Found Deceased AK - Jaxson Brown, 5, hiking w/mom, Ketchikan, 26 Mar 2020

Agreed. ^^^

And even if a 5 year old who runs a 10 mile marathon as was previously posted; most likely it was with other people on a day with good weather.
Pretty certain it wasn't in falling snow and at night !

Jaxon was dragged on a hike at nearly dark out with snow falling and some already on the ground.
If it was , say, a bit past the mother's knees as she'd described; then it had to be almost waist high for Jaxon.
He must have been so cold and so terrified when she walked off and left him.
Poor baby boy.
Died all alone ... and not one soul there for comfort. :(
Jaxson was tall for his age. He was only 5 but almost the size of an 8/9 year old. He was a big boy. Healthy- very strong! He could out hike any of us. He didn’t have trouble with the hike, it was only the cold. JT had him dressed only with a thin hoody on.

there is- it’s been extremely difficult trying to adhere to his fathers wishes and be silent but Jaxson deserves justice.

My almost 4 years old grandson is named Jaxson, with the same spelling. It’s extremely difficult to understand any concept of this mother’s actions, leaving Jaxson behind. I truly hope you follow your inner self and heart and be Jaxsons voice. I support you.

there is- it’s been extremely difficult trying to adhere to his fathers wishes and be silent but Jaxson deserves justice.

Hello and welcome. I’m Alaska-adjacent (mom from Ketchikan, dad lived in Fairbanks) so I’m glad to see you here. As said upthread, I hope the voices that need to be heard to figure out what happened will keep speaking for him. Silence is no good if it prevents a victim from getting justice.

You and your 5 year old. You're cold, lost, with no food or water, have already spent one night exposed in the wilderness - but you continue walking your little kid AWAY from help and safety to finish the hike?!! omg This story is not credible on any level.

You and your 5 year old. You're cold, lost, with no food or water, have already spent one night exposed in the wilderness - but you continue walking your little kid AWAY from help and safety to finish the hike?!! omg This story is not credible on any level.
That's just scratching the surface, the rest I can't state here.
But no, not credible at all.

Search underway in Ketchikan area for boy missing since Wednesday - KRBD

The mother didn’t have the boy with her when she was found about three miles up the trail, Kiffer said.

She reportedly indicated that the pair had started their hike about three hours before dark on Wednesday.

“She indicated that they had gotten up into deep snow about knee-deep snow, turned around, came back,” Kiffer said.

State troopers say the pair were disoriented and lost the trail. They spent Wednesday night together before the mother sought help Thursday morning, according to a Saturday morning dispatch.

The mother reportedly placed the boy in a dry spot underneath a tree before leaving, Kiffer said.

“Her intention was to go down and get help. He was too big for her to carry,” he said.
JT (the mother) is over 6ft tall and could have very easily carried Jaxson.

My grandson weighs 70 pounds and I am 57 years old. I am not quite 5’3”, 120 lbs. I don’t work out. I’m not muscular at all. But I still give him a piggyback rides because it’s fun. We’ve done this since he was a baby. He was over at my house for a few hours yesterday and when he climbed up on something I went over there and turned my back and he hopped right on. I didn’t carry him far but it’s just something we do that makes him giggle. If I had to carry that boy down a mountain I would find a way to do it or die trying.

Having said that unless he was injured in someway I can’t imagine even having to carry him down the mountain because he could walk with me. We could take breaks when he was tired.

I would never walk away when he was tired saying, “OK bye-bye I’m leaving without you.”, like I’ve seen many cruel parents do when their little ones are sick, exhausted, thirsty, hungry, crying , too hot or too cold or just in need of a hug and a break.

I’m not saying that’s what happened in this case because we don’t know. We don’t know what the intentions were when she started up the mountain, with a 5 year old, too late to return from the hike before dark.

Did she take a flashlight? Were they appropriately dressed for the drop in temperature that comes with darkness? Did she tell anyone that they were going to go on a hike before she left? Did she have a cell phone and were there spots on the trail that she could have had cellular service?

I hope this turns out to be something that happened because of extenuating circumstances and not deliberate. If a person had medical issues or was not thinking straight because of a temporary mental problem like severe depression or a catastrophic situation, itcould be true that she was just disoriented and not able to make good decisions.
She most definitely could have carried him. Jaxsons mother is over 6ft tall.

From the language in the reports I've read I get the impression that he didn't WANT to walk back out and they were both expecting she would return fairly soon with help, probably a park ranger with an ATV.
There is no way an ATV could access their location. The trails here are steep and rugged. Rocky, root bound, water runoff. Impossible for any motorized vehicle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back