7th Heaven star Stephen Collins on tape admitting molestation of girls

Ew so creepy and disturbing. Poor girls. Also I feel pretty badly for the other cast-members who’ve now had their syndicated episodes suddenly stopped playing re-runs. I would watch 7th Heaven way back in the day when it was broadcasting on the WB (which is now the CW) - but only when there was nothing else on TV! :drumroll: I never really liked the show (my “cool” teenage self thought they were all quite square, lol).

Hope this guy gets what’s coming for him. And there certainly better not be any of that “celebrity justice” preferential treatment that so many celebs get handed to them; this crime is just WAY too serious for any of that.

I think the weird thing here, that has people questioning the disclosure, is that it wasn't the therapist who disclosed it. If there is supposed to be mandatory reporting for child molestation, then the therapist should have been the one to disclose it under those guidelines- boom, job done. The sketchy part is that the wife recorded the therapy session (btw was Collins aware he was being recorded? Not sure if I've seen that), and then she sat on it for awhile, and then she reported it. Why didn't the therapist report it in the first place? Why did the wife wait?

It was taped in 2012 at a therapy session. The wife went to the police in 2012.

But his post had nothing to do with therapy or anything. Not the one we are discussing. It had to do with wishing the same on Collins as he did on the kids.

Ive been reading Nova's posts for a long, long time and I don't think you'd ever catch him downplaying the abuse of a child. I disagree with him on the issue of abuse allegations that surface in therapy being disclosed but I'm very certain he would never suggest that abuse suffered by a child is no big deal.

It wasn't Nova's post but a previous poster that discussed how children can cope fairly easily and then Nova's just added to my sadness. I won't be posting on this thread again.

Upon hearing the news of SC my mind went to Josh Powell's dad. They remind me of each other in more ways than one. Creepy.

It wasn't Nova's post but a previous poster that discussed how children can cope fairly easily and then Nova's just added to my sadness. I won't be posting on this thread again.

I'm very sorry, Plumeria5. I certainly didn't mean to hurt you, and I hope it was clear I never for a moment minimized your personal experience. I would never do that.

gitana1 is right: it would never occur to me to suggest child molestation "doesn't matter" because children are resilient.

My only point about therapy is that confidentiality encourages candor in the therapeutic process, and that's something we want to encourage, I think.

gitana1--if you know; I don't expect you to research this--is there no time limitation on mandatory reporting?

If I understand the reports linked above, SC was talking about events almost 40 years in the past. Does the reporting mandate last forever? The statute of limitations had already tolled for criminal charges against Collins. (I think.)

I am a little shocked by this. I too watched the show. It seems odd that this is out there while the guy is getting a divorce. But, if his wife wanted spouse support, and if he can't work. .... He will go bankrupt.
The thing is with anything related to this subject. In my experience anyways. It is touch and go. Sometimes I am totally fine. Sometimes situations or even words said to me bring me back to it. I get uncomfortable to almost freaking out when cornered. I cuddle for 2 minutes then I need my space.
It does help to talk it out, even that is weird. (Ime) 22 years later I got council in a few months after. I felt ashamed but lucky it could have been a lot worse.
I am also a very strong woman who will defend myself and far anything head on. Something that I vowed to do when I was 14.

"Stephen Collins is now under investigation by a third law enforcement agency for allegedly molesting and/or exposing himself to young girls ... TMZ has confirmed."

"Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. is looking into at least one incident in which Collins exposed himself to a 14-year-old girl."

"Our sources say ... the incident involves a relative of a neighbor when Collins lived on Havenhurst Drive in West Hollywood from 1983 -1984."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/10/15/steph...or-sheriff-audio-investigation/#ixzz3GFXG62g2

I had worse things happening to me as a child, and I don't consider myself a victim of sexual abuse, nor do I see it as something that has ruined my life. It was certainly unpleasant, but I think most children can deal with such occurrences fairly well. I personally don't think that exposing yourself to a child is in the same league as raping the child - which is why, I think, his victims did not come forward. The former you'd rather forget as an unpleasant memory of a creepy guy, while the latter is a fixed moment in your life, that you want to go back to and make right.

I don't understand your reasoning at all and find it quite offensive actually. I would NEVER downplay the abuse of a child at any level, and having a cavalier approach to your experiences may be a great coping strategy for YOU, but I have certainly not lost my humanity or empathy for anyone, male or female who has been subjected to a humiliating experience from a 'creepy' guy/woman. Those experiences, those smells, those looks of desire from adult, that pain, those sounds and groans, that loss of trust is a life altering event, to have it reduced to nothing is utterly inexcusable.

I don't consider myself a victim of sexual abuse either, I consider myself a SURVIVOR.

Well we know what he admitted to. In my experience, a pedo will only admit when faced with something they value and are threatened with losing and even then they only admit to the bare minimum required to satisfy the inquirer and secure the item or situation they try to protect. They minimize, downplay and plain old hide the stuff that is too shameful. They give only as much info about the least offensive acts to get what they want out the admission.

MOO, this man did not ust flash his junk at a couple of preteen girls 20 years ago. He also didn't just place a girl's hand on his member once, 40 years ago, never to act out sexually with a minor again. Didn't happen. Doesn't happen. Again this is JMO.

We know what he admits to. We have no clue what else he has done over the years or to whom.

I don't understand your reasoning at all and find it quite offensive actually. I would NEVER downplay the abuse of a child at any level, and having a cavalier approach to your experiences may be a great coping strategy for YOU, but I have certainly not lost my humanity or empathy for anyone, male or female who has been subjected to a humiliating experience from a 'creepy' guy/woman. Those experiences, those smells, those looks of desire from adult, that pain, those sounds and groans, that loss of trust is a life altering event, to have it reduced to nothing is utterly inexcusable.

I don't consider myself a victim of sexual abuse either, I consider myself a SURVIVOR.

I am not downplaying anything, I was just giving you guys my experiences. Granted, my experiences are related to strangers, not to anyone I know, so perhaps that is why I don't find them that scary. To give you just an example, I was chased by a naked stranger, in the park, when I was alone. He was a homeless guy, judging by the way he looked, and the park was empty (I was skipping school, so it was a morning on a weekend day). On another occasion, one of the older boys in the neighborhood undressed me and touched me inappropriately (and made me touch him). Most of my friends have similar experiences. I personally do not consider myself as having been abused because of these incidents (and a couple of others of the same nature).

I have no memories of smells, looks, pain, groans, sounds or loss of trust. I just find them as unpleasant events. No one raped me as a child, even that older boy was not much older than me (2 years), a child himself, and was probably just curious, as all children are.

This isn't about downplaying abuse, it is also about not up-playing it either. I have no idea how those girls reacted or felt. They might either have my attitude, or yours.

Ok, after coming across as some sort of pedophile protector, I will sum up what I am trying to say all along: don't assume he ruined their lives. Doesn't mean he doesn't have to be punished. It just means that the results of his actions might not be as catastrophic as some think.

I am not downplaying anything, I was just giving you guys my experiences. Granted, my experiences are related to strangers, not to anyone I know, so perhaps that is why I don't find them that scary. To give you just an example, I was chased by a naked stranger, in the park, when I was alone. He was a homeless guy, judging by the way he looked, and the park was empty (I was skipping school, so it was a morning on a weekend day). On another occasion, one of the older boys in the neighborhood undressed me and touched me inappropriately (and made me touch him). Most of my friends have similar experiences. I personally do not consider myself as having been abused because of these incidents (and a couple of others of the same nature).

I have no memories of smells, looks, pain, groans, sounds or loss of trust. I just find them as unpleasant events. No one raped me as a child, even that older boy was not much older than me (2 years), a child himself, and was probably just curious, as all children are.

This isn't about downplaying abuse, it is also about not up-playing it either. I have no idea how those girls reacted or felt. They might either have my attitude, or yours.

Ok, after coming across as some sort of pedophile protector, I will sum up what I am trying to say all along: don't assume he ruined their lives. Doesn't mean he doesn't have to be punished. It just means that the results of his actions might not be as catastrophic as some think.

But that's it Lulu, I'm not assuming anything and I don't believe there is such a thing as 'up-playing' abuse upon a child.

As tlcya said in her post above, SC has admitted to something he considers pretty innocuous, a pedo often does this so they appear remorseful and can escape justice, but what he admitted to is still grossly inappropriate and he deserves punishment.
It's evident SC went into damage control once his victims began surfacing and had a therapy session/s to confess his 'sins', he's very clever actually, therefore even more dangerous. Nothing worse than a clever and cunning pedophile, imo.
My thoughts are with his victims, he deserves everything that's coming to him and more.

It's not necessary that we DO understand it. It's her story, her coping mechanisms, and her way of surviving. I respect that, and so many others that have shared their story. :)

It's not necessary that we DO understand it. It's her story, her coping mechanisms, and her way of surviving. I respect that, and so many others that have shared their story. :)

but I think most children can deal with such occurrences fairly well.

I personally don't think that exposing yourself to a child is in the same league as raping the child -

I've tried to remain on topic.

Anyway, will be out of this thread, too triggering and throwing abuse victims under the bus is just not on, imo.

I will take a leaf from your book Plumeria, I tried to make a point but it blew up in my face, I'm the insensitive, who knew? Obviously, there is a grading system of abuse and most get over it quite easily.

This is a triggery subject. I think there are lots of honest opinions being expressed, some differ. That's fine, that's the beauty of a site where differing POVS are all considered relevant.

A new investigation is being launched into the Stephen Collins molestation case.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department is investigating allegations that the 7th Heaven star exposed himself to a 13-year-old girl in the 1980s.

The department on Wednesday confirmed it opened an investigation on Oct. 9 after the woman reported the incident to authorities.

SNIP

The L.A. County Sheriff's involvement now means three different law enforcement groups are on the case.

Ann Oldenburg, USA TODAY
8:56 p.m. EDT October 15, 2014

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/n...gating-stephen-collins--molestation/17332345/

The mystery girl who Stephen Collins admitted he sexually abused was a babysitter for the actor's daughter ... and we know cops are on the hunt for her.

SNIP

TMZ has learned ... the woman was around 13 when she babysat Collins' daughter 18 years ago. Collins' wife, Faye Grant, told cops Collins admitted to her he would repeatedly drive with the babysitter in the front seat with their 6-year-old daughter in the back seat and expose his penis to the babysitter.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3GJtAUakI

uggh, only slightly OT

Author John Grisham has an unpopular (with me) take on child *advertiser censored*.

“We have prisons now filled with guys my age. Sixty-year-old white men in prison who’ve never harmed anybody, would never touch a child,” he said. “But they got online one night and started surfing around, probably had too much to drink or whatever, and pushed the wrong buttons, went too far and got into child *advertiser censored*.”

He recounted the story of his “good buddy from law school” who got caught up in a Canadian sting operation as an example of judicial excess: “His drinking was out of control, and he went to a website. It was labelled ‘sixteen year old wannabee hookers or something like that’. And it said ’16-year-old girls’. So he went there. Downloaded some stuff — it was 16 year old girls who looked 30. He shouldn’t ’a done it. It was stupid, but it wasn’t 10-year-old boys. He didn’t touch anything.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ders-is-too-harsh-they-arent-real-pedophiles/

MOO this line of thought is a dangerous one. The - but he didn't touch anything stance in regards to child *advertiser censored*. Someone touched something. Someone coerced or forced a minor. I hate the minimizing nature of Mr. Grisham's thought process.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alafair
Back