Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #183

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something is weird about this, no? If the killer left it where it was found from the timeline LE gave us, it should have kept right on pinging until it died, or the kids were found, unless someone interfered with its ability to do so by shutting it off / airplane mode OR someone found it dead, charged it back up and left it where it was found thereby allowing it to ping again?
Something is weird about this, yes.

So LG's cell phone - was what, an iPhone 6 or? Why I'm asking - what was the battery life likely to be on that device in 2017? I have to wonder now - didn't LE tell us that the last phone ping was at 2:30am on the 14th and that is why they went back out to search? Did she have / carry a battery pack with her that day? I'm asking because she was recording photos / video and using snapchat as they walked along the trail that day - those are likely to be battery hogs. Especially if other apps were running in the background.

RSBM

Not to mention how draining it is on the battery trying to constantly find a signal in a rural area.

Google:
Many modern hikers opt for a backpack that comes with built-in USB ports, which can be attached to a power bank inside the rucksack. This is an ideal way to charge your phone during the day during a hike, saving yourself the worry of charging it once you've pitched your tent in the evening.
-.-.-
If you're an outdoor adventurer or a mega-prepper, you may want to consider getting a solar-powered charger. This handy device only requires the power of the sun to help charge your phone. Plug your phone into your laptop's USB port to give it some juice.
-.-.-

Convert Running Water into Electricity​

If you want to impress everyone at the campsite, the WaterLily Portable Turbine is the charging solution for you. For just shy of $200, you can convert flowing water in a river or stream into a USB or 12-volt (car adapter) power source that charges 24/7.

You can even use the WaterLily to charge with wind, which is perfect if you're not camping near a water source. The Canadian manufacturer claims the WaterLily can generate about 15 watts and charge most small electronics at the same rate as a wall charger.

Unlike the sun, a river is a constant source of energy, regardless of the weather or time of day.

Last edited:
The defense is just lying, don't you get it?

Just kidding.

Agree with everything you said, and it sure will be interesting to see what the State says.

Here is a scenario where your phone would ping at odd times.

Your phone is left in a low lying area (like down near the river) where there are NO BARS.

Then, a low flying plane flies overhead and/or a large truck happens to drive down a road that either of these metal objects would bounce and amplify the signal for a brief second so that the phone gets a teeny tiny signal and tries to ping to the tower.

Then it all stops when the battery goes dead.

Just my 2 cents worth

@Emma Peel This is your reply from the other thread that's closed. This issue has been pretty much overlooked as we discuss his absence from the chambers. Thanks for the reminder.

An important consequence of not inviting RA to chambers is that RA had no knowledge of the chamber proceeding where, without a hearing where RA could be present (and be heard), the Court Hobson-choice-removed his counsel.

IIRC, this critical fact (RA's right to know and be heard on this) was not missed by the SCOIN.

JMHO

Here is a scenario where your phone would ping at odd times.

Your phone is left in a low lying area (like down near the river) where there are NO BARS.

Then, a low flying plane flies overhead and/or a large truck happens to drive down a road that either of these metal objects would bounce and amplify the signal for a brief second so that the phone gets a teeny tiny signal and tries to ping to the tower.

Then it all stops when the battery goes dead.

Just my 2 cents worth
Yeah I was wondering about a cell phone dead zone in the area where the kids were found. I have some areas in town even now where my signal is weak or doesn't exist and its inconsistent as to when it will or won't pick up a signal. Some days it is fine and other days it needs the stars and moon to align perfectly in order to work.

I really wish she would have removed them formally but she tried to be nice about it. Being kind often bites us.
In any job, if someone was killed... I believe the supervisor would ask you to turn in all your files and they will follow up with next steps. And or you would be fired on the spot. If the matter wasn't so serious I would understand the frustration with her not doing it the "right way". They knew why they were being called in that office that day.
I thought a lot about what if she had done that and if L&S had stayed on the case. Then I thought about RA being found guilty and the appeal that would follow.

I think I've decided I'm really glad that didn't happen. I'll have to listen to the Indiana Supreme Court oral argument again to be sure, though.

