Found Deceased AK - Kathleen Henry, 30, video of murder victim found, Anchorage, 9 Oct 2019 *Arrest*

SBM
I was able too read a little more and i think you're right...
Here's what it says: "SY EERSTE gedagte toe hy die skoknuus hoor, was iemand het êrens ’n baie groot fout gemaak. Want hoe kan dit wees dat sy familielid – wat hy so goed ken – verdink word van ’n grusame moord(...).

Google translation: "
HIS first thought when he heard the shock news was someone made a very big mistake somewhere. Because how can it be that his family member - whom he knows so well - is suspected of a gruesome murder (...)"

From the google photos search for that article, i think BSS traveled to SA in 2016.

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

https://cdn2-img.pressreader.com/pressdisplay/docserver/getimage.aspx?regionKey=qE6ZxwGHlnXPynjpPc7+nA==

Edit: The photo is with his two sisters and not with SB as i previously said...

Full article available here: Alaska-moorde: Nagmerrie ‘nimmereindigend’, vertel familielid

It doesn't allow me to copy and paste... i'm still trying to figure out how to translate it.

I made it! It says nothing new... But there is a sentence that caught my attention.
" VIDEOSPELETJIES
Nadat Brian en sy destydse meisie Natal toe getrek het, het hy in die gasvry- heidsbedryf begin werk. In dié tyd het hy aanlyn videospeletjies begin speel en Stephanie daardeur ontmoet.
Toe hy in 2014 emigreer, was dit sy eerste oorsese reis. Hy en Stephanie is in dieselfde jaar in ’n Christelike plegtigheid in Anchorage getroud. Dit is albei se eerste huwelik en nie een van hulle het kinders nie."

Google translation:
" VIDEO GAMES
After Brian and his then girlfriend moved to Natal, he started working in the hospitality industry. During this time he started playing online video games and met Stephanie through it.
When he emigrated in 2014, it was his first overseas trip. He and Stephanie were married in the same year at a Christian ceremony in Anchorage. This is their first marriage and neither of them have children."

A "then girlfriend" and yet his heart was open to find someone new... Love or convenience?
JMO

Thanks to PatLaurel for finding this latest news article and translating some of it. It's a long article. He has sisters. I'm still hoping that former girlfriend he was living with will come forward with info. What else does it say if anyone can translate further or speaks the language?

Alaska-moorde: Nagmerrie ‘nimmereindigend’, vertel familielid

Thank you so much for sharing. I cry for your people...in my heart....I'm a total white female with roots from Spain, gypsies and the Vikings...so all mixed up...looking white. Soon I will be doing a DNA test to find out, what I'm really "made of". I will wait for a discount. hahaha
Be a doll and pass on that discount promo code when you find one. Will ya?

Oil & gas is another industry to watch as far potential perpetrators.

“Oil and gas operations, man camps, pipeline installation, fracking sites, all of these things — our women go missing around these sites,” says Gray. “And no one seems to care, but we do. Those are our sisters and our mothers and our grandmothers. We want their names out there.”

Why Indigenous Activists Are Hanging Dresses Along the 16th Street Mall

New Report Finds Increase of Violence Coincides with Oil Boom

Reclaiming power and place : final report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls.: CP32-163/2-1-2019E-PDF ; CP32-163/2-2-2019E-PDF - Government of Canada Publications - Canada.ca

This industry tends to hire misogynistic men (think Chris Watts, for example) and bring them in from other states and overlook criminal records (so a lot like trucking there) because locals and folks with clean records and other employment options don't want any part of trashing the environment where they and their families live.
Interesting.

Thanks imstilla for the informative refresher video in Post #369. The map shows how far the memory card was found from the mid-town Marriott. It does seem as though the break in was how the memory card got left on the street.

I think there's still lots to learn about sneaky BSS. So much depends on people coming forward if they know something. You'd think a co-worker or maybe his wife might've noticed something. Please someone knows something! I caught a little tidbit I missed before, at the 0:27 mark, the lady who found the card recognized the carpet of the hotel. Wow, is it a distinctive carpet? She's one observant woman and really a hero in catching a murderer.

Thanks to PatLaurel for finding this latest news article and translating some of it. It's a long article. He has sisters. I'm still hoping that former girlfriend he was living with will come forward with info. What else does it say if anyone can translate further or speaks the language?

Thanks @Curious Me.
The article is exactly as you predicted... "BSS would never do this or that" kind of interview, by a family member, who asked to remain anonymous and used the pseudonym William Barnes.

"Sy eerste gedagte toe hy die skoknuus hoor, was iemand het êrens ’n baie groot fout gemaak. Want hoe kan dit wees dat sy familielid – wat hy so goed ken – verdink word van ’n grusame moord anderkant die waters; ’n moord so bisar en skokkend dat dit wêreldwyd opslae maak . . .

Die Brian Steven Smith wat hý ken, is ’n man “wat nooit sy hand vir enigeen sou lig nie”, vertel William Barnes (’n skuilnaam).

Net twee dae voor die 48-jarige Suid-Afrikaner se inhegtenisneming in Anchorage, Alaska, waar hy die afgelope vyf jaar woon, het William nog telefonies met hom gesels.

Brian en sy Amerikaanse vrou, Stephanie Bissland (68), was toe met vakansie in Virginië.

“Daar was niks vreemds aan hom nie,” vertel William, wat ingestem het om namens Brian se familie eksklusief met Huisgenoot te praat. Uit vrees vir viktimisering wil hy egter anoniem bly.

“Brian was opgewonde om terug te gaan huis toe omdat hy daardie week met ’n nuwe werk by ’n hotelgroep sou begin. Sy droom was om eendag sy eie gastehuis oop te maak.”

Google translation:

"His first thought when he heard the shock news was someone made a very big mistake somewhere. For how can it be that his family member - whom he knows so well - is suspected of a gruesome murder beyond the waters; A murder so bizarre and shocking that it spreads worldwide. . .

The Brian Steven Smith he knows is a man "who would never raise his hand to anyone," says William Barnes (a pseudonym).

Just two days before the 48-year-old South African's arrest in Anchorage, Alaska, where he has been living for the past five years, William was still talking to him by phone.

Brian and his American wife, Stephanie Bissland, 68, were vacationing in Virginia at the time.

"There was nothing strange about him," says William, who agreed to speak exclusively to Huisgenoot on behalf of Brian's family. However, for fear of victimization, he wants to remain anonymous.

“Brian was excited to go back home because he would start a new job at a hotel group that week. His dream was to one day open his own guesthouse. "

BBM and JMO

Be a doll and pass on that discount promo code when you find one. Will ya?

I will. hahahahaha be a doll....we use a word like that; "popje". In a certain context it's used denigrating and it means "little brainless woman" or the like, but also just doll or a pet name...meaning "sweetie" or the like. On ancestry the have sometimes a sale....If I come across it I will notify you.

Thanks @Curious Me.
The article is exactly as you predicted... "BSS would never do this or that" kind of interview, by a family member, who asked to remain anonymous and used the pseudonym William Barnes.

"Sy eerste gedagte toe hy die skoknuus hoor, was iemand het êrens ’n baie groot fout gemaak. Want hoe kan dit wees dat sy familielid – wat hy so goed ken – verdink word van ’n grusame moord anderkant die waters; ’n moord so bisar en skokkend dat dit wêreldwyd opslae maak . . .

Die Brian Steven Smith wat hý ken, is ’n man “wat nooit sy hand vir enigeen sou lig nie”, vertel William Barnes (’n skuilnaam).

Net twee dae voor die 48-jarige Suid-Afrikaner se inhegtenisneming in Anchorage, Alaska, waar hy die afgelope vyf jaar woon, het William nog telefonies met hom gesels.

Brian en sy Amerikaanse vrou, Stephanie Bissland (68), was toe met vakansie in Virginië.

“Daar was niks vreemds aan hom nie,” vertel William, wat ingestem het om namens Brian se familie eksklusief met Huisgenoot te praat. Uit vrees vir viktimisering wil hy egter anoniem bly.

“Brian was opgewonde om terug te gaan huis toe omdat hy daardie week met ’n nuwe werk by ’n hotelgroep sou begin. Sy droom was om eendag sy eie gastehuis oop te maak.”

Google translation:

"His first thought when he heard the shock news was someone made a very big mistake somewhere. For how can it be that his family member - whom he knows so well - is suspected of a gruesome murder beyond the waters; A murder so bizarre and shocking that it spreads worldwide. . .

The Brian Steven Smith he knows is a man "who would never raise his hand to anyone," says William Barnes (a pseudonym).

Just two days before the 48-year-old South African's arrest in Anchorage, Alaska, where he has been living for the past five years, William was still talking to him by phone.

Brian and his American wife, Stephanie Bissland, 68, were vacationing in Virginia at the time.

"There was nothing strange about him," says William, who agreed to speak exclusively to Huisgenoot on behalf of Brian's family. However, for fear of victimization, he wants to remain anonymous.

“Brian was excited to go back home because he would start a new job at a hotel group that week. His dream was to one day open his own guesthouse. "

BBM and JMO
"Excited to go back home because he would start a new job at a hotel group..."
Nice cover for a killer because of DNA, but you would think being on video would not...but maybe the video is only checked if there's a problem.
I guess he was EXCITED about his plans. Well, thank God his plans came to a screeching holt!
It seems that even family did not recognize that something is off with bss... or are they missing signs?

Oh yes, please talk former girlfriend. Sometimes, I start to wonder if they got the wrong man after hearing his family and friends rave about his mild, never-raise-a-fist character, but it's no mistake that these brutal murders involved BSS. LE including the FBI know "the other Brian".

Brian Smith pleads not guilty in torture, murder case

"Henry's body, bedding and Smith's truck bed are listed as the evidence those charges refer to."

and let's not forget...

"Detectives recognized Smith as the man in the video by his "English-sounding" accent. He was already part of another ongoing investigation, according to APD. Police have declined to elaborate on the nature of that investigation or say whether it involved violent crime."

Brian Smith now indicted in the murders of 2 Alaska Native women

"Smith is indicted on five additional felony charges related to Abouchuk’s death: one count of first-degree murder, two counts of second-degree murder, and two counts of tampering with physical evidence."

"He’s also indicted on a misdemeanor charge of misconduct involving a corpse.
The document alleges:

“…sometime between 2017-2018, at or near Anchorage, BRIAN STEVEN SMITH engaged in sexual penetration of a corpse.”

I'd like to know where did he meet up with Kathleen, and a year earlier with Veronica?

What has LE found so far in their investigation? Tell us!

BBM

I keep chomping back and forth on the SDS card found. JMO, but these are a few things I've thought or wondered:

The first thing that came to mind (before it was announced he was married) that he's married, his wife found the SDS card and not being able to take the step to turn him in herself she dropped in an area that she knew it would be "found."

Another theory of mine is because he works with various electronics, has other SDS cards, etc. he made sure to label it as he did so that he wouldn't inadvertently mix it up with another SDS card that he would maybe need to give to a side client, for home use, etc. If in fact his vehicle was broken into may explain why it was labeled. Do we know if there's any police record/statement verifying their vehicle had been broken into?

Also if there are several more victims, or perhaps the first and 'only' two, he labeled each card as to identify each torture and murder by label. I'm curious though if he did video any others. Did he perhaps not videotape his first (or more?) and then realized afterward he wished he had so he could rewatch it whenever he liked. And Kathleen was his first taped murder.

This one is way, way off but maybe the room was already being watched and whoever had the peep hole video tape dropped it to be found that way not implicating themselves as a peeping tom on the hotel guests.

I am also curious about the drone. My gut says he used it to find areas to dump the bodies, and possibly to check on them afterward, a way to 'babysit' the areas/bodies, to see if they were still there. I don't believe his reason of wanting to sell it, however.

Or in a strange turn of events, he wanted himself to be caught because he knew he wouldn't or couldn't stop. And rather than turn himself in he threw it there as a 'toss of the coin' on when or if it would be found. If it was found and turned in, authorities would begin looking for the perp. Perhaps it would then become/became a game to him, how long would it take and/or how many victims to be found before they figured it out it was him.

Of course these are just some of my thoughts, and nothing factual. Just things that keep popping into my head and I'm sure I'm way off haha :)

Maybe one of two things, of course JMHO....I kind of look at him as a blowhard, full of himself based on his 'stories' on Quora. Someone that has an answer for everything, and possibly wanting to come across as knowledgeable and intelligent. So maybe he really didn't ever need to hire an attorney, just so he had an 'answer' or "all knowing advice because he had been through something" he makes up a story, ego stroking, and just to have an answer to the OP, again ego stroking?

Or, perhaps, and I don't know the statute, case law, rules in SA for like traffic citations, but something that may not even show up as criminal like a simple citation where he believed himself to be not guilty of i.e. speeding, parking, etc. but because this other person had an attorney to fight whatever it was the other person/party he knows of were found innocent?

Interesting that the media says he has no criminal background in SA. In one of his quora answers to someone asking about representing himself in a SA criminal case, BS answers:

"Get a laywer. I tried defending myself in a case that I was innocent of and I was found guilty because the other guy had an attorney. This is not something that you learn from Googling it."

June 5, 2019

...snipped...Google translation:

BBM and JMO
Snipped by me to reply... Thanks for the translation of the article. It sounds like people who were close to BSS are sincerely surprised by his crimes. "Nothing strange about him"...really...are you sure? MOO, his personality on Quora seemed to me like a blustering know-it-all who had aggressive views dividing races often.

I honestly feel sorry for all the relatives and friends having to accept that BSS has been charged with such horrible crimes. It seems as though he should have shown signs of being able to laugh while beating a woman to death or that he was a misogynist.

12 Ways to Spot a Misogynist

I'm waiting for someone in his life to say he was one strange dude!

...snipped... Of course these are just some of my thoughts, and nothing factual. Just things that keep popping into my head and I'm sure I'm way off haha :)

Snipped by me to reply...
Welcome IamMedusaGorgon.
You've been thinking about this case a lot and have some interesting questions. I had the same idea that maybe his wife found the memory card and "lost" it on the street not going to the police out of fear. I just don't think it was her. I keep combing the news articles because that's all the facts we have so far.

This article mentions his Quora quotes and one quote seems very racist to me.
Brian Steven Smith: What we know about the SA-born Alaskan killer

The video from Sept 4 - Sept 6 shows what was going on in that hotel room with his victim Kathleen Henry.

Warning -- Graphic details
On 30 September 2019, someone discovered a SD card with horrific video and images of Henry’s murder. According to the police, Smith brutally beat up and strangled his victim in a hotel room.

The SD card, which was found on the ground near a store, was labelled: “Homicide at midtown Marriott.” The Anchorage Daily News revealed that the memory card contained 39 images and 12 videos.

The footage was taken from 4 to 6 September 2019 in a hotel room. According to the newspaper, a
a video showed a man yelling at Henry, telling her to die, and laughing.

Explicit footage also allegedly showed the man stomping on the victim’s neck and choking her to death.

SBM/BBM

Me too, trying to keep the facts straight and get a rough timeline in place.

As far as I know, BSS goes back to court on December 2nd.

Such a unique case. Trying to put it all together in my mind. I'm sure the authorities know much more.
✓He is a less common immigrant w/British accent.
✓Had unusual comments on quora.
✓Older guy, but he was never married before/no kids.
✓His equipment got stolen. (I imagine the thief pulled out the card so there would be less evidence of a THEFT).
✓Someone found the card.
✓Two women found deceased so far. If not for card and confession, though, who knows?!
✓This case brings about aware of what's going on with the indigenous women in Alaska. I'm on the other side of US. Clueless.
✓He liked to go out in the wild. That doesn't sound good.
Though he dumped the two known bodies not far away, it certainly seems like he's contemplating (if not already) becoming a serial killer.
✓Of course his employment in the hotel industry. I think dna would be much harder to trace there.
Incomplete list. Crazee, sad case. Thank God he's caught.
Me, I imagine he did other crimes (or war crimes, etc.) which they have no evidence of.

I so appreciate all of you and your help to remember what happened when, etc.,

I'm having trouble putting the pieces together.
Would anyone be able to do a timeline?
1a) When the first woman (Veronica) went missing and
1b) When they found her body.
2a) When they think Kathleen was killed
2b) When his car got broken into
2c) What day the SD card was found
2d) The vacation dates
2e) When he came home from vacation
3a) What town did he work in?
3b) How far was the murder site from his workplace and home.

Here's a rough TIMELINE that helps.

1a) July 2018 but only reported Feb 2019
1b) skull with bullet July 2019 with identification only recently Oct 11th?
2a) Sept 4th but disposed of Sept 6th. Found Oct 2nd, identified around the 5th or something.
2b) Sept 17th approximately.
2c) Sept 30th
2d) Sept 30th to Oct 8 when he got arrested at the airport while he was returning home. She stayed behind longer in Virginia because he was going back to start a new job.
3a) Where he murdered Kathleen at the Marriott apparently but it’s just the wife saying he worked there so who knows maybe that’s another lie.
3b) same workplace as murder but he lives further away in a quiet suburb (not sure exact place)

I must be bored posting so much...waiting for it to rain today. :) Just wanted to add that the carpets in those rooms at Towne Place Suites Anchorage Midtown are distinctive enough to remember with a gray and black checker type pattern.

Last edited:
Snipped by me to reply...
Welcome IamMedusaGorgon.
You've been thinking about this case a lot and have some interesting questions.
Snipped for quick reply, just a quick thank you first Curious Me for the welcome! :) You've given me some things to look through, thank you! I'll be back once Im through reading:) Yes, this case has me following like a hawk. I can only imagine where they're at now in their investigation. So little it seems is coming out, understandable of course. Dec seems way too long from now before his first hearing haha

2a) Sept 4th but disposed of Sept 6th. Found Oct 2nd, identified around the 5th or something.
2c) Sept 30th
2d) Sept 30th to Oct 8 when he got arrested at the airport while he was returning home. She stayed behind longer in Virginia because he was going back to start a new job.
3a) Where he murdered Kathleen at the Marriott apparently but it’s just the wife saying he worked there so who knows maybe that’s another lie.
3b) same workplace as murder but he lives further away in a quiet suburb (not sure exact place)
Thx so much for the timeline!

I needed to put the questions and answers together visually. Aydrianna523 asked the questions and Merzerie found the answers.
Thank You both.

------ TIMELINE SO FAR -----
1a) When the first woman (Veronica) went missing and

1b) When they found her body.

2a) When they think Kathleen was killed

2b) When his car got broken into

2c) What day the SD card was found
2c) Sept 30th

2d) The vacation dates and
2e) When he came home from vacation

3a) What town did he work in?

3b) How far was the murder site from his workplace and home.

This is an interesting article and may help with dates and locations-

Brian Steven Smith: What we know about the SA-born Alaskan killer

Although in one sentence it states ‘On 2 October 2019, Veronica Abouchuk’s body was found’ then in another it says ‘state troopers recovered her skull with a gunshot wound in April 2019.’ So it’s not all that accurate.

P.S. Mark Sievers goes on trial in Florida tomorrow! You can watch it Live.
Mark Sievers Livestream Trial Thread - Day 1

As I was reading through all the Quora stuff, I also noticed how he had an answer for everything. I've often thought that he was also actually the one "pretending" to ask the questions too. I think he made up a lot of the questions himself. Then he would answer the questions, sounding like a real "Mr.-know-it-all". It just seems to me there were an awful lot of questions to begin with. JMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back