Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not forget her iWatch that was in her purse. Who takes off their iWatch and puts in your purse before an abduction? I am sure that when LE saw that, they started to question the whole scenario. If it had been thrown on the ground they might have thought differently. When I read that statement I was like, hmmm really, who would do that. My iwatch is like a lifeline.
I'm not saying it makes a hoax impossible, because everyone on WS has seen hoax abductions before and we all know its a possible outcome to a greater or lesser degree with every case, victim friendly policies notwithstanding of course. But I love and adore my Apple Watch and before that my Fitbit, but watch straps irritate my skin to no end and I often have to take mine off because the itching drives me nuts. I'd hate to ever think if I was actually abducted that the fact my watch might be off my arm and in my bag might make people think I was faking it!

I doubt it.
i do think she was seeking attention though but I'm not sure who her target was.
She could have brought a robe from her own home, saved up money, parked up her vehicle safely and taken a plane..
Instead she chose the most convoluted possible mechanism.
This is disordered thinking.
Great points. I was talking about this case tonight with family. What type of person creates such an elaborate scenario and then has to keep up the charade for days or longer, in order to get attention or deal with stress or whatever? It’s fascinating and frustrating.

It is disordered thinking, right? Bizarre.

Here is this gorgeous young woman with a job, a career path and a huge support network of friends and family. But she still pulls this nonsensical scheme.

I mean the only thing that gave me pause from the cynical view that this was a hoax was that she called 911 right before disappearing. I mean, she couldn’t know how quickly they’d be there. She was on the phone for a bit, pretending she was there on the side of the road with a child. So risky. What would she have done if the cops pulled up right behind her as she was on the phone with dispatchers, pretending to be looking at a child who wasn’t there?

It’s even crazier when we hear how calm she was on the 911 call.

Fun Fact, My sister and myself were on Blinkys Fun Club, many times from 1964 to 1968 in Denver. We would get out of school early to do the show. Once you were about 10 years old they pretty much stopped inviting you. As a child they would give you a fishing pole to dangle in a pool full of toys, got my first Ken doll that way, and they would attach some type of prize behind the scenes. He was a very nice guy to all of the kids on the shows.
I learned of your beloved Blinky and the Fun Club when I spent time in Colorado attending University. In UK, we had Charlie Cairoli but he was nothing like "Blinky" from the stories shared by my housemates. :)

I doubt it.
i do think she was seeking attention though but I'm not sure who her target was.
She could have brought a robe from her own home, saved up money, parked up her vehicle safely and taken a plane..
Instead she chose the most convoluted possible mechanism.
This is disordered thinking.
Or it's just selfish, entitled, egotistical thinking.

I think Carlee was upset that her boyfriend was unfaithful to her and she was trying to get revenge to see how upset he would be if she was missing or abducted. Initially, I wondered if she was having a tryst with some other guy holed up in a cheap motel. But I think she was pulling a Huck Finn - pretending she was abducted or missing and watching tv so she could see the level of concern her absence was creating.

She probably sat around in a motel room, eating Cheezies watching the drama unfold, but seeing how devastated her parents were made her rethink her plan and 'escape' her abductors. Which is why everything was so unbelievable. She may have a degree but it certainly isn't in fiction writing.

She needs help but she also needs to be charged with false reporting and misusing resources that could have been used elsewhere. I feel for her parents.

I think Carlee was upset that her boyfriend was unfaithful to her and she was trying to get revenge to see how upset he would be if she was missing or abducted. Initially, I wondered if she was having a tryst with some other guy holed up in a cheap motel. But I think she was pulling a Huck Finn - pretending she was abducted or missing and watching tv so she could see the level of concern her absence was creating.

She probably sat around in a motel room, eating Cheezies watching the drama unfold, but seeing how devastated her parents were made her rethink her plan and 'escape' her abductors. Which is why everything was so unbelievable. She may have a degree but it certainly isn't in fiction writing.

She needs help but she also needs to be charged with false reporting and misusing resources that could have been used elsewhere. I feel for her parents.
Not sure if the unfaithful thing is speculation or true here but
I did notice his insta has only 7 photos of himself now, no Carlee.

Or it's just selfish, entitled, egotistical thinking.
Or all of the above.

She certainly didn’t seem to care about all those people who love her so much they instantly set up a command center and began searching and later rushed to the hospital waiting for her to emerge.

I think someone can have disordered thinking while also being just plain mean.

I would imagine her plan was not to start a whole new life…was she always intending on always being gone only 2 days/a shirt amount of time? If so, what is the point? Would love to know more at some point. We shall see.
But I guess if she was looking into going to Nashville she was probably going to hide out awhile.

I wonder why she didn't buy the ticket to Nashville and go. Is it because this "kidnapping" blew up so quickly and the police responded so fast? She should have purchased that ticket in advance. Maybe, she didn't have the money to buy the ticket in advance, though??

For some reason, I think "some event" happened that week that triggered her over-the-top behavior. What Carlee thought the ultimate outcome would be is anyone's guess. I don't think that she logically thought it through.

JMO.
One thing we know for sure that happened is that she stole from her employer. Maybe she didn't have or didn't steal enough money to purchase the ticket to Nashville. Or maybe she did go. I don't think LE knows yet, just going off of the info in the presser. MOO I think it's clear that LE is extremely determined and will piece together those 49 hours, with or without Carlee's help. AJMOO Maybe LE knows more from her digital footprint?? Or maybe they will soon.

This sounds plausible to me. But why steal from her employer, and why involve 911? She could have just voluntarily gone no contact. Adults are allowed to do that. But instead she involved LE and concocted a story that caused undue fears and tensions for countless people. If there was trouble in her relationship, and I don't know if there was, I hope she learns that if her love interest won't commit willingly, he isn't worth her time, truly.

“You’re spending all this time, all this money and most of the time it’s more than one agency,” said Burke. “So, you’re talking about a lot of resources there and what they could charge the person with is filing a false report.”

Burke shared in today’s world, police resources and related agencies are often limited and stressed as it is. That’s often why they often require that people have been missing for 24 or sometimes up to 48 hours before they start searching, depending on the condition they’re believed to be in. Burke says if a person is lying about an incident, more resources will be used to find out why.

“And that’s why the police are investigating,” said Burke. “They want to find out how the person ended up missing, why they were missing — and if it proves not to be true — why wasn’t it true.”

This sounds plausible to me. But why steal from her employer, and why involve 911? She could have just voluntarily gone no contact. Adults are allowed to do that. But instead she involved LE and concocted a story that caused undue fears and tensions for countless people. If there was trouble in her relationship, and I don't know if there was, I hope she learns that if her love interest won't commit willingly, he isn't worth her time, truly.
And searched up how to break into cash registers.

what with the “6 carloads of family members showing up at the Red Roof Inn”, I feel bad for the family.

they clearly adore and think the world of her; and based upon what we’ve seen so far, she … well.

Even after it’s been pretty well proved to everyone’s satisfaction she was no victim, and instead IMO just comes across as a spoiled impulsive brat who acted without much if any thought; I suppose we don’t as of yet know the whole story.

Not sure if the unfaithful thing is speculation or true here but
I did notice his insta has only 7 photos of himself now, no Carlee.
some hero, eh?
Somebody yesterday used the word 'caper' as description for a hero who flies in to rescue the damsel and swears undying love.
She's better off without him, is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member