7.6 Quake between Acapulco and Mexico City

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/17214725/no-tsunami-threat-to-hawaii-after-papua-new-guinea-quake

6.7 earthquake in Papua New Guinea today @ 12 or so my time.

(The reason I posted it on this thread is because it's part of the pacific ring of fire on the opposite side from Mexico )

I remember when I first really started to follow earthquakes, and read and learn about them, the different kinds, the results of different kinds, et cetera. I learned early on that Papua/New Guinea gets a whole lot of quakes, and while sometimes they seem to be in response to something happening, there were also many that had no correlation.

Still, I'd hate to be in Papua for any quakes...'cause they don't usually seem small...

Interesting to be sure. Thanks for posting, Kat.

Best-
Herding Cats

Anyone else notice how these earthquakes seem to be occurring around 180 to 190 days apart? I read that somewhere and just wondered if anyone had noticed that or what you guys thought about it?

I hadn't noticed it myself, but have read some stuff on it, and have been interested in the timing. I think that a big quake was forecast for March 22, using the 189 day parameter in an experiment...and it looks like it was pretty darned close to that.

I don't know what to think about it. I don't know where it started, or who "discovered" it, but it seems to be bearing out over the last few super large quakes...

All I know is that there is something strange going on; between the noises, the newly discovered "new" hole in the atmosphere, the big quakes, the solar flares...something seems to be going on.

But what?

Best-
Herding Cats

Adding to my post above...

I ran a date calculator for the 189 days from 3/30 (the quake date for this particular quake), and the date that is 189 days from 3/30 is Sept. 25.

I think that, tonight, I'll go through some old data and see if the 189 days holds water, and from when it began. Maybe nothing to this, but then again...maybe something there.

Just as good as watching the dogs for warning, right? LOL.

Best-
Herding Cats

So, o.k., I did a little looking around. I'm not sure that the 189 dates hold water. But then again, I didn't crunch all the numbers and potential variables, either. The most notable exception to everything is the Haitian quake, as it's not anywhere near the date of 189 days, even running several different calculations.

This is tedious, doing it by hand. If there was a computer program that could account for the variables, such as if a sizeable eq fell on a day 5-7 days before or after the 189 days, and then could adjust the next data set to reflect this, there may be something here.

But a brief, unscientific glance shows that there isn't any real pattern that I could find, either with dates or with sizes/magnitudes, or location (shore, sea, or land).

Then again, I'm no mathematician, and like I said, this bored me. So don't take my word for anything.

I'll watch the pups for notice, though. The cats are no good. Sometimes they run, and other times, they're wayyy too cozy and well fed to do much more than look around. LOL.

Best-
herding Cats

HC, on abovetopsecret.com there is a thread called 'quake watch 2012' where the 180 day interval is discussed. You should look it up in there, so you don't have to do the calculations yourself. There might even be a whole separate thread for it.

(I'd look for you, but the formatting of the site is out of wack for me, and I can't figger out how to fix it. It makes reading the boards damn near impossible. I could use IE, but I'd rather do horrible things to myself.)

HC, on abovetopsecret.com there is a thread called 'quake watch 2012' where the 180 day interval is discussed. You should look it up in there, so you don't have to do the calculations yourself. There might even be a whole separate thread for it.

(I'd look for you, but the formatting of the site is out of wack for me, and I can't figger out how to fix it. It makes reading the boards damn near impossible. I could use IE, but I'd rather do horrible things to myself.)

You know, sometime today I'll run over there and see. I tend to not lurk that site too much, but there are some very interesting minds and good solid observers there.

The other thing I was thinking is that the 189 day theory does not account for the many sizeable eqs that occur each year, as well. At the USGS site, there are dozens of 7+ quakes each year, mostly in very very active areas (Vanuatu, Papua New Guinea, Rat or Kuril Islands, et cetera). So unless one discounts those, which is a huge amount of earth movement to discount, there are so many quakes not accounted for by the 189 day theory that I'm not sure it holds much water.

Unless they're saying the 189 day quake theory is specific to inhabited areas and cause death/destruction...which may be the parameters. Dunno.

I'll run over to ATS and see what they've got to say. Thanks for the suggestion - I'd totally forgotten about it.

Best-
Herding Cats

A 7.1 hit Chile yesterday, between Santiago and Conception on the western coast of Chile.

It's not unheard of to see what I call reverberation quakes, which are quakes along the same general fault line at a far different point of the compass. It's not predictable, but it's not unheard of. I'm thinking this is one of those reverb quakes I've seen before.

I must be panicking myself, too, because I've checked all of my eq supplies, found some low, and will replace those tomorrow morning (batteries, extra water, and extra cat/dog food...and some easy boil-in-bag stuff for me). And I swear I felt a small shake about an hour ago (which is how I discovered the Chile quake), but nothing is showing for my area on the map.

Sigh. Sometimes, it's better to not know things. LOL.

Best-
Herding Cats

Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexico City, Acapulco

ACAPULCO, Mexico (AP) — A powerful, magnitude-7.5 earthquake shook central and southern Mexico on Friday. The U.S. Geological Survey said it was centered northwest of the Pacific resort of Acapulco, where many Mexicans are vacationing for the Easter holiday.

The quake was felt strongly in the resort city, as well as in Mexico's capital, but there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

read more ......... http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/04/18/earthquake-mexico/7865967/

As usual, the initial earthquake report was in error, they're now saying it was magnitude 7.2. I'll tell you what, a couple of years ago on Easter Sunday, here where I live we had a 7.2 or close to that. I've felt many an earthquake, being a native Californian. But that 7.2 quake, was realllllllllllyyy scary! Lasted about 45 seconds but seemed like 1/2 hour. :eek:

JMHO
fran

Powerful earthquake shakes Mexico City, Acapulco

ACAPULCO, Mexico — A powerful magnitude-7.2 earthquake shook central and southern Mexico on Friday, sending panicked people into the streets, where broken windows and debris fell, but there were no early reports of major damage or casualties.

The U.S. Geological Survey said it was centered northwest of the Pacific resort of Acapulco, where many Mexicans are vacationing for the Easter holiday.

read more ... http://www.dallasnews.com/news/nati...18-powerful-earthquake-shakes-mexico-city.ece

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back