A wake for an Indian warrior

Very touching!

Nah-i ge-se-i u-le-tsu-ya-s-ti, Na-quu dv-ga. Aho!
translated from Cherokee, He was brave, now fly. That's on my own cousins gravestone, should be on all of theirs that come back.

Thank you for bringing this beautiful link to us.

Turquoise is my birthstone, and learning more of Indians is close to me.

The honesty and pain in their faces says it all.
One of the pictures had a small print that said, Lakota warrior.

Words fail me with tears in my eyes, God bless this family.

indigomood do you know where this young man was from?

Here is a link, through Google about current Lakota activities in South Dakota.
http://www.geocities.com/wanaunsapi_tiyospaye/index.html

IF I were younger I would go in a heartbeat to experience this.

He was from Rosebud, South Dakota, Pine Ridge reservation.

BhamMama said:
He was from Rosebud, South Dakota, Pine Ridge reservation.

Wonder how many more young men are serving their country from Rosebud now?

Not sure about just that reservation but there are over 12,000 Native Americans serving the military to date[size=-1].
[/size]

It said that there are more American Indians per capita serving in the military than any other ethnic group.

BhamMama said:
Very touching!

Nah-i ge-se-i u-le-tsu-ya-s-ti, Na-quu dv-ga. Aho!
translated from Cherokee, He was brave, now fly. That's on my own cousins gravestone, should be on all of theirs that come back.

BhamMama, That is very beautiful, so eloquently stated. I'm sorry for your cousin's passing, and yes, that sentiment would be appropriate on all Native American memorials.

OT, but I have always been intriqued (for lack of better word) in Native American dance and culture. Chief Hawk Pope, Peter Buffet and Robert Mirabal are my favorite collaborators/musicians. I own both of the Spirit vhs/dvd's...

-my favorite being Spirit: A Journey in Dance, Drums, and Song (1998)
Introduced by Kevin Costner, over 80 performers bring Peter Buffett's multicultural rock and dance spectacular to life with a powerful performance that combines the dazzle of Broadway and the power of contemporary music with the dynamic songs, chants and dances of Native American culture. Spirit will take you on an incredible journey as we learn to experience and find joy in our culture with amazing dancers, gorgeous costumes and heart stopping rhythmic music.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0500130/

-also visually stimulating is the sequel Spirit - The Seventh Fire celebrates and honors the rich culture of this Nation's first people through Native American music, dance, regalia and song. Employing universal motifs and themes, Spirit - The Seventh Fire's story is told through live concert, contemporary and traditional music, epic film including National Geographic Imax footage, spectacular Native dance and traditional heart-pumping Native drum group performances. The Omaha World-Herald has proclaimed Spirit " ... poignant, sad, uplifting, thrilling and powerful."

Spirit - The Seventh Fire tells the dramatic story of one man's journey to find a balance between the culture in which he exists, driven by the "American Dream," and his roots, rich in heritage, tradition and connected to the natural world. It is a journey of self-discovery that renews within him the mystery, beauty and spirit of his ancestors and brings him to a magical place where his past meets his present.

http://www.spirit7thfire.com/

Camper said:
Thank you for bringing this beautiful link to us.

Turquoise is my birthstone, and learning more of Indians is close to me.

The honesty and pain in their faces says it all.
One of the pictures had a small print that said, Lakota warrior.

Words fail me with tears in my eyes, God bless this family.

indigomood do you know where this young man was from?

Here is a link, through Google about current Lakota activities in South Dakota.
http://www.geocities.com/wanaunsapi_tiyospaye/index.html

IF I were younger I would go in a heartbeat to experience this.

Hello Camper,
I'm glad you were as touched as I was with the slideshow. As the mother of a 21 year old son (non military) and the sister of a Marine, I could not stop crying.

I also explored more links that moved me to tears, it was a very emotional night for me last night. I was riveted yet heartbroken at the ultimate sacrifice.
Here is a link to The Final Salute... http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/news/finalSalute/

from that page you can link to the video of Katherine Cathey, she
was expecting a phone call from her husband, Marine 2nd. Lt. Jim Cathey, so she could tell him if their unborn baby would be a boy or a girl. Instead, she got a knock at the door -- the knock every military family dreads.

On that video as well as the slideshow, you see her husband's flag draped casket being removed from the cargo of the plane that brought him home and you see in each plane window a passenger witnessing the somber removal. It's so sad.

From the same page be sure to scroll down and click on
AUDIO SLIDE SHOW/view slide show
on the left of screen click on watch presentation/begin presentation
continue through the whole presentation by clicking on continue and then you can go back and watch the links on the pop up like "bringing him home"

have your tissues near by
6.gif

Wow!

Thank God for brave men like this willing to server their Country and I, for once, don't have enough words.

IMHO, there is nothing more honorable than being buried in a Marine Uniform and touching to see two separate entities, the Marines and the Indian tribe both show their thanks so respectfully.

God bless his parents!

Cal

What great posts with the information, thank you.

Here is an event I will be going to the end of March.*

http://www.denvermarchpowwow.org/
Check out this link, one of the cutest pictures I have ever seen, and all details of the 32nd Annual Denver Pow Wow.

Any of you indian folks have recipes for indian foods?* I was introduced to indian fry bread at a tiny pow wow in another county* many years ago.* Fry bread is so good!!! I am a dummy about any other indian foods!?

God bless all of our soldiers serving our country.* Perhaps you could pass on some recipes by starting another thread, I will let indigomood decide on that. Keep it all on here or start another thread?

Do not want to detract from this fine young man and thread, who gave his life for all of the now living and those to yet come.

Lets keep bumping this thread up so folks come to see it.* Let us not let this thread disappear until everyone has seen this touching tribute.

That was incredibly touching. Thank you for sharing it with us. God Bless this young man's soul. :angel:

That is very moving. Goes to show you that our soldiers - Americans - come from all walks of life.

Camper said:
*snipped*Any of you indian folks have recipes for indian foods?* I was introduced to indian fry bread at a tiny pow wow in another county* many years ago.* Fry bread is so good!!! I am a dummy about any other indian foods!?

God bless all of our soldiers serving our country.* Perhaps you could pass on some recipes by starting another thread, I will let indigomood decide on that. Keep it all on here or start another thread?
Do not want to detract from this fine young man and thread, who gave his life for all of the now living and those to yet come.
Camper, the Denver Pow Wow looks interesting. I would love to go for the food and the Native American dances.

Sure, recipes can be posted here or for consolidation there are recipe threads in the private forums... I have no problem with the recipes posted here but it might be better to post on the recipe threads in the private forums, so all recipes could be found in one spot. They might get lost on this thread in the near future. Just a thought. ;)

what's cooking recipe forum.... http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96

I go to many pow wows & enjoy myself immensely. The dancing & drum playing is so intense......I love it!

I've never been to the Denver one, but put it in my favorites & might see if nothing is going on to go see it. I live in Wis & we have a lot I go to most of them annually. Hayward has a very nice one.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back