9/14/09 Bail Hearing & Press Conference 8:00 am PT

The next hearing in the case is scheduled for Oct. 29, but Pierson said the actual trial would not begin for at least a year to 18 months (My bold).

Both suspects face several life terms in prison if convicted.

"This is a pretty unusual case," he (Pierson) said. "I don't think anyone has had a case like this before."

Pierson said he expects Dugard will testify against the Garridos.

The Garridos have been held in the El Dorado County Jail since Aug. 27, the day after they were arrested and charged with kidnap and rape for allegedly holding Dugard captive for 18 years in their Antioch-area backyard. During her captivity, Dugard was forced to bear two children -- now 11 and 15 -- to Garrido, and she was kept hidden from view in a shed or tents in the yard, authorities say.

Pierson said that the investigation into the Garridos' activities continues but that no new charges are expected. He would not comment on whether there is evidence that the two girls Dugard was forced to bear in captivity were harmed by Garrido.
from the Sacramento Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/placer/story/2181498.html

No new charges are expected. Hmmmm.

The Sacramento Bee article I cited in posts #16 and #18 continues onto page 2 at their site and includes lengthy information about his parole. This is just one line from there:

He was scheduled to be on federal parole until 2027 when he was released from federal prison, and it is unclear why that supervision ceased in 1999.​

Bungled? *looking around again for opinions*

link: http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/2181498-p2.html.

Yep, that news gets this: :furious: .

Now, if they had said, "No new charges are expected AT THIS TIME" we could relax a bit. But they make it sound like the investigation and processing all that evidence ("stuff" scattered across that property) is complete. I still say "no way" that it could all be processed already.

And what about the analysis of the human bone fragment? I don't believe for a minute it could be from a Native American, since another member here advised that cadaver dogs are trained to search for scent and that 100 year old (or more) bones are fully decompositioned and thus no longer throw off a scent.

My2Sisters, as Antiochians, we know that this fair city was established around the 1840's, and in all the history I've heard I don't remember much talk about Native Americans still living in the area when our leading pioneers settled in. I believe there was a tribe out near the mines, but that is miles from the Garrido property. Maybe we need to ask the Antioch Historical Society about it?

T

Bungled? *looking around again for opinions*

link: http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/2181498-p2.html.

Bungled? It's a cluster**** of major proportions.

"Oh, gee, we don't know how it happened."

California corrections officials have refused to release details of how Garrido, who was on lifetime parole, was supervised by Santos or to provide dates that Santos visited the Garrido home or backyard. James Scarver, a parole agent who responded to a state Public Records Act request filed by The Bee on Aug. 28, said such dates are "exempt from disclosure." He did not respond to a request for the Corrections Department's policies on how frequently Santos should have visited the home and inspected the premises.

Corrections spokesman Gordon Hinkle has said Santos operated "by the book" and would have been to the home numerous times. However, he said, Garrido managed to conceal the presence of Dugard and the two children. The department called a news conference Aug. 27 to take credit for helping to finally find Dugard, and the news release claiming parole agents helped uncover her presence is featured prominently on the department's main Web site.

In contrast, Contra Costa County Sheriff Warren Rupf has apologized for his department's failure to detect Dugard's presence after a deputy was called to the home by a neighbor who reported that children were living there and that there were tents in the backyard.
http://www.sacbee.com/placer/story/2181498.html

"By the book"? Oh, it's one of those "Don't ask me, I just work here," type of things. The minimalist approach. Cruisin' until retirement and pension. Super.

I think that the how, where and when of parole officer(s) visits with Garrido (did they always visit his home, did he come to them, etc.) NEED to be released. If there is a law that such info is "exempt from disclosure", that law needs to be changed.

Now, if they had said, "No new charges are expected AT THIS TIME" we could relax a bit. But they make it sound like the investigation and processing all that evidence ("stuff" scattered across that property) is complete. I still say "no way" that it could all be processed already.

Agreed! Was thinking the same thing myself.

This morning, I was looking for the first time at a photo taken in one of the sheds that shows a microwave on a cabinet to the left, several office chairs, and shelves full of junk, not to mention papers, files, and other detritus on the floor. There was also seemingly a doorway on the left back to another area in the shed with another microwave. There was SO MUCH STUFF in that ONE part of the shed that it's utterly inconceivable it could have been processed already. And that's just one small area.

Anything, even the most random trinket or paper, could be evidence in this or another crime. I had mentioned in another thread about Jaycee's and the daughters' clothes maybe even coming from other kidnapped (and murdered) girls and women. Shoot, remember that photo with the lice treatment? I believe there are numerous other panties and clothing strewn around on the ground there. I would think the investigators would be looking for DNA samples, etc., etc.

Gosh, I dunno, I just hope and pray they are not doing a half-assed job here, but the DA and LE are just keeping things "close to their vests" . . . (gag order from the judge to take into account, too)

I just found this:
"Phillip Garrido also had been on a no-bail hold before today; even if he were to come up with the bail amount of $30 million, he would have to stay in jail
because he remains on a no-bail parole hold for a previous conviction."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/09/garrido-court-hearing.html
So why would his attorney even ask for bail? Can someone explain this to me? I'm not getting it.

Edit: Sorry I somehow missed post #18.

After all the mistakes LE made in the past 18 years it's hard to trust that they will do a good job now, isn't it? To me, it appears they are more concerned with covering their (and each other's) arsses than getting all the evidence. Of course, the more evidence the better chances of finding more LE incompetence over the years. LE in this area was corrupt in the 80s and 90s - I don't know about today.

After all the mistakes LE made in the past 18 years it's hard to trust that they will do a good job now, isn't it? To me, it appears they are more concerned with covering their (and each other's) arsses than getting all the evidence. Of course, the more evidence the better chances of finding more LE incompetence over the years. LE in this area was corrupt in the 80s and 90s - I don't know about today.

There were quite a few scandals within the Pittsburg Police Department back in the 80's-early 1990's, but I don't remember anything signficant about Antioch P.D. I thought Chief Herendeen did a fair job when he was in charge, but I might be forgetting somethings. What do you recall, my2sisters?

As far as CCCSO, I wouldn't say there's been any corruption within the department (again, as far as I remember and I could be wrong so please correct me if I am), it's just filled with a "good ol' boy" attitude in its administration (imo).

I don't know enough about the parole offices or other LE agencies to comment.

And what about the analysis of the human bone fragment? I don't believe for a minute it could be from a Native American, since another member here advised that cadaver dogs are trained to search for scent and that 100 year old (or more) bones are fully decompositioned and thus no longer throw off a scent.

My2Sisters, as Antiochians, we know that this fair city was established around the 1840's, and in all the history I've heard I don't remember much talk about Native Americans still living in the area when our leading pioneers settled in. I believe there was a tribe out near the mines, but that is miles from the Garrido property. Maybe we need to ask the Antioch Historical Society about it?

I'm from Milpitas, about an hour south of you, just outside of San Jose. We have found bones here recenlty that were ancient Indian bones. So it's possible. But why did they just find one small fragment?

I'm from Milpitas, about an hour south of you, just outside of San Jose. We have found bones here recenlty that were ancient Indian bones. So it's possible. But why did they just find one small fragment?

Hi Julie, were the bones found through normal excavation, or by cadaver dogs?

I'm confused??? I thought that there was going to be a press conference after the bail hearing? Was there? Did they say anything at all? Did they answer any questions?

:confused:

I'm confused??? I thought that there was going to be a press conference after the bail hearing? Was there? Did they say anything at all? Did they answer any questions?

:confused:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2yXwU1u45k"]YouTube - Phillip Garrido Bail Set at $30 Million[/ame]

Here's a Youtube vid of CNN's feed of the press conference. It is Pierson the DA talking, and is just 1 minute 44 seconds. So, it's some of the stuff you've seen in the articles, including praising the parole officer.

What!?! How could they leave out the fact that she was a child and all charges specifically related to sex with a minor? What about raising children in such conditions? What about imprisoning a person? I want them to stick as much as they can to this disgusting excuse of a human.

I worry that they will just settle for this one crime as good enough to put him away etc and not look at all the evidence that is there. There could very well be alot of other stuff that could be tied to other crimes, Mainly the cars and items , there was so much stuff in that house let alone the backyard, it all would take months im guessing to go thru.

YouTube - Phillip Garrido Bail Set at $30 Million

Here's a Youtube vid of CNN's feed of the press conference. It is Pierson the DA talking, and is just 1 minute 44 seconds. So, it's some of the stuff you've seen in the articles, including praising the parole officer.

In keeping with my posts since this whole debacle began...we will not be given any information. Everyone is covering their butts and they will use the "respecting Jaycee's privacy" stance to continue to tell us NOTHING about the case. I totally respect JC's right to privacy but I definitely believe that the public has a right to know what law enforcement is doing to investigate possibly related cases and to better understand what on earth these people (the Garrido's) were doing for 18 years!

YouTube - Phillip Garrido Bail Set at $30 Million

Thanks for posting the youtube link. Geez...What a crock of chite. Embarassing and unacceptable to say the least! :boohoo:

another excerpt from the article linked above:

He (the judge) also credited the action of parole agent Eddy Santos who he said broke through a "well planned cover story." The agent brought in Garrido for routine questioning after he attempted to get a permit to hand out fliers at UC Berkeley. During that interview, Santos figured out the woman with Garrido was the kidnapped child-now adult Jaycee Dugard.​

That's hilarious considering that when this very same PO was contacted by Ally Jacobs, the UC Berkeley police officer, he responded to her concern about the daughters by saying the following (paraphrase): "He has no children. Maybe they're his grandchildren."

That's right: he didn't have children, but he apparently he could still have grandchildren! Jesus!

And remember, both the Berkeley police officers noted that they did not get any of the credit by the Contra Costa Sheriff's Department in the beginning. Jacobs even said in an interview (something to the effect of), "We knew that that's not how it happened, but that we would one day get to tell the truth."

It's really something that they're slapping themselves on the back for this. The various , including this latest one, didn't do anything about all the electrical cords running from the back of the house to the backyard, they were outwitted by tarp, didn't find out or do anything about the neighbor calling about the two girls living in the backyard (which is a crime in itself), and on and on over the past 18 years, but yet they get praise. Insane.

This case was so easy to break campus police officers broke it--from another city.

In keeping with my posts since this whole debacle began...we will not be given any information. Everyone is covering their butts and they will use the "respecting Jaycee's privacy" stance to continue to tell us NOTHING about the case. I totally respect JC's right to privacy but I definitely believe that the public has a right to know what law enforcement is doing to investigate possibly related cases and to better understand what on earth these people (the Garrido's) were doing for 18 years!

They won't tell you anything for a number of reasons:
1) It's an ongoing investigation
2) It's an allegation of crimes against minors
3) There is a gag order in place, the DA probably doesnt want to be held in contempt.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back