April 08, 2024 Solar Eclipse

Tonight "Great American Eclipse" will premiere on PBS at 8 p.m., and you can also watch the episode on your computer on this site:
Explore the spectacular cosmic phenomenon of a total solar eclipse.

We will record this show as we do all NOVA episodes. Our grandson who's in Australia for a year is planning to call us tonight during the time the show airs, so we will probably watch it after the call.
NBC is also going to air a live 2-hour special that day, from 1 to 3PM Central time.

There's some chatter in my area about people going to Indianapolis, which is the closest big city. Some people were endorsing this, because if there was ever a city that knows about how to deal with crowd control, it would be that one.

However, don't expect to get a hotel room there, and if you do, be prepared to pay a fortune, as in >500 a night.

I just found out today that Burlington, VT, near where my son lives, is supposed to have sunny skies on Monday! I started looking for flights to Burlington, but it's not looking feasible. We'd have to drive for 8 hours (plus stops) to get to the closest places (probably in Ohio) where we could see the eclipse, weather permitting. Not going to happen, and I'm sad!

There's some chatter in my area about people going to Indianapolis, which is the closest big city. Some people were endorsing this, because if there was ever a city that knows about how to deal with crowd control, it would be that one.

However, don't expect to get a hotel room there, and if you do, be prepared to pay a fortune, as in >500 a night.
I'd suggest just finding a place in a rural area with no crowds where you can pull over and watch totality, plus some time leading up to and after totality. You don't have to watch the full length of the eclipse. Totality is the bomb!!

Are you planning to drive to see totality? Maybe depends on the weather!
The small community of Luna Pier, MI is in the direct path for totality. It's about an hour away, just north of the Ohio border on the banks of Lake Erie. Roads will be packed, and weather reports suggest that it might be cloudy. We'll stay home and watch livestream on local news station or NBC. If it's not cloudy, we will probably sit on the deck as that will provide the best view in the afternoon.

Last edited:
The small community of Luna Pier, MI is in the direct path for totality. It's about an hour away, just north of the Ohio border on the banks of Lake Erie. Roads will be packed, and weather reports suggest that it might be cloudy. We'll stay home and watch livestream on local news station or NBC. If it's not cloudy, we will probably sit on the deck as that will provide the best view in the afternoon.

The article makes it sound like Luna Pier is a pretty marginal place to see the total eclipse, and only 19 seconds' worth of totality. If I lived in southern Michigan and the weather wasn't bad, I would definitely drive down into Ohio to get closer to the center line of the eclipse! That would mean more time to experience the awesomeness of totality. :cool:

The highly anticipated total solar eclipse is fast-approaching, but Mother Nature is throwing some curveballs with the weather forecast.

The atmosphere looks poised to deliver an unfortunately timed lesson in the difference between day-to-day weather and long-term climatology for millions of people in the path of totality.

The current forecast shows pockets of disruptive cloud coverage in the path of totality and in some areas that are almost the complete opposite of what historical cloud cover data shows for April 8 – causing some that made advance plans to scramble to get in position for the best view.

More at the link.

CNN —
Eclipses inspire awe and bring people together to observe a stunning celestial phenomenon, but these cosmic events also enable scientists to unravel mysteries of the solar system.

During the total solar eclipse on April 8, when the moon will temporarily obscure the sun’s face from view for millions of people across Mexico, the United States and Canada, multiple experiments will be underway to better understand some of the biggest unresolved questions about the golden orb.

NASA will launch sounding rockets and WB-57 high-altitude planes to conduct research on aspects of the sun and Earth that‘s only possible during an eclipse. The efforts are part of a long history of attempts to gather invaluable data and observations when the moon temporarily blocks the sun’s light.

CNN —
Eclipses inspire awe and bring people together to observe a stunning celestial phenomenon, but these cosmic events also enable scientists to unravel mysteries of the solar system.

During the total solar eclipse on April 8, when the moon will temporarily obscure the sun’s face from view for millions of people across Mexico, the United States and Canada, multiple experiments will be underway to better understand some of the biggest unresolved questions about the golden orb.

NASA will launch sounding rockets and WB-57 high-altitude planes to conduct research on aspects of the sun and Earth that‘s only possible during an eclipse. The efforts are part of a long history of attempts to gather invaluable data and observations when the moon temporarily blocks the sun’s light.
Thanks for this link--very interesting! For one thing, I didn't know that the sun's corona is millions of degrees hotter than the surface of the sun. I'm sharing the article with others.

A total solar eclipse will cross North America on Monday, offering millions a rare opportunity to see afternoon skies temporarily darken as the moon blocks the face of the sun.

Tune into NBC News NOW as Lester Holt hosts a two-hour special at 2 p.m. ET Monday from Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The eclipse's path fortuitously cuts across Mexico, 15 U.S. states and a small part of eastern Canada. In all other states in the continental U.S., viewers will be treated to a partial solar eclipse, with the moon appearing to take a bite out of the sun and obscuring part of its light.

Here’s everything you need to know about the rare celestial event...

And, this morning, Amazon emails to tell me that the eclipse glasses I ordered & put inn Easter baskets are not approved after all. :eek:

Groovy, Started their refund process, wonder if I really need to drive the little box to Kohl's for the return.

At least my son is 29, and can find approved ones before Mnday.

Mr Laughing admitted that he bought a pair at the grocery store -- already in the top box of a motorcycle.

Sigh.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back