Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the text is exactly as is seems. She sensed something was off and wanted to make sure someone was aware. I don't think there is much else to read into. Did she eventually try to call that friend? (Not sure if I missed it, this thread has been going so fast) If she did and the friend didn't answer, than leads me to one scenario. If she did not try to make contact with anyone after that, the situation could have escalated before she could react/defend herself/call for help. I'm just trying to think what is the most logical. All MOO, of course.

I guess that’s possible. But I don’t know. Wouldn’t that person know that someone could’ve seen them leaving the bar? And why not add more detail like, “I met these two guys and they said they’d give me a ride. But they’re acting weird and I’m starting to feel afraid.” Something that actually makes it clear she’s with strangers and not a friend or associate?
Well, she directly says she doesn't know the people she is with, so that seems pretty clear they were framed as strangers.

Just the whole phrasing in the text message is weird to me. It overexplains but without saying anything of substance and it doesn't seem like someone texting in a hurry and the phrasing is odd.

I think it is possible the people PH was with at the bar thought they were strangers because they didn't know them. But that doesn't mean that PH didn't know them, and she may well have told the people she left with that. And they may have been people she didn't want people to know she knew--and I don't mean that as a criticism toward her. Not everyone you hang out with is necessarily someone you want to advertise to your family, your coworkers, or even some of your other friends. So, just being seen with her doesn't mean other people know she knew them.

I'm not entirely ruling out PH sent the text message or that she was with strangers, but just something about that text message has never set right with me.

Based on her text I don’t understand why there’s such strong speculation that she died of an overdose. Just having a drug history isn’t enough for me.

I’ve found that people looking to get high with hard drugs are pretty single minded. They’re focused. Not nervous. This text makes it seem like she left with a couple of predators.

Also, how did they find the body? Did someone talk?
I'm not convinced of the OD theory but it seems plausible because:
1. Her substance use history combined with being in a bar setting may have triggered a relapse
2. Her family discussing how frequently she checked in throughout the day (when arrived at work, lunch, leaving,etc) raises questions about where she may still be in the recovery process (personally, we start to notice clear signs when my SIL is trending toward relapse and family tends to increase oversight and check ins)
3. No surveillance video of the alleged 2 black men
4. If the men did exist, friend reported she left willingly at 10:45 p.m. Perhaps it was a drug deal with folks not very known to PH and she realized she was in danger (assuming she sent the text, which I doubt)
5. Her family stated she was planning to go out with coworkers for live music. The band started at 10:30 and she reportedly left by 10:45, coworker was home and asleep by midnight. Could the live music story have been a cover for her family as to why she was in bham but there were other plans all along?
6. LE has indicated they found nothing on video to assist in their investigation. Did they even see her on video? If so, why not release that footage? No known photos have surfaced from the night with her in them at the bar (with friends, in background of other photos, etc) and no witnesses have come forward publicly to say they saw her or the alleged men
7. LE has not released a more detailed description or attempted sketch of the alleged black men (i.e. what they were wearing,etc) asking for the public's help in locating these men.

IMO the text is exactly as is seems. She sensed something was off and wanted to make sure someone was aware. I don't think there is much else to read into. Did she eventually try to call that friend? (Not sure if I missed it, this thread has been going so fast) If she did and the friend didn't answer, than leads me to one scenario. If she did not try to make contact with anyone after that, the situation could have escalated before she could react/defend herself/call for help. I'm just trying to think what is the most logical. All MOO, of course.
My understanding is that last contact was the text message and she never called the friend. The friend called her in the morning and went straight to voicemail.

Weird case starting from the text to the finding of the body in way that had to be more people with her even if od that it can very well be what happened the way the body was found leads to believe someone tried to hide the body but until an autopsy and get cause of death guess it's all speculation not sure been posted yet but there's article with some photos and it says that there was some tenths in the location leads me to believe it was probably place of drug users but just my opinion

Body found in shallow grave in Hueytown yard identified as Paighton Houston

Why would someone involved in either her death or in covering up her death (meaning they didn’t want to get caught) send a highly concerning text that would immediately alert the recipient to the situation and cause people to start looking and examining what happened?

That doesn’t make sense.

We’ve seen texts from other people using victim’s phones. They’re never like that. They’re always meant to deflect attention and alarm. Not to cause it.
Someone who was not thinking very clearly and in panic mode. Someone attempting to connect the dots to the alleged 2 black men she left with. Moo

100% agree. It makes no sense. Usually the texts sent by a person other than the victim are meant to stall for time or deflect. Not cause alarm.

