Abductions or Attempted Abductions Involving Schools

Not even remotely similar, imo. And it's clear that her mother was not suspected because she was in the gym with her 4yo son at the time. People must have seen both her and the girl there, then they saw only the Mom.

snip and bbm from the articles linked:

14-year-old Deanie Peters disappeared from her little brother's wrestling practice at Forest Hills Central Middle School

snip~

Deanie was at the middle school with her mother to attend a wrestling clinic for youngsters, including her 4-year-old brother. At some point, she crossed the gym floor and exited a doorway. Stories differ as to whether she was headed to the restroom, sneaking out for a cigarette or bound for a friend's nearby home.

I can't really tell what the point of this thread is wrt Kyron's case by the title. Is it to show that a stranger abduction FROM INSIDE the school is likely, or a very remote possibility? We all know that many abductions involve children on their way to/from school. But most abductions FROM school are not by strangers. I don't think there can be any legitimate dispute that stranger abductions from inside a school are uncommon. In fact, they almost never happen. That's one of the things that makes this case so remarkable.
So what are the posts in this thread driving at?

Since I'm the one who brought up Deanie Marie Pyle Peters, I'd like to defend my choice to do so. I responded to the original topic, which states to give examples of abductions that have happened within, outside or enroute to school. I happened to remember Deanie's case from looking through the Charley Project awhile ago and did a search here on WS just to double check that no one had already mentioned it on this thread.

As far as I know, the criteria for coming up with an example did not include that everything had to be identical to the Kyron case. Deanie was 14 years old. And? She was not a troubled teen and they ruled out pretty quickly any chances of her being a runaway. This happened while there was a busy event going on within the school. Sure, it was after school as opposed to the morning. Yes, the mother had an obvious alibi sitting in the crowd with her other son. It still meets the criteria of her being abducted in or around the school.

Also, I don't know if you have had the time to read the websleuths thread on that topic. But, there are some interesting things there, including that it did not come out until several years later that Deanie had been having problems with some girls (picking on her) over some boy. Incidentally, one of the girls involved in that was related to an officer who had been originally assigned to the case. Again, I am obviously not saying that Kyron would be in that type of situation. Just that it is good to look back at cold cases, cases that happened in a similar type of environment and see maybe where things went wrong (overlooking things) so that it does not happen again.

Such a heartbreaking case! Years and years of searching, interviewing, and still the parents have no answers, no body, no justice. My heart goes out to LE for the tragedies they investigate for years. Children who disappear without a trace leave loved ones with so much heartbreak. Thanks for such an interesting case. Pretty sure I saw this on Cold Case Files. moo mho

Yep, definitely! I learned some new things even just looking further through the Websleuths topic about Deanie. Somebody really dropped the ball on that one. It was also very surreal to read the articles where they went back and interviewed some of the people who were teens at the time, the ones who were believed to have had a possible issue with Deanie. I mean, we watch all these shows like Cold Case or Forensic Files and this was the real deal, characters from the past coming back to speak and all. :(

Yep, definitely! I learned some new things even just looking further through the Websleuths topic about Deanie. Somebody really dropped the ball on that one. It was also very surreal to read the articles where they went back and interviewed some of the people who were teens at the time, the ones who were believed to have had a possible issue with Deanie. I mean, we watch all these shows like Cold Case or Forensic Files and this was the real deal, characters from the past coming back to speak and all. :(

Thanks again...A cold case hits home like no other - decades later you see the the loved ones continue to search, wish, and seek justice. I watch the cold case files presented by Bill Curtis here in Chicago and have learned so much about initial mistakes, what tips were over looked, solid alibis that fell apart years later, the one person that passed the polygraph...I think I'm addicted to these shows. lol

The case you put up is heartbreaking but the articles are so well written and clear, easy to follow that now I'm going to look this case up for more background. The thing that is identical to Kyron is that both children went missing without a trace. And so many children do just that. moo mho

I can't really tell what the point of this thread is wrt Kyron's case by the title. Is it to show that a stranger abduction FROM INSIDE the school is likely, or a very remote possibility? We all know that many abductions involve children on their way to/from school. But most abductions FROM school are not by strangers. I don't think there can be any legitimate dispute that stranger abductions from inside a school are uncommon. In fact, they almost never happen. That's one of the things that makes this case so remarkable.
So what are the posts in this thread driving at?
(Respectfully snipped and bolded by me)

Why does the thread have to be "driving at" an end goal? From my pov we are discussing cases that have happened involving schools and abductions/ attempted abductions from them. Wrt Kyron...he disappeared from a school, whether by his sm or a stranger that is where it started so, in moo knowing about other cases helps me to understand this case more.

Maybe the end goal is knowledge about similar cases in order to frame this one, and not necessarily whether or not stranger abduction from inside the school is likely.

Since I'm the one who brought up Deanie Marie Pyle Peters, I'd like to defend my choice to do so. I responded to the original topic, which states to give examples of abductions that have happened within, outside or enroute to school. I happened to remember Deanie's case from looking through the Charley Project awhile ago and did a search here on WS just to double check that no one had already mentioned it on this thread.

As far as I know, the criteria for coming up with an example did not include that everything had to be identical to the Kyron case. Deanie was 14 years old. And? She was not a troubled teen and they ruled out pretty quickly any chances of her being a runaway. This happened while there was a busy event going on within the school. Sure, it was after school as opposed to the morning. Yes, the mother had an obvious alibi sitting in the crowd with her other son. It still meets the criteria of her being abducted in or around the school.

Also, I don't know if you have had the time to read the websleuths thread on that topic. But, there are some interesting things there, including that it did not come out until several years later that Deanie had been having problems with some girls (picking on her) over some boy. Incidentally, one of the girls involved in that was related to an officer who had been originally assigned to the case. Again, I am obviously not saying that Kyron would be in that type of situation. Just that it is good to look back at cold cases, cases that happened in a similar type of environment and see maybe where things went wrong (overlooking things) so that it does not happen again.

I didn't know who brought the case forward originally. I was responding to a post that said the Deenie case was similar. I stand by mine that said it is most DISIMILAR. Given the topic heading, YOUR post is, indeed, totally on point. And that's why I don't get the topic in the first place. Kyron didn't go missing *involving* a school. He went missing from INSIDE a school. Which almost never happens. So unless we're going to treat schools like prisons (and I HATE the idea of that) all of these *examples* just create totally irrlevant paranoia...IF they are supposed to be relevant to Kyron's case. imo.

The purpose of the thread is in the header. We're looking at other school-related abductions. As part of that, several people have talked about safety for kids, including actual tests that show even kids educated about safety will walk off with an adult who seems trustworthy.

Is there a case cited here that includes a boy exactly Kyron's age who disappeared in exactly the same way at exactly the same time of day, etc? Nope.

But every day parents send their children off for transport to school, to be in school, to take part in special events both during and before/after school hours, to take field trips, to do school-related activities. For most parents that I know, the abduction of a child is major, scary stuff, and especially so when a child is taken from an environment where he/she is supposedly under supervision by people entrustetd with his/her welfare.

As a result of Kyron's abduction, many have suggested, and Skyline has now implemented, greater safety measures to protect children and track what goes on (these measures, IMHO, should have been in effect all along, but that's JMO). There's been coverage of school safety throughout Portland.

Looking at prior cases where children have been abducted from schools or in activities related to schools--including going to and from, as many predators hang out where kids walk, play, or congregate as well as near schools themselves--is a logical thing to do. And perhaps might lead to greater awareness of potential problems, suggested solutions, and maybe even at some point trigger an awareness of some small small thing in Kyron's case that wasn't totally apparent at the time. I dunno about that as a 100% probability, but I think that looking at other cases can only help raise awareness and provide additional thinking/talking points for community education.

The government and other agencies have websites dealing with these issues, including prior cases. So obviously there's an interest in, and a need for, concern about our children's safety--and for an awareness of the danger points when sending our children to school and school-related activities.

And, as I noted in one of my early posts kicking off the discussion in this thread, in 2000 Dr. Phil thought that the problem of children being abducted from schools was important enough for a whole show. I'll repeat that link.

http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/1107

So the topic seems, IMHO, to be relevant. No one is declaring that Kyron had to be taken from outside the school. And yes, sometimes children go missing from inside schools.

We've had many discussion threads that become part of the complex case that is Kyron's case. I'd venture to say that the majority of those participating in this thread have enjoyed it.

And there have been some very interesting, and relevant stories and background information offered. FWIW, children have gone missing from inside schools, as other posters have pointed out.

I still have concerns about a possibility from inside the school, but as that circumstance still isn't on the "sleuthable" list here at WS I haven't mentioned it. That's OK with me. But I value and appreciate having the chance for people to discuss everything from how grand juries work in general to other issues we're all learing about.

However, if this discussion offends you, my apologies. We all have differing viewpoints on what is or is not important, and thank you for offering yours in this thread. I agree with you--if you believe you're wasting your time in this thread, then you should start a thread about something that deeply interests you or contribute to threads that are fruitful to you. The alternatives for discussion are what WS is all about, and I hope that you find a thread that really piques your interest.

(Respectfully snipped and bolded by me)

Why does the thread have to be "driving at" an end goal? From my pov we are discussing cases that have happened involving schools and abductions/ attempted abductions from them. Wrt Kyron...he disappeared from a school, whether by his sm or a stranger that is where it started so, in moo knowing about other cases helps me to understand this case more.

Maybe the end goal is knowledge about similar cases in order to frame this one, and not necessarily whether or not stranger abduction from inside the school is likely.

Thank you, goatman. Yes, knowledge is a good thing to acquire!

And speaking of that, there's the fairly new Aaron's Law:
http://aaronslaw.blogspot.com/2009/07/about-columbia-ultimate-kory-wright.html

Hi Kat!

I am having a hard time thinking through this, please bear with me.

(Yes I watched the John Walsh vid :) thanks for sharing, he's one of my hero's).

In your OP you asked will looking at other abductions from schools as possibly giving us insight into Kyron's missing person case and the possibility of whether Kyron left with TH?

I agree this is a good thesis for a thread. BTW.

But, is it possible to narrow it down a bit? There are a few reasons I ask this...

1. Will we be including children that were reported by their parents to have left their home and walked to the bus or to school and disappeared along the way, never to have arrived at school?

2. Will we be including children that attended school and disappeared on the way home while walking and/or children that disembarked a school bus to disappear then?

3. Will we be including children that were signed out by an adult and disappeared?

4. Will we be including unresolved missing children cases or resolved ones or both?

5. Will we be including children that disappeared while at, or leaving structered after school services?

I'm just trying to get a handle on this in my own head. The reason I ask is because it was reported that Kyron was inside the school when he disappeared. I'm not sure how the other missing children cases where the children weren't inside the school when they disappeared will help us understand Kyron's circumstances because the situations diverge so much KWIM?

TIA for insight. I do like this thread :)

ETA: Will we be including just children in Kyron's immediate age range or Teenagers too?

In the best tradition of WS--or at least I hope it is--this is a free discussion thread with the topic explained in the header. You're free to contribute a case, comment on other cases, etc--normal WS chat!

And I'm glad if you like the thread. It really scares me to think of children not being safe at school. Since we don't know yet what happened to Kyron, I still worry about a predator--and if one was there, and successful, then who would be next, and where? Some of these pieces of slime travel (shudder).

I didn't know who brought the case forward originally. I was responding to a post that said the Deenie case was similar. I stand by mine that said it is most DISIMILAR. Given the topic heading, YOUR post is, indeed, totally on point. And that's why I don't get the topic in the first place. Kyron didn't go missing *involving* a school. He went missing from INSIDE a school. Which almost never happens. So unless we're going to treat schools like prisons (and I HATE the idea of that) all of these *examples* just create totally irrlevant paranoia...IF they are supposed to be relevant to Kyron's case. imo.

BBM

Ooops, I'm having an anal-retentive editori's moment here. Yes, Kyron went missing from *inside* a school.

So a school is "involved." It's part of a case. In point of fact, the word "involving/involve" has many synonyms, including.... "including/include". So the fact that Kyron disappeared from inside the school means that the case involves/includes a school. Especially as discussions here have focused on whether or not the school has any culpability. So the school, and their security and procedures are "involved" in this case.

Lily, I'm so sorry that you felt you had to "defend" your post. I thought it was an excellent one, and that case gave us a lot more to think about. Especially with the knowledge revealed later about being picked on and a link to an investigating officer. The Innocence Project has been fighting for a guy in prison for decades for a crime that many believe was committed by a group of girls who were jealous of another one. And one of those girls' father was a police officer, and he kicked in a door on a supply office and evidence went missing. Ahem.

Like everyone, I'm hoping that this case doesn't go cold. And I'm hoping the investigation is taking a look at all possibilities for what could have happened.

I don't think that anyone is saying that abductions inside schools are common. Or, at least, I can only speak for myself and say that I don't necessarily think they are common. I also think it is hard to find any one example that is exactly the same as another, unless of course you are talking about serial predators that use the same MO. Scott Peterson is tossed around an awful lot in comparison to other case players, in this one and many others, involved in cases that are not really the same type of situation at all. But, I guess that is alright.

Anyway, as far as anyone knows, Deanie did go missing from inside the school that is why it was the first one that came to my mind to share here. Whether the other (entirely speculative) things about her going outside were true, the fact still stands that she was inside watching the after school program and then went out in the hallway apparently to go use a bathroom inside the school. I agree that a situation where someone went missing while walking to school might not be the same, which is why I was trying to bring things back to the focus of any cases out there that happened literally inside a school.

edited again to add: They also put together a Grand Jury, which did not lead to any charges, in the Pyle Peters case.

Lily, I'm so sorry that you felt you had to "defend" your post. I thought it was an excellent one, and that case gave us a lot more to think about. Especially with the knowledge revealed later about being picked on and a link to an investigating officer. The Innocence Project has been fighting for a guy in prison for decades for a crime that many believe was committed by a group of girls who were jealous of another one. And one of those girls' father was a police officer, and he kicked in a door on a supply office and evidence went missing. Ahem.

Like everyone, I'm hoping that this case doesn't go cold. And I'm hoping the investigation is taking a look at all possibilities for what could have happened.

Thank you, Kat! I appreciate it. Don't worry, I enjoy a good debate. So, I try to take it all in stride! :) I agree that it is so scary to think of the consequences of this case getting cold and hope it never gets to that point!

Oh, I meant to add that I think this topic developed as a side discussion to the thread called "What is the most unusual thing about Kyron's Case?" and several people talked about the location (inside a school) being unusual. This is for anyone who is wondering how or why this topic developed.

I wonder if they kept anything they could get DNA off of in this case. It sounds a lot like Rodney Alcala's MO here. And he was out and about in April of 1978.

So glad this little girl went on to have a good life!

In 1968, I was 6 years old. I lived in L.A. My neighborhood wasn't perfect, but it was mine, and as such, I'd wandered out to conquer it rather early on in life. I knew every place and everyone. I lived 1/2 block from my school, and to get there, I had to walk from my back door, into the alley, through the parking area of one of two apartment complexes, through the apartment complex property, to the street, then cross the street and I would be standing in front of where the principal's office was.

One day, I started this process, only to be stopped by a man in a car who had opened his passenger door and asked me if I wanted a ride. I told him no thank you very politely. He then demanded I get in the car. I backed away, and as I did, noticed he was not wearing any pants. I turned and ran back home. I told my mother what had happened and, because I'd discussed a man's "pants" she got very angry....at me. I refused to walk to school, and she spanked me until I did. I ran in the opposite direction to get to school, fearing every step that he'd find me.

A week later, he did. I'd made it through the apartment complex (the other one) and had made it to the street so that I was standing on the other side, but still in front of where the principal's office would have been. There were easily 30 apartments with a view to where I was standing. This man's car was parked there and his door was open again. The second I saw the car, I froze. He reached out and was able to grab me. He was pulling me into the car (while I struggled and screamed). The only thing that saved me was a group of kids who turned the corner in time to make him panic and let me go.

I believe that man to be THIS man. I saw his face a few years ago in a news article and the terror rose in my throat before I ever knew what the article was about.

Bold as brass, these people. A school. An apartment complex. Others right there. Each incident lasted less than a minute. Each incident has lasted my lifetime.

In 1968, I was 6 years old. I lived in L.A. My neighborhood wasn't perfect, but it was mine, and as such, I'd wandered out to conquer it rather early on in life. I knew every place and everyone. I lived 1/2 block from my school, and to get there, I had to walk from my back door, into the alley, through the parking area of one of two apartment complexes, through the apartment complex property, to the street, then cross the street and I would be standing in front of where the principal's office was.

One day, I started this process, only to be stopped by a man in a car who had opened his passenger door and asked me if I wanted a ride. I told him no thank you very politely. He then demanded I get in the car. I backed away, and as I did, noticed he was not wearing any pants. I turned and ran back home. I told my mother what had happened and, because I'd discussed a man's "pants" she got very angry....at me. I refused to walk to school, and she spanked me until I did. I ran in the opposite direction to get to school, fearing every step that he'd find me.

A week later, he did. I'd made it through the apartment complex (the other one) and had made it to the street so that I was standing on the other side, but still in front of where the principal's office would have been. There were easily 30 apartments with a view to where I was standing. This man's car was parked there and his door was open again. The second I saw the car, I froze. He reached out and was able to grab me. He was pulling me into the car (while I struggled and screamed). The only thing that saved me was a group of kids who turned the corner in time to make him panic and let me go.

I believe that man to be THIS man. I saw his face a few years ago in a news article and the terror rose in my throat before I ever knew what the article was about.

Bold as brass, these people. A school. An apartment complex. Others right there. Each incident lasted less than a minute. Each incident has lasted my lifetime.

Oh, Debs. That must be such a hard story to relive and to tell. Thank you for sharing it. I'm so glad, so very glad, that you escaped.

It takes 10 seconds or less to disappear a child, I read somewhere.

And I know what you mean about the terror rising again. Anyone who's been the victim of a savage crime never, ever forgets, and anything "like" that brings back the terror. Let alone seeing a picture of the perp.

This is weird. A mother reported that someone in an F-150 white pickup truck tried to snatch her child near the elementary school. She called 911, but police said she had never reported the crime.

However, police did say that there had been 2 similar instances:

http://www.kiiitv.com/news/local/89486992.html

Similar? Near elementary school? F-150 white pickup truck?

Too bizarre.

This is weird. A mother reported that someone in an F-150 white pickup truck tried to snatch her child near the elementary school. She called 911, but police said she had never reported the crime.

However, police did say that there had been 2 similar instances:

http://www.kiiitv.com/news/local/89486992.html

Similar? Near elementary school? F-150 white pickup truck?

Too bizarre.

This happened in Texas. What do you think the connection is?

This happened in Texas. What do you think the connection is?

it looks like an example of an abduction or attempted abduction near a school and police in Corpus Christi say there were two similar events....the connection isn't necessarily to this case; but it is to this thread. JMO

it looks like an example of an abduction or attempted abduction near a school and police in Corpus Christi say there were two similar events....the connection isn't necessarily to this case; but it is to this thread. JMO
Thanks, Debs. Yes it is relevant to this thread.

And I sincerely hope it isn't relevant to Kyron's case, because if it is, that would mean a roving predator like the guy in the black pickup truck who moved around the country grabbing and raping women at night in WalMart parking lots. That was a nasty, nasty case. He was constantly on the move. There were warnings from multiple jurisdictions as he moved through their areas. The reason I remember it is because I believe I was targeted and stalked one night in a WalMart parking lot. I won't bore everyone with the story nor my evasive action. But when I got home, I was so certain that this was not isolated that I went online and researched--and found multiple cases across the country over a period of several months.

Sadly, predators often range freely. (shudder)

Portland channel 8 is tweeting about a kindergartener missing after getting off the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back