AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two guys with shirts off.... Jacqui Burgoon (JB's sister) said that the girls were looking for a field party (Jana Hare's party, I believe) took a wrong turn, ran into 2 guys with their shirts off, JB got scared and took off, and the two guys followed, the two guys pinned them in (not sure where), the guys saw that they scared JB and quickly left the scene. -Jacqui thought they told Bookie this, but Bookie said he didn't remember.. it may have been another person at the Midland City gas station to whom they told this story before continuing to Ozark- (as far as I know these guys have not been identified).

The two guys in the girls were seeing.... (I'm getting information from Veronica Silver, who interviewed the Roberts {Tracie's parents}). These were 2 guys that the girls knew (at least somewhat) and were sort of double dating. They were waiting for the girls at a gas station that was on the way home, but the girls never arrived. According to Cambron... the PI friend of Patti's that posted under Nicodemus on Wiregrass.com... these guys were never interviewed by investigators.

I too have come to believe that the girls didn't leave Ozark (or the Ozark area) that night. Either it was a random abduction and killing by someone not known to the girls. (the hardest type of homicide to solve)
Or the girls knew someone in or around Ozark, went to meet this person(s), and was killed. If that is the case, then there is investigative misconduct or incompetence.

Some say there can’t be police misconduct because there was 12 LE agencies working the case and you would think at least one of them would have noticed police misconduct.

IMO, if you believe that, you are also saying that all 12 agencies were incompetent.
How could all 12 agencies not want to interview the 2 boys?
Incompetence or misconduct?

I have never seen a case in which the official narrative changes so frequently.

In regards to the mud and water found on J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett's clothes, shoes, and car, I thought maybe they went to a golf course after they left the Big Little gas station in Ozark, AL. There looks to be the Ozark Country Club on 27 as you enter Ozark, AL. There is a dirt road called Willis Road that looks like it dead ends near the country club. Did police ever check this area out?

It is just a guess. There are many different places that they could have stopped that night and gotten the mud, water, and briars on their clothing and car. I think the key is finding the one place where it fits for all of the mud, water, and briar evidence found on the girls and on the car.

Good to see you Bulldog23 you filled in what I was trying to recall about the girls running into 2 boys w/no shirts and being chased but as it is were unsure whom exactly provided that information. Wasn't ever positive on whom Nicodemus was figured it was the PI but there were a couple of different one's involved over the course of time...but I do know whom Veritas :mad: was/is

Going back thinking .... the car was driven around for sometime that night and if I recall correctly the car was nearly empty the perp would not want to run the risk of being seen putting gas in the car at a station to get it out of town so one would need to go somewhere close to drop the car off and be able to walk to their residence or be picked up somewhere close. I have often thought Barretine knew this person and had picked the person up that night.

My thoughts keep changing more often now than ever

BBM...
Me and you both!

They never met in person any boys that night, neither the 2 shirtless boys nor the 2 boys in Midland City.

The incident Bulldog describes above, the 2 boys were in a truck and JB and Tracie were in JB's car.

We don't know if they never met any one that night though.
It's possible the girls did end up meeting up with some boys.
Did they ever make it to any of the aforementioned parties?

We don't know if they never met any one that night though.
It's possible the girls did end up meeting up with some boys.
Did they ever make it to any of the aforementioned parties?

You had referred to 2 boys. The only pairs of boys are the shirtless boys and the Midland City boys.

1) the shirtless boys was an encounter during looking for the Haleburg Party. It has been confirmed by people attending the Haleburg party, that JB and Tracie never showed up. And it was during this encounter, that JB and Tracie sped off, as Bulldog indicated, and they ended up at the BP Station in Headland.

2) The Midland City Boys, a Private Investigator interviewed them and the boys said they never met up with Tracie and JB that night.

The only confirmed party, that we know of (police could be keeping info to themselves) they made it to was the Skipperville party. They could have only been at this party for 10 or 15 min to then leave and make it to Ozark and call Tracie's mom at the Big/Little. The time from the pay phone records, and I would assume Tracie's parents' phone records, is 11:38 pm.

In my opinion, at this point there are 2 routes to how this gets solved:

1) run the DNA in an open source site and track down nearest relatives, as they did in Golden State Killer, and other cases solved since GSK arrested. Or at least this could rule out the DNA once and for all, if it was found to be from someone consensual

2) Someone saw something or remembers something and comes forward. Or someone suspects a relative and comes forward.

#2 is why I believe the documentary, "Shined Rabbit" is so important. It could either make the perpetrator(s) nervous to the point of doing or say something which causes them to be found out or it could jog someone's memory and they come forward and tell what they know.

I think it at a minimum the doc needs to be shown in Dale and Houston counties. I wish we could do crowd sourcing to pay for it or pay to see it online.

I as well believed it was someone they knew and someone within the Veritas realm of friends, acquaintances and relationships.

Truly need to go back and catch up I came through when thread # 3 curtailed ..... the thread and everyone was gone!! A few of yall filled in the highlights ... geez what a mess

I agree one hundred percent. V was a trucker who had just returned from a trip to Canada with untaxed liquor for Jana's party (Haleburg). According to him, he was seeing Jana's mother at that time. He had let JB use his apartment and (according to his own admission) had a camera set up in his bathroom at one time. Cambron, the private detective, accused him of letting kids do "their thing" in his apartment while he was away. I know OPD are aware of him because I emailed Marlos Walker personally a couple of years ago. He and Janice (Jana's mother) were friends with a Dale County Narcotics officer, who went by the nickname "Butch." By most accounts, Butch was a good guy, but he died several years after the murders. (I have seen cancer and suicide- not sure what the truth is.) I've always wondered if the "tapes" in the HCR debacle were really were tapes JB found in Veritas apartment. That is pure conjecture, but I still think the killer is connected to V in some form or fashion.

I agree one hundred percent. V was a trucker who had just returned from a trip to Canada with untaxed liquor for Jana's party (Haleburg). According to him, he was seeing Jana's mother at that time. He had let JB use his apartment and (according to his own admission) had a camera set up in his bathroom at one time. Cambron, the private detective, accused him of letting kids do "their thing" in his apartment while he was away. I know OPD are aware of him because I emailed Marlos Walker personally a couple of years ago. He and Janice (Jana's mother) were friends with a Dale County Narcotics officer, who went by the nickname "Butch." By most accounts, Butch was a good guy, but he died several years after the murders. (I have seen cancer and suicide- not sure what the truth is.) I've always wondered if the "tapes" in the HCR debacle were really were tapes JB found in Veritas apartment. That is pure conjecture, but I still think the killer is connected to V in some form or fashion.

BBM This is pure conjecture from myself as well, but if JB had a key to V's apartment on her keychain, this would make sense why her keys/keychain were taken, if V was the perpetrator or had involvement in any way.

The key would lead back to him.

Very interesting post, Bulldog

In my opinion, at this point there are 2 routes to how this gets solved:

1) run the DNA in an open source site and track down nearest relatives, as they did in Golden State Killer, and other cases solved since GSK arrested. Or at least this could rule out the DNA once and for all, if it was found to be from someone consensual

2) Someone saw something or remembers something and comes forward. Or someone suspects a relative and comes forward.

#2 is why I believe the documentary, "Shined Rabbit" is so important. It could either make the perpetrator(s) nervous to the point of doing or say something which causes them to be found out or it could jog someone's memory and they come forward and tell what they know.

I think it at a minimum the doc needs to be shown in Dale and Houston counties. I wish we could do crowd sourcing to pay for it or pay to see it online.
The only way i see this getting solved is if someone with resources (read: money) is willing to get on board and promote the hell out of this documentary, possibly fund a follow up documentary and get some pressure put on whoever it is that is investigating this case (Ozark PD, Dale County Sheriffs, AG's office...seems to change all the time)

SQ you rung a bell in my head or at least kicked a rock around.. lol.

Anywho wasn't the mud tested ?

According to wiregrass.com archive (Ozark Alabama News - Chronology of Events) the soil from a suspected location was tested but I don't recall the results being released to the public. "Police are still waiting on soil sample results from the suspected secondary crime scene on Hwy 123, where the actual murders are believed to have taken place."

According to wiregrass.com archive (Ozark Alabama News - Chronology of Events) the soil from a suspected location was tested but I don't recall the results being released to the public. "Police are still waiting on soil sample results from the suspected secondary crime scene on Hwy 123, where the actual murders are believed to have taken place."

This is 5 years after the murders when they say they are still waiting on soil sample results. Laughable.

Sometimes i truly even wonder if anyone investigated these murders at all.

Where is the shell casing?

In addition to mention of the soil samples in the wiregrass.com archive (Ozark Alabama News - Chronology of Events) is that several pieces of information that have been analyzed over and over again may not be true according to Tracie's step-father.

Mike Roberts Says He Was Misquoted in News Article
January 23, 2000

Tracie Hawlett's step-father says that a news article by The Birmingham News misquoted him on several comments attributed to him. He also said that the newspaper told him that the news article was going to focus on the lives of his daughter and J.B. Beasley, who were both found murdered found murdered on Aug. 1, 1999.
The Birmingham News is reportedly standing behind it's article and they don't plan on retracting anything that was published in the article.
It isn't exactly clear as to which parts of the article Robert's is referring to as being inaccurate. He did say that some of the comments that were included in the article were of rumors he had heard or that he was assured that the comment he was making at the time would be off the record.

Birmingham News Reporting New Information in Case
January 23, 2000

A news article by Robin DeMonia, a Birmingham News staff writer, includes new information in the case of the murder of the two Dothan teens. Among the new items are several quotes from Mike Roberts, Tracie Hawlett's step-father. Here are a few quotes from the article:

• "It was muddy and almost out of gas, despite a fill-up the day before." (talking about the Mazda car the girls bodies were found in)

• "Miss Hawlett's arm was scratched, her pants had briars, and the $95 New Balance tennis shoes she had bought the week before were covered in mud. First into the trunk, she had been shot once in the temple."

• "Miss Beasley was dirty, too, and also had been shot once, apparently in the cheek, Roberts said"

• "They also have one palm print from the trunk lid, Roberts said."

• "One theory hangs the crime on a police officer or someone posing as an officer. Roberts has raised the possibility himself, saying he believes the girls would not have stopped for anything other than a blue light. In addition, Miss Beasley's window was halfway down, he said, and he's been told her license was on the car's console. "
The article was published to the world wide web, on the Alabama Live web site on January 20, 2000.

SQ you rung a bell in my head or at least kicked a rock around.. lol.

Anywho wasn't the mud tested ?

I think the mud was tested, but were the results ever released? Do investigators know where J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett went after leaving the Big Little gas station in Ozark, AL on the night of July 31, 1999?

When you look at the "mud" on the tires of J.B. Beasley's car in the pictures there does not look like there is any caked mud in the tread. It is just like Tracie Hawlett's shoes. Of course this is trying to look at it from a tv program. It looks more like they went down a dirt road to me and dust from the dirt stuck to the walls of the tires. And since at least two gunshots were fired that could have been heard by witnesses it seemed to me that whatever dirt or gravel road they took to leave the "mud" on their tires had to be somewhere that was rather desolate with few houses around it. Otherwise the killer would be taking a big chance with the sound of the gun.

So if anyone is from Ozark, AL, how many dirt roads are there in the area that are not close to a house/home? Again, this is just guessing, but I am trying to guess based on the other evidence(gunshot sound). Also, something like sand would be less likely to stick on shoes or tires. Whenever I have got thorns stuck on my clothing and shoes it is usually from walking in brush near the beach. And they had to be close to some sort of water.

There is not much left to talk about in J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett's case that does not include speculation of some kind. Until investigators can link the mud on their clothes and car with a specific spot, all anyone can do is continue to guess. Where J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett went the night of July 31, 1999 is as much a mystery as who murdered them. Hopefully someday the mystery will be solved.

In addition to mention of the soil samples in the wiregrass.com archive (Ozark Alabama News - Chronology of Events) is that several pieces of information that have been analyzed over and over again may not be true according to Tracie's step-father.

Mike Roberts Says He Was Misquoted in News Article
January 23, 2000

Tracie Hawlett's step-father says that a news article by The Birmingham News misquoted him on several comments attributed to him. He also said that the newspaper told him that the news article was going to focus on the lives of his daughter and J.B. Beasley, who were both found murdered found murdered on Aug. 1, 1999.
The Birmingham News is reportedly standing behind it's article and they don't plan on retracting anything that was published in the article.
It isn't exactly clear as to which parts of the article Robert's is referring to as being inaccurate. He did say that some of the comments that were included in the article were of rumors he had heard or that he was assured that the comment he was making at the time would be off the record.

Birmingham News Reporting New Information in Case
January 23, 2000

A news article by Robin DeMonia, a Birmingham News staff writer, includes new information in the case of the murder of the two Dothan teens. Among the new items are several quotes from Mike Roberts, Tracie Hawlett's step-father. Here are a few quotes from the article:

• "It was muddy and almost out of gas, despite a fill-up the day before." (talking about the Mazda car the girls bodies were found in)

• "Miss Hawlett's arm was scratched, her pants had briars, and the $95 New Balance tennis shoes she had bought the week before were covered in mud. First into the trunk, she had been shot once in the temple."

• "Miss Beasley was dirty, too, and also had been shot once, apparently in the cheek, Roberts said"

• "They also have one palm print from the trunk lid, Roberts said."

• "One theory hangs the crime on a police officer or someone posing as an officer. Roberts has raised the possibility himself, saying he believes the girls would not have stopped for anything other than a blue light. In addition, Miss Beasley's window was halfway down, he said, and he's been told her license was on the car's console. "
The article was published to the world wide web, on the Alabama Live web site on January 20, 2000.

I wonder if Mr. Roberts caught some flack about the police officer theory and was pressured to try to change that statement/ quote. In preview for the documentary, Mike Roberts says something to the effect, I will tell you this, power and money cover up a lot of things. I think he is saying someone is obstructing the investigation. I would love to see the documentary, too and am willing to contribute to get it played in the Wiregrass area.

I wonder if Mr. Roberts caught some flack about the police officer theory and was pressured to try to change that statement/ quote. In preview for the documentary, Mike Roberts says something to the effect, I will tell you this, power and money cover up a lot of things. I think he is saying someone is obstructing the investigation. I would love to see the documentary, too and am willing to contribute to get it played in the Wiregrass area.

I agree with everything you are saying and have wondered why Mr. Roberts would say that (power & money)? Who would have both of those? LE would have the power-at least initially, but not now and I don't see them having the $$ to cover anything up. It is almost like he thinks some wealthy person with power over the investigators or someone has enough $$ to buy off or derail the investigation. Maybe some other sleuthers here can express their opinions of what or who they feel his was referencing? Chime in with your thoughts, please!

I agree with everything you are saying and have wondered why Mr. Roberts would say that (power & money)? Who would have both of those? LE would have the power-at least initially, but not now and I don't see them having the $$ to cover anything up. It is almost like he thinks some wealthy person with power over the investigators or someone has enough $$ to buy off or derail the investigation. Maybe some other sleuthers here can express their opinions of what or who they feel his was referencing? Chime in with your thoughts, please!

Well... there is the rumor about Brantley Steagull... whose family is both powerful and wealthy. One of his grandfathers was a very wealthy. Others were judges, etc...

At this point, in my mind, there is no doubt that somebody has been obstructing the investigation since day 1.

As for the the documentary, i hope the producer still reads here, although it may be difficult because we are currently on what is basically a dummy thread. The original thread has been shut down since the Carroll fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner