Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckyF

Reaction score
Alec Baldwin discharged gun in incident that killed cinematographer

A helicopter transported cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 42, to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where she was pronounced dead by medical personnel, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office. The director, 42-year-old Joel Souza, was transported via ambulance to Christus St. Vincent’s hospital and is receiving emergency treatment for his injuries.

"According to investigators it appears that the scene being filmed involved the use of a prop firearm when it was discharged," a release from the sheriff's office said. "Detectives are investigating how and what type of projectile was discharged."

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to get the distinct feeling that AD Dave Halls should be blackballed from the film industry. He is a clear and present danger to everyone on set.

And as the hard facts come in, HGR may not be far behind. JMO

No denying Alec Baldwin's role in shooting mishap tragedy

We shall see how This plays out over time--- there are some good points made here----
There is a lot of blame to go around---- One thing I have wondered about is why was there a live bullet in that gun and could that have been done purposely by someone to cause harm to a person ? I don't think so but I don't think that aspect can be ruled out

New Mexico workplace safety officials confirmed they would be looking at whether the crew followed industry standards. The agency does not routinely conduct safety inspections of sets and studios unless they receive complaints.

Instead of regulating firearm use on film and TV sets, many states leave it to the industry to follow its own guidelines. Those recommendations, issued by the Industry-Wide Labor-Management Safety Committee, call for limited use of live ammunition and detailed requirements for the handling and use of firearms of all types. Safety meetings are to be held, actors are to keep their fingers off the triggers until they’re ready to shoot, and guns should never be unattended, the guidelines state.

Gun safety on movie sets? States mostly follow guidelines set by studios, unions

We shall see This plays out over time--- there are some good points made here----

from your article :
“If you’re capable of memorizing 120 pages of dialogue, you can memorize four lines of gun safety,” special-effects and firearms expert Steve Wolf tells The Post.
“If that scene required him to put the gun to his head and pull the trigger, I’m sure he would have taken a look inside the gun. Wouldn’t you?

From the article:
The 37-year-old has not been seen publicly, but Baldwin was seen in Santa Fe on Sunday, embracing Hutchins' widower Matthew.

I realize we are discussing differing opinions here on AB’s level of responsibility in Halyna’s death, but I do have to give AB credit for personally going to see Halyna’s family.

That had to be a very emotional meeting.
Yes, I agree. I can’t even imagine doing that honestly. I would want to hide away forever. I actually know a nurse, not closely, who was responsible for a medication error that killed a patient. She resigned immediately - and no one saw her again.

True but if left unattended they should have been checked before being handed to an actor.
I agree, and to add: Guns should never be left unattended. These were not fake guns, but real guns used on set. They should have been locked up when not in the physical possession of the armorer.
When I carry, it is almost always on my person. I sometimes carry at work, or while traveling, and using a fancy gun purse, with a secret compartment to hold a holstered weapon rarely feels safe to me. I can see too many scenarios where the purse is removed from my possession, hence the gun is out of my control.
As I have read in many of the Actors Guides posts here, the Armorer should have been nearby while the actor was using the weapon, then the gun returned to the armorer’s possession after the scene. Armorers duties also extend to advising safety concerns during rehearsals and filming.
I have not been thrilled with AB since that awful meltdown he had with his eldest daughter. But I would not wish this agony on my worst enemy.
Guns are not toys, and should never be handled as such. Have been around them all my life. Would not even trust my partner handing me an “empty” gun without clearing it myself. Check and recheck. Just like in the medical field, to prevent errors.
I wiuld expect anyone handling weapons, including actors, to have basic training in handling and safety, as I would expect anyone driving a car or motorcycle on set to have basic training.
I think several people are culpable to different degrees here, legally and morally. The police, lawyers and courts will decide what that means for the parties involved.

I also see a scenario with lack of respect for the Armorer, and for the ownership of prop weapons.

Why were guns even available for what sounds like random people to use for target practice?

Why were people allowed to take weapons, put in real ammunition, and shoot at "targets"? Shouldnt the props be locked up at all times, as much to prevent theft or tampering?

And why was there even live ammo.?

Did the rest of the crew just run roughshod over The Armorer because she was young and less experienced and a woman they could intimidate?

Or did she allow this behaviour because she didn't know how to or want to be the one to shut all the goofing around with real weapons?

Peer of 'Rust' gun handler expresses shock: 'I'm surprised any of this happened on her watch'

... On set, she said, she was often judged for her age and gender. Many actors would walk into the prop department and look at Crow instead of her, expecting he was the armorer, she said: “I’d be, like, ‘Don’t look at him. Look at me.’”

“I don’t do anything unless I’m the best at it, really,” Reed said on the podcast, adding that she rides a Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster. “I’m pretty competitive. I hope to grow to the point where I’m pretty much just an untouchable person that has all the knowledge of everything.” ...

Maybe she instigated / participated in the target practice?

JMO

Speaking about her dad, who helped to train her up, she continued: "He took me from being completely green and taught me everything I know so far and by all means, I am still learning.

I do not doubt that Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was still learning to be a film set armorer when this horrible and preventable shooting took place. Obviously she was not equipped to be the head armorer on a film set at this point in her career.

JMO.

Alec Baldwin armorer is 'lawyering up' as worried friends say she's 'gone dark'

I genuinely cannot imagine "some" wonderfully talented and intelligent actors checking a "cold gun" for live ammo, a real gun, blanks, firing pins etc despite their ability to memorize pages and pages of script. It's possible this occurs more often than I realize but... I don't think we've heard from many celebrity (big name) actors stating they practice this on every action movie set? *Would they admit NOT practicing these safety protocols now?

ETA: Do you think reporters are chasing down the stars of the best action movies from the past 5 years to ask if they checked each of the firearms handed to them by AD's, armorers, those in charge of weapons on set??

Last edited:
Are you talking about the assistant director Dave Hall?

We don't know if anyone told him the status of the gun. It appears he didn't check to see if it was empty as it should have been for this rehearsal. JMO.

Yes, thanks that’s who I meant. He received it directly from armorer?

I do not doubt that Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was still learning to be a film set armorer when this horrible and preventable shooting took place. Obviously she was not equipped to be the head armorer on a film set at this point in her career.

JMO.

Alec Baldwin armorer is 'lawyering up' as worried friends say she's 'gone dark'
Wait. Just from the headline of the link you included here, that link seems to imply that she's contacting a lawyer & that is a bad thing. If we were to assume that, I'd like to know what the call records on AB's cellphone show. I'm guessing that that pic we've all seen shared with him in upset & on his cell may very well have been taken while he was talking to one of his lawyers as well. & if he wasn't talking to lawyer already at that stage, when did his first call to a lawyer happen? "lawyering up"? Seriously? I'd love to see a comparison list of which parties on this set made initial contact with their lawyers and see who "lawyered up" when.

Wait. Just from the headline of the link you included here, that link seems to imply that she's contacting a lawyer & that is a bad thing. If we were to assume that, I'd like to know what the call records on AB's cellphone show. I'm guessing that that pic we've all seen shared with him in upset & on his cell may very well have been taken while he was talking to one of his lawyers as well. & if he wasn't talking to lawyer already at that stage, when did his first call to a lawyer happen? "lawyering up"? Seriously? I'd love to see a comparison list of which parties on this set made initial contact with their lawyers and see who "lawyered up" when.
Honestly, I think Ms Reed will be in need of a lawyer along with several others on the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie