American tourist breaks the finger off a 600-year-old statue in Italy

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Aug 6, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Why American Tourists Aren't Exactly Welcomed With Open Arms, Pt. 968,203:

American Tourist Breaks Finger Off 600-Year-Old Italian Statue. (Gawker)
    more, with pictures, at the links

EXCLUSIVE: The American SURGEON who accidentally snapped finger off 600-
    year-old statue in Florence museum (you'd have thought he'd be better with his hands!)
    . (Daily Mail)

2. Loading...

3. Gardenlady

Gardenlady Active Member

:facepalm:

Stuff like this is why many of us, when in Europe, dont correct folks if they assume I'm Canadian. :D

4. tgirl1130

tgirl1130 New Member

Note to self.....just kidding but that could soooo be me. I'll have to tell my family I was not in Italy

5. tezi

tezi Member of Websleuths since 2000.

BWHAAA! Too funny. I need to let mine know too..:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

That is a big Whoopsie!:scared::blushing:

6. STEADFAST

STEADFAST New Member

You can see by the pin that someone else broke it before -- it was probably loose. :angel:

7. CHERIE.T

CHERIE.T Former Member

Phewww, So glad some find this funny because if I was Italy , standing beside that statue, I'd yell to my dh, hon take a pic of me while I hold onto this statue.....snap. :floorlaugh:

8. Hamsterdance

Hamsterdance New Member

9. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

That reminds me of a friend of mine who was selling his great great uncles antique statues. They were around 300 yrs old ,as he was doing his selling pitch one of the fingers just fell off one of them and when he unwrapped the other one the nose was coming off. I was trying not to laugh but it wasn't easy. For some reason Michael Jackson popped into my mind. I watched the price negotiations going down and down until he had to call the deal off. He took them to a professional to have them refurbished. It ended up costing him more to fix the darn things than what they were worth. I don't know if he ended up selling them or not, but I wouldn't touch them with a ten ft. pole. It's a shame because they were beautiful. Were, being the operative word here.

10. Charlie09

Charlie09 Former Member

It's only funny when it's anti-American. Any other "Anti group" would be racist.

11. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member

Poor craftsmanship.

12. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

I don't care about his nationality but it's funny that he's a surgeon...

What's with the measuring thing?

I mean, so you measure and compare and match and determine that your hand is bigger, smaller, the same size as a random old work of art. Then what?

13. justbeachy

justbeachy "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond

Ironically, we were just in Italy in June and while at St. Peter's Basilica, our guide encouraged us (especially my children) to place our hands alongside of the statues (specifically the cherubs) to show the size differences. Thank God we didn't break anything!

14. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

For hilarious accounts of the foibles of both tourists and natives of the countries they visit, Twain's 'The Innocents Abroad' is hard to beat.

He did sound the stereotyping keynote for natives of the U.S., touring overseas, when he wrote,
    Like it or not, for better or worse, the image has lasted.

15. STEADFAST

STEADFAST New Member

One of my favorite books!
    Twain and his companions [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]loved teasing their guides: [/FONT]
    The Innocents Abroad on-line: http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/mtwain/bl-mtwain-innocents-1.htm

16. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

One of my favorite descriptions of we U.S.-ers in another land is from WWII when GIs arrived in England to train and ready themselves for the invasion of the continent.

Our boys were paid much better than the English troops. And we were, and are, not a timid people.

The British phrase for these foreigners on their soil was that we were "overpaid, over-sexed, and over here!"

17. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/0...old-statue-at-italian-museum/?test=latestnews

The finger was not the statue's original.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/tourist-snaps-600-year-old-statue-finger-article-1.1418763

"We are sure that the damage was caused by the American tourist because the work has recently returned from the exhibition at the Uffizi Golden Flashes, where it was exposed, and then on its return was carefully controlled," said Verdon.

bbm

18. animlzrule

animlzrule New Member

I'm flabbergasted that anyone would handle an exhibit in a museum, unless said exhibit it specifically for that purpose! :banghead: I took my son to the zoo the other day, and shook my head and said "No sweetie, don't do that" to the little girl crouched down poking a turtle's head with a long piece of bark and then reaching her arm through the bars to touch it's head. My son and I walked on and not 1 minute later I heard her mother call to another of her children, as SHE HERSELF is crouched down poking at the turtle, "LOOK! Come touch it's head!" Never a zookeeper around when you need one. People are amazingly ignorant, and she's training her children to have the same lack of respect and common sense. I hope this guy has to pay for the restoration of the piece.

19. popsicle

popsicle faith hope love

I could see comparing your hand if you are a gyno, not sure what diff it makes compared to a statue tho. lol

20. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member

They need to add "and thank God" And over worked IMO.

21. defense101

defense101 New Member

Everyone may find this hilarious but look at the investigation and take down of a woman for throwing green paint on an American icon and other such places, I find this a little disrespectful IMO