A Griffin, Oregonian: Kyron Horman has gone from tragic missing-boy case to tabloid

Great to see someone in the media is keeping an eye on the ball . Very nice read.

I really disagree with the article. It may not matter that the public knows all those details , but what went on in the marriage and before is extremely important and could lead LE to conclude that Kyron was being endangered, abused, etc. before disappearing. It could help lead to figuring out whether Terri, someone else, or a stranger took Kyron. It's not tabloid, it was Kyron's life pretty much 24/7 and now he's gone, but we know he was sobbing when he had to return to his dad's house and more and more unhappy about it. He deserves for all to be made known if it might help him be found.

what about poor Kayleah Wilson whose murderer has not been identified?

I bet hardly anyone is thinking about her anymore.

Unfortunately, the crazy things of this case do keep Kyron out there.

I really disagree with the article. It may not matter that the public knows all those details , but what went on in the marriage and before is extremely important and could lead LE to conclude that Kyron was being endangered, abused, etc. before disappearing. It could help lead to figuring out whether Terri, someone else, or a stranger took Kyron. It's not tabloid, it was Kyron's life pretty much 24/7 and now he's gone, but we know he was sobbing when he had to return to his dad's house and more and more unhappy about it. He deserves for all to be made known if it might help him be found.

BBM

Q: What were the "red flags" or warning signs that Desiree Young thought she may have missed prior to Kyron's disappearance? Desiree told the Today Show that Kyron seemed increasingly unhappy when he left their home after his visits with the Youngs. Kaine, did you see any warning signs and if so what?

A: Desiree's quote was not taken in its entirety. As a younger boy, Kyron can express distress when going from one household to the other if he has been having a great time and is looking forward to upcoming activities with that particular household. There was no abnormal amount of this happening after he left Desiree's household or when he left ours to go visit Desiree. He has been unhappy several times when he has had to leave our house to go visit Desiree, nothing Desiree or I would deem out of the ordinary.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kaine_horman_describes_how_ter.html

I agree fully with Anna Griffin. Kyron's real tragedy has been turned into a tabloidesque circus, and it's disgusting. He deserves better.

I am torn about this article. She is absolutely right. OTOH, without all of the "tabloid" details, as previously noted, would we be paying as much attention??
I like to think I would, and simply because something about Kyron, in particular, is tugging at my soul, I do pay attention to every detail. Most of the trash I dismiss, unless it gives insight as to motive, possibilities as to where he could be, etc.
I couldn't care less about her sexting, etc. but it does go to her character.
I don't know anymore, though, after learning all of the dirty details, only that I am still heartbroken, like all of us are, that Kyron is still out there.

I am torn about this article. She is absolutely right. OTOH, without all of the "tabloid" details, as previously noted, would we be paying as much attention??
I like to think I would, and simply because something about Kyron, in particular, is tugging at my soul, .

I know I would be. My 11yr old son looked so much like kyron at his age made my heart skip a beat. If I can get one of my sons older pics uploaded somehow I will post his and Ky's together . I had the pic of Kyron in front of the tree frog exibit up the other day and he even asked where I found the picture of him (my son) at. He realy thought it was himself.

Chili Fries, I agree that these sorted stories keep little Kyron's story out there and "in the news". What bothers me the most is that the media does not always show the boy's picture in every article - DY, KH and TY are not missing so why show pictures of them - show Kyron instead, although I do understand that TH's picture should be out there too. Getting the little guy's photo out whenever they can might prompt someone's memory.

I am not familiar with the farming industry in Oregon at this time of year (or any other time for that matter) but if migrant workers are typical in this area, has LE checked to see if any of these crews may have seen anything. If there is a large population of non-English speaking citizens in this area, has Kyron's story been picked up and published in other languages for those who do not speak English. Are there any other "newspapers" in other languages and are they running with this story too? If people cannot read or understand English, why would they bother to watch the news or read the papers? Just a couple of thoughts, not directed at you Chili but for anyone who might be local. MOO

Clear Channel has donated 30 billboards for the area, 10 in English, 10 in Spanish and 10 in Russian. Don't know about other media coverage.

