6 Year Old Kills Herself by Hanging

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Lulu14, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Lulu14

Lulu14 New Member

Not sure that this is the right area, but here it goes:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...ging-death-was-suicide-or-accident?src=usn_fb

2. Loading...

3. Nova

Nova New Member

Children are watching too much cable TV. I was a reasonably precocious, yet often unhappy child and I doubt the idea of hanging myself would have ever occurred to me at the age of 6!

(Yes, I realize that this case may have been an accident. Children has always had an unfortunate tendency to wrap things around their necks without realizing the potential consequences.)

4. Confusion

Confusion Active Member

I considered suicide several times when I was 6, but the thought of hanging never entered my mind.

5. Kimberlyd125

Kimberlyd125 Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet

I agree Nova.
    Kids are not born knowing how to kill themselves or that that is even an option. If this was a suicide, she had to be exposed to something showing a hanging to even know that would in fact kill her.

So sad either way. But the thought of a 6 year old taking their own life if beyond tragic.

6. sallye818

sallye818 New Member

Yes, so so sad :( We will never understand what is in some childrens' minds or what they have to through.

7. wendybtn

wendybtn Active Member

But the stats say about 35 children in this young age range committing suicide every year. It is exceedingly rare, but it does happen.

8. Kimberlyd125

Kimberlyd125 Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet

In the opening article, I read 33 between 1999-2006. Not about 35 every year.

I know it happens. But those who are doing it have to 1) know its possible 2) know a way to do it.

So my point stays the same.
    These kids had to be exposed to the information. And, it's beyond tragic.

JMO

9. MNSuz

MNSuz New Member

This is local. Other news stories have indicated the poor child had a horrid home life with her mom and was exposed to things well beyond her age.

10. lizzybeth

lizzybeth New Member

I suffered from depression at an early age. At around five I used to sit on my front porch and pray that God would take me to live with him. I never thought about killing myself. It just never entered my mind. Kids today are exposed to so much more than we were in the 60's, 70's. This little girl was reaching out for help and it sounds like she was getting it. She may have written the note and wrapped the jump rope around her neck not really believing that she would actually die but that someone would understand the depths of the pain she was feeling emotionally. So, so sad.

Possibly off topic, but are children this young prescribed antidepressants?

11. katilac

katilac New Member

They can be, yes.

12. buffetoflies

buffetoflies New Member

This girl was in foster care. Here is a blog post about medicating kids in foster care.

Another one.

That blog is written by a man who has (or was) a guardian ad litem in hennepin county, Minnesota (same county this girl lived/died in) since the mid 90s. If you read down a bit in the first link he tells about the 4 year old girl he met for the first time on a suicide ward.

This girl is one of (the many) kids who fell thru the canyon wide 'cracks' in Minnesota's child protection system.

Here is a new article detailing how she was in a very unsafe foster home.

I will say that one of the newspapers said she couldn't be with her grandmother because 'her house was too small' however that is not true. I checked public records and her grandmothers husband is ... not a very nice guy.

Except that Kendrea’s short 6 years of life were far from normal.

13. JourneyRain

JourneyRain New Member

This case breaks my heart. I work with kids in the foster care system as a counselor. Sometimes it's no better than where they were.

14. Momoffourboys

Momoffourboys Active Member

This is the saddest thing I have ever read.
    At 6...oh my gosh.

15. SAgal

SAgal New Member

I've read several Star Tribune newspaper articles regarding this girl's death. I have difficulty believing 6 year old could tied such a sophisticated, strong, noose-like-knot with a jump rope to hang herself. This is such a sad, situation.

16. tlcya

tlcya Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Pardon the multiquote but I did so as I read and caught up with this thread and as thoughts were coming to me. I quoted posts that caused me to consider and think along the way.

While I do not disagree, yours caused me to react with the thought: Yes, kids have way more access to info good, bad and confusing or influential, than in previous years. But, what did this child live prior to arriving where she was? Could that also have been a contributing factor. We read each day here about cases that are literally soul ripping and mind numbing in their horrific trauma, physical or psychological. How much id whatever took this child into foster care play a role?

Thought of suicide possible at that age. but did TV and web contribute to ideation of HOW? Possibly, but yours indicates the thoughts can be there if not the specifics of hanging. But you are you. She was she. Did exposure to adult content play a role? Who knows.

Takes me back to - What has this girl experienced in her six years that may have given her such a fatalistic, end it all outlook?

Thank you for sharing that. I agree that this child may have simply been crying out desperately for more help.

Chilling and heart breaking - thanks for seeking out links to illustrate.

ETA BTW, I will be watching for updates on this one. I am not sold on her committing suicide, but I am not dismissing it by any means. I feel it is possible this poor baby was so devastated. Well I am :fence: and watching as the case evolves. But first instinct. She sought a respite in death :(

17. ~Lyric~

~Lyric~ Where is the Justice for Holly Bobo?

My daughter n law works with children in the system and my niece is a house mother of girls. ( Not DCS ) but still involved much in the court system.
    Recently a 7 year old girl was brought into the youth home where my niece works and she brought her girls ( as she calls them ) to one of our Christmas family functions. I was so surprised to see such a young one there among the older girls. I never ask either of my family members any questions concerning their jobs.
    As for my daughternlaw, every once in a while she will say it's been a tough day.
    I just can't imagine what this child must have been going through on the inside. I can vaguely remember feeling like I was really different, especially after I broke my leg when I was 5 and where we lived, my parents had to take a plane to come see me, as I was in traction and had to stay in the hospital for a month. I can always remember feeling so lonely.
    But to read this child left a note saying I am sorry? Oh my goodness. I just can't imagine. I wonder if she had any contact with family after being placed in foster care, with visits?

Then to read that this child was in horrible surroundings and no one!!! No one!!!! Checked on her, after many reports. All she wanted to do was go home.

My heart is breaking! Something is so terribly wrong. Tooo many questions have not be answered.

18. tlcya

tlcya Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I hear you lyric :( Multidimensional and layered the trauma and heartbreak in this case.

19. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

Do the articles say the girl fashioned a hangman's noose? Even a simple square knot would do.

Even at 6 most of us had seen old westerns that had hangings, but we still wouldn't have thought of it as a suicide option or even realized we could commit suicide. It is also possible the girl heard adults talk about suicide/hanging, if she was around very dysfunctional individuals maybe someone even suggested it to her. The articles say she had healed ligature marks so she had tried before.

When the Saddam Hussein hanging video went viral on the Internet at least a half dozen kids in the Middle East/India hung themselves shortly afterwards.

20. nycgrl

nycgrl New Member

This breaks my heart. RIP little Kendrea.
    The seven year old boy I babysit attempted suicide recently due to bullying at school (a religiously affiliated private school, so yes, it can happen anywhere).
    I pray daily for any child who has to feel this way at such a young age.