A Poll - is the Anthony Trial changing your view of our Legal System?

Is the Anthony Trial Changing Your Mind about our legal system?

• YES - it's making our legal system into a joke.

Votes: 36 17.6%
  • Yes - I feel discouraged about the delays and length of time to trial

Votes: 45 22.1%
  • Yes - it makes me have more respect for our legal system

Votes: 13 6.4%
  • No - it's the same as it always was.

Votes: 75 36.8%
  • No - I always thought the legal system was somewhat of a joke.

Votes: 35 17.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have come to see that it is a game of chess...a game of wit...not innocence or guilt...but how you present your case...did you jump through the right hoops at the right time....

It is a circus...and it is all about how you portray yourself...

At the end of the hearing JS made a comment about good lawyering...is that what we have come to?

Bad coping...but good lawyering....:banghead:

I agree with those who've said it's not the legal system that's the "joke" but the resulting circus of media and players.

I don't for a second believe the legal system is perfect or even "good enough", but it's probably the best we can come up with at the present time. I see it as constantly moving and shifting and adjusting itself in small ways, while keeping a central integrity.

If it gets 99% of the truly guilty and punishes them, in THIS imperfect world, we're doing pretty good :p At the same time, we need to stay on the system and push it forward.

I disagree with some of what you say.
If we want to look at the pieces and parts I would fault the media, the sunshine laws,many of the players and the public at large for the mockery and circus this case has become. But those pieces and parts are most definitely not her trial, and that is a very important distinction.

(snipped, respectfully, by me)

I totally agree, and would go just a bit further with your "public at large" point.

I think the sunshine laws are good, because I believe transparency in government is good. Further, I think the media can be blamed to some extent, but ultimately it's us who consume their BOMBSHELL-type product that create a market for sensationalism and drive them to go further. Human nature, I suppose.

I think the worst part of that human nature is also what leads to some of terrible trolling and flaming that appears on so many interactive sites (forums, blogs, etc.)

I think we'd all be better off if we all, collectively, used our heads a bit more and our emotions a bit less.

Well, I have been exceedingly upset that so many ancillary people have been debased in this case that I had to back away from all of this for a few days. I'm really heartbroken that people who are totally without guile are being vilified. Our legal system supports this. I know, I know ~ the press and media feeds there, too. But nonetheless, it's our legal system that, in the end, says it is fair to allow a defense team to choose any target (RK, JG, TM, all the TES searchers) for their unbridled accusations and innuendos. I wonder at the number of totally innocent peoples' lives that have been forever publicly marred in order that Casey Anthony will have a proper legal defense. It is not fair; it is not what I want a real justice to be. But apparently it is very legal. And that reality has hurt my heart.

Well, I have been exceedingly upset that so many ancillary people have been debased in this case that I had to back away from all of this for a few days. I'm really heartbroken that people who are totally without guile are being vilified. Our legal system supports this. I know, I know ~ the press and media feeds there, too. But nonetheless, it's our legal system that, in the end, says it is fair to allow a defense team to choose any target (RK, JG, TM, all the TES searchers) for their unbridled accusations and innuendos. I wonder at the number of totally innocent peoples' lives that have been forever publicly marred in order that Casey Anthony will have a proper legal defense. It is not fair; it is not what I want a real justice to be. But apparently it is very legal. And that reality has hurt my heart.
Now I understand why you have a Unicorn screen name and avatar. It suits you perfectly. The truth is the good guys working in the justice system can't stop them from doing this. It is impossible to stop them. We can give victim/witness support, but it would take an army of lawyers to sue the dickens out of them for libel and slander every time they said something like this outside of court or litigation documents. That's not going to happen because of the cost of the lawsuits. Still, I believe that good will prevail more often than not. In reality, a situation where defense can slime everyone near a case is the world we have to live in. It is daily fare for LEOs and prosecutors. I've seen people toss aside the careers they so painstakingly built because the attacks on them are so vicious and take a toll in stress. Some nice people retire very early or just plain quit without retirement. When the members of the general public get caught up in it they are shocked and hurt to the core. Now I'm seeing that observers on the internet are also hurt by it. I wish it would stop. It won't. We have to give them the feedback that says "You have no credibility with me when you talk and act like that. Instead, you become the despised one." Give them feedback that says we don't like their crummy behavior. (I'd like to spend more time in the world with unicorns though -- it's far more beautiful and closer to what we all want.)

Now I understand why you have a Unicorn screen name and avatar. It suits you perfectly. The truth is the good guys working in the justice system can't stop them from doing this. We can give victim/witness support, but it would take an army of lawyers to suit the dickens out of them for libel and slander every time they said something like this outside of court or litigation documents. That's not going to happen. Still, I believe that good will prevail more often and that's the world we have to live in. (I'd like to spend more time in the world with unicorns though -- it's far more beautiful and closer to what we all want.)

Thanks, Themis, for understanding. And I know that you're right that it's not going to happen. I'm not so innocent to the world that I don't appreciate that we do have the best legal system known to man at this time. I do appreciate that. But my global view also tells me that there are many, many innocents who pay for the trials of both the innocent and guilty. I just have to keep reminding myself that the trials and legal systems that we have conceived here are earth are not the true and final judgements! :blowkiss:

It's always been a joke.

You are so right. The attorneys and Pros are friends in the real world and they talk and make deals and decisions along with the Dept of Corrections and probably the judges too before the sentencing ever takes place or even the trial as far as that goes. Anyone who has ever been a victim and lost a loved one knows that most of the people running the show aren't on the up and up.

I'm really conflicted about the legal system. I think it's the best legal system in the world, but not perfect.

The area of the legal system I have the most issues with is the family court system. Divorce and child custody/visitation is determined by a chart, rather than on an individual basis, and most often the parents are considered before the child/children.

The criminal justice system works well, and especially modern day prosecution of criminal cases. With the advent of DNA and modern forensic methods, it's a lot more certain that a conviction is accurate. There's less wrongful convictions.

The media plays an important role in our society, bringing us the news, but it's a high competitive job. So, I don't fault the media unless their reporting is exploitative or inaccurate.

The Anthony case is unusual. After July 16, 2008, Casey Anthony had nothing more to say. She was sitting in jail and silent. If it hadn't been for the behavior of her parents and brother, there wouldn't be anything for the media to report, except the documents made available under the Sunshine Law and the court appearances.

It was/is the behavior of Cindy, George, and Lee Anthony that have propelled this case and put it in the spotlight. Their behavior has been beyond anything we've seen before in a criminal case......from lying, attempting to cover up, to violence. I can't remember any other high-profile murder case in which relatives of the suspect resorted to threatening people with hammers, baseball bats, and having to be restrained from physical violence.

I'm really conflicted about the legal system. I think it's the best legal system in the world, but not perfect.

The area of the legal system I have the most issues with is the family court system. Divorce and child custody/visitation is determined by a chart, rather than on an individual basis, and most often the parents are considered before the child/children.

The criminal justice system works well, and especially modern day prosecution of criminal cases. With the advent of DNA and modern forensic methods, it's a lot more certain that a conviction is accurate. There's less wrongful convictions.

The media plays an important role in our society, bringing us the news, but it's a high competitive job. So, I don't fault the media unless their reporting is exploitative or inaccurate.

The Anthony case is unusual. After July 16, 2008, Casey Anthony had nothing more to say. She was sitting in jail and silent. If it hadn't been for the behavior of her parents and brother, there wouldn't be anything for the media to report, except the documents made available under the Sunshine Law and the court appearances.

It was/is the behavior of Cindy, George, and Lee Anthony that have propelled this case and put it in the spotlight. Their behavior has been beyond anything we've seen before in a criminal case......from lying, attempting to cover up, to violence. I can't remember any other high-profile murder case in which relatives of the suspect resorted to threatening people with hammers, baseball bats, and having to be restrained from physical violence.
The more we watched them, the more clearly we understood KC and how this happened.

You are so right. The attorneys and Pros are friends in the real world and they talk and make deals and decisions along with the Dept of Corrections and probably the judges too before the sentencing ever takes place or even the trial as far as that goes. Anyone who has ever been a victim and lost a loved one knows that most of the people running the show aren't on the up and up.
I disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member