AL AL - Titus, Fem Skeletal 663UFAL, 30-40, shallow grave, bound in green tarp, Jul'07

chicoliving

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
TITUS, Ala. -- Elmore County authorities are trying to identify a body found bound in a tarp and buried in a shallow grave at Lake Jordan.

~snip~

Authorities have not determined if the remains are those of Tracy Kegley, an Elmore County woman who was reported missing almost ten years ago.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13737422/detail.html

LAKE JORDAN -- A property owner in the Titus area made a grisly discovery Sunday morning when he found human remains bound in a tarp and buried in a shallow grave.

The man, who isn't a suspect in the case, called the authorities about 10 a.m., said Elmore County Sheriff Bill Franklin.

"We haven't been able to ascertain the race, sex or how long the remains have been there," Franklin said. "But they have obviously been there for a long time. Once it was confirmed that there was remains, we stopped what we were doing and contacted forensics. We wanted to preserve any evidence that may be inside the tarp."

~snip~

The shallow grave was about 18 inches deep and 5 to 6 feet long. It was about 40 feet from the water, the sheriff said. It appears the body had been wrapped inside the tarp, and then a small rope was used to tie the tarp around the body.

The remains didn't appear to include any clothing or shoes, he said.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070723/NEWS/707230313/1001

This is very near me but I'd never heard of Tracy Kegley. I need to do a missing persons search from the adjoining counties and see who else comes up. I wonder why this sheriff can say he doesn't think it's Tracy?

Hopefully, they can determine who she is and return her home to her waiting family. Bless their hearts. It was a long wait.

This is very near me but I'd never heard of Tracy Kegley. I need to do a missing persons search from the adjoining counties and see who else comes up. I wonder why this sheriff can say he doesn't think it's Tracy?

He didn't say he doesn't think it's Tracy, he said that they had "...not determined if the remains are those of Tracy Kegley".

Being bones, they'll have to identify by dental or DNA...

He didn't say he doesn't think it's Tracy, he said that they had "...not determined if the remains are those of Tracy Kegley".

Being bones, they'll have to identify by dental or DNA...

He said he told Tracy's father "he didn't think it was Tracy."

Hi
Yes,Please keep us posted on this.Especially how long the remains had been there.Can someone please post a link to a map of the area and what it is near?

suzanne

Video at the link....titled Exclusive: Elmore County sheriff on the record about buried body.

http://www.wsfa.com/

Don't think its Tracy but not saying why not. Said growing evidence leans toward it not being Tracy. Montgomery County also very interested in this as they have missing persons.
Skeletal remains had been covered in lime. Saying its possible that the body was buried elsewhere then moved to this location.

No obvious signs of blunt force trauma....ID will come from dental records possibly tonight.

I'm sure there are families in the area with someone missing who are awaiting her return. God bless them!!!

Chico, thanks for the update, I haven't had a chance to check anything in the last couple days or watch the local news here for any new info. I would bet that Montgomery County is also very anxious b/c Montgomery always has several missing people and Lake Jordan/Elmore County is right next door to them. We are about 2 counties away but in the same area of the state.

Video at the link....titled Exclusive: Elmore County sheriff on the record about buried body.

http://www.wsfa.com/

Don't think its Tracy but not saying why not. Said growing evidence leans toward it not being Tracy. Montgomery County also very interested in this as they have missing persons.
Skeletal remains had been covered in lime. Saying its possible that the body was buried elsewhere then moved to this location.

No obvious signs of blunt force trauma....ID will come from dental records possibly tonight.

Makes me think there may be some evidence with the body that it is likely male...maybe some clothing or something....if they can say it's probably not Tracy.

Makes me think there may be some evidence with the body that it is likely male...maybe some clothing or something....if they can say it's probably not Tracy.

Leigh, I think they said it was a female because of the size and the earlier report said no shoes or clothing. The lime put on the body shows that whoever did this really didn't want any evidence to be forthcoming.

Leigh, I think they said it was a female because of the size and the earlier report said no shoes or clothing. The lime put on the body shows that whoever did this really didn't want any evidence to be forthcoming.

Oh, duh...ok. That's right. And yes, I thought that, too, about the lime. I do wonder why they are so certain it's not Tracy.

Oh, duh...ok. That's right. And yes, I thought that, too, about the lime. I do wonder why they are so certain it's not Tracy.

That part has me stumped too. Without forensics then they can't be sure how long the person has been deceased unless the tarp she was wrapped in had some sort of marking that identified the year.

30-year old Tracey Kegley vanished some 10 years ago but there is growing evidence the skeleton found in a shallow grave on the eastern side of Lake Jordan is not her.

"Some things have come out that would indicate it's not her," said Elmore County Sheriff Bill Franklin.

~snip~

The sheriff says they are fairly certain the remains are those of a female, average height but it's still unclear how old she was. The skeleton was covered with 3 inches of lime and early indications are the body had been there for at least 5 years.

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=6834547

I'm not real familar with how lime works, but is it possible the body has been in the tarp less than 5 years and only appears to be that old because the lime has "sped" up the process?

Any chance this could be Lisa Stiebeck? In a tarp, where no will find her? Would lime eventually destroy the bones?

Salem

I'm not real familar with how lime works, but is it possible the body has been in the tarp less than 5 years and only appears to be that old because the lime has "sped" up the process?

Any chance this could be Lisa Stiebeck? In a tarp, where no will find her? Would lime eventually destroy the bones?

Salem

Who is Lisa Stiebeck, Salem?

Salem

I did some research on the effect of lime on human decomposition but couldn't find much. One paper I read suggested that lime was to be used as a preservative in burial but didn't have an immense effect, using buried piglets at different levels and it wasn't a good trial test.

So, my alternative theory on this is smell. We used to have a house with basement crawlspace that was always dank. Lime was used to take away the dank smell and it was applied at a very thick level. The body must have been in an advanced state of decomposition but the assailants were worried about it being found so they had to move it. This suggests to me that the body was moved a considerable distance due to the amount of lime inside the tarp. If someone was traveling with a decomposing body it would be hard to avoid the odor so other methods would/could be employed.

According to a webpage I read recently:
Lime will aide in the decomposition of the flesh and in time will make the bones become like thin brittle eggshell material that can easily be crushed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back