Another theory

Goody said:
Jeana (DP) said:
Here's the answer:

My opinion is that Darin was an accessory after the fact, that he helped with the staging. I don't know that Darin knew that Darlie would explode like she did. Let's remember that after that "suicidal thoughts" episode in early May, Darin sat with her and talked to her, but did not get her the professional help she obviously needed. Some people have asked why Darin didn't turn Darlie in after the two murders. My thought is that he only had a matter of a few moments to decide what he was going to do and he chose to stand by Darlie for whatever reason. To me, the goal of "Team Routier" (Darlie and Darin) the whole time has been to walk away from this mess and get on with their lives. As for the location of the stab wounds, we may never know exactly why the two children were stabbed where they were stabbed, but to me, the goal appears to have been to inflict pain rather than specifically to kill. I don't think Darlie was doing enough thinking to decide how to stab them so they would look good in their caskets; rather, I think she was on emotional pain overload from some unexpected bombshell and that this is a "why don't you feel my pain" type of stabbing. The stabbing was just barely enough to kill the second child and there are some times I wonder how Darlie would have

I see it entirely different, Jeana. I see the stabbings as a deliberate, methodical attack meant to kill. I don't think she ever considered their pain. I think she was so detached emotionally that she just did what she had to do to get the job done. The question for me is what motivated her to do it. I have a hard time seeing either one of these people in the emotional throlls you describe. Patsy Ramsey fell apart emotionally. Guilty or not, the reality of JB's death tore her up. I just don't see any of that in the Routiers and that tells me that they feel justified or have come to some kind of terms with it long before it actually went down.

Goody, remember those are not my opinions. I'm merely posting them for our buddy who can't. :blowkiss:

Jeana (DP) said:
Goody, remember those are not my opinions. I'm merely posting them for our buddy who can't. :blowkiss:
Oops. :blushing: Sorry. I did forget.

Jeana--here are some more responses. I am sorry it has taken me so long, but I am having to fight to keep up with my work. In any event:

Sharkeyes asked whether I would consider the possibility that Darlie initially wanted the killings to be a "murder/suicide" in which she chickened out. I actually did consider that exact scenario; indeed, I think I have looked at the killings from every angle I could think of. The reason I don't think she specifically intended to kill them is the wounds on the one victim, Damon. Of course, one could make the argument that she specifically intended to kill based on the wounds to Devon, which include two knife wounds to the chest. However, as to Damon, I simply can't conclude that six stab wounds to the back is a good way to kill a person if that is what you have in mind. We don't see any of the obvious "intent-to-kill" wounds on Damon, such as shots to the head (to soften up the victim to be killed) or the relatively large number of wounds that we see in other cases. There are wounds in other cases where there aren't head shots or large number of wounds, but the inference of an intent to kill is fairly unmistakable: Nicole Brown Simpson having her throat cut and Joel Kirkpatrick being killed in Lawrenceville, Illinois in October 1997 by 11-13 stab wounds, two of which were planted right in his aorta. His mother, Julie Harper, was acquitted by a jury in a second trial a few days ago and explained that an intruder broke into her house--she was a single mother--grabbed a knife from a butcher's block and started wailing on 10-year-old Joel for no reason at all. By contrast, stabbing a person six times in the back does not seem to be a good way to kill a person although it was enough to cause Damon's death.

Now, on to what Goody had to say: she says she sees the stabbing as a deliberate, methodical attack meant to kill. I have to respectfully disagree for a few reasons. As I indicated above, the stab wounds to Damon just are not a good way to kill a person. Also, if the assailant meant to kill the boys, why do we see only 10 stab wounds total on the boys and no more than six on either victim? That is about the most limited number of stab wounds on any victims I have ever come across and the assailant likely would not have run out of the physical energy to stab them more times if that is what the assailant had in mind. I think that is the great puzzle in this case: if the assailant was so angry, as is especially indicated by the devastating wounds to Devon, why did the assailant stop stabbing the boys after only 10 stab wounds? The only conclusion I can get to regarding "great anger" and "limited attack" is that the attack was being fueled a less intense rage, a jealous rage, not a more intense rage, a homicidal rage, and the rage dissipated fairly quickly because the rage trigger is centered around Darlie's argument with Darin and not around the two boys. If Darlie meant to kill them, I can't for the life of me figure out why, and explanations that it was for money or because they were interfering with her lifestyle are too general (she was already well aware of these problems) to produce the explosive anger we see in this case.

