AL - Jakayla Ashanti Williams, 18, Charged With Murder for Tossing live Newborn in Dumpster, Dothan, Aug 2023

killarney rose

Reaction score

Investigators arrested Jakayla Ashanti Williams, 18, Thursday after they found the baby dead in the Dothan landfill, though they believe the child was alive when discarded.

No bond for Williams who is charged with capital murder in the death of newborn son.

According to Dothan Police, the 18-year-old mother, Jakayla Ashanti Williams, told employees she had given birth to a boy at her home in the 1100 Block of Tate Drive but dropped the baby off at the hospital because she did not want him, and said that a baby costs too much money to care for. William’s family did not know she was pregnant or had given birth until Wednesday, August 23, police say.

I can’t believe that this case isn’t getting more attention. This girl shows no remorse after putting her live baby in a trash compactor like he was garbage.

I can’t believe that this case isn’t getting more attention. This girl shows no remorse after putting her live baby in a trash compactor like he was garbage.

I bet it will when the woman and her attorney start claiming post partum psychosis made her toss her unwanted infant into a trash compactor.

I personally don’t give a flying flip about why she murdered her baby but I hope she goes to trial and ends up in prison as that may be the only way to prevent her from getting pregnant again.

I’m all for throwing the book at her!

82df3195cc9949f5ba3799ea4d04a493_md.jpg

DOTHAN, Ala. (TCD) -- An 18-year-old woman faces a capital murder charge after her newborn child was found dead inside a trash compactor and wrapped in a mattress protector.

According to the Dothan Police Department, on Aug. 24, staff at Southeast Health called police after a woman came in and was "attempting to recover a child she claimed she had left at their facility" 11 days earlier. She reportedly said she left her child with an employee in the lobby.

The female, who police identified as Jakayla Ashanti Williams, allegedly said she gave birth Aug. 13 at her home on Tate Drive, then drove to the hospital, handed him to an employee, and left. Police said she claimed she gave up the child because "she did not want the child and it cost too much money."

Williams was arrested and charged with capital murder.

Jakayla Ashanti Williams, 18, is charged with Capital Murder, and prosecutors could seek execution if a jury convicts her.

Next month’s hearing is an initial test of the case’s strength, with police expected to testify about their evidence, though officers said Williams confessed.

Because a low threshold of proof is needed, it is a near certainty Houston County District Judge Benjamin Lewis will push the case onto a grand jury.

When announcing her arrest on October 24, Dothan Police Chief William E. “Will” Benny claimed Williams tossed her child born two hours earlier into the dumpster about a mile from her home, where she gave birth.

Williams told her family that she had dropped the child off to a Southeast Health Medical Center nurse.

They became suspicious of her account, which ultimately sparked a police investigation that led officers to the baby’s body dumpster’s transfer to the city’s public landfill.

Williams’ attorneys will likely seek her release on bond, though bail usually is not set in Capital Murder cases

From your link, next hearing is October 6. Prosecutors may seek the death penalty though IMO they’ll use it as a bargaining chip.

Next month’s hearing is an initial test of the case’s strength, with police expected to testify about their evidence, though officers said Williams confessed.

Because a low threshold of proof is needed, it is a near certainty Houston County District Judge Benjamin Lewis will push the case onto a grand jury.

Williams’ attorneys will likely seek her release on bond, though bail usually is not set in Capital Murder cases.

Moo....why would death penalty be sought? She is not a danger to society. Infanticide of a new born, is an act of not wanting or caring or bonding with new born. But is not usually violent. Where as the death of a child or adult is violent and the person is a danger. But there is not usually a life sentence...I do not understand the logic....moo

Moo....why would death penalty be sought? She is not a danger to society. Infanticide of a new born, is an act of not wanting or caring or bonding with new born. But is not usually violent. Where as the death of a child or adult is violent and the person is a danger. But there is not usually a life sentence...I do not understand the logic....moo
I think the prosecutor is only considering the appropriateness and will address it later in the case. I’m pretty sure it’s a bargaining chip as the dp is an uphill battle in most cases. IOW to induce her to plead guilty on a lesser charge in a deal. She’s young, just one year beyond protective laws barring the dp without a court decision and probably an automatic appeal.

This article explains it a bit more thoroughly:

DOTHAN, Ala (WDHN)—A Houston County Judge has set a bond hearing for an 18-year-old Dothan woman whose baby boy died after police say she placed him in a dumpster with a trash compactor and lied to investigators about it.

Jakayla Williams’ attorneys first requested a bond be set for their client during a virtual hearing on August 25. During this hearing, her attorneys, Clay Wadsworth and Aimee Cobb, told Williams’ family it would be a team effort to get a bond.

Fourteen days after hearing the request, Houston County Judge Benjamin Lewis set Williams’ bond hearing for Thursday, September 14.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpiddybgt
Back