AR AR - Michael 14, (13 Aug 2020) & