500-Acre Fire Forces Evacuation Of O.C. Homes

scandi said:
Bean, they said one of the areas where it is burning has not burned for a long time. In the Corona fire they say there is 1000 acres that are in jeopardy of burning in this fire. I guess the Corona fire is in Matthew Hills.

The Lake Matthews area doesn't have the development that the Orange County area has. In that fire the wind is blowing the flames towards all the new homes that have been built. I havew to see where your Realtor was Bean. Is that where you are building now?

They say the fires are very erratic. It is amazingt only 2 structures have burned at this point.

Are you safe at your home PaperDoll?
I have a project in Riverside at Tyler and hedrick. We start framing in 3 weeks..so it is good that there are no sticks in the air..they would go poof! This is farther into Riverside County and not near the fire.
lake Mathews is out in the boonies.

JBean said:
her house is in the thick of it. They are doing a good job, but OP acres is surrounded by huge eucalyptus that burn like crazy.
huge eucalyptus trees were the main culprit in the Oakland Hills fire--it's an ideal way to start a fire--all the oils in the wood burn exceptionally well, and very hot, too

500 homes have been evacuated in the Orange County fire.

Yucaipa, I need to see that on a map. They said Irvine has an endless supply of water to fight the fire.

UPDATE: one heli in the air looking over everything with Irvine as its base and command center. They are planning the attack.

4 fixed wing airtankers to drop water in the area. 1 heli from the State in the air, several more ordered. 3 strike teams on the ground, more ordered, like bulldozer crews. 1 1/2 more hours of daylight.

Update on Corona fire coming in an hour.

Pepper said:
Wow, that is quite a ways away. Did he see flames or just smoke?

I lived right off Alica Pkwy. when the Laguna Beach fire happened about 1993 or so. It was scary, and the putrid smell of smoke and the ash was awful.
There was a fire on Alicia yesterday that plugged up traffic in every direction all day yesterday.
That LB fire was something else. I have some incredible pictures from that.

scandi said:
500 homes have been evacuated in the Orange County fire.

Yucaipa, I need to see that on a map. They said Irvine has an endless supply of water to fight the fire.
Yucaipa is in San Bernardino County at the base of the mountain. It is very far from the fire, but you have to get there by going through this burning area.

The real probelm is if fires break out in other locations now. that will be a probelm. All resources are at these fires.

JBean said:
There was a fire on Alicia yesterday that plugged up traffic in every direction all day yesterday.

Yeah, I watched the flames from my patio. I took some video of it. Where was yesterday's Alica fire? I lived at Alica & Moulton Pkwy.

Pepper said:
Yeah, I watched the flames from my patio. I took some video of it. Where was yesterday's Alica fire? I lived at Alica & Moulton Pkwy.
I'll check. Oh! They are saying the car that started this big fire was possiobly stolen!

I don't know exactly where on Alicia the fire was. I am guessing near the 5.
Alicia and Moulton is very near to my sister LYnn. She lives at Alicia and Niguel.

Buzzm1 said:
huge eucalyptus trees were the main culprit in the Oakland Hills fire--it's an ideal way to start a fire--all the oils in the wood burn exceptionally well, and very hot, too

They mentioned that Buzz, as Eucalyptus trees are so filled with oil they are super fuel for the fire.

The mantra is that firefighters protect a structure until the threat puts the men at risk of not being able to get out, and that is the time they leave. They learned their lesson last year when 5 firefighters died when they were run over by the fire. Boy, I remember that well!

The 2 structures lost were homes.

Okay I am going out in search of pictures..I'll be back

JBean said:
Warmer tomorrow into the 90's!
I'm hearing it was 94 in Santa Ana today. Way too hot for March. Then the Santa Ana winds are a - even when there are no fires.

My Goodness, Trace Gallagher on FOX talked almost solid for an hour. How he did that I do not know, but he did a stellar job. FOX coverage is great today on these fires.

Pepper said:
I'm hearing it was 94 in Santa Ana today. Way too hot for March. Then the Santa Ana winds are a - even when there are no fires.
Itwas in the 80's here by the coast..so you know it was hot inland.
I wonder if Lilpony and Tom's girl can smell any of this fire?

I went to get pictures, but I cannot get around the hillside on foot. I was going to take my bike, but I am too lazy. I tried hoofing it, but it was farther than I thought, so I had to turn around.

Poo, Geraldo is on FOX now and the coverage of the fire has stopped. Oh, now he is showing live shots of the fire. The fire is still on the one side of the Tollway {do travelers have to pay to go on this road?}

How about your BIKE Bean? :D

scandi said:
Poo, Geraldo is on FOX now and the coverage of the fire has stopped. Oh, now he is showing live shots of the fire. The fire is still on the one side of the Tollway {do travelers have to pay to go on this road?}

How about your BIKE Bean? :D
well I do have a little extra daylight. I should go out there right now.
Yes travelers have to pay to go on this road.
the toll is adjusted to time of day.
Can be anywhere from 1.50 to 4.50 or so. If you drive thru without paying, the fine is hundreds of dollars.
My time is always worth 4.50 an hour:D

Aw, Sweetie, I was just yokin'. Don't want you breathing any bad air!

i see Tom'sGirl has posted on another thread within the hour, so she must be fine, and not in danger or I am sure she would be right here.

scandi said:
Aw, Sweetie, I was just yokin'. Don't want you breathing any bad air!

i see Tom'sGirl has posted on another thread within the hour, so she must be fine, and not in danger or I am sure she would be right here.
the air is till fine here. The smoke must be being contained within the canyon.

JBean said:
How did you get home? did you have to go to the 55?
You just reminded me of all the traffic that will be coming from Vegas and PS tnight Sunday, end of weekend.

Yes, we had to take the 55...

JBean said:
the air is till fine here. The smoke must be being contained within the canyon.
The smoke was being driven North. We saw it at the 55 freeway. Looked horrible..

JBean said:
WOW, a fire on Alicia? Where? I was outta town yesterday..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48
Back