Actor Wesley Snipes Blames Racism For Tax Charges

Gee, my CPA says different, but what does he know?

And I'm not claiming that Mr. Snipes was treated differently because he is black. I'm just saying I don't know and neither do the posters here who rush to insist racism can't be a factor.

There are at least two posts above about how the "IRS is color-blind." I'd like to see the evidence of that. True color-blindness is pretty rare in our society.

(ETA: the facts that some white people also have tax problems and some black people do not are not proof that racism never enters into IRS decisions.)
the posters here are not the people who inserted race as a issue. once mr snipes claims racism is the cause of his problems we have the right to call B*** S***

the posters here are not the people who inserted race as a issue. once mr snipes claims racism is the cause of his problems we have the right to call B*** S***

As a rule, we expect people to have some sort of evidence, some basis for their claims. Why is racism different? Why are posters allowed to deny racism without knowing the facts?

In court, of course, it will be Mr. Snipes' burden to prove racism, not the IRS' burden to prove no racism exists. And that's as it should be.

But I'm talking about here at WS. Every time racism of any sort is mentioned in the press, there is an inevitable chorus of denial here.

Methinks some posters protest too much.

Last time I checked I didn't see a "race" box to check off on the IRS forms.

I am sick of the race card being tossed around for everything. It's like the little boy that cried wolf. One of these days....there will be a wolf...and no one is going to believe them.

OCALA, Fla. - Actor Wesley Snipes is a victim of “unscrupulous tax advice” and is being selectively targeted for prosecution on federal tax evasion charges because he is black.

The Oct. 17 indictment charges Snipes with fraudulently claiming refunds totaling nearly $12 million in 1996 and 1997 for income taxes already paid. The star of the “Blade” trilogy and other films also was charged with failure to file returns from 1999 through 2004.

Why didn't he file for over 5 years? Ask anyone that has ever had to deal with a miscrepancy in thier tax filings and they will tell you "be truthful and forthcoming". For the Tax man does start digging until it finds dirt, they dig until all the can dig to is rock.

Maybe he wasn't given good advice in claiming his income and taking advantage of tax loopholes like others, but he still had the responsibility to file with the IRS.

I am sick of the race card being tossed around for everything. It's like the little boy that cried wolf. One of these days....there will be a wolf...and no one is going to believe them.

For every example of the race card being "played" (and it annoys me sometimes, too), there are thousands of examples of racism that are never protested, never mentioned.

As for your Boy Who Cried Wolf example, it's too late. If nothing else, this thread shows people are already very quick to assume there is nothing to a claim of racism. (FWIW, I think this "racism" claim may well be a lame ploy on the part of Snipes' attorney. I'm just don't see how we can assume that with no evidence whatsoever.)

Now whether posters dismiss claims of racism because others have "cried wolf," or whether it's just easier to deny racism than to have to confront it... That's a matter of opinion.

As for your Boy Who Cried Wolf example, it's too late. If nothing else, this thread shows people are already very quick to assume there is nothing to a claim of racism. (FWIW, I think this "racism" claim may well be a lame ploy on the part of Snipes' attorney. I'm just don't see how we can assume that with no evidence whatsoever.)

What it shows me is that Mr. Snipes, like so many others, fall back on the race card. If anyone is quick to assume anything, it's those that use the race card.

Sorry, they are hurting themselves.

Maybe we should come up with different cards...I am sick of this one. lol

It's ALWAYS about color, isn't it.

Why didn't he file for over 5 years? Ask anyone that has ever had to deal with a miscrepancy in thier tax filings and they will tell you "be truthful and forthcoming". For the Tax man does start digging until it finds dirt, they dig until all the can dig to is rock.

Maybe he wasn't given good advice in claiming his income and taking advantage of tax loopholes like others, but he still had the responsibility to file with the IRS.

That's a good question...why didn't he file for over 5 years? He's just looking for a way out. Sometimes you just have to take responsibility for your own actions.

Why would he think he'd not have to file a tax return? LOL What an idiot.

I won't take sides in the race issue, but he's still a good lookin' fella. :twocents:

What it shows me is that Mr. Snipes, like so many others, fall back on the race card. If anyone is quick to assume anything, it's those that use the race card.

Sorry, they are hurting themselves.

Maybe we should come up with different cards...I am sick of this one. lol

It's ALWAYS about color, isn't it.

No, but sometimes it is. Is it in this case? I don't know.

I also don't know who the "so many others" are, but I assume you are referring to the occasional case that hits the media. Along with an occasional employee who thinks the "race card" is a good way to deal with management.

In my considerable experience in diverse environments, compared to the number of whites who are consciously and (more often) unconsciously racist, the number of blacks playing a so-called "race card" are few.

As for not filing, that was stupid, but Snipes wouldn't be the first millionaire actor who left such things to his accountants and didn't check very closely.

For every example of the race card being "played" (and it annoys me sometimes, too), there are thousands of examples of racism that are never protested, never mentioned.

Now whether posters dismiss claims of racism because others have "cried wolf," or whether it's just easier to deny racism than to have to confront it... That's a matter of opinion.

Nova, I can see what you're getting at... but, it happens in all threads about all subjects. It amazes me sometimes when people are quick to point a finger at a certain person, but few, if ever, come back and say, "I was wrong."

But, IMO, Wes IS using the race card. IRS does not see black/white/yellow, etc., they see green - dollar signs. If someone is not paying enough taxes, regardless of the color of their skin, they will go after that person. If Wes received bad advice, then those are the people HE should be going after. IRS really doesn't care what color your skin is, what tax bracket you're in... they just want the money they feel is their due.

--Absolutely--Snipes tried to pull a fast one and got caught--IRS will definitely see that he winds up in an orange jumpsuit and there is no parole in a Federal Prison--Snipes the future jailbird

To prove Mr. Snipes' point, he needs to find a successful white actor who avoided paying taxes for five years and did NOT get the same consequences Mr. Snipes did.

Anybody out there?

(FWIW, I think this "racism" claim may well be a lame ploy on the part of Snipes' attorney. I'm just don't see how we can assume that with no evidence whatsoever.)

We can assume that because there is no solid evidence of racism here. The assumption and evidence argument goes both ways.

Its called taking ownership and responsibility.. which seem to be missing in Mr Snipes. Obviously he has little to no integrity or he would have 1. paid the D*amn taxes he certainly has made a h*ll of a lot more than those making minimum wage and paying their fair share..2. Avoided but Owned up to it.. or 3. or come up with a far better more creative excuse then "its because I am black":boohoo: Too bad there isnt a charge they could tack on for being stupid.
Maybe I should try that every time I dont feel like doing something like my job.... "its because I am green, purple, orange etc.....":waitasec:

Additonally, if he had filed the 5 "missing " years then he would be able to produce his copy of these filings.. As for the 12 million in refunds..well that could be due to the incompetancy of the filer ( accountant or otherwise) however it is still Mr Snipes responsibilty since these are his taxes and his signature on the doc acknowledges this...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back