Found Deceased AK - Kathleen Henry, 30, video of murder victim found, Anchorage, 9 Oct 2019 *Arrest*

I found this page because I was trying to find out if the investigators have BSS as a suspect in the murder of Shirley Skeek. She was last seen getting into a black truck ( he had one) at Bean’s Cafe and body found on Seward Highway- same as other 2 publicly announced victims. Homicide latest in string of tragedies for Juneau family | Juneau Empire
why haven’t they listed him as a suspect for Shirley Skeek?!

I recall this womans case! I remember reading it in connection with BSS somewhere but don't have any links or references.

Here's a link to another WS thread about her sister but Shirley is mentioned in the last post. Very sad. Also leaves a lot of unanswered questions for the family. What happened to their daughters?

Still Missing - AK - Linda Skeek, 32, Anchorage, 1 Jan 2016 *husband NOT GUILTY*

Just so you know, I had Covid at this time one year ago, and I still have moments of brain fog, and doubt my memory. However, I remember that article and the connection made. I don't doubt for one minute, it was him. LE would have to be pretty stupid to not put those puzzle pieces together. I know Covid has slowed the process down some, but I pray Shirley's family is going to pester LE for further investigation. Shirley Skeek's sister hopefully is pressing to get him named as a suspect. It is possible he had dark web cohorts. We're talking about women's lives being taken for what could be their criminal amusement and profit. Disgusting and it must be investigated and stopped.

RSBM

I remember reading about this too but don't remember where?! I also have no understanding of the "dark web" but fully believe Brian would be on there if he knew how. Wonder what was collected and searched? I don't even want to imagine what his search history was like.

01/03/2022 02:30 PM Courtroom 603, Nesbett Courthouse Discovery Hearing Continued: Defense Request
03/07/2022 02:30 PM Courtroom 603, Nesbett Courthouse Discovery Hearing

(I'm still curious about BB C. She was clearly not a victim of the SK Moses Sithole but she used to hang around with You-Know-Who.)

MOO JMO

01/03/2022 02:30 PM Courtroom 603, Nesbett Courthouse Discovery Hearing Continued: Defense Request
03/07/2022 02:30 PM Courtroom 603, Nesbett Courthouse Discovery Hearing

(I'm still curious about BB C. She was clearly not a victim of the SK Moses Sithole but she used to hang around with You-Know-Who.)

MOO JMO
I'm looking for updates of any kind, but can't seem to find anything yet. I want to know that Discovery hearing happened.

In the meantime-- With 142 comments to this article, you'd think media would be following this case more. This 2019 past article describes the finding of the memory card. It is still such a strange occurrence the way he got caught. I hope we, at least, find out how that memory card ended up on the street.

Brian Steven Smith charged with Anchorage murder after video of killing found on ground - The Washington Post October 10, 2019

The woman had no idea what was on the memory card she was about to access. She recently found it on the ground near her neighborhood grocery store in Anchorage and was curious about its contents — especially when she noticed its unusual label: “Homicide.”

Then, she opened it.

The horrifying photos and videos she found inside were “instrumental” in the arrest of Brian Steven Smith, 48, Anchorage police said Wednesday. Smith is accused of strangling and beating an unidentified woman in a hotel room early last month and leaving her body near a stretch of highway south of the city, according to a news release.

Warning those new to the case--
Graphic details if you read further.

I'm looking for updates of any kind, but can't seem to find anything yet. I want to know that Discovery hearing happened.

In the meantime-- With 142 comments to this article, you'd think media would be following this case more. This 2019 past article describes the finding of the memory card. It is still such a strange occurrence the way he got caught. I hope we, at least, find out how that memory card ended up on the street.

Brian Steven Smith charged with Anchorage murder after video of killing found on ground - The Washington Post October 10, 2019

The woman had no idea what was on the memory card she was about to access. She recently found it on the ground near her neighborhood grocery store in Anchorage and was curious about its contents — especially when she noticed its unusual label: “Homicide.”

Then, she opened it.

The horrifying photos and videos she found inside were “instrumental” in the arrest of Brian Steven Smith, 48, Anchorage police said Wednesday. Smith is accused of strangling and beating an unidentified woman in a hotel room early last month and leaving her body near a stretch of highway south of the city, according to a news release.

Warning those new to the case--
Graphic details if you read further.

I too am curious about how the memory card got to be on the ground near a grocery store. Previously we'd speculated that the card ended up there after BSS truck had been "broken into", that possibly someone dropped it while carrying items stolen from BSS truck.

What is the proximity between where the card was found and BSS workplace, location of murder/body or where BSS truck was supposedly broken into?

Thankfully the police recognized Brians voice and that the woman decided to take the card and call it in! JMO if that card hadn't been found and LE hadn't looked further, BSS would still be out there hunting women.

...What is the proximity between where the card was found and BSS workplace, location of murder/body or where BSS truck was supposedly broken into?...
Memory Card Found With Brutal Videos and Photos Leads to Murder Arrest

The card, which the police say a woman discovered in the Fairview neighborhood and turned over to them on Sept. 30, contained videos and pictures of a man beating and strangling a woman in a midtown hotel room, the authorities said.

Two days later, on Oct. 2, a caller informed the police that human remains had been found outside the city, on Seward Highway near Rainbow Valley Road — about 18 miles from the hotel that was the setting in the videos and pictures found.
---
The police believe that the woman seen in the photos and videos on the memory card is the same woman whose remains were found Oct. 2. On Thursday, the police identified the victim as 30-year-old Kathleen J. Henry.

As police detectives reviewed images on the memory card, they recognized the man seen in them from a previous investigation, Mr. Thim said. The police would not comment on the prior investigation.
---
The police checked with the hotel, TownePlace Suites by Marriott Anchorage Midtown, and learned that the man had been registered to a room there from Sept. 2 to Sept. 4. The carpet seen in the hotel room where the murder took place matches the hotel that the police visited.
---
The memory card, according to the police, contained 39 images and 12 videos, all of graphic nature, which begin on Sept. 4 at 12:59 a.m.

<ADMIN NOTE: TRIGGER ALERT .. GRAPHIC DETAILS FOLLOW>

In the images and videos, a woman is seen being strangled by a man who “had some sort of an English sounding accent when he spoke,” according to the charging document. In one video, the woman is seen fighting back against her attacker, “attempting to scratch at the man’s wrist with her right hand to get him to stop,” as he pressed into her neck with his right hand.

In another video, according to the document, the man said that his hand was “getting tired” before stomping on the woman’s neck with his right foot, cursing and saying that she needed to die. In other videos, the woman is seen struggling to breathe as he “strangled her more and laughed about it.” One video shows the man, at one point, using a wire or cord on the woman.
---
One image taken on Sept. 4 shows the woman on a rolling hotel luggage cart near a black pickup truck, the authorities said. In at least seven images, prosecutors said, the woman is seen “lying face down on what appeared to be a black bed of a truck.” The last date for the images on the card was Sept. 6 at 1:12 a.m.

Memory Card Found With Brutal Videos and Photos Leads to Murder Arrest
Al Ka the poster above ^^^ was smart to always copy and paste some of the article because so many times the articles are no longer attached to the links. Also the article is behind a paywall for me. Taking some of the article, I want to see if I can answer the question how far away from the crime scene was the memory card found? I remember taking an online tour of the inside of those hotel rooms and it had a very distinctive (geometric) carpet. About 4 miles from the crime scene, the memory card was found on the street. Seems unlikely, but it's even possible BSS went to a store and dropped it himself. Can't remember much about the truck break in. Can you refresh my memory on that? Near his work, wasn't it? He reported it? Sometimes I wish for divine intervention in cases and this seems like that-- the memory card being found and the woman taking it to LE. Bless her. Probably saved some other woman's life.

upload_2022-3-11_23-5-17.png

Here's All the grocery stores around there.
upload_2022-3-11_23-14-33.png

What I used to map it out:
Memory Card Found With Brutal Videos and Photos Leads to Murder Arrest - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
"The card, which the police say a woman discovered in
the Fairview neighborhood and turned over to them on Sept. 30, contained videos and pictures of a man beating and strangling a woman in a midtown hotel room, the authorities said."

and this

"The police checked with the hotel, TownePlace Suites by Marriott Anchorage Midtown, and learned that the man had been registered to a room there from Sept. 2 to Sept. 4. The carpet seen in the hotel room where the murder took place matches the hotel that the police visited." (Underlined and BBM)

Al Ka the poster above ^^^ was smart to always copy and paste some of the article because so many times the articles are no longer attached to the links. Also the article is behind a paywall for me. Taking some of the article, I want to see if I can answer the question how far away from the crime scene was the memory card found? I remember taking an online tour of the inside of those hotel rooms and it had a very distinctive (geometric) carpet. About 4 miles from the crime scene, the memory card was found on the street. Seems unlikely, but it's even possible BSS went to a store and dropped it himself. Can't remember much about the truck break in. Can you refresh my memory on that? Near his work, wasn't it? He reported it? Sometimes I wish for divine intervention in cases and this seems like that-- the memory card being found and the woman taking it to LE. Bless her. Probably saved some other woman's life.

View attachment 336207

Here's All the grocery stores around there.
View attachment 336208

What I used to map it out:
Memory Card Found With Brutal Videos and Photos Leads to Murder Arrest - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
"The card, which the police say a woman discovered in
the Fairview neighborhood and turned over to them on Sept. 30, contained videos and pictures of a man beating and strangling a woman in a midtown hotel room, the authorities said."

and this

"The police checked with the hotel, TownePlace Suites by Marriott Anchorage Midtown, and learned that the man had been registered to a room there from Sept. 2 to Sept. 4. The carpet seen in the hotel room where the murder took place matches the hotel that the police visited." (Underlined and BBM)

Interesting! Had no idea how close the card was to the murder scene. In one way it makes sense it was found nearby but on the other hand, it's kind of strange. Assuming BSS drove, it's hard to imagine how the card got to be on the sidewalk 4 blocks from the murder. Curious.

