her beloved children. If steve powell knows anything, he must speak up. It is a matter of decency.

For us, those who know Susan and those of us who have never met her, it is important to remember Susan and to never stop searching...searching for her, for answers and for justice for her family.

mrogers_trib "A criminal case is about what has been proved," Currie said. about 1 minute ago · reply · retweet · favorite

mrogers_trib "A criminal case is not about what seems to be reasonable," Currie said. about 1 minute ago · reply · retweet · favorite

mrogers_trib Currie says the 14 counts were all the same. 2 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

mrogers_trib "There a lot of people here. You've all seen that. We agreed at the beginning of the case to put it out of your mind," Currie said. 2 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

mrogers_trib defense now starting closings.

He must have watched Baez last night on Dr. Drew. :/

Defense is talking about the journal....if it was SP's...or his handwriting. Reallllllly stretching it......imo.

mrogers_trib Currie says "(Prosecutors) must bring in the evidence to convince you beyond a reasonable doubt." 39 seconds ago · reply · retweet · favorite

mrogers_trib Defense doesn't have to put on evidence, the state has to put on the evidence, Currie reminds jury. about 1 minute ago · reply · retweet · favorite

mrogers_trib A person has to be convinced that this happened, Currie said. 2 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin