Found Alive AL - Lisa Theris, 25, Troy, 18 July 2017

I can't imagine it was cold enough to become hypothermic. The lows this time of year for that county are mid-70's.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=ALZ046

Also someone mentioned above about her limited vision. I imagine without vision correction her eyesight is quite poor, but with her contacts I assume she sees fairly well. Why wouldn't she have her contacts in while lost in the woods? Although not wise, lots of people wear their contacts for far longer than recommended because they still work. In her situation I'd do everything possible to keep my contacts in.

It's just odd that they are mentioning her blindness now but it wasn't part of the story when she went missing. I feel like that is an important thing to mention and would have been covered at the same time the family said she had a medical condition.

Do you wear contacts regularly? I assume not because sleeping in contacts is legit terrible. My eyes are dry and tired by the end of the work day; I can't imagine wearing contacts for weeks straight. They probably would have fallen out due to dryness after a few days. Also - I will wear a set of contacts for way longer than they are supposed to be worn, as long as they are in good shape. However that's with me soaking them every night. Keeping them latched to your eyes 24/7 is totally different.

That being said I also find it strange they never mentioned her blindness until now.

Do you wear contacts regularly? I assume not because sleeping in contacts is legit terrible. My eyes are dry and tired by the end of the work day; I can't imagine wearing contacts for weeks straight. They probably would have fallen out due to dryness after a few days. Also - I will wear a set of contacts for way longer than they are supposed to be worn, as long as they are in good shape. However that's with me soaking them every night. Keeping them latched to your eyes 24/7 is totally different.

That being said I also find it strange they never mentioned her blindness until now.
I wear my contacts for over a month straight including while sleeping. Definitely not what my eye doctor would want me to do but it doesn't really cause me any issues.

I wear my contacts for over a month straight including while sleeping. Definitely not what my eye doctor would want me to do but it doesn't really cause me any issues.

ACK!!!! I don't wear contacts but reading this makes my eyes shrivel up lol! Yikes - is that safe? Hygienic? Please be careful!

It could also depend on what sort of contact lenses she wears. I am legally blind without correction and soft contacts do not correct my vision enough, so I wear rigid gas permeable lenses (which are hard plastic). There is no way I would be able to keep them in for a month in the woods. You cannot sleep in RGP's for more than a few hours at the most, and she would have no way to store them or clean/rinse them off.

This scenario is my worst nightmare!

If she was abused and left for dead by those two men -- those dirt bags she was with--- she NEEDS to press charges !!
:moo:

If she was abused and left for dead by those two men -- those dirt bags she was with--- she NEEDS to press charges !!
:moo:

Does anyone know if they are still behind bars or did they bond out? She might be afraid of them if they are free currently. :moo:

Weather underground has a lowest low of 61 one night in August. Mid to low 60's around that time for a few days.
https://www.wunderground.com/histor...reqdb.zip=36079&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

I would imagine low 60's and possibly wet would cause some level of hypothermia. Low blood sugar may have confused her and caused her to strip when her clothes got caught on branches as well.

I used to wear contacts/glasses. The contacts I used really didn't allow me to sleep in them and on the off occasion I did they really hurt and some times they would pop out.

I don't know why this case interest me so much. But there has got to be something going on we don't know. I believe the poor girl has been through a living hell and yet I can't understand how in a month she wouldn't have crossed a road somewhere. We may never know the answers publicly, but I feel like something sinister has happened.

Genuine question - no sarcasm intended.

Can someone legally blind really become a radiology tech? She is a radiology student...

I don't have any insight into what determines a person to be 'legally blind' .
Thx

Can someone legally blind really become a radiology tech? She is a radiology student...

Thx

I'm wondering whether she's truly legally blind or just legally blind without her glasses/contacts. When I had my glasses prescription updated, my optometrist told me I was legally blind without glasses, but with glasses my vision is perfectly fine. True legal blindness is when you can't reach a certain level of vision with prescription glasses and it means you can qualify for disability benefits.

Thx

Why not? Legally blind doesn't mean completely blind (no vision at all). She probably sees well enough to function with the help of some very strong prescription glasses or contacts. Obviously she did not have her glasses or her contacts did not last in the woods (JMO). Other accommodations can also be made for someone who is legally blind but for whom glasses/contact don't make for 20/20 vision. I went to college with someone who was legally blind and she had thick glasses which were strong enough to allow her to see to get around, but even then she still had to have her professors enlarge the font size on her tests so she could read them. The school was required to accommodate her under the Americans with Disabilities Act. With radiology, I imagine it would be easy to enlarge/zoom or get a larger monitor for viewing if she has difficulty seeing the image on the screen.

Thx

I found this because I was curious myself.
http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/legally-blind-meaning
Maybe a bit easier here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_impairment

it says if the vision can be corrected with glasses or contacts you aren't legally blind.

I was 20/175 but my vision could be corrected with glasses and contacts. I could see things up close just fine but couldn't read anything across the room. LASIK fixed it and now 20/20. I was technically blind in one eye when I scratched my cornea, the good eye wouldn't allow for the definition but I didn't drive until I healed. My depth perception was all off.

I'm not sure on the skills for a radiologist. I imagine you would need to be able to see up close. Still after you position someone you would need to be able to see that they remained in that position. At 20/175 without my correction I would have been hard pressed to see.

Maybe they mean she's legally blind without the correction and since doctors can't say otherwise no one can press the issue at the moment. I can't imagine trying to wander around in the woods without my lenses back in the day. Without knowing her exact vision problems it's hard to say. Not sure how the press is pressuring her at the moment. Seems like she's trying really hard to convince people.

I see they have dropped her weight loss to 40 pounds. Easily 10 pounds in water I would think. That makes it 1 pound per day roughly, would need to run the math on that.

I am legally blind in one eye and wear corrective lenses. I work using a computer every day. The glasses really do not help my bad eye.

I have been on the fence pertaining to this young lady but I am off the fence now. I am glad that she is safe, at home and able to recover. It is hard to imagine being lost in AL woods for a month. I got lost in the mountains for 1 day and found my way out (ended up in a residential area). I cannot get pass the photos of her legs.

I am not sure how she slept with all the creatures out in the woods but I am glad she is alive. I have coyotes in my yard at night and I have houses near by. However she slept, I am glad that she made it.

The one thing I have a hard time believing is squeezing her hair for water. Why not hold your mouth open if it is raining?
It is easy to speculate especially when you are not in the same position.

God Bless you Lisa.

It could also depend on what sort of contact lenses she wears. I am legally blind without correction and soft contacts do not correct my vision enough, so I wear rigid gas permeable lenses (which are hard plastic). There is no way I would be able to keep them in for a month in the woods. You cannot sleep in RGP's for more than a few hours at the most, and she would have no way to store them or clean/rinse them off.

This scenario is my worst nightmare!

I just found a new circle of hell. Wearing contacts and not being able to take them out and clean them/put eye drops in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever happened to her she seemed to certainly go through hell and back.

However, I did a quick google maps search and looked at the distance between Mobile, Alabama to Huntsville, Alabama. That's roughly one end of the state in the south to the more northern end. Google maps estimates it would take 4 days 11 hours to walk what is essentially the entire length of the state.

I'm glad she's safe. I don't believe she was out there for 28 days though. But I will state again, I'm glad she's safe now!

Thx

Here's the other thing- being a rad tech does NOT mean 'reading xrays'. Radiologists (physicians do that). Rad techs position patients for the best possible picture, determine the correct exposure for the film/ xray dose. can specialize in CT and MRI and lost more. So while they look at the completed film to make sure it is clear and readable, they do not do the detailed diagnostic part. (Although most of the ones I know are skilled and experienced enough to see 99% of what the docs do.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back