Then again, this guy seems like the type who would flush something or toss something out the window and fail... He wrote "HOMICIDE" on the card FFS :rolleyes:

Isn't this the same hotel where Brian worked? How did he manage to avoid any staff seeing him? Crazy.

ETA: just look at the number of risky things I listed! Was Brian a buffoon who got caught red handed or was he a risk taker who was getting overly confident and careless?

Last edited:
Interesting! Had no idea how close the card was to the murder scene. In one way it makes sense it was found nearby but on the other hand, it's kind of strange. Assuming BSS drove, it's hard to imagine how the card got to be on the sidewalk 4 blocks from the murder. Curious.

Then again, this guy seems like the type who would flush something or toss something out the window and fail... He wrote "HOMICIDE" on the card FFS :rolleyes:

Isn't this the same hotel where Brian worked? How did he manage to avoid any staff seeing him? Crazy.

ETA: just look at the number of risky things I listed! Was Brian a buffoon who got caught red handed or was he a risk taker who was getting overly confident and careless?

the latter for sure IMO. Pretty sure he wheeled her body out of the hotel on a cart. Brazen and risky. Not buffoonish. All part of the sense of power and control. The memory card was a dumb mistake but it was pure luck someone found it, it could’ve easily been stepped on or swept away and never found.
MOO

Any updates. The road to justice sure is slow in Alaska. The case below in Michigan moved much faster. Happened Feb. 2021, and he's already been convicted.

Andrew Lafey Convicted of Murdering Gracyn-Michael Kay-Candace Brickley (lawandcrime.com)

Michigan man who shot 18-year-old and filmed himself kicking her to death faces life (nypost.com)

Read about this other case out of Michigan, reminding me of this case. The young man filmed himself torturing this poor young girl. Same as with sicko Brian, :eek: he taunted her while killing her, and he filmed it using his phone. What is it with these sick men filming their despicable acts? Instead of shame, he must've felt pride because he showed it to others, :eek: even his own father.

MSN reported, "After Brickley’s death, Lafey showed the snuff film to some friends and his father, who then turned him in to police."

A Barry County man convicted of murder, torture, and possession of a firearm was sentenced Thursday morning to life in prison without parole.

Andrew Lafey's convictions stem from the torture and murder of 18-year-old Gracyn-Michael Brickley.
"Lafey recorded himself stomping on and taunting Brickley, according to the Barry County Prosecutor."

What's wrong with these guys??? Recording themselves torturing other people... is it some kind of trophy? SMH!
Would like to know how LE caught him though... was it another case of a lost SD card?
MOO JMO

"Lafey recorded himself stomping on and taunting Brickley, according to the Barry County Prosecutor."

What's wrong with these guys??? Recording themselves torturing other people... is it some kind of trophy? SMH!
Would like to know how LE caught him though... was it another case of a lost SD card?
MOO JMO
Found the answer to my question: Killer who shot girl, 18, and filmed himself kicking her to death found guilty

"Lafey then buried her body under a pile snow in the backyard of a home, NBC News 10 reported.

The 22-year-old then went inside the home and showed the video to his friends and his father. The next morning his father reported him to local police and he was arrested."

Any updates. The road to justice sure is slow in Alaska. The case below in Michigan moved much faster. Happened Feb. 2021, and he's already been convicted.... Andrew Lafey Convicted of Murdering Gracyn-Michael Kay-Candace Brickley (lawandcrime.com)
^^^ That's why I posted about that other case back in April. He gave himself away blabbing to his Dad and friends. It's very similar to this case. Look how fast it went to trial and he's been convicted already.

What is happening in this slow moving case in Alaska? It's a sad day when brutal crimes against women are treated so common place they aren't even mentioned in the newspaper.

These men must have deep seated Mother issues. I wish we knew more about BS's childhood and family dynamics.

I thought of BS's wife this week because Dr. Phil had a 60 yr. lady on his show all caught up in a younger 22 yr. old guy from Nigeria. She had sent him $10,000. She was planning to go there against all warnings of how dangerous it is, all the scam warnings, common sense warning, etc., She won't listen... thinks it's love. Her granddaughter tried to talk sense into her, but this woman is blinded by her fantasies. She's going to marry her young man she's never met in person, and bring him to the US. The chances of it working out for the woman on Dr. Phil are slim, maybe he won't be a killer, but the chances of happy ever after are a dream, in my humble opinion.

I wished BS's wife could tell this other woman how it worked out for her. Once BS's wife allowed herself to fully realize she'd been blind to his other side, let's hope she stopped visiting him in jail. There's a possibility she may still insist on helping him, but I would think she's come to her senses by now. Brought this man to her country to kill women there. Sad, the deep disappointment BS's wife must've felt knowing she helped, supported, and backed a man she thought was decent only to find out he was a secret monster. All MOO, and thoughts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back