Jumping off this, perhaps the crime was already committed, and the intent was to deflect by implicating someone else? That’s why I was asking about how long after she left the bar that the text was sent.

Jumping off this, perhaps the crime was already committed, and the intent was to deflect by implicating someone else? That’s why I was asking about how long after she left the bar that text was sent.
My understanding is the text message was sent a bit after midnight, so well over an hour after she left the bar.

Still trying to catch up here but I wonder, if the person who hurt/buried her did send that text, why?
Why would a person with hurtful motives, send a text to someone from her phone, warning the person that PH might be in danger? Almost seems like a brazen, catch me if you can sort of thing. It makes more sense to send a lying text that said something like "having a great time, see you in a few days" or something more misleading like that (which actually does happen, we've all followed cases I'm sure). I suppose phone company records of PH's phone as well as the friend's phone who received this text, would clear this up a little? (I realize I may have missed something, I've tried to read all the posts & articles but there's a lot to catch up on).
Person(s) who texted was in CYA mode.
We have seen it in other cases where the perp makes texts to family members and friends after the fact.

100% agree. It makes no sense. Usually the texts sent by a person other than the victim are meant to stall for time or deflect. Not cause alarm.

Every case I've ever followed, where the perp sent the text pretending to be the victim, the text was never alarming or really remarkable at all. Other than maybe using a phrase or spelling a word wrong that the victim would never use or misspell. I suppose this case might be the exception, but I tend to doubt it.

moo & all the various & assorted disclaimers :)

Yes. She left bar at 10:45 and sent text at 12:15. Reportedly (don’t remember where I read this) her friend was already asleep and missed the text.

Ok that there is a LOT of time. Enough time for the crime to already have occurred. Let me provide a good example of this of a case I just read about last night. Looking for link and will post here as an ETA.

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned, but if in trouble, wouldn’t you give a location of some sort? Or a first name? Or vehicle description? This is something I’ve done in the past when I’ve had car trouble and wasn’t sure my car would make it, etc. At least a street name, or some sort of identifiable factor? If it was her who sent the text, why did she leave out other information if she really thought she could be in trouble? I know that I have sent info about my uber drivers, etc. if I felt uncomfortable.

ETA: I see @Momma2cam just mentioned something similar.

The thing is, if I were going to text a friend for backup at that time of night, I would call if I didn't get a text back.

Because the whole point is to tell the friend to be ready to answer her phone immediately and act, not ignore it until morning. If she didn't respond to the text, PH couldn't be sure she hadn't already fallen asleep or silenced her phone for the night, so she wouldn't be answering any phone messages, no matter how urgent.

Though I understand your concern, it can be very hard to protect an adult from themselves.

This reminds me of a time I went to a dance club with co workers. Most left early. I was tired and don't like dance clubs.

A female co-worker was then befriended by a trio of Hispanic men. They spoke little English. My friend, though hispanic, did not speak Spanish. I am white, but speak Spanish.

The trio gave me vaguely bad vibes:
- Switched from profanity amongst themselves to politeness when speaking to my co worker.
- "Evaluated" women at the club using demeaning terms in Spanish.

Anyways, my co worker wanted to stay. Staying met more contact with these men. I could not find the others we came with. I explained to her my concerns about them. She just nodded and said "Ok".

I was worried, but nothing bad happened. I could have stayed longer, but in the end, when an adult says they want to do "X", in most circumstances, there is little a friend can do.

True. I think women can and should make pacts with one another though to not leave with strangers. And not allow others to take them off somewhere. Back in the day when I went out more with single friends that’s what I did.

I also never leave my drink unattended and cover it when I’m in a crowd.

Who she left with should be easy to determine I think?

Every case I've ever followed, where the perp sent the text pretending to be the victim, the text was never alarming or really remarkable at all. Other than maybe using a phrase or spelling a word wrong that the victim would never use or misspell. I suppose this case might be the exception, but I tend to doubt it.

moo & all the various & assorted disclaimers :)
IMO this may not be a typical "perp". If it was an unintentional accident gone wrong that lead to intense panic and worry, I could see someone sending a text to support whatever cover story one quickly surmised. The intent would be for the same purpose as the "non alarming" texts in that it takes eyes off of what really may have occurred and who was involved and directs attention elsewhere. MOO

Person(s) who texted was in CYA mode.
We have seen it in other cases where the perp makes texts to family members and friends after the fact.
Indeed it does happen, but the perp doesn't alert the receiver intentionally. They attempt to assure the receiver all is well. The whole point is to stall for time so there is no worry about the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NorCalGurl72