Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as finding the body by tracking her cell phone...
If her location services were on before her phone lost power, YES...they could get that info from her family and track her to the exact long/lat.
But if attempting to track her by a ping, it is not very accurate. A ping gives a 1-3 mile radius of the phone's location. So even if the phone were buried with her it would not give them an exact location. I personally think it is more probable that someone with knowledge of the burial site was involved in helping LE.
Here is a map of all cell towers surrounding Hueytown within a 2 mile radius.

This is precisely why I think it’s a possibility they had an idea of the general area but not the exact location, moo, because they didn’t go straight to the house. It seems they were canvassing/searching other areas nearby the day before? If it was a ping, maybe it wasn’t from “her” phone. Who knows, just a thought. Like I said I’m scared to post anything these days.

Last edited:
Does anyone else find it puzzling, that LE's only witness is surveillance from bar cameras in a deep south city/and state of Alabama, of a Caucasian female ending up in the company of 2 'large' black men and there has been no mention of 'people watchers,' in a bar crowd at a predominately Caucasian bar that could slightly, nevertheless state a detailed description of these 2 large black males. Bartender? Bouncers? Is Paighton so non distinguished, non descriptive, that no possible single male in a bar of all places took any notice or interest in Paighton, enough to notice her company? IMO these men did not exist.
It's possible she was spotted & LE eventually learned who they were. LE does not necessarily inform the public what they know. Usually they keep things quiet to not tip off suspects.

(Yeah I’m scared to even post anymore these days. I’m sure I’ll come around with time. It’s funny because someone sent me a PM asking my take on a case where a woman was missing and the husband was “speaking out”. I was like, “Are you kidding me? I’m done with those cases. No more cases where the husband or boyfriend is “speaking out”. My hinky meter is clearly broken.”

However, I’m feeling a new-found type of “freedom” as a websleuther with this new approach. Facts only. Not a single opinion. I did state one opinion upstream in response to a question re: disposal, but I used the disclaimer “my armchair opinion”.)

I feel the same. It really helped me come to the realization that individuals can make poor choices, have dysfunctional relationships, give "bad" press interviews, etc, & still be completely uninvolved in a kidnapping and/or murder.

I feel the same. It really helped me come to the realization that individuals can make poor choices, have dysfunctional relationships, give "bad" press interviews, etc, & still be completely uninvolved in a kidnapping and/or murder.

(Heidi’s case was one hell of an eye opener and I hope we don’t forget about it and keep those lessons fresh in our minds as we approach other cases.)

I only think OD because of her addiction history and the fact that the police referred to this as a death investigation. If there had been signs of strangulation, beating, shooting, etc - I believe they would have called it a homicide investigation. This all leads me to believe that she died from “natural” causes.

Of course there’s also the possibility that she was drugged without her consent.

It's possible she was spotted & LE eventually learned who they were. LE does not necessarily inform the public what they know. Usually they keep things quiet to not tip off suspects.

But, LE is and continued reporting and informing the general public that there is no evidence of 2 large black men having been at the bar.

How much do y’all think the reward money comes into play on getting someone to come forward? I know it’s enticing, but in the AB case someone mentioned reward money going from large amount to smaller amounts as time goes to encourage people to come forward early. The money going up seems to encourage people to wait until money is big. But doesn’t it really work? In what percentage of cases? Is there a magic number? TIA

Trussville PD released the following statement:
"On 1/2/2020 Detectives with the Trussville Police Department along with investigators with the Metro Area Crime Center developed information on a possible location for the remains of Paighton Houston. That information was shared with the Birmingham Police Department and Investigators arrived on scene and discovered what appeared to be a shallow grave. Law enforcement secured the area and a search was conducted this morning (1/3/2020) in which human remains were located behind a residence on Chapel Dr. Those remains have been identified as Paighton Houston. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Houston family as they begin the grieving process.

Snip

The sheriff's office shared this statement Friday night:

"On Thursday January 2, 2020 information developed by investigators working the missing persons case of 29 year old Paighton Houston led them to a home on Chapel Drive in Hueytown. Investigators from the Birmingham Police Department, Trussville Police Department, Jefferson County Sheriff Office and Hueytown Police Department worked together to narrow down the possible location of the body of Paighton Houston. On January 3, 2020, Investigators executed a search warrant at the home and located human remains on the property. Those remains were transported to the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office and later identified as the remains of Paighton Houston. The examination is not complete and there has been no determination of the manner and cause of death. The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office will be continuing this investigation and prosecution will be through the Bessemer Division of Jefferson County."
Missing Trussville woman's body found buried in Hueytown

BBM

Some sort of premeditated murder makes the most sense to me, yet at the same time, it makes no sense to me. I mean, what’s the motive?

I was thinking the same thing a few days ago, the only thing I could come up with was a man they were both interested in or being coworkers both wanting to move up in the company they work for, (both applying for the same position) Some people are so evil.

I only think OD because of her addiction history and the fact that the police referred to this as a death investigation. If there had been signs of strangulation, beating, shooting, etc - I believe they would have called it a homicide investigation. This all leads me to believe that she died from “natural” causes.

A “death investigation” is common lingo in the early stages of an investigation, moo. Some/most LE simply will not comment on the specifics until the ME has ruled the MOD as “homicide”, and rightly so. Also, due to decomposition, external injuries may not necessarily be clearly visible. LE will want to be very meticulous with their facts, and not jump to any conclusions until the autopsy is complete and the findings have been released. Moo.

Last edited:
I think I'm the only one left on this thread that believes the story about her leaving with 2 men.

You're not. There's literally no reason to think otherwise beyond police stating that no one matching the description was seen in the security footage. I think it's the same old story of people having too much confidence in technology. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Cameras are not everywhere and there are people who can and do avoid them.

The "tip" leading to the body came from old fashioned police work. The initial clue was from technology, probably fresher technology than dusting for prints, but the tip was from someone who came to believe they personally had less to lose from disclosing it than from not. It might have been one of her friends but transporting the body 15 miles and burying it in the back yard of an empty house isn't the kind of thing accidental criminals usually do.

If y'all want something to stay busy with look for connections between the property and persons of interest but in my opinion only its probably just a vacant house that was spotted by the local hustlers and used for various shady purposes.

I’ll admit I’ve only been superficially following this case and am trying to catch up here. I guess I’m the dunce in the room right now with the little I know. But I will say that when this case first broke and the story came out of her leaving with two black men, my first thought was way back to Susan Smith who drowned her children but tried to claim a black man had carjacked them. A diversionary story to distract from what really happened. The question then is who spun the diversionary tale.
Just my thoughts, less of an opinion. It might change after I read up on things more.

last night. That may indicate an effort by family to keep intruders out.
Seattle News, Weather, Traffic & Sports | KIRO-TV
per this news article, it quotes Lynneice Washington, district attorney for Jefferson County’s Bessemer Cutoff Division, as stating that they found the location based on multiple tips.
1. Either there were sightings of known persons she was with at this and other search locations.
2. someone with direct knowledge of the crime reported it. Possibly someone who was with her earlier in the night but may not have actually committed the crime.
3. Persons not involved that saw someone digging at one or more of the searched locations.
no necessarily related to the crime in any way. Also not necessarily only one person who may have saw something they thought was strange.
4. Person or persons who know the person who put her there who may have thought they were acting, or saying things that made others feel as though they may have something to do with it.
I have read several comments that refer to the house as a "crack house, or trap house". I would venture a guess that probably not. The house across the street looks occupied. The previous resident, per neighbors lived there until only a couple of months ago. I would be confident to venture a guess that whoever put her there was familiar with the house. Not to say that they lived there but was entimately familiar with the home, such that they felt comfortable there and did not think anyone would be living there any time soon. A relative of homeowner, or friend of someone who lived there at some point. (for example)
The home owner's family may have discovered disturbed earth at the house and reported it. The location may have intersected with other information related to friends ... [edit: probably not since LE didn't go straight to the house.]
That picture showing all of the mess in the back yard, I wonder when it was taken. I don't see the disturbed earth. Maybe that trash was piled on top of the grave to help hide it.
Also, moving a body, digging the grave, etc., if it was done by an individual female, she would have to be pretty strong, IMO.

I am not aware of this. I thought they only said they were not seen on surveillance. In fact LE was asking for help in identifying them.
The several reports I have read that were dropped by LE, seemed, imo, to deeply focus and highlight the point that they have no conclusive evidence or descriptions of these 2 large black males. I could be wrong, but I feel they would have had some immediate clues, from bar patrons who noticed and could slightly describe these 2 large black males, if only to state the color of their shirts.

Everybody seems focused on the time lapse of the friend receiving the text and how long it took to notify her parents. Whether she was asleep or not, etc. That's not the suspicious part to me. The suspicious part is that we are supposed to believe that PH left with 2 men at 10:45 and well over an hour LATER, she texts and she STILL doesn't know who she's with? Bull. IF she did indeed leave with 2 guys there is no way over an hour later she still didn't even know their names, or what kind of car she was in, or where she was, etc. I call 100% BS on that text being from PH and I'm thinking that sentence texted, at that time,is what is going to be the undoing of the perp.

Still trying to catch up here but I wonder, if the person who hurt/buried her did send that text, why?
Why would a person with hurtful motives, send a text to someone from her phone, warning the person that PH might be in danger? Almost seems like a brazen, catch me if you can sort of thing. It makes more sense to send a lying text that said something like "having a great time, see you in a few days" or something more misleading like that (which actually does happen, we've all followed cases I'm sure). I suppose phone company records of PH's phone as well as the friend's phone who received this text, would clear this up a little? (I realize I may have missed something, I've tried to read all the posts & articles but there's a lot to catch up on).

I do think there's a problem with the co-worker's story, could be because she herself was under the influence and doesn't have a clear memory or maybe she was covering for PH at first and didn't tell the complete story until she realized that this was really serious or maybe she does know more that she's telling. I can't say more because of WS TOS but if you read other places you'll understand what I'm not saying.

Of course that's what the problem is. Peighton's friends probably have covered for her so many times it's second nature to them and yeah in the crucial first days they may have even obstructed justice not because they themselves were complicit in her death but because they still assumed she was alive "on a bender" and were trying to shield her and her compatriots from the law. The one who called Peighton's mom was clearly concerned on the first morning but probably others were not and at that point there were incomplete and/or conflicting statements.

This is how party culture is. Grasp it. If you or someone you love is currently part of this culture, know the risks.

I have worked in the transportation industry for almost 30 years. In my position, Maybe, but even that's a stretch. In theirs (PH and co workers) Highly unlikely that someone would go to these lengths for a promotion. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCPstudy