AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #4 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That house with the blue post is not abandoned and wasnt in 1999 either it just looks that way!! My mom lives next door to this house!

This is correct, there was a truck parked there today. Its always looked like that ever far back as I can remember. I do recall what I thought was odd people living there but that was in my very early teens. Had friends that lived on broad street and we would always go back there exploring and were tempted many times to explore that house lol

This is correct, there was a truck parked there today. Its always looked like that ever far back as I can remember. Had friends that lived on broad street and we would always go back there exploring and were tempted many times to explore that house lol

Yeah it always looks abandoned!!!

An interesting slice of bread to munch on is this. I remember in the previous thread it was mentioned tire tread was found off of 123. The poster quoted a link to AMW and like many other links the information could not be found. I never heard or seen that mentioned before. Also the unspent 9mm which may or may not be the same the type of 9mm brand used in the gun. For whatever thats worth.

So we have Merritts comments where she directed had the girls follow on broad street to 231 (safest, fastest and most logical route to 231 from the store) then lost sight of them after she goes past the "hump" (doesn't exist, there is a slight curvature in the road prior to hitting the stop light and downtown Ozark.) Between the light and store there are a couple of places to turn but first, the assumptions of being pulled over by a cop is weak, because Merritt would have seen the lights of the cops. The girls were according to her, close, within rear view sight. So even if a someone was traveling towards the store she would have noted a cop going in the direction as well. Also the chances of the girls stopping on the road is slim to none be it a stranger or not, assuming these girls dont make that a habit since most dont. Most of the street is fairly well lit too.

So as I mentioned before they could have turned off to depot lane. But as i mentioned it's a short distance and they would come back out towards the store and broad street, if they turned right after hitting depot. If left it would bring them back to broad. Taking a left would take you down the street where McCraney lived during the time. (Road isnt far from depot) Traveling down the road you pass a small housing area, where you can turn into or keep traveling the short road and hitting a stop sign. Taking a right takes you to Downton, you can for the most see some businesses from there. Taking left takes you back to hwy 27. Takes you to a another stop sign where you can take a left back to the store (store can be seen from the left) or right taking to towards hwy 27.

Its logical they turned down the road McCraney went, this is where things could have started.....I will not speculate.

So back to what I was thinking about where the murders took place. There is a possibility it occured on herring. I recall a few years ago, around 1-2 am hearing 6 gunshots outside when I worked at the hospital. Reported it and after some time a cop drove through and nothing came about it. No dogs barked, no lights turned on in the apartments or houses to the left. (There is a really obnoxious tiny dog that barks at the wind is outside at all times roaming the streets---only mentioned because he didn't go ape **** despite 10 min prior he was barking at me and the cars driving past).

On herring the houses are close but not as close as one would think. And there is a creek, a small trail, an abandoned looking barn in the woods. Pitch black at night. I know some pictures were posted in a previous thread. So the killer could have easily driven the vehicle with them there and taken them down said trail before bringing them to the car and discharging 2 fatal shots. Also I'm not sure how concrete the statements about the blood that was sprayed underneath the car suggesting traveling after being shot, mind you it took 6 hours to figure out one can open the trunk from the inside and why it wasn't even thought to open it by other means is odd. They just received missing persons report, warrant or not they could've opened with minimal alterations to what little evidence they had. Then the person could have walked home to wherever, be it close, semi close or not. Rarely did OPD pull over and interact with people walking at night unless it was a suspicious person reported like the few resident alcoholic and the few schizophrenic people they always arrested. (You hear reports over the scanner if they do) Depending on what he was wearing he could have been "jogging" not unheard for a person to go exercise at odd hours, they had one gym that was open 24/7 across from the police department. Also the way the 9mm is described laying on the leg, if the killer drove he would have had to stop, open the trunk a 2nd to place the shell or he did it there only opening and closing it once.

Should be noted, I've noticed how shocked people are (not necessarily here) the car and potential murder happened not far from herring. The police department is a just a little bit away from downtown but its not a bustling area especially at night time. It's not so ballsy as someone would imagine.

It's perfectly reasonable for shots tobe fired or what sounds like shots to go unnoticed or reported in Ozark, I've heard what sounded like random gunshots in and around my neighborhood where nothing came about and it's not related to Ft. Rucker which I dont live far from the gate but I'm even closer to the helicopter field. I forget off hand where the ranges are.

So unless an alien swooped down onto broad street and abducted them there is no reason for Merritt to have lost sight of them unless she was exceeding the 25 mph limit (which didnt happen since its patrolled heavy and prone to pulling people over there) and the girls were creeping like a snail down the road.
Similar to Newton, Alabama. The ones that are familiar know once you hit newton you drive that speed limit.

Too add, it's not crazy to wonder why Merritt stopped at the store even though it was closed. Depending on where she lived and where she was coming from (surrounding country towns) she may have forgotten since some lights do stay on. There was no drink machine outside, no outside restroom, nor exterior camera during that time. Just to clear that up. I've seen it posted before and people were confused. Hence the excellent picture from the camera on the inside pointed at the gas pumps. I believe also there was only 2 pumps at that time vs the 4 there now, I'll have to check on that. At one time it was a junior foods store, then big little store. Its been changed a number of times.

** I was going to post some pictures of the creek, barn, and the neighborhood where he lived but the files are too big.**

I will work on then later today, I'll take some additional ones too

If you go down Depot lane and turn right it does take you back close to the store but if you turn left it does not take you back to Broad St if you turn rleft there is no outlet back there..you have to go back the way you came.

If you go down Depot lane and turn right it does take you back close to the store but if you turn left it does not take you back to Broad St if you turn rleft there is no outlet back there..you have to go back the way you came.

You're right. I had that dirt road pictured as a connection between ave/lane. Heck I didn't even realize til today the depot was demolished in January 2018 lol. I remember all of us trekking the woods behind super sav and find crazy Bill's tent and 100's of liquor bottles.

For those unfamiliar he was one of Ozarks wine-o, harmless as could be but you'd always see him riding his bicycle with that side show Bob hair flowing lolol

You're right. I had that dirt road pictured as a connection between ave/lane. Heck I didn't even realize til today the depot was demolished in January 2018 lol. I remember all of us trekking the woods behind super sav and find crazy Bill's tent and 100's of liquor bottles.

For those unfamiliar he was one of Ozarks wine-o, harmless as could be but you'd always see him riding his bicycle with that side show Bob hair flowing lolol

Yes they took the Depot down 1/13/18 mom and I saw it come down!!! I remember Bill!!!

Side note/ off topic advice.

Sword and Scale. Podcast. You will see banners for it. I am all for online/social media to help solve crimes and for public interest. However, the hosting server/ site admin appears to be using “http” coding for their site. This is not the most secure code protocol. If you decide to visit the site please have your antivirus up to date and firewall up. “https” is the secure version of hypertext protocol (how an actual webpage is presented off a server). Http is not dangerous in itself, but easier to penetrate than https for hacks. Https is pretty much the standard nowadays.

I appreciate everyone’s participation here and just want to help.

Quo Vadis

Last edited:
This is correct, there was a truck parked there today. Its always looked like that ever far back as I can remember. I do recall what I thought was odd people living there but that was in my very early teens. Had friends that lived on broad street and we would always go back there exploring and were tempted many times to explore that house lol

Last edited:
My mom has lived next to the ice plant since the 70's!!! I'm ot talking about that old man I am talking about the old man at the OTHER end of Jones st he was still very lucid in 1999..Trust me I have known him since I started school!!!! And there are plenty of places around there to get wet while running trust me and my kids have roamed and played in that area for years!!!
I trust your account! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member