Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #184

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know the date of when RA made the confessions with the wrong details? I might have forgotten. TIA.

Well, they claimed he was suicidal when he entered Westville an that's why he was placed on suicide watch. That was the starting point for my opinion. I guess the options from there range from:
1. he had no meds and was putting it on for show
To
2. they were doping him up until they got all the confessions they thought they needed.

Since none of us know the details, one opinion is as good as the other. IMO
That second option is no option if you're a prosecutor. IF RA was being doped up by the P to get confessions, there's no way those would hold up, at all. I think that's why he was being give meds that he obviously, according to the doctors, didn't need. Now after he started eating feces and drinking toilet water those doctors may have reevaluated that. JMO The trial will tell us the particulars of all the confessions, if they are admitted.

New:
05/16/2024Order Issued
Ex parte communication received from Lance R. Bloom ordered coped and sent to counsel of record and the Clerk of Carroll Circuit Court for filing in this case.
Judicial Officer:Gull, Frances -SJ
Noticed: McLeland, Nicholas Charles
Noticed: Baldwin, Andrew Joseph
Noticed: Rozzi, Bradley Anthony
Noticed: Luttrull, James David JR
Noticed: Diener, Stacey Lynn
Noticed: Auger, Jennifer Jones
Order Signed: 05/16/2024
05/16/2024Order Issued
The Court has received a Request for Recording of Court Proceedings by News Media from Corryn Brock, WPTA, for October 14 - November 15, 2024, and denies same.
Judicial Officer: Gull, Frances -SJ
Noticed: McLeland, Nicholas Charles
Noticed: Baldwin, Andrew Joseph
Noticed: Rozzi, Bradley Anthony
Noticed: Luttrull, James David JR
Noticed: Diener, Stacey Lynn
Noticed: Auger, Jennifer Jones
Order Signed: 05/16/2024
These requests for cameras in the courtroom are just getting more and more ridiculous. MO

I found this statement from the former attorneys interesting:

Lebrato says he thinks that when Allen found out that his attorneys would be off his case, he may not have had the understanding or legal concepts to know he would automatically be appointed other public defenders. “He may have been thinking that he and his wife were going to have to hire private attorneys or he wasn’t going to have representation. I don’t know. But that’s strictly my opinion, my belief, based on things I’ve seen and heard,” Lebrato said.

Also of note in this article, the letter written to the court was written by Rozzi. RA just signed it.EXCLUSIVE: Richard Allen's former defense attorney doubts he'll get a fair trial

Thanks for that linked Court TV article above: ( EXCLUSIVE: Richard Allen's former defense attorney doubts he'll get a fair trial )

I also found the other Lebrato comments from this linked article compelling; in sum:

- Lebrato believes it is going to be hard for Allen to get a fair trial.
- Lebrato believes Allen did not commit this crime.
- Lebrato states Allen is calm, soft-spoken, and totally respectful and always show gratitude for those working on his defense.
- Lebrato says Kathy, Allen's wife, stands by Allen.
- Lebrato agrees that the investigation into the 2017 double murders was flawed.
- Lebrato believes there are problems with the information used to obtain the search warrant for Allen's home and was filing a Franks similar to the original D's 1st Franks.
- It bothers Lebrato that the arrest came immediately before the new sherrif election and that that is not just a coincidence.
- Lebrato wondered if perhaps Allen had changed his mind over his counsel preference whilst Lebrato was his counsel, but he does not know.
- Lebrato said Kathy thanked him for his service.
- Lebrato says he's handled as many as 100 murder cases, and 50 of them to trial, including DP, but in his 25 year career he's never seen a pre-trial defendant treated as harshly as Allen.
- Lebrato says he's confident Allen is in capable hands w/ Rozzi & Baldwin; they are both good attorneys.
- Lebrato says he would have liked to stay on the case, it's fascinating, and it's rare to have such a high-profile case where you honestly think you have an innocent client.

JMHO

Last edited:
Yes most criminal defense attorneys charge a retainer fee from 3-10k depending on the complexity of the case.
Realtor fees on selling his home were probably around 15k. And didn’t get him any closer to freedom. IMO
I imagine he did get advice from an attorney which is why he signed the POA to his spouse giving her all the marital assets and claiming indigent.
I don’t know if an attorney advised him he didn’t have much of a case worth fighting with his own money or he came to that conclusion himself.
I just think it’s interesting that he and his family including his parents wouldn’t pony up to pay for his defense.
JMO
I saw this one but he's not from Indiana; I would guess attys look at assets and income when it comes to setting the retainers. Especially in a case this big and time consuming.

$15,000 sounds about right for Realtor fees.
Maybe someone could ask the judge why he found RA indigent.

Rixon Charles Rafter III​

Litigation Lawyer
4.9285714285714 stars
42 reviews

Rating: 10
MessageView Profile
Posted on Jun 8, 2018
Depends on many variables.
On the one hand, some lawyers will be free (a public defender for example). On the other hand, some will want $100,000 just to start.

It all depends on the facts, the situation, the circumstances, the lawyer (each charges different for each situation), the issues, the location, the state.....

A fee for a petty larceny charge that is reduced and plead out is less than a fee for a complicated multiple murder charge that goes all the way to trial.

Why don't you contact a few criminal defense attorneys in your area, describe your situation, and see what they are willing do to. You can (and should) negotiate what you can afford depending on the charges and the long term impact on your life.

Good luck to you.

No at all, IMO

If ever an Indiana case needed transparency, it is this one. I hope the media pushes it as far as they can.
I hope the old days of investigative reporting return.
That one that you posted said, it was RA's right to have cameras in the courtroom so he could watch his trial on tv in prison. Ridiculous...for the obvious reason he'd be IN the courtroom for his own trial.

That one that you posted said, it was RA's right to have cameras in the courtroom so he could watch his trial on tv in prison. Ridiculous...for the obvious reason he'd be IN the courtroom for his own trial.
You have totally lost me. I've only seen what I posted. Do you mean this one?
05/16/2024Order Issued
Ex parte communication received from Lance R. Bloom ordered coped and sent to counsel of record and the Clerk of Carroll Circuit Court for filing in this case.

Do we know the date of when RA made the confessions with the wrong details? I might have forgotten. TIA.

IMO, You've forgotten nothing ... and it's a smart question. Discussions should acknowledge unknowns and this is one of them.

At this time, IMO, ... we know next to nothing about RA "confessions" or "statements against interest", or their dates ... including what you've asked about here. IMO, we don't know the number of statements nor timing. (From the P, we have seen in filings an estimate for the P's number of witnesses on this topic.)

JMHO

Thanks for that linked Court TV article above: ( EXCLUSIVE: Richard Allen's former defense attorney doubts he'll get a fair trial )

I also found the other Lebrato comments from this linked article compelling; in sum:

- Lebrato believes it is going to be hard for Allen to get a fair trial.
- Lebrato believes Allen did not commit this crime.
- Lebrato states Allen is calm, soft-spoken, and totally respectful and always show gratitude for those working on his defense.
- Lebrato says Kathy, Allen's wife, stands by Allen.
- Lebrato agrees that the investigation into the 2017 double murders was flawed.
- Lebrato believes there are problems with the information used to obtain the search warrant for Allen's home and was filing a Franks similar to the original D's 1st Franks.
- It bothers Lebrato that the arrest came immediately before the new sherrif election and that that is not just a coincidence.
- Lebrato wondered if perhaps Allen had changed his mind over his counsel preference whilst Lebrato was his counsel, but he does not know.
- Lebrato said Kathy thanked him for his service.
- Lebrato says he's handled as many as 100 murder cases, and 50 of them to trial, including DP, but in his 25 year career he's never seen a pre-trial defendant treated as harshly as Allen.
- Lebrato says he's confident Allen is in capable hands w/ Rozzi & Baldwin; they are both good attorneys.
- Lebrato says he would have liked to stay on the case, it's fascinating, and it's rare to have such a high-profile case where you honestly think you have an innocent client.

JMHO
And Lebrato said Judge Gull was a consummate professional, with an impeccable record too.

No at all, IMO

If ever an Indiana case needed transparency, it is this one. I hope the media pushes it as far as they can.
I hope the old days of investigative reporting return.
The old days of genuine investigative reporting are gone IMO. It's all moved to SM platforms and any person with a mic and a computer can spout out baseless and untrue facts. Sad to see it, but that's what's happening.

MOO

This overlaps with a lot of previous posts, but here’s where I am now on what RA did, how, and why.

1) He’s not in with the Odinists, but he was aware of them. All the crap with runes and twigs is a frame-up by him of them. He processed some of their photos or saw things on Facebook. Odinism has a presence in the area.

2) He is involved with the Antony Shots account. He either was the person Liberty was talking with the night before the murders or he had info from that person. Perhaps he just logged in and found someone else’s previous conversation.

3) He knew that at least Libby was coming to the Monon High Bridge and when.

4) He’s BG. He worked alone, at least from this point. He controlled them with the gun at first, then used zip ties or handcuffs. (This might come out at trial since characteristic marks from such restraints can be noted by the medical examiner.) There was time.

5) The motive was pedophile voyeurism. He took photos but didn’t try to shop them on the Dark Web or anywhere else. They’d have surfaced in a year or two and he’d have been caught much sooner. He kept them for himself and most likely destroyed them before the search of his property found all those phones. If he didn’t, no wonder the D wants the search products thrown out.

That’s it. Revelations in the trial may blow it all out of the water, if there is one. He may talk. Or not.

Pure opinion.

Last edited:
Lebrato sounds like he's from central casting for Defense Counsel should the re-instated counsel become un-instated again.

At first blush, this case reads like a SODDI defense dream.

Except for the exhaustive investigation that systematically ruled out once-promising leads.

And, while RA isn't a flashy lead, he's the one LE hasn't been able to eliminate...

That's where it sits for me.

JMO

Lebrato sounds like he's from central casting for Defense Counsel should the re-instated counsel become un-instated again.

At first blush, this case reads like a SODDI defense dream.

Except for the exhaustive investigation that systematically ruled out once-promising leads.

And, while RA isn't a flashy lead, he's the one LE hasn't been able to eliminate...

That's where it sits for me.

JMO
And RA has done exactly the opposite of eliminating himself, he's proclaimed his guilt many, many, many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173