AR AR - Malvern, WhtMale 1415UMAR, 25-35, hitchhiker in submerged car, p/u Louisville, Oct'84

Good suggestion @Hockeyfan158.

No new exclusions at NamUs since DuBarry was added.

This case always reminds me of the Bibb Co. AL John Doe (now identified). Both were hitchhikers who died after their vehicles went into a body of water and the vehicle owners both survived.

Last edited:
Has Jackson Wade Orvin been excluded yet? He was last seen in Naples Florida in June of 1984 too me he’s the closet match to this Doe.
Was Orvin ever submitted? He still looks like a viable match and he isn't on the exclusions list.

actually Carl, he looks rather Hispanic to me. the relatively short and heavy stature, rounded face (the post-mortem, not your reconstruction), dark hair and dark eyes and the lack of body hair all point to Hispanic heritage to me. in fact his facial appearance reminds me of some guys I've know who were born in Colombia. there was, however, no indication from the profile that the guy had any foreign accent.
Maybe. He’s not terribly short at 5’8” but it is plausible. Maybe he does have partial Hispanic heritage. However, I have completely white heritage (Russian and Ukrainian) and the men in my family don’t have much body hair or even facial hair for that matter. He could be of European descent. The men in my family are shorter too. My father is 5’8”. The women tend to vary, but my mother is 5’3”. I’m only 5’2” (female) and have a pretty slender build, used to be heavier around 140 lbs. I’m 112 pounds now.

He could just be another white guy. Has his DNA been tested at all?

this is the closest match I could find at NAMUS. Kenneth LaManna. unfortunately they did not have any recent photos of Kenny that were posted.

he was from New Haven County CT, is within the age range, had brown eyes, height is off by only one inch.

he disappeared in 1980 so it's not clear what he would have been up to in the 4 years before this UID drowned.

<modsnip: broken link (identified)>
He did look similar now ruled out.

1 new exclusion listed in NamUs (Edward DuBarry). Looks like Orvin is ruled out, just not listed yet.

8 Missing Person Exclusions

1681329589135.jpeg
1681329644527.jpeg

I am unable to search the thread right now to see if James Kinskey has been mentioned. He’s not listed as an exclusion.

He had been hitchhiking at the time he was reported missing March 1982 from Lexington, KY. He was 25, dark brown hair and brown eyes, 5’9”, 130-140. Possibly wearing work boots.

More photos of James are in NamUs.

Sidenote: Does anyone else get a timeout error, code 524 every evening around 8pm eastern time until about 10:30 or 11pm eastern time when using the search feature? Maybe a nightly update or something.

@John/Jane Doe, Frank is certainly a possibility. It seems though he never made it back to his home after the party he attended.

1681348125768.jpeg1681348145515.jpeg

Cases submitted to NamUs, and all investigating agencies.

Craig Steven Chiarappa of Middlefield, CT left a VA Hospital in Newington, CT on April 11, 1976. According to his family (article), it was not unusual for him to travel about the country.

On Oct 18, 1984, a driver enroute to Houston, TX picked up an unidentified hitch hiker in Louisville, Kentucky. After arriving in Arkansas, the driver became tired, and allowed the unidentified to continue to drive. *Presumably*, the unidentified falls asleep at the wheel, and drives the vehicle in a body of water. The unidentified dies two days later after having been submerged in water for 15-30 minutes. The police suspect that the unidentified is "possibly from New Haven, Connecticut traveling to California at the time."

New Haven, CT is ~16 miles away from Craig Steven Chiarappa's home (Middlefield, CT). The two are exactly the same height, and weight. Their descriptions match, and so do their faces when you account for Craig Steven Chiarappa's facial expression. Craig is said to sometimes have a "beard/goatee." If the unidentified is Craig, I believe he is of Italian decent.

Chiarappa.jpg

Craig Steven Chiarappa
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
CT - CT - Craig Steven Chiarappa, 23, Middlefield, 11 Apr 1976

Malvern, AR Unidentified (NamUs #UP3123)

:bump: Bump for image revision.

5fb31b60-f5e3-46d8-8c36-1b24495494f4.jpg

If I'm correct that Craig Steven Chiarappa of Middlefield, CT is the unidentified, I'd say your recon was definitely on the money.

Last edited:
Cases submitted to NamUs, and all investigating agencies.

Craig Steven Chiarappa of Middlefield, CT left a VA Hospital in Newington, CT on April 11, 1976. According to his family (article), it was not unusual for him to travel about the country.

On Oct 18, 1984, a driver enroute to Houston, TX picked up an unidentified hitch hiker in Louisville, Kentucky. After arriving in Arkansas, the driver became tired, and allowed the unidentified to continue to drive. *Presumably*, the unidentified falls asleep at the wheel, and drives the vehicle in a body of water. The unidentified dies two days later after having been submerged in water for 15-30 minutes. The police suspect that the unidentified is "possibly from New Haven, Connecticut traveling to California at the time."

New Haven, CT is ~16 miles away from Craig Steven Chiarappa's home (Middlefield, CT). The two are exactly the same height, and weight. Their descriptions match, and so do their faces when you account for Craig Steven Chiarappa's facial expression. Craig is said to sometimes have a "beard/goatee." If the unidentified is Craig, I believe he is of Italian decent.

View attachment 420328

Craig Steven Chiarappa
CT - CT - Craig Steven Chiarappa, 23, Middlefield, 11 Apr 1976

Malvern, AR Unidentified (NamUs #UP3123)
That’s 100% him. Good find! I see too many similarities between Craig and the deceased for it to be a coincidence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monifah2
Back