I like to think I would, and simply because something about Kyron, in particular, is tugging at my soul, I do pay attention to every detail. Most of the trash I dismiss, unless it gives insight as to motive, possibilities as to where he could be, etc.
I couldn't care less about her sexting, etc. but it does go to her character.
I don't know anymore, though, after learning all of the dirty details, only that I am still heartbroken, like all of us are, that Kyron is still out there.

What ''cheeses'' me off the most about this case is that the school ''failed'' to report his absence in a timely manner. Thanks to heavens above, all three of my children were blessed to attend schools who would have notified me immediately (say before 9:30 a.m.) by telephone with a human at the other end if my kid was not in class. That's been sticking in my craw from Day One ---- it's just not cool to not have a human being in charge. Forget the auto dialer recorded message stuff that many school districts have in place. This is gross negligence In My Not So Humble View -- a really huge weak link in the chain of ''command''. We had parent volunteers in our schools that offered their services for precisely this ''service''. It's time for parents to wake up and volunteer (whew off my soapbox --sorry for the rant):furious:

What ''cheeses'' me off the most about this case is that the school ''failed'' to report his absence in a timely manner. Thanks to heavens above, all three of my children were blessed to attend schools who would have notified me immediately (say before 9:30 a.m.) by telephone with a human at the other end if my kid was not in class. That's been sticking in my craw from Day One ---- it's just not cool to not have a human being in charge. Forget the auto dialer recorded message stuff that many school districts have in place. This is gross negligence In My Not So Humble View -- a really huge weak link in the chain of ''command''. We had parent volunteers in our schools that offered their services for precisely this ''service''. It's time for parents to wake up and volunteer (whew off my soapbox --sorry for the rant):furious:

If they believed Kyron was with Terri there was no need to ring her and tell her that he wasnt in school. In this case...IF she did tell the teacher about an appointment i really cant see where the school is to blame for anything.

JMO

Here's some focus on Kyron, from his daddy:

Q: Is there anything the public should know at this point? Any kind words about Kyron?

A: Kyron is an amazing boy. The love of my life since the minute he was born, same for his sister the minute she was born. I can’t wait for him to get home so I can see his infectious smile, hear that contagious giggle, and hold him in my arms again. He definitely brings happiness into our home and I miss him tremendously.

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/n...e-will-spot-Kyron/rL1u2wvUZkGeDwLhNgEdNA.cspx

:blowkiss: to Kyron and Kaine

I thought the article was very well written, and right on.
The media is out to sell papers, and keep the ratings up, so the juicy, tabloid-worthy gossip is what they concentrate on. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it would be tiresome and boring to read and see nothing but "tame" news. That's how the public is wired, the interest peaks when there is something juicy in the news, sad but true.
And all this other stuff might have a real connection to why Kyron is missing, and that is why we keep talking about it.
As long as they keep Kyron's name and picture out there... it doesn't matter if it helps bring him home.
I pray every night that he will be found.

what about poor Kayleah Wilson whose murderer has not been identified?

I bet hardly anyone is thinking about her anymore.

Unfortunately, the crazy things of this case do keep Kyron out there.

If I had a young child or a grandchild missing, and there was no news of interest, I would say and do any kind of crazy thing to get the case back in the news.

As far as this case goes, the whole reason it seems like a "circus" are the reports of Terri's doings, most of which came out as a result of the R.O. which is a public document. In fact, I take exception to using the word "circus," as that implies an entertainment without a purpose. The revelations about Terri's behavior, attempting to hire a hit man, developing a relationship with someone and showing him the R.O. while it was sealed, venting about failing LDTs, etc., all are directly related to this case by showing us the character of the last known person to see Kyron, probably a person who very well knows where Kyron is.

I think this sort of editorial only happens when the suspected person is a woman. We heard lots of lurid details about Scott Peterson, Drew Peterson, Jason Young, Raven Abaroa, O.J. Simpson, etc, etc. and most people seemed to think those stories were relevant to discovering what had happened to the victims.

ETA Don't want to sound heartless, but focusing on Kyron and how cute and darling he is/was or what his favorite color is/was, etc.,except to get his picture out there, does less, IMO, to help find him than focusing on the last known person to have seen him alive.

kyron1jpg-ea69dd9ebb4f2954_large.jpg
Under intense media scrutiny, Kaine Horman (with briefcase) and lawyer Laura Rackner wait to cross Fifth Street in downtown Portland on the way to a Thursday court appearance. Rackner and Horman were seeking to have his wife Terri Moulton Horman removed from their home. The estranged couple eventually decided that she had to leave the home by 3 p.m. Saturday.​

I like the article.

But I won't take responsibility for creating a messed up world for Kyron. That's all on his parents. All of them. JMO

Kyron is still out there. He's at the bottom of a river or screaming for help in a basement or, let's dream a little, eating ice cream, watching SpongeBob and enjoying a respite from the messed-up world we adults made for him.

If I had a young child or a grandchild missing, and there was no news of interest, I would say and do any kind of crazy thing to get the case back in the news.

As far as this case goes, the whole reason it seems like a "circus" are the reports of Terri's doings, most of which came out as a result of the R.O. which is a public document. In fact, I take exception to using the word "circus," as that implies an entertainment without a purpose. The revelations about Terri's behavior, attempting to hire a hit man, developing a relationship with someone and showing him the R.O. while it was sealed, venting about failing LDTs, etc., all are directly related to this case by showing us the character of the last known person to see Kyron, probably a person who very well knows where Kyron is.

I think this sort of editorial only happens when the suspected person is a woman. We heard lots of lurid details about Scott Peterson, Drew Peterson, Jason Young, Raven Abaroa, O.J. Simpson, etc, etc. and most people seemed to think those stories were relevant to discovering what had happened to the victims.

ETA Don't want to sound heartless, but focusing on Kyron and how cute and darling he is/was or what his favorite color is/was, etc.,except to get his picture out there, does less, IMO, to help find him than focusing on the last known person to have seen him alive.

Wish I'd said that ;) Steadfast, right down to the "ETA", you've written precisely the same thoughts I wanted to express last night when I read this article, but was too tired to put into words. Well done. Thank you.

What is so sad is that if it weren't for all the drama his story would probably would have faded by now.

Exactly, and every high profile case has an element of tabloid sensationalism.

Yes, it's almost like, "Please stop talking about or picking on Terri and talk about Kyron", as if the two are not connected.
I really don't get that way of thinking at all.

I thought the article was very well written, and right on.
The media is out to sell papers, and keep the ratings up, so the juicy, tabloid-worthy gossip is what they concentrate on. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it would be tiresome and boring to read and see nothing but "tame" news. That's how the public is wired, the interest peaks when there is something juicy in the news, sad but true.
And all this other stuff might have a real connection to why Kyron is missing, and that is why we keep talking about it.
As long as they keep Kyron's name and picture out there... it doesn't matter if it helps bring him home.
I pray every night that he will be found.

I am a honest person and frankly I grew tired of hearing about Terri and Kaine's side issues very quickly.

I think finding Kyron has been lost in all of the dirty laundry soap opera.

Everyday since this Kaine/Terri melodrama hit it has been all about tawdry divorce issues and Kyron gets mentioned very little. I have felt it has turned so Hollywood-ish.

I don't care about their divorce problems or that she was sexting after he left her or all the other custody/divorce issues.

Where is Kyron and who is looking for Kyron is all I care about.

If they are positive she is the one involved then arrest her.

But everyone has got to keep looking for Kyron.

Now the media only seems to mention his name as an afterthought after they have gone through their update spiel on Kaine and Terri's divorce.

Not one of them anymore puts out that people still need to be looking for Kyron imo. It has become all about Kaine, Desiree, Terri... yada, yada, yada.

IMOO

I resent this quote. It implies that everyone in his life is guilty by virtue of having domestic disputes. Since when was that a crime? Desiree or Tony or his other devastated relatives could hardly have put the Hormans' marriage to rights so it seems a bit unfair to say they're not innocent, especially as the author offers absolutely nothing that points to any wrongdoing from their part to back that up.

Six weeks after Kyron Horman disappeared, we still have no clue where the little boy went or whether he's alive.

Certain things have become clear, though. The fact, for example, that there is only one truly innocent victim in this mess.

Two if you count Kyron's baby sister.

This began as a sad, terrifying story about a boy who vanished. It has devolved into a domestic dispute, admittedly one with enough juicy detail to attract People magazine and the major TV networks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abcdowpp1
Back