IMO there was no way she was being nice; her intent was to humiliate them in public.

I thought a lot about what if she had done that and if L&S had stayed on the case. Then I thought about RA being found guilty and the appeal that would follow.

I think I've decided I'm really glad that didn't happen. I'll have to listen to the Indiana Supreme Court oral argument again to be sure, though.

IMO there was no way she was being nice; her intent was to humiliate them in public.
I can see that angle. But I believe they wanted cameras and made a motion she granted before the leaks came about in early oct. I would have to go look at the docket.

ETA: Looks like the D requested this on 9/13/2023. The State responded on 9/25 that they were not in agreement. And yes.. Judge granted it on 10/17 after she likely knew she wanted to throw them off and before the 10/19 in chambers.

Last edited:
Something is weird about this, yes.
IMO, Something has always been off about the State's timeline vs the CS evidence vs eyewitness accounts. It seems to me to be too many assumptions in between a few selected (incomplete) facts piled one upon another which forces a timeline to fit to a particular perp, rather than a timeline that fits the knowns and the evidence.

(Also, BG animations are an tips tool, an avatar, and not an identification tool and the only evidence related to Libby's phone are it's digital data communicating w/ towers and satellites, and the original raw data/video or other photos that Libby's phone recorded that day. For the Defense to get that 1st days collected primary evidence/information from the State as late as THIS MONTH is also weird.)

JMHO

Perhaps we're being punked about pings.

Perhaps these were events internally generated that awakened the phone. Incoming calls/texts. Scheduled updates.

A stretch to describe that as the phone being somehow in transit. Phone may have had its reasons for trying to ping off one tower or another.

The D is trying to delay the time of death to a point in time where RA has a locked alibi

But I suspect the actual data will show that, at a point that afternoon, Libby's phone didn't move but did continue communicating with towers, none of which was generated by Libby herself. And the cessation of human driven contact on her phone indicates TOD, close to 2:13 and nowhere near 5 pm on 2/13 or 4 am on 2/14.

Think about what happens to one's phone when left on a charger overnight. It doesn't move but apps are updated. Emails and messages are received. Busy phone, no one in possession of it.

It's only the Defense trying to manipulate the timeline.

JMO

I need help on the pings.
A phone will ping when it gets close to a new tower, when you change the connection status and when it needs to establish a connection (such as for a phone call). Source
Wouldn't the tower have registered a ping every time someone called and it bounced off that tower to ring Libby's phone? Same with incoming texts.
IOW, Is it possible we're looking at people calling/looking for them. :(

A phone will ping when it gets close to a new tower, when you change the connection status and when it needs to establish a connection (such as for a phone call). Source
Wouldn't the tower have registered a ping every time someone called and it bounced off that tower to ring Libby's phone? Same with incoming texts.

Hopefully the State has turned over the family's phone records by now (and anyone else who was searching for them) so they will be able to tell if that's what it was....

IMO exactly this.

That's a good point you both made that those could have been updates, text, calls etc causing the phone to ping. I know if I was a parent or friend I would be texting/calling and hoping. Not to mention the phone is found inside a shoe underneath Abby. I really feel it was put there on purpose. Could one of them stuck the phone in their shoe to hide it? I don't think so but this is troubling.

I wonder if there were any fingerprints on Libby's phone. Even her own. I doubt it.

Hypothetically speaking, if the girls were not there all night, but were brought back in the wee hours of the morning, and the phone was intentionally left by the killers, what would be the purpose in powering the phone on (hence the ping) instead of just leaving it powered off? Thinking as a criminal I mean...why would they do that?

IMO MOO

I wonder if there were any fingerprints on Libby's phone. Even her own. I doubt it.

Hypothetically speaking, if the girls were not there all night, but were brought back in the wee hours of the morning, and the phone was intentionally left by the killers, what would be the purpose in powering the phone on (hence the ping) instead of just leaving it powered off? Thinking as a criminal I mean...why would they do that?

IMO MOO
what if the bridge video was erased and recovered on her cloud? That would be great reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Essmat Arafa