Presumed Located AL - Lorene Virginia Collier, 83, Glencoe, visiting from Florida, 5 Mar 2019

I’m afraid this is her…

Gadsden police Sgt. Marcus Hill said authorities were made aware of the vehicle’s location by citizens who were diving in the river.

At 8:15 a.m. Tuesday, the Etowah County Dive Team began the process of removing the submerged vehicle. Hill said the vehicle is possibly connected to a missing person but did not elaborate.
Car found in Coosa River possibly linked to missing person cold case

Gadsden PD: Recovered vehicle may be connected to missing person cold case

Last edited:
I’m afraid this is her…

Gadsden police Sgt. Marcus Hill said authorities were made aware of the vehicle’s location by citizens who were diving in the river.

At 8:15 a.m. Tuesday, the Etowah County Dive Team began the process of removing the submerged vehicle. Hill said the vehicle is possibly connected to a missing person but did not elaborate.

It's not her. She went missing in 2019. They recovered the vehicle and it is from the 1980s, an older missing person case.

I’m afraid this is her…

Posted 2 hours ago by the Gadsden PD:
“Yesterday morning, our Dive Team was in the cold, fast moving, murky water of the Coosa River attempting to recover a vehicle that was reported missing over 30 years ago.

Chris, Studio445photography (Instagram), located the vehicle while searching the river using sonar equipment.

With the help of Jeremy, https://www.youtube.com/c/exploringwiththenug , they provided the location, which was just behind Summer Waters Apartments.

Clockwise photos: With Gadsden City Hall in the background, the divers prepared to dive.

Certified Public Safety Diver Lieutenant Jon Alred suiting up in his dive gear.

Certified Public Safety Diver Sergeant Jacob Entrekin gets suited up.

Detective Anthony Devine helps Certified Public Safety Diver Officer Colt Gregory suit up for the dive.

Others involved in the operation included Lieutenant Brad Conaway (ECSO), Investigator Stephen Hooks (ECSO), Matthew Robertson, Heath Yates, Richard Johnson and many others, including the Gadsden Fire Department.

The vehicle was encased in mud. The operation will resume at a later date when better conditions permit.

Watching these folks work is extremely impressive.

They deal with the problems and inherent danger of diving in fast moving, zero visibility, water like it is nothing.

Their dedication and professionalism is something to admire.” (BBM)

I wonder who the vehicle belongs to ….

Yes,katzeye,that's the route I was referring to.Its the one everyone takes to go that way.

There are about 4 other routes that I can think of.....but they are really just out of the way and too much trouble to go through.One is the interstate and taking the first exit off it.But she would have to miss the turn off 211 and go a few more miles.Another is up one of the streets in town.Two other ways are dirt roads that go through the woods.All of these routes are really too time consuming and out of the way.And no one really takes those roads to get up the mountain coming from Glencoe.With the exception of the interstate,but that's completely on the other side of town,and she didnt like interstates anyway.

I just have a hard time thinking an elderly woman from out of state would have known those alternate routes.Mostly because the one shown on your map is the one everyone takes.

I"m not sure everyone goes up the backside of the mountain. The other way is straight by Meighan Boulevard (which you would usually travel when leaving Glencoe to get to the top of Lookout Mountain) and then turn at the intersection (across from the 12th street McDonalds) and go up the mountain that way. It is a better road and more traveled than the backside of the mountain. The backside of the mountain is not the safest route. I know of several people who have had wrecks making the U-turn as you go up the backside of the mountain.

If she was disoriented, she could have headed in any direction from Glencoe: Anniston, Piedmont, Hokes Bluff, Southside going toward Birmingham and driven a lot of in other directions. I don't ever remember anyone mentioning that she had dementia.

Maybe she just headed on back to Florida. Lookout Mountain is pretty steep, and it would not be good to be driving it at night (if at all, in this case)! Too bad her cell phone wasn't with her.

The main way up Lookout Mountain is well traveled and not very steep at all.

Do you have a link that says this is Oscar Lewis King's truck that they pulled out of the Coosa River?

No and that is not what the youtube "exploring with nug" said. It said they had been on the Coosa River before in hopes of finding Oscar Lewis King's truck, I did not see any clarification on if they found his truck (that time) or how many times they have come searching this river. I still haven't seen any further updates in MSM on what 30 yr old missing person case has been resolved here!

Almost three years of uncertainty for the family of Virginia Collier may be ending.

Her vehicle was found Wednesday in the Black Creek community. The Etowah County Sheriff’s Office, Glencoe Police Department and Jacksonville State Center for Applied Forensics is investigating the discovery.

Investigators did not say whether Collier's body has been located. Agencies involved with the investigation will have a press conference Friday to provide details of Wednesday's discovery.

...SBM

In the almost three years since Collier went missing, both of her brothers who lived in Etowah County died.

...more at link below

A missing Florida woman's vehicle was found three years after she was reported missing

Almost three years of uncertainty for the family of Virginia Collier may be ending.

Her vehicle was found Wednesday in the Black Creek community. The Etowah County Sheriff’s Office, Glencoe Police Department and Jacksonville State Center for Applied Forensics is investigating the discovery.

Investigators did not say whether Collier's body has been located. Agencies involved with the investigation will have a press conference Friday to provide details of Wednesday's discovery.

...SBM

In the almost three years since Collier went missing, both of her brothers who lived in Etowah County died.

...more at link below

A missing Florida woman's vehicle was found three years after she was reported missing

Black Creek is a far distance from where she was headed. No mention whether her body was found in her car. Either she wanted to visit Black Creek first and something terrible happened, or she got confused and overshot her destination by quite a number of miles, and/or foul play is involved. For the sake of her family and friends, I am glad that her car has finally been found. I'm sorry that her brothers passed away before knowing what happened to her.

https://alabama.hometownlocator.com/al/etowah/black-creek.cfm

Last edited:
From the second article:
“Glencoe Police Chief Kenon McKenzie said that inside the car was Collier’s wallet, which contained her driver’s license. Morgan said that human remains had been found near the car, but have not been positively identified yet, although they believe it to be her.

[SBM]

McKenzie said the area where she was found was outside of where they thought she could’ve been and had not previously searched there beforehand.

[SBM]

At the time, police said Collier did not have her medication with her when she disappeared and that she may have had a condition that could impair her judgment.“
Rest In Peace, Virginia. Condolences to the family. Hugs.

From the second article:
“Glencoe Police Chief Kenon McKenzie said that inside the car was Collier’s wallet, which contained her driver’s license. Morgan said that human remains had been found near the car, but have not been positively identified yet, although they believe it to be her.

[SBM]

McKenzie said the area where she was found was outside of where they thought she could’ve been and had not previously searched there beforehand.

[SBM]

At the time, police said Collier did not have her medication with her when she disappeared and that she may have had a condition that could impair her judgment.“
Rest In Peace, Virginia. Condolences to the family. Hugs.

The area had not been searched because it was (according to LE) 10 to 12 miles north of her destination on Bellevue Drive. It was also stated that she was found in Collinsville or Black Creek Community. I know Collinsville is in DeKalb county and Ms. Collier's destination was on Bellevue in Etowah County. I would guess this is why the area where she was found was not searched. I do not remember hearing that she may have had a condition which would affect her memory until now. I could have missed it at some point.

I am very sorry for the way she died. I hope it was quick. Prayers for her family and her friends.

Rabbit hunters on Wednesday about 9:40 a.m. discovered near Collinsville the blue Kia Optima belonging to Lorene Virginia Collier, almost three years to the day since she went missing.

The car was found off Scroug Out Drive near Tabor Road north of Gadsden.

Glencoe Police Chief Kenon McKenzie said the car was found about 12 miles from the area where search parties looked for Collier three years ago, and 10 miles from her brother’s residence.

When Collier went missing, McKenzie said, the property had been clear cut and would have been accessible. However, damage to the Kia Optima indicated that the car had been driven until it was damaged.

“No one would have thought she was going there,” McKenzie said.

After hunters notified authorities, investigators with the Etowah County Sheriff’s Office, along with investigators from Glencoe and members of the Black Creek Fire Dept. checked out the vehicle.

A human skull was located, along with bones, clothes, and a purse. Collier’s Florida driver’s license was inside.

Bones found near recovered car likely Florida woman missing since 2019, Alabama police say

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back