On another subject, I agree that the DNA testing should be conducted, but this is merely the fourth attempt to manufacture the intruder, the first three being Darlie on the 911 call ("we have to find the person who did this"), the staging to suggest that there was a struggle with the intruder, and the Bob Kee affidavit filed two years after the conviction in which he states that Darin talked to him about a burglary scheme shortly before the killings. Of course, Darlie is not in a position to oppose such testing, but even Darlie is going to have trouble explaining how testing could show the existence of what never existed in the first place.

I could see where Darlie might dream up a possible, albeit stupid reason to kill the two boys as her motive that has nothing to do with insurance money.

They've finally admitted that they argued that night right? There was talk about a separation? Okay, what if in that arguement Darin decides he wants to take it further into divorce? Darlie has been able to dazzle or manipulate Darin since she met him. That she can't right at this moment makes her angry.

Perhaps the arguement did involve talking/yelling about divorce. Unkind things said on both sides. Perhaps Darin wanted custody of the boys. After all, he's very attached to them. Neither makes any effort to be civil, she stays downstairs and he goes on up to bed.

What if Darlie decides that if there's to be a divorce, she'll hurt him good. She'll take away something he has pride in, these two boys, his oldest sons. At the same time, she doesn't want to divorce, she wants him to be like he was before, and if someone attacked her and the boys, he'd realize he can't let her go, he loves her, needs her, their grief would draw them back together etc..

There have been crimes committed for reasons like these in the past, and not always in the throes of anger. Darlie could have acted on the spur of the moment with just that kind of lame reasoning, expecting everyone to just... believe her. She didn't have to be angry, she could have just coldly and calculatingly, murdered.

After eading this it all makes sense! You always want to beleive that there is no way a mother could do something like that to her children but after reading your post it seems so right on. Thanks! So many questions answered and the truth really rings true in it.

txsvicki said:
Just adding my occasional opinions and questions. I also agree that Darlie has lots of the symptoms of a personality disorder. Has anyone seen any data on whether these things show up as a child or not?
This is the voice of experience by proxy - I have several NPD 's in my family. Its a fairly new kid on the block, it was just included in the DSM ( the bible for dignosis used by mental health professionals ) in the late 80's even though Freud discussed it at lenght . Generally speaking N's & H's develop the framework of N or H in childhood, display the traits as a teenager or young adult and the traits become more pronounced as they age. Histronics have irrational fear of abandonment and make frequent sucidal gestures or self mulitate themselves ( the cutters) . There are varying degrees of N traits and prognosis is not good. N's never think anything is wrong with them. I also think Darlie has strong N traits but dont think she is full blown NPD. N's also are pathlogical liars, never accept any responsibility, devoid of empathy. N's are addicted to the reflection of their false self by others reactions. Its called narcissist supply and they need it like any other drug addict and will go to extreme measures to obtain it . Without that reflection back to them they dont feel they exist. N's see people as objects and objects are interchangable. Narcissism is a defense mechanism to keep the narcissist from experiencing his true self. Being out of touch with their true selves, not able to empathize makes all types of appalling horrific behavior possible. NPD is all prevasive it governs every aspect of their lives. Personality disorders are set rigid patterns of behavior that never change. N's never seem quite right, you feel uncomfortable around them, things dont add up - they dont react as other people would to simliar situations - because they are pretending to be someone else than who they really are. The N who wants to be famous will settle for infamy not knowing the difference. N's rarely commit sucide, as their real self died in infancy . It is no longer a functioning part of their personality.
There are many other traits as well but this give a very simplified primer on NPD and HPD.

There is a theory that these and the other disorders included in the Cluster B personality disorders are on a continum .
narcissism --------histronic--------psychopath

In no way is N a dimished capacity, they make the choice and know right from wrong they just dont think you are important enough to curb their
actions towards you.

Jeana (DP) As for the location of the stab wounds said:
If someone is intent on stabbing the three persons they encountered in the room, two of them children, and they repeatedly stab the children, they're not going to worry about where they stab the adult.

Note that Darlie had a boob job which she was proud of. None of her injuries were in the torso. They were on the arms and on her neck area. Whereas the injuries to the children were mostly in the torso.

We're supposed to believe that the attacker stabbed her in areas that would avoid her pride and joy?

We're supposed to believe that the attacker stabbed her in areas that would avoid her pride and joy?

Hysterical...you guys er gals kill me...aaaaaahahahahaha

cami said:
Hysterical...you guys er gals kill me...aaaaaahahahahaha
I couldn't help but phrase it that way. :eek:

Wasn't there also an expensive arrangement of flowers that had been on the coffee table or somewhere that were "arranged" on the floor? Yet the coffee table was turned over? The flowers weren't spilled or mussed up? But the children were. It all reeks.

mollymalone said:
I couldn't help but phrase it that way. :eek:

Wasn't there also an expensive arrangement of flowers that had been on the coffee table or somewhere that were "arranged" on the floor? Yet the coffee table was turned over? The flowers weren't spilled or mussed up? But the children were. It all reeks.

There was an expensive silk flower arrangement but I don't think I ever read where they were arranged on the floor. They were knocked over but the stems of the flowers were not bent. I think that was the first red flag to the investigators....that this was a personal crime...the lack of property damage, no theft of the jewellery and wallet that was lying right out in plain site....just the murder of two sleeping boys.

"Expensive" flower arrangement????? It looks to me like it would cost about $40 at most to buy something like that. Nothing in Darlie's house looks like it costs too much money. Everything looks pretty cheap to me.

Jeana (DP) said:
"Expensive" flower arrangement????? It looks to me like it would cost about $40 at most to buy something like that. Nothing in Darlie's house looks like it costs too much money. Everything looks pretty cheap to me.
I agree, there doesn't seem to be anything that could not be purchased at regular retail outlets - or flea markets - which is fine, I love flea market hopping and get some great deals (I think!). But what gets me is the boys bedroom, very sparse from the photos I have seen - the furnishing/decorating done in the rest of the house (including the master bedroom) does not carry over to the boys' room, IMO it looks "thrown together" rather than decorated, as though it did not mean as much to her as the rest of the house.

sharkeyes said:
But what gets me is the boys bedroom, very sparse from the photos I have seen - the furnishing/decorating done in the rest of the house (including the master bedroom) does not carry over to the boys' room, IMO it looks "thrown together" rather than decorated, as though it did not mean as much to her as the rest of the house.

You noticed that too, huh? :(

sharkeyes said:
But what gets me is the boys bedroom, very sparse from the photos I have seen - the furnishing/decorating done in the rest of the house (including the master bedroom) does not carry over to the boys' room

It's difficult to tell what Devon's room looked like from the angle of the photos, but Damon's was beautifully decorated...panelling, wallpaper with a border, nice headboard, coordinating comforter, etc. Very nice.

Here's a thought, though. If Drake was keeping Darlie awake at night (yea, right :crazy: ), why didn't they move his crib into Damon's room? Damon almost always slept in Devon's bedroom anyway, in the bunkbeds.

Mary456 said:
It's difficult to tell what Devon's room looked like from the angle of the photos, but Damon's was beautifully decorated...panelling, wallpaper with a border, nice headboard, coordinating comforter, etc. Very nice.

Here's a thought, though. If Drake was keeping Darlie awake at night (yea, right :crazy: ), why didn't they move his crib into Damon's room? Damon almost always slept in Devon's bedroom anyway, in the bunkbeds.

Didn't the two boys share a room? :confused:

Mary456 said:

I have only seen the photo of the boys' bedroom with the cheesy bunkbeds, little or nothing on the wall, etc. I will revisit my books to find a picture of Damon's bedroom; the photo I reference is marked "the boys' bedroom" and is located in MTJD. Do you have a link/reference to the photo of Damon's room?

Yes, there was enough room for Drake to have slept in a bedroom other than D&D's, how probable is it that Darlie preferred that Damon and Devon slept in and played in "Devon's room" so that she could decorate the room she "called" Damon's room knowing the likelihood of the boys 'making a mess' in it would be minimal....seeing as how she appeared to be compulsive about things being in place, cleaning....IMO

Jeana (DP) said:
Didn't the two boys share a room? :confused:

Hey, Jeana. Page 319 in MTJD shows Damon's bedroom. I wouldn't normally trust CWB to get anything right, but both "Precious Angels" (pp. 63-64) and "Flesh and Blood" (pp. 73-74) support it being Damon's room...although he was apparently too scared to sleep alone. He slept in the bunkbeds with Devon in another room.

I guess we really don't know which bedroom belonged to which boy, but there were two children's bedrooms on the second floor, one with bunkbeds and one with Disney characters.

Mary456 said:
Hey, Jeana. Page 319 in MTJD shows Damon's bedroom. I wouldn't normally trust CWB to get anything right, but both "Precious Angels" (pp. 63-64) and "Flesh and Blood" (pp. 73-74) support it being Damon's room...although he was apparently too scared to sleep alone. He slept in the bunkbeds with Devon in another room.

I guess we really don't know which bedroom belonged to which boy, but there were two children's bedrooms on the second floor, one with bunkbeds and one with Disney characters.

Thanks Mary~!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildkey517
Back