Alcala photos discussion thread - latest updates, news, questions

Isn't Griffith Park right near Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale? (that's where I've been looking at statues where the girl in the yellow shorts is posing.) Griffith Park also has an observatory, and I read somewhere here that he said he liked taking girls high up where he could see the lights.

I'll look at the proximity Billy. That is good work you are doing with the statues and posing.

Yes, I posted he told his cellie he liked to go where he could see the lights and also water towers. I linked it further up in the thread.

Ten minutes, Billy. I think I have the right one.

http://www.hollywoodusa.co.uk/MemorialParks/hollywoodhillsforestlawn.htm

Griffith Park seem like an ideal location for creepery. I never felt comfortable going to large parks with a vast area of hilly, vegetation everywhere! If it was just me a a few friends we made sure we were near other groups or we left. Remember there is one girl that was found in 1968 in Griffith Park at a picnic bench and she was passed and wearing a bikini in the early a.m. They think it was an OD. I always thought maybe she met up with Alcala for photos and he drugged her and he OD'ed her by accident.:detective:

Holy heck. He was all about bikinis. You may be onto something there, SoCal.

All this vegetation, hills, shrubs is foreign to me. I'm West Coast. No creepery here. You're more likely to get shot in the crossfire from some drug deal gone bad or someone dissed somebody in school or something. We do have some really large wooded parks but no way, no how, uh-uh I don't even jog past them.

So sad for the bikini girl.

This keeps bugging me, but I see the slightest resemblance between Alcala himself and Richard Boldon, last seen August 19, 1971 in Los Angeles. (Alcala was arrested August 12, 1971.)

Their noses look different but the eyebrows and most of the rest of the face look alike to me. I wish there was more information about the circumstances of Boldon's disappearance; I can't find anything in Google Archive Search.

Note that there's a typo on Charley Project and Boldon would have been 39, not 49, when he disappeared.

http://primewriter.com/news-1246-headlines/wp-content/uploads/Rodney-Alcala.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/boldon_richard.html

Griffith Park seem like an ideal location for creepery. I never felt comfortable going to large parks with a vast area of hilly, vegetation everywhere! If it was just me a a few friends we made sure we were near other groups or we left. Remember there is one girl that was found in 1968 in Griffith Park at a picnic bench and she was passed and wearing a bikini in the early a.m. They think it was an OD. I always thought maybe she met up with Alcala for photos and he drugged her and he OD'ed her by accident.:detective:

I was wondering the same thing, could she have died on him before he got to torture her alive as was his MO? Who knows, she may have been his first victim.

Anyway, I have written to the coroner in that case to try to get a Cause of Death and Estimated Time of Death, as there is none listed. If they respond, I will be posting it over on the Griffith Park thread.

I'm not trying to be snarky here and this was the only thread I figured to put this. There seems to be speculation that some of these pics are of people that are obviously murdered, such as head and neck injury, blood spots, blown pupils ect...
I thought we kind of established that LE would not likely release photos where there is obvious trauma to victims or they are being "hung up" or whatever....
Can someone refresh my memory? And if you think they would do that?

I'm not trying to be snarky here and this was the only thread I figured to put this. There seems to be speculation that some of these pics are of people that are obviously murdered, such as head and neck injury, blood spots, blown pupils ect...
I thought we kind of established that LE would not likely release photos where there is obvious trauma to victims or they are being "hung up" or whatever....
Can someone refresh my memory? And if you think they would do that?

Best guess is they're leaving out the easy-to-spot cases but some others slipped through. The one picture where lots of people are seeing blood and possibly other injuries is the man/woman "hanging"/"doing a backbend." It takes a lot of magnification and careful looking to spot the scary stuff. The total picture also sets off alarm bells for some people right away, but not for everyone.

Who knows what "they're" (the authorities) doing but they certainly seem to be handling this quite badly. It's quite arrogant of them to appeal to the public for help and then feel comfortable no longer communicating with them. Kind of like, let's just throw this out there; without any pr attention to the fallout. Beh. Not a great precident they've set.

JMO

Has anybody else noticed that the last batch of photos on the WPIX includes 23 photos of the night club girls. How much thought went into that?

What astonishes me is that of the pictures they have released, very few have come forward to identify themselves, and yet the media seems disinterested in finding out why. People Magazine is the only mag/newspaper that has really showed any interest in presenting a story about those who have come forward. (We're not asking for a story from them, though I'm sure LE is, so maybe they're all embarrassed.) Or, maybe they're all dead. Point is, I believe I counted 80 something different people in the 215 that were released. Last I read, only 21 people have been even IDENTIFIED, by anyone. LE says they have 1,000 pictures; they can't all be of the same 80 something people can they? These pictures have been pretty well distributed for only 21 people to have been identified. Where's the media on this? Have they been told to cool it?

About the question of releasing photos of someone who seems to be wounded/bleeding -take the hanging/back bend person.. Some of the photos really confuse me, the first one that comes to mind is that photo.

Why would they release that photo? What was the purpose? They say they need help finding who these people are so what does the back bend photo show us? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

The persons face is nearly completely covered and there is nothing in the background that could help us figure out where they were, or give any sort of clue (other than knowing what sort of trees are in the background) - just the very idea that people are having to go back and forth with the gender of this person is ludacris. If they needed to edit that photo, knowing that there was only a tiny bit of information we could get from it, couldnt they have at the very least noted that this was a female/male? Its just strange to me that they would release a photo where someone is upside down and has 80% of their face covered yet crop Alcala out of a photo with a little girl.

It just seems if they want our help they wouldnt seemingly make it as difficult as possible for us to help them.

I have to say Im completely dumbfounded at this point with how they are handling this situation, pardon me if I sound pissy I just have questions.

1) What stopped them from releasing these photos (or otherwise trying to indentify) these photos 40 years ago when they found them? It appears that the only thing that made them look into figuring out who was in these photos was Alcala obsessively trying to get them back. At first I thought it must have just been because they assumed the photos were just photos he had taken that were innocent, but after learning that a lot of the photos were of sexual acts with underage people as well as people that are wounded. Wouldnt they want to figure out who the people were then, while anyone in those photos could be fresh in people's minds?

2) Since they have to edit the photos couldnt they have make sure we at the very least know the gender of the person in the photo (since of course they have to know if the person is male/female) so that we dont have to spend time that we could be trying to find these people instead of having to look at the photos for ages just to find out what gender we need to be searching for?

3) Couldnt they at the very least let us know when they have found the identy of a person so that we can stop looking? They dont need to tell us any sensitive information, simply that we no longer need to focus on that photo?

I dont know, It just rubs me the wrong way that it seems like they are making a hard situation even harder with how they handle things, for instance the 'communion' girl photo - the original was cropped which made us wonder why it would have been cropped, then a new set of photos were released and it was Alcala holding the girl. Of course in that case its not that big of a deal but it did leave me frustrated when thinking of all the other photos because it seems theres no rhyme nor reason behind what they crop out. Also, some of these photos seem very much like family events, like the communion girl photo.. It seems very likely the little girl knows him, Could they not have looked within his family to make sure they werent listing a photo of a little girl that was just his family member?

I guess I just wish they would help us help them. There is already a ton of mystery in all these photos and then withholding information when theres no reason for it, such as letting us to know the gender if they had to crop the photo.

Well said, Punklove. This whole situation has been poorly handled by LE.

What astonishes me is that of the pictures they have released, very few have come forward to identify themselves, and yet the media seems disinterested in finding out why. People Magazine is the only mag/newspaper that has really showed any interest in presenting a story about those who have come forward. (We're not asking for a story from them, though I'm sure LE is, so maybe they're all embarrassed.) Or, maybe they're all dead. Point is, I believe I counted 80 something different people in the 215 that were released. Last I read, only 21 people have been even IDENTIFIED, by anyone. LE says they have 1,000 pictures; they can't all be of the same 80 something people can they? These pictures have been pretty well distributed for only 21 people to have been identified. Where's the media on this? Have they been told to cool it?

The best medium for these photos and coverage are newspapers and magazines. But if there is no obvious local angle, no newspaper is going to expend terribly limited resources to cover it. I also wonder if the media is having a tough time getting good info out of LE. This whole case is like banging your head into a wall.

I wonder if they are that interested in opening cold cases.

I also wonder if the media is having a tough time getting good info out of LE. This whole case is like banging your head into a wall.

Good point, I hadnt thought of that - if we are finding it hard to get any sort of 'new' or helpful info out of LE Im sure reporters/magazines are getting much either.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/alcala-230214-murder-photo.html

An interesting article on how Alcala behaved during court.

"I couldn't see Alcala's facial expressions, but if the past is a guide, he's generally nonplussed at the mention of even the most heinous allegations. He busies himself writing notes or looking through the file box sitting on a chair next to him. He was wearing a tan suit, blue shirt and a necktie, loosely tied."

Sorry for another post but I just read an article that I wanted to share..

http://www.laweekly.com/content/printVersion/833085
And, in the past at least, he had the support of women in his Monterey Park–based family. His mother provided Alcala $10,000 in bail after he was arrested for the rape of a teenager decades ago, and Huntington Beach detectives suspect another female family member of trying to hide a receipt to Alcala's secret locker in Seattle, where detectives found "trophy" earrings they say were taken from his alleged murder victims.

So that means that his 'family' had access to the locker and could have removed items from it? Its a really scary thing to think his family had to KNOW what he was up to and did NOTHING!

Had either of these women had once OUNCE of concern for human life they should have told on him the very moment that they figured out what was going on! So, he rapes someone and his mom bails him out? He has a locker filled with photos of people that are being raped and in distress, underage people hes having sex with and according to LE 2 photos where they think the person is DEAD and they think the right thing to do is hide the receipt for the locker so nobody finds it????

I dont know about anyone else but what they did seriously should be criminal, at what point does your brother/son ask you to hide a reciept for a locker and you do so? It would be quite obvious that he was hiding something damning in there or why else would he tell them to hide it? Im seriously just so disgusted and I wonder what else they have helped him hide? If they were willing to hide the locker I wonder what else they helped him cover up?

On another note:
http://wiki.ocregister.com/Orange_County/People/Jill_Parenteau

"Detectives also learned that Alcala was seen dancing with Parenteau at a local bar a few days before she was killed."

Thanks Punklove!

I have thought the same way as you ever since more details emerged!

That family definately knew more than they let on and aided a sick monster!

Makes me sick.:banghead::furious:

Best guess is they're leaving out the easy-to-spot cases but some others slipped through. The one picture where lots of people are seeing blood and possibly other injuries is the man/woman "hanging"/"doing a backbend." It takes a lot of magnification and careful looking to spot the scary stuff. The total picture also sets off alarm bells for some people right away, but not for everyone.

I think the girl in the below thread is a very good example of that - the photo looks innocent enough but when made bigger you can clearly see bruising.

Girl with dark long hair and fur coat. - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I also think that they had no plan when releasing these photos - they released randomly cropped photos, photos that the gender is impossible to be certain of..

When they found the photos I wonder if they attempted to separate them into piles by size or brand of film? Though it more than likely could prove nothing, it seems you may be able to group photos together by size and/or brand of film (though he more than likely developed them himself).. Doing so could *perhaps* help with the time line and/or tie some of the photos of different girls together.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back