American doctor in Liberia tests positive for Ebola virus

Oddsocks, I just finished re-reading that book oh, I'd say maybe two weeks ago. Scared me in the 90's when I first read it, scared me now.

The other book I'm set to read is Virus Hunters...(I think that's the title...)

As for this outbreak, it's weird. It's lasted a long, long time...used to be that ebola would hit, kill 90% of it's victims, and then fade away once folks took the proper precautions and/or it just burned itself out. 90% lethality is a bad thing for a virus (not to mention it's victims), because it dies with the host, if it can't transfer. So if it kills that many, then it kills itself...

I've recently read that this outbreak has something along the lines of 60-65% mortality. And while that is still huge in terms of hosts killed, I'm thinking we're starting to see a mutation of the virus...to where it doesn't kill as many people, or at least, not as quickly.

A very good example of a virus that has longevity is HIV...which is thought to have come from the same region, at least in a large sense.

I also heard that the two American victims of this outbreak are being considered for transference to the US...I don't know how I feel about that. I don't think I want ebola here...but then again, they should be able to come home....like I said, not sure about how I feel on this.

I just know my prayers are with everyone who is battling this incredibly scary virus...

Best-
Herding Cats

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/31/health/ebola-outbreak/index.html

"With the word there was only enough of an experimental serum available to one of two American charity workers in Liberia infected with Ebola hemorrhagic fever, Dr. Kent Brantly made the sacrifice.
He asked that the serum be given to his colleague, Nancy Writebol, Franklin Graham, president of the faith-based charity Samaritan's Purse, said Thursday.
Brantly and Writebol are described in stable but grave condition, with both reportedly taking a turn for the worse overnight, according to statements released by the charity group."

More at link

"Looking to get to the bottom of Sawyer’s strange ailment on the Asky Airline flight, which Sawyer transferred on in Togo, hospital officials say, he was tested for both malaria and HIV AIDS. However, when both tests came back negative, he was then asked whether he had made contact with any person with the Ebola Virus, to which Sawyer denied. Sawyer’s sister, Princess had died of the deadly virus on Monday, July 7, 2014 at the Catholic Hospital in Monrovia. On Friday, July 25, 2014, 18 days later, Sawyer died in Lagos."

<snip>

"The hospital issued a statement this week stating that Sawyer was quarantined immediately after he was discovered to have been infected with the deadly virus. In addition, a barrier nursing was implemented around Sawyer and the Lagos State Ministry of Health was immediately notified. Hospital authorities also requested the Federal Ministry of Health for additional laboratory test based on its suspicion of Ebola.

"FrontPageAfrica has now learned that upon being told he had Ebola, Mr. Sawyer went into a rage, denying and objecting to the opinion of the medical experts. &#8220;He was so adamant and difficult that he took the tubes from his body and took off his pants and urinated on the health workers, forcing them to flee."

http://frontpageafricaonline.com/in...inal-hours-in-lagos-indiscipline-rage-strange

This is the man who became violently ill on a plane from Liberia to Nigeria. His plans were to attend a conference in Nigeria then fly home to the US to celebrate his daughter's birthday. There is a lot more at the link.

"Looking to get to the bottom of Sawyer&#8217;s strange ailment on the Asky Airline flight, which Sawyer transferred on in Togo, hospital officials say, he was tested for both malaria and HIV AIDS. However, when both tests came back negative, he was then asked whether he had made contact with any person with the Ebola Virus, to which Sawyer denied. Sawyer&#8217;s sister, Princess had died of the deadly virus on Monday, July 7, 2014 at the Catholic Hospital in Monrovia. On Friday, July 25, 2014, 18 days later, Sawyer died in Lagos."

<snip>

"The hospital issued a statement this week stating that Sawyer was quarantined immediately after he was discovered to have been infected with the deadly virus. In addition, a barrier nursing was implemented around Sawyer and the Lagos State Ministry of Health was immediately notified. Hospital authorities also requested the Federal Ministry of Health for additional laboratory test based on its suspicion of Ebola.

"FrontPageAfrica has now learned that upon being told he had Ebola, Mr. Sawyer went into a rage, denying and objecting to the opinion of the medical experts. &#8220;He was so adamant and difficult that he took the tubes from his body and took off his pants and urinated on the health workers, forcing them to flee."

http://frontpageafricaonline.com/in...inal-hours-in-lagos-indiscipline-rage-strange

This is the man who became violently ill on a plane from Liberia to Nigeria. His plans were to attend a conference in Nigeria then fly home to the US to celebrate his daughter's birthday. There is a lot more at the link.
Oh wow!

The hospital would later report that it resisted immense pressure to let out Sawyer from its hospital against the insistence from some higher-ups and conference organizers that he had a key role to play at the ECOWAS convention in Calabar, the Cross River State capital. In fact, FrontPageAfrica has been informed that officials in Monrovia were in negotiations with ECOWAS to have Sawyer flown back to Liberia.

snip

FrontPageAfrica has now learnt that Sawyer exhibited similar indiscipline behavior during his sister&#8217;s stay at the Catholic Hospital in Monrovia where she was taken because he noticed she was bleeding profusely and was later found to be a victim of Ebola.

Am I the only one who is really, really frightened by this bonehead move??

Am I the only one who is really, really frightened by this bonehead move??

No, you aren't alone.
I don't understand why US can't treat these patients in place.

As a Christian, I greatly respect the jobs these missionaries do, however, they are the ones who signed up for this risk....not an entire nation of innocent people. My belief is that if you go to an area like that to fight an epidemic and contract the disease, you die there.....in order to protect others. I wonder if they are the ones even able to make this decision (of evacuation) for themselves and agree to it.

In a release, Emory said they have a specially-built isolation unit set up in collaboration with the CDC to treat patients who are exposed to certain serious infectious diseases. The facility, they said, is physically separate from other patient areas of the hospital and is equipped to provide an extremely high level of clinical isolation.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/h...y-university-hospital-ebola-patient/13429519/

Ebola is spread through contact with bodily fluids.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/emory-healthcare-to-treat-ebola-patient/ngrtm/

So.... Are they going to isolate the healthcare workers, as well?

In a release, Emory said they have a specially-built isolation unit set up in collaboration with the CDC to treat patients who are exposed to certain serious infectious diseases. The facility, they said, is physically separate from other patient areas of the hospital and is equipped to provide an extremely high level of clinical isolation.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/h...y-university-hospital-ebola-patient/13429519/

Ebola is spread through contact with bodily fluids.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/emory-healthcare-to-treat-ebola-patient/ngrtm/

Ebola is spread through contact with bodily fluids? They already showed by doing research in monkeys that it can spread through droplets in the air. So if Ebola patient sneezes or coughs, it appears to me whoever is standing next to that patient could very well get it.
We know the doctors who got this disease were using protective equipment, yet already three doctors got infected and two already died.

I don't understand who is flying them back and why they are flying them back. Does someone think there is a better chance of survival if they are here? Is that because of medicine? Facilities? Decreased exposure to secondary illnesses? Or? What is the chance of spreading Ebola here?

experimental treatments?

Why can't they just send it to them? As I read, the woman already got a dose of some experimental serum, but there was not enough for the man. None of it makes any sense to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back