GUILTY AL - Lauren Burk, 18, Auburn student, abducted & murdered, 4 March 2008

Alabama media are reporting that a person arrested near the Georgia border in Phenix City, Ala., is connected to the high-profile murder of an Auburn University student.

Meanwhile, Auburn police have scheduled a news conference for 10 a.m. Saturday CST. It wasn't immediately clear what new information would be disclosed.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336078,00.html

I hope they did catch him! I will be watching for that presser in the morning! Thanks for letting us know!

I am so glad they were able to make an arrest. I hope they have enough evidence to put him away for life.

I am so glad they were able to make an arrest. I hope they have enough evidence to put him away for life.

Alabama has the death penalty and we use it...if this guy was the triggerman, depending on the circumstances, I would opt for that.

So, was this a robbery? I'm assuming that it must have been since they found something of hers with him. I'm baffled as to why he felt the need to murder her. Also, I'm baffled as to why he would take the time to torch her car. Doesn't that take time when you'd think that he would be fleeing. I wonder if more than one person was involved.

Does seem extreme for a robbery. He could have knocked her over the head and taken what he wanted. It is unusual for him to torch the car.

It almost sounds like a gang initiation of sorts.

Presser about to begin. Local news is saying so far Lockhart is the only suspect. They have confirmed that Lauren was not fully clothed when found but was not sexually assaulted. They are saying absolutely no link between Eve Carson's and Lauren Burk's murders.

OK..presser:

Moment of silence in memory of Lauren Burk.

Have arrested Courtney Lockhart, 23. Chief of police Frank DeGraffenreid speaking. Recognizing task force who helped in investigation, including Columbus, GA and Phenix City, AL PD's. Saying we all grieve with Lauren's family, we are all parents and grandparents here.

Assistant Chief Dawson: heart goes out to Burk family, thoughts and prayers.
Pleased to announce warrants for capital murder, attempted rape, murder during a kidnapping against Lockhart. Capital murder means plans to seek death penalty. apprehended during traffic stop in Phenix City.

Kidnapping and sexual assault makes more sense than a robbery. It sounds like she fought to save herself and is why he shot her. Bless her heart! :(

Lethal Injection is too good for him. Grrrrrr! :furious: :furious:

More people talking but all saying same thing. They have their man and he is going down. People in our county do not stand for sh** like this and there is rarely an acquittal here when the evidence is like this seems to be. My husband said they probably have him on surveillance tape torching her car because where he did it is right in there in the middle of the sorority area on campus.

There are saying they will seek death penalty and will do all they can to give Lockhart a fair trial....but they have a ton of evidence on Lockhart. They do have surveillance photos of him torching the car, it sounds like, b/c they had NASA enhance the photo. Lockhart and Burk did not know each other. They will not confirm that he confessed...they will not say if Burk was stalked or if it was random.

Do not anticipate any further arrests.

Poor little girl. Thank you, God, that they caught this scum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alabama has the death penalty and we use it.......

Unfortunately, the last 2 or 3 scheduled executions in Alabama have received 'stays' from the federal supreme court while the legality of lethal injection is reviewed.

Unfortunately, the last 2 or 3 scheduled executions in Alabama have received 'stays' from the federal supreme court while the legality of lethal injection is reviewed.

Hopefully this one won't.

So much of this is bizarre to me. A non-student wandering campus on a random Tuesday night would stick out. Auburn is a very close-knit community, very small "downtown" area. For the most part, students are easily identifiable. Why would someone from many miles away come all the way to Auburn on a Tuesday night? Trying to score money for drugs? Looking to kidnap someone? I have not seen a photo of the guy yet, but I doubt he was well-dressed, easily blending in. Wish we could learn more details.

So much of this is bizarre to me. A non-student wandering campus on a random Tuesday night would stick out. Auburn is a very close-knit community, very small "downtown" area. For the most part, students are easily identifiable. Why would someone from many miles away come all the way to Auburn on a Tuesday night? Trying to score money for drugs? Looking to kidnap someone? I have not seen a photo of the guy yet, but I doubt he was well-dressed, easily blending in. Wish we could learn more details.

Here's a photograph of him AJ. He's dressed decently. Looks like young men I see on University Of Penn's campus or Drexel.http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_212134860.shtml

I think I saw somewhere that they don't think he's linked to the university, but he could be a current or former student, based on his age. Even with no connection, this and the Eve Carson murder are just horrific - two random murders of college females in relatively safe areas? If I was a parent with a kid in school, I'd be beside myself. What can these kids even do to protect themselves at this point?

Hi Filly - La Salle U. grad and Philly suburbanite here :) .

Greetings, newshound. Penn graduate here. Naw, I'm kidding. Best I did was CCP. LaSalle is a fabulous school. I'm in Philly proper. LOL You know how that goes. Nice to meet you.

I will be more interested to find out if he is in any way associated with the Hoover Crips gang. The hat worn in the NC case appears to be gang related and from the ATM photo looks like there was more than one person involved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley
Back