ACLU of Louisiana Files Lawsuit to Protect Free Speech Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nova said:
Unfortunately, such peanut-paying jobs replace better jobs without considering the qualifications of workers. Other economic factors dominate.
Yep, then there's a problem. But peanut paying jobs do have their place, at least when there is enough job supply. But then, trying to guarantee job supply or wages starts pointing to that place France has arrived at, where a worker's job and wages are so high that businesses can't work, and workers who have a job all too often don't care. It's a difficult situation, because we can't avoid a well qualified and determined worker being massively underpaid when there is an oversupply of jobs, nor a business having to overpay a lousy worker for a job at a time when workers are scarce. And both sides are in a continuing battle to get all they can.

Jeana (DP) said:
Is the fact that he may be a homosexual the thing that scares you? If so, you're starting to scare me. If he is a homosexual and chooses to be in the closet, that's his decision to make.
No, I am just wondering why he hates gays so much, it isn't normal the way he hates gays. Perhaps it is a cover for his own homosexuality. I have nothing against gays whatsoever. Who you love is who you love and thats that. Let gays marry, maybe they can be more successful than the straights at it.They are people just like me and you. I guess I worded that wrong. He scares me b/c , well go to his website, not b/c he could be gay. That was just a whole separate thought. I am not antigay at all. I hope this has cleared that one up.

Nova said:
I'm sure 2sisters just meant that Phelps "protests too much," so much so it's hard not to wonder what his real issues area.

But the problem with attributing all homophobia to closeted homosexual desires is that we end up blaming the victims (though in a round-about way). Nonetheless, it is true that some of the loudest homophobes have turned out to be gay themselves.
Thats what I meant, thanks. Sorry for the misundertsanding!

Speaking of gays and protest...this might be a little off subject, but can someone explain to me WHY people are so against gay marriage? I've talked to a few who say "Because God didnt' intend..yadda yadda yadda (of course, coming from people who don't even go to church!!) but what really is the problem that a law can't legally be passed??

None that I know of. There's lines in leviticus - but that's funny because the people who quote that probably violate a ton of those rules. There's crazy rules in there, about how you go to the bathroom, what foods can't be mixed, etc.

But I just don't get it either.

czechmate7 said:
Speaking of gays and protest...this might be a little off subject, but can someone explain to me WHY people are so against gay marriage? I've talked to a few who say "Because God didnt' intend..yadda yadda yadda (of course, coming from people who don't even go to church!!) but what really is the problem that a law can't legally be passed??
That's been discussed and debated ad nauseum on here, just do a search. (better than igniting another heated debate.)

Back on topic, I think it'd be hilarious if a group counter-protested Phelp with signs saying "We Want Fred" or "More Fred, Please!" LOL! (The *ssless chaps may be going a bit far!)

Phelps also clearly hates America with just as much passion, for some reason. He even claims "America" bombed his church when someone pipe bombed his house in 1995, among other comments he's made. He is truly sick in the head.

Dark Knight said:
That's been discussed and debated ad nauseum on here, just do a search. (better than igniting another heated debate.)

Back on topic, I think it'd be hilarious if a group counter-protested Phelp with signs saying "We Want Fred" or "More Fred, Please!" LOL! (The *ssless chaps may be going a bit far!)

Phelps also clearly hates America with just as much passion, for some reason. He even claims "America" bombed his church when someone pipe bombed his house in 1995, among other comments he's made. He is truly sick in the head.
Sorry I asked.... Dang, I'll just go sit back in my corner (wasn't looking for a debate..just a cliff note version)
BTW, the topic of the thread isn't about Phelps :croc:

czechmate7 said:
Sorry I asked.... Dang, I'll just go sit back in my corner (wasn't looking for a debate..just a cliff note version)
BTW, the topic of the thread isn't about Phelps :croc:
Oops, you're right, Phelps is another thread, sorry, lol! :blowkiss:

2sisters said:
No, I am just wondering why he hates gays so much, it isn't normal the way he hates gays. Perhaps it is a cover for his own homosexuality. I have nothing against gays whatsoever. Who you love is who you love and thats that. Let gays marry, maybe they can be more successful than the straights at it.They are people just like me and you. I guess I worded that wrong. He scares me b/c , well go to his website, not b/c he could be gay. That was just a whole separate thought. I am not antigay at all. I hope this has cleared that one up.

You could very well be right!!!!! Its crystal clear!! Thanks. :)

czechmate7 said:

I've heard some people say that it would open the floodgates to all sorts of things, including people wanting to marry their cats or their houseplants or their own children. Those are the kind of people that I'd rather not be in a debate with. They don't have the power of reasoning, so I don't waste my time. The fact of the matter is, and they should just start accepting it, gay couples are having children, attending PTA meetings, baking cupcakes for the school fundraisers, taking their children to soccer and baseball games, etc. These wonderfully diverse families already live in the same neighborhoods that most of us do. They're basically living the same lives as so-called "hetero" marriages. The only thing they're not doing is enjoying the same RIGHTS as those in hetero marriages. If anyone's marriage is going to fall apart because we allow gays to get married, I'd opine that the problems of that marriage go way deeper than this issue.

Can we attach a "sticky" to Jeana's post? We should all go back and read it now and then...

Jeana (DP) said:
I've heard some people say that it would open the floodgates to all sorts of things, including people wanting to marry their cats or their houseplants or their own children. Those are the kind of people that I'd rather not be in a debate with. They don't have the power of reasoning, so I don't waste my time. The fact of the matter is, and they should just start accepting it, gay couples are having children, attending PTA meetings, baking cupcakes for the school fundraisers, taking their children to soccer and baseball games, etc. These wonderfully diverse families already live in the same neighborhoods that most of us do. They're basically living the same lives as so-called "hetero" marriages. The only thing they're not doing is enjoying the same RIGHTS as those in hetero marriages. If anyone's marriage is going to fall apart because we allow gays to get married, I'd opine that the problems of that marriage go way deeper than this issue.
Thanks Jeana......glad we made it through that (just a sec while i go back and read a couple of post back) "heated debate!!!" That was a great post!!

Nova said:
Can we attach a "sticky" to Jeana's post? We should all go back and read it now and then...
I think I will switch to latte's....;)

Jeana (DP) said:
I like this argument: If the child is raised by 2 gay people then the child will be gay. My uncle is as straight as straight can be, married to 2 different beautiful , caring women (first wife died tragically, she drowned when an allergymedication she took had an adverse reaction when out in the heat) all 3 kids were raised in a loving caring home and both boys are gay. One is a cross dresser, well when he isn't in prison he is. Gay marrieage in no way is the same as marrying a housecat, or a cockatoo.

2sisters said:
I like this argument: If the child is raised by 2 gay people then the child will be gay.

I keep trying to tell that to our kids. But they both insist on being heterosexual. Their mother's fault, I suppose.
;)

Nova said:
I keep trying to tell that to our kids. But they both insist on being heterosexual. Their mother's fault, I suppose.
;)
Ha ha, be craeful who you say that to, you can be accused of brainwashing!:D

2sisters said:
I like this argument: If the child is raised by 2 gay people then the child will be gay. My uncle is as straight as straight can be, married to 2 different beautiful , caring women (first wife died tragically, she drowned when an allergymedication she took had an adverse reaction when out in the heat) all 3 kids were raised in a loving caring home and both boys are gay. One is a cross dresser, well when he isn't in prison he is. Gay marrieage in no way is the same as marrying a housecat, or a cockatoo.

Well I'm in a heterosexual marriage married to a MULE. (just at times of course) :D

Wouldn't it be funny if we started having gay marriage and their divorce rate was lower than heteros'? I always love it when ironic things like that happen.

Nova said:
;)
Oh no!!! What will you tell your friends???????:silenced: Their............straight!!:eek:

Jeana (DP) said:
This is one of the most common sense posts I've read in a long time and cuts staight to the heart of the issue in my humble opinion. (Pardon the lame pun in my post please.)

blaize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members