GUILTY AL - J.B. Beasley & Tracie Hawlett, both 17, murdered, Ozark, 31 July 1999 *ARREST in 2019* #5

Good Thursday evening friends

It appears that there is a pretrial hearing or conference scheduled. It is my thought this is a hearing to be held in chambers or not available to the general public because This morning I saw a notice of Motion and subsequent Order on the Alacourt records system for a court reporter to be present at the hearing. However I do not see a visible motion for such hearing or conference.

As my resources provide additional information I will disclose it in as timely manner as possible.

Thank you friends for sticking with this.

Attachments

• D1CAD8A5-E449-4BBF-A65A-D0AB9E12AB60.jpeg
    D1CAD8A5-E449-4BBF-A65A-D0AB9E12AB60.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DE3EAE9E-2E1F-4CE4-9975-24D846653139.jpeg
    DE3EAE9E-2E1F-4CE4-9975-24D846653139.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 15
Good Thursday evening friends

It appears that there is a pretrial hearing or conference scheduled. It is my thought this is a hearing to be held in chambers or not available to the general public because This morning I saw a notice of Motion and subsequent Order on the Alacourt records system for a court reporter to be present at the hearing. However I do not see a visible motion for such hearing or conference.

As my resources provide additional information I will disclose it in as timely manner as possible.

Thank you friends for sticking with this.

Good evening friends,

I finally got time to look actually look at these motions.

1. The motion for a court reporter was actually for a hearing held last August (huh??). For clarity, looking back at the case file, there was a court reporter ordered by the court to attend the hearing. Apparently the Defense had not received the transcript from the Court Clerk and filed the motion to ”nudge” the release a copy of the transcripts to them.

2. The State has filed a discovery motion with the Court to release, as discovery, any “Expert” witnesses that the Defense intends to call at trial.

I see no future pretrial hearings or conferences scheduled on docket at the date of this writing.

I am still surprised at the lateness of the AG’s office intervening in this case. Even notwithstanding ADA Massey’s bicycle accident I would have expected it sooner. I offer no speculation.

Thank you friends.

(I just looked and this is post #666 on this thread. Ha!! What a gaff)

Attachments

• B0C658AF-A100-421D-B71F-41755A1A89B5.png
    B0C658AF-A100-421D-B71F-41755A1A89B5.png
    319.2 KB · Views: 13
  • illxz1myc3vvkzdf0vbr5c0d_4342bd2e-3e9a-43d7-a077-69bf77d105b3.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Attached is a court transcript of Rena Crumb's interview by Ozark Police Investigator/Deputy Chief Bryan captured on his bodycam describing interaction / allegded threats by defense attorney David Harrison and plan to recant her previous statements. I would assume that attorney Harrison may plan to impeach his own witness? If anyone with a legal background can offer an opinion it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Rena Crumb interview-1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Rena Crumb interview2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Rena Crumb interview3.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Another motion and order for general discovery. When I have the time I will go through the casebook and give a count of how many of these same motions and orders have been issued.

I think This particular motion and order are the result of AG Marshall being boarded. Just an idea.

Have a good weekend folks
Justice on!!!

Attachments

• Motion for Discovery 02-16-2022 2.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Order for Discovery. 02-16-2022 2.pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 13
There has been a flurry of pretrial motions filed today on AlaCourt. I will post them this evening, possibly with commentary. It may be a little late as my docket call is making this a full day today.

Thank you my friends
Justice on!!

Last edited:
My understanding it there are two witnesses who have come forward. One witnessed the girls in their car on herring street near the time of death and heard screaming and saw a white male at the passenger door. I had access to the police report from 1999 where the lady was interviewed orginally. Attorney for Mccraney andrew scarborough claims this was not turned over during the discovery process. Attached is the police report with the name and personal info redacted for privacy.TIMELINE_12-16AM-A copy.jpg

I understand there are legal issues with the case and rules of evidence must be followed as Blacklist has articulated over time and certain things even if true may not come into a trial according to the judge's discretion. My interest is more in the investigation into the case and how it unfolded. Maybe they have the right guy, maybe not. Hopefully in the trial for those that have followed this case details will emerge.
It was long thought these girls came from Headland and were lost and stopped at the former Big Little store asking for directions. Last talking to Marilyn Merrit and this was corroborated by the phone records of Carol Roberts (Tracie's mother) and the payphone used as being at 11:43pm. However the store closed at 11PM and a clerk there gave change to one of the girls minutes , 10 - fiftyish, before it closed and are on video. There are several witneses that have come forward that interacted with Tracie Hawlett at a party on highway 36 about 8 minutes from the store after 11pm. JB, according to police interviews with the people at one party (there were confusingly two on the same road that night and one in neaby skipperville) was meeting with a guy. Whether this was McCraney or not is not known as far as I know nor the race of that individual identified. What happenend in that critical 50 minutes between originally getting to the store and going to this party and then returning to the store and then leaving to meet friends at the Midland City Shell on 231 is important.
McCraney's wife has testified that she went with him to the store at about 12 to jump off his car and then he was with her moving forward. I think in the trial we will find out whether this actually could have happened and if their car ( a cadillac) is on the security video. If true, places McCraney and the girls in the same physical location 15-30 minutes before the beginning of the time of death estimate ( 12:30-2). Assuming her alibi is truthful then this means he was just with one of the victims.
I would hope for Ozark Police department's sake they have the right guy, but this hinges on the idea of the DNA and this not being a consensual encounter. What I can guess is if these girls called home ( 11:43pm ) and were on the way to meet boys they had been dating that were just 10-15 minutes away waiting on them it is VERY UNLIKELY they stopped and had sex with a random older black man they did'nt know. The odds of that are astronomically remote and I would say the same thing if the races were opposite. These families deserve to know what happened and why they were killed. Hopefully the trial will reveal what really happened.

Last edited:
Hello Friends
As promised, I am attaching copies of a total of seven motions filed on 2/28 and 3/3/2023

The motions on 2/28 were filed by the State in response to the latest Defense motion for production of all discovery (evidence) intended for use at trial. There are two, one is a supplementary response.

The motions on 3/3/23 are all defense motions. Some can viewed as pretrial housekeeping and covering bases should an appeal be required . Others a preemptive motions regarding the imposition of the death penalty if a conviction is rendered.

I will be glad to render clarification of any of these motions to the best of my understanding of course. I ask that you please take note of posted motion #6 as it could prove vital to defense strategy should a conviction should occur.

Motion #7 will be of great interest as it involves Judicial latitude in the event a conviction is obtained, but during the penalty phase the jury’s vote is not unanimous. As everyone who has read my thoughts and opinions, I hope you feel I am objective. I am a true fan of our Judicial system, not of the DA or Defense in this case. I have to state that motion #7 is particularly well researched and written, as it should be. After all, a man’s life is in the balance here.

Justice on Friends!!

Attachments

• STATE’S NOTICE OF DISCOVERY.pdf
    193.6 KB · Views: 30
  • STATE’S NOTICE OF SUPPLEMENTAL DISCOVERY.pdf
    193.3 KB · Views: 19
  • MOTION FOR CHARGE CONFERENCE AND OPPORTUNITY TO REVIEW AND OBJECT TO FINAL JURY CHARGE BEFORE ...pdf
    104.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Motion To Incorporate All Federal And State Constitutional Grounds In Support Of All Motions A...pdf
    107.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Motion For Full Recordation Of All Proceedings .pdf
    105.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Motion to Submit Evidence of And Argue Residual Doubt At The Penalty Phase .pdf
    195.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Motion to Prohibit Death Penalty Without Unanimous Verdict .pdf
    185.4 KB · Views: 12
Alacourt filings this morning. All five motions as noted in post #670 will be reviewed and ruled upon after a hearing on March 16, 2023 at 9:00 A.M.

Have a great weekend my friends
Juctice on!!

That reporting from Ken Curtis from WSFA..."McCraney, whose most serious charge until then had been speeding through a construction zone".

So apparently beating and imprisoning your then 15 year old wife and child is not all that serious of a charge.

The 1994 charge.

Back in April, it was revealed by the prosecution that McCraney was charged with assault of a minor under 16 years of age, according to military records.

The report states the complainant was McCraney’s first wife, who showed up to Keesler Air Force Base’s Gate 1 at 3:37 a.m. on April 11, 1994, and told personnel that her husband assaulted her.

She was reported to have a bruise forming on her left cheek and a spot where the hair on her head was pulled out. In a written statement, she said she was hit in the head with a 9mm magazine and locked in a room with her baby, escaping when McDaniels entered the room.

Military police later detained McCraney and McDaniels and searched them. As the defense said, 9mm Luger ammunition and a broken magazine were found on McDaniels while an 8 1/2″ Buck knife was found on McCraney.

McCraney was charged with aggravated assault, assault consummated by battery on a child under 16 years of age, unlawful detention, and possession of a concealed weapon. McDaniels was only charged with trespassing as he was a civilian.

According to the report, McCraney was placed under pretrial confinement, but the records do not state what happened after this.

That reporting from Ken Curtis from WSFA..."McCraney, whose most serious charge until then had been speeding through a construction zone".

So apparently beating and imprisoning your then 15 year old wife and child is not all that serious of a charge.

The 1994 charge.

Back in April, it was revealed by the prosecution that McCraney was charged with assault of a minor under 16 years of age, according to military records.

The report states the complainant was McCraney’s first wife, who showed up to Keesler Air Force Base’s Gate 1 at 3:37 a.m. on April 11, 1994, and told personnel that her husband assaulted her.

She was reported to have a bruise forming on her left cheek and a spot where the hair on her head was pulled out. In a written statement, she said she was hit in the head with a 9mm magazine and locked in a room with her baby, escaping when McDaniels entered the room.

Military police later detained McCraney and McDaniels and searched them. As the defense said, 9mm Luger ammunition and a broken magazine were found on McDaniels while an 8 1/2″ Buck knife was found on McCraney.

McCraney was charged with aggravated assault, assault consummated by battery on a child under 16 years of age, unlawful detention, and possession of a concealed weapon. McDaniels was only charged with trespassing as he was a civilian.

According to the report, McCraney was placed under pretrial confinement, but the records do not state what happened after this.

Come to think about it, I wonder why the DA or even the defense have not subpoenaed McCraney’s DD-214 file to expound or resolve what was the resolution of his military/ Air Force case.
Most likely he received an Article 15 at the most with a forced separation from military service. If he had been subject to a Court Martial it would have shown up on NCIC most likely and we would know the answer.

I understand there are legal issues with the case and rules of evidence must be followed as Blacklist has articulated over time and certain things even if true may not come into a trial according to the judge's discretion. My interest is more in the investigation into the case and how it unfolded. Maybe they have the right guy, maybe not. Hopefully in the trial for those that have followed this case details will emerge.
It was long thought these girls came from Headland and were lost and stopped at the former Big Little store asking for directions. Last talking to Marilyn Merrit and this was corroborated by the phone records of Carol Roberts (Tracie's mother) and the payphone used as being at 11:43pm. However the store closed at 11PM and a clerk there gave change to one of the girls minutes , 10 - fiftyish, before it closed and are on video. There are several witneses that have come forward that interacted with Tracie Hawlett at a party on highway 36 about 8 minutes from the store after 11pm. JB, according to police interviews with the people at one party (there were confusingly two on the same road that night and one in neaby skipperville) was meeting with a guy. Whether this was McCraney or not is not known as far as I know nor the race of that individual identified. What happenend in that critical 50 minutes between originally getting to the store and going to this party and then returning to the store and then leaving to meet friends at the Midland City Shell on 231 is important.
McCraney's wife has testified that she went with him to the store at about 12 to jump off his car and then he was with her moving forward. I think in the trial we will find out whether this actually could have happened and if their car ( a cadillac) is on the security video. If true, places McCraney and the girls in the same physical location 15-30 minutes before the beginning of the time of death estimate ( 12:30-2). Assuming her alibi is truthful then this means he was just with one of the victims.
I would hope for Ozark Police department's sake they have the right guy, but this hinges on the idea of the DNA and this not being a consensual encounter. What I can guess is if these girls called home ( 11:43pm ) and were on the way to meet boys they had been dating that were just 10-15 minutes away waiting on them it is VERY UNLIKELY they stopped and had sex with a random older black man they did'nt know. The odds of that are astronomically remote and I would say the same thing if the races were opposite. These families deserve to know what happened and why they were killed. Hopefully the trial will reveal what really happened.
He claimed he didn’t have sex with either woman. How did his semen get into one of the women? He wasn’t much older than Tracie and J.B they possibly wouldn’t have thought he was a threat at first. I hope they offer him a plea deal if he admits what happened. If he managed to never kill another person he needs to own up to what he did.

He claimed he didn’t have sex with either woman. How did his semen get into one of the women? He wasn’t much older than Tracie and J.B they possibly wouldn’t have thought he was a threat at first. I hope they offer him a plea deal if he admits what happened. If he managed to never kill another person he needs to own up to what he did.
most def agree. the only way I can imagine him being innocent is if he says he lied about lying about not knowing them and can prove he had sex earlier that evening at or near the hwy 36 party. I predict there are witnesses , i know of one couple there who talked to tracie. If there is any contact with JB by people there then there is not enough time for mccraney to have had sex with jb which seals his fate. its math. just my opinion. he cant have it both ways as his lawyer would like and his wifes alibi can be proven or disproved by the store's security video and witnesses who pulled up at the closed store like merrit.

The 1994 charge.

FYI McDaniels lived on Herring street where his mother had a unit rented in the housing project. Their unit's back porch faced the power substation and was close proximity to where the victims were found. Maybe 150 yards up Herring. I expect this to come out in the trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back