Amanda Berry, Gina deJesus & Michelle Knight - General discussion #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ariel Castro's lawyers still talking plea deal as prosecutors prepare more charges against him (video)

By Mark Gillispie, The Plain Dealer
on June 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM, updated June 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

And while Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus are now free, it appears Castro will never again have the freedom to come and go as he pleases. His attorneys, Jaye Schlachet and Craig Weintraub, concede that the evidence for some of the 329 charges is overwhelming. They have said Castro is willing to plead guilty to some of the charges to spare his victims from having to testify at trial.

"It's not our intent to have the women do that," Schlachet told reporters after the hearing. "There are definitely charges in this case we cannot dispute."

The thrust of his and Weintraub's work will be to prevent Castro from someday walking into the state's death chamber. County Prosecutor Tim McGinty is weighing whether to pursue capital murder charges against Castro, who is charged with two counts of aggravated murder related to accusations that he impregnated Knight and caused her to miscarry by beating her.

Ariel Castro's lawyers still talking plea deal as prosecutors prepare more charges against him (video)

On July 6 it will be the 2nd month anniversary of the girls release. I can't help but wonder how they are doing, has it sunk in yet that they are free? How the little girl is doing, now that she is suddenly around more people, meeting new relatives and so many new things.

I hope they are doing well, I hope they are able to have fun. And most of all I hope they are starting to feel some sense of safety and security now.

Castro's lawyers have also filed a speedy-trial motion, which would mean the case would have to begin by the date listed, August 4. However, that deadline could change if Castro's attorneys change course and ask for more time to prepare for the case.

Prosecutor Timothy McGinty told Russo there is a possibility of more charges.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/19/justice/ohio-castro-trial-date-set/index.html

Yeah, I'm happy that Amanda's looking healthy, but the fact that she's being stalked by the paparazzi, even if it's only on a photo here and there, sucks.

I wonder if that photograph of Amanda, her sister and her daughter taken at the hospital the day she escaped was really such a good thing.

http://photos.cleveland.com/plain-dealer/2013/05/clevelands_missing_woman_looki_15.html

It was heartwarming to see her smiling so soon after her ordeal, but it also made her publicly recognizable in a way that Gina and Michelle are not.
I don't think anyone would be able to identify Gina or Michelle if they bumped into them on the street today, but Amanda's face is known around the world.

Video of Amanda Berry, her daughter and sister visiting a Dairy Queen a few weeks ago.
Looks like security camera footage extracted by the employees and made into a video as a kind of tribute to her.
And another contradiction - can't deny it's a bit invasive, but again I can't deny it makes me very happy to see her out and about, enjoying life.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaJwUrLhzZ8"]Amanda Berry visits Dairy Queen with daughter and sister ( - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah, I'm happy that Amanda's looking healthy, but the fact that she's being stalked by the paparazzi, even if it's only on a photo here and there, sucks.<snipped for space>

No kidding. She looks great, but it's awful that she's being stalked by paparazzi, plus the title of this article is sickening!

I find that dairy queen very out of line and whoever put that on youtube should be fired! Seriously pulling surveillance video out? Wow just wow. SMH

A bit invasive? Seems totally inappropriate to me. I realize we are on surveillance video pretty much in all public place. But I sure wouldn't appreciate that surveillance video ending up on you tube.

A bit invasive? Seems totally inappropriate to me. I realize we are on surveillance video pretty much in all public place. But I sure wouldn't appreciate that surveillance video ending up on you tube.

Yeah, I didn't word my initial post very well - although I like to think the makers of this video are well-intentioned, it was poor judgment for them to make it public and I do agree that it was much more than a "bit invasive."

you worded your initial post just fine. look, invasive footage is going to be on the internet, regardless of whether or not you post it. i, personally, would rather stumble across a video like the dairy queen one on a site like this, in which members openly acknowledge the invasive nature of such footage--but share it with good intentions (i.e., we are happy to see amanda happy!). thanks, cazzba.

Yeah, I didn't word my initial post very well - although I like to think the makers of this video are well-intentioned, it was poor judgment for them to make it public and I do agree that it was much more than a "bit invasive."

I understood what you meant though. They definitely seemed well intentioned. Pretty immature in their decision making process, horrible judgement, but I don't think the intent was to harm anyone.

*watch castro's second pre-trial hearing live @ 8:45 AM (ET) via WOIO*.

gina's father is expected to attend!! :rockon:

although i will add a link to the raw footage as soon as one becomes available, i'll briefly share the gist for those who were not able to catch the live proceedings.

(1) judge russo ordered castro to undergo a competency evaluation in which a court psychiatrist will determine, within 10 days, whether castro understands the legal proceedings. when russo asked castro whether he understood the need for an eval, he responded "yes, i do" at his usual decibel, with his usual blank downward stare. mcginty (the prosecutor) informed russo that--based on interview--castro is competent.

(2) the tentative trial date is still set for aug. 4th, in accordance with castro's right to a speedy trial. please do bear in mind that castro also maintains the right to wave his right...!

(3) a date we can count on, however, is the THIRD PRE-TRIAL HEARING, NEXT WEDNESDAY, JULY 3 (@ 8:30 AM according to WOIO, @ 8:45 AM according to the Plain Dealer, and probably after 9 AM according to yours truly).

*watch castro's second pre-trial hearing live @ 8:45 AM (ET) via WOIO*.

Gina's father is expected to attend!! :rockon:

Although I will add a link to the raw footage as soon as one becomes available, WATCH A CLIP (2:44) OF TODAY'S PROCEEDINGS via THE PLAIN DEALER (2:44) .

Moreover, for those who were unable to catch the live stream, I'll share an excerpt from my blog that address the gist of today's hearing.

(1) Judge Russo ordered Castro to undergo a competency evaluation (likely tomorrow) in which a court psychiatrist, Dr. Phillip Resnick, will determine whether Castro understands the legal proceedings and is able to work effectively with his attorneys. When Judge Russo asked Castro whether he understood the need for an eval, he responded "yes, i do" at his usual decibel, with his usual blank downward stare. While Prosecutor McGinty did not object to the court-mandated eval, he did assert that Castro is "entirely competent [and] knows exactly what he’s doing now and did then." It seemed like a long-winded way of reassuring the public that the competency hearing is normal procedure, so we need not worry that Castro is going to play the sociopath-card. As an aside, in a post-hearing interview, Castro's defense attorney, Craig Weintraub, agreed that his client is competent to stand trial.

(2) As we already know, given that the indictment released on June 9th only covered the period between August 2002 and February 2007, Prosecutor McGinty plans to present additional charges to a grand jury.

(3) Attorney General Mike DeWine addressed new evidence that a state crime lab is testing this month for the presence of additional victims.

(4)) Weintraub still has not been able to visit 2207 Seymour Avenue, as he has been so desperate to do. Moreover, he wants to review certain relevant documents such as a journal and notes of at least one of the three survivors.

(5) The tentative trial date remains August 4, in accordance with Castro's right to a speedy trial. Please bear in mind that Castro also maintains the right to wave his right...!

(6) A date we can certainly count on, however, is the THIRD PRE-TRIAL HEARING, NEXT WEDNESDAY, JULY 3 (@ 8:30 AM according to WOIO, @ 8:45 AM according to the Plain Dealer, and probably after 9 AM according to yours truly).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal