8-Year-Old Arrested After Alleged Tantrum

Thanks Golfmom, I now about the EEI now, but we didn't know there was a problem until she started school.

They have great head start programs, in the rural areas they come to your house and spend 2 hours a week with your child, they are looking for problem areas, but to the kids it's just like a play date.
My younger daughter was involved with that, for a month. Then it was determined that she was developed much further along than normal, well socialized etc... so they moved on to someone who needed the help.

Sudzi said:
Thanks Golfmom, I now about the EEI now, but we didn't know there was a problem until she started school.

They have great head start programs, in the rural areas they come to your house and spend 2 hours a week with your child, they are looking for problem areas, but to the kids it's just like a play date.
My younger daughter was involved with that, for a month. Then it was determined that she was developed much further along than normal, well socialized etc... so they moved on to someone who needed the help.

Yeah, I was kindof in the same boat with my middle child. I even had her tested for preschool services, but they said that she didn't qualify. Unfortunately, they hid a few facts from me and she didn't get the services she needed until much, much later. That's why I was armed for bears and was ready for a fight with my son. Older, wiser, and understanding their *system* I wasn't about to walk away without every single service I felt he needed.

It's a shame they make it so hard that we have to go in loaded for bear!
My littler one is going to be fine with the school stuff, but I'll be willing to bet she going to keep me running with her behavior.
She's to much like me!

Sudzi said:
It's a shame they make it so hard that we have to go in loaded for bear!
My littler one is going to be fine with the school stuff, but I'll be willing to bet she going to keep me running with her behavior.
She's to much like me!

LOL .. I hear that! :D

For everyone here struggling to get proper placement for their kids, I would suggest contacting ACLD in your communities. They are a fantastic resource in helping parents get the right IEP in place. If behaviorial therapy (like this case) or physical therapy etc. is needed they can come to committee and act as the child's advocate. If your child is not getting the proper services in their district because the programs are not available you should insist that they get proper placement. I can go on and on but I won't.

Jeana

I disagree with your post because I realize that you probably know nothing about how inclusion works in a classroom. When it is done properly, all children in that class are hand picked. They make sure that the learning disabled are placed with very generous children. They explain to the kids in the class what the disabilities are when they are obvious and ask the class to act as role models. It turns out very well for both the disabled kids and the other kids because everybody wins. In those situations, there is usually less acting out because even with issues the kids feel accepted.When they feel like they belong, and they have a place to go for help, you will see less of the outbursts described by that mom.

csds703 said:
Jeana

I disagree with your post because I realize that you probably know nothing about how inclusion works in a classroom. When it is done properly, all children in that class are hand picked. They make sure that the learning disabled are placed with very generous children. They explain to the kids in the class what the disabilities are when they are obvious and ask the class to act as role models. It turns out very well for both the disabled kids and the other kids because everybody wins. In those situations, there is usually less acting out because even with issues the kids feel accepted.When they feel like they belong, and they have a place to go for help, you will see less of the outbursts described by that mom.

You may be correct. I feel that physical handicaps and "mental" problems affecting behavior are two very different things. The student at issue should at least be able to handle the environment he/she is in or its not only a disservice to that child, but to the other children as well.

Jeana (DP) said:
You may be correct. I feel that physical handicaps and "mental" problems affecting behavior are two very different things. The student at issue should at least be able to handle the environment he/she is in or its not only a disservice to that child, but to the other children as well.
I'm sure you did not mean "mental" as in scary psycho. There are neurological problems and learning diabilities that can lead to frustration in a child who is trying very hard to learn and at the same time to fit in . Many of these kids have social disabilities ( delays in age appropriate behavior). When you keep them with their peers and teach them to act more appropriately for their age they end up much better off. When these situations are set up properly, the regular kids actually end up feeling good because they know they can make a difference.I am not endorsing keeping a violent kid in the class. Emotionally disturbed kids are a whole other scenario. However when you include kids with diabilities it will be easier for them later in life to be more self sufficient. It teaches tolerance to the normal kids and everybody wins.

csds703 said:
I'm sure you did not mean "mental" as in scary psycho. There are neurological problems and learning diabilities that can lead to frustration in a child who is trying very hard to learn and at the same time to fit in . Many of these kids have social disabilities ( delays in age appropriate behavior). When you keep them with their peers and teach them to act more appropriately for their age they end up much better off. When these situations are set up properly, the regular kids actually end up feeling good because they know they can make a difference.I am not endorsing keeping a violent kid in the class. Emotionally disturbed kids are a whole other scenario. However when you include kids with diabilities it will be easier for them later in life to be more self sufficient. It teaches tolerance to the normal kids and everybody wins.

"Mental" meaning having to do with brain function that could render then unable to control themselves in certain situations, etc. Again, its not black and white. Its going to have to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keziah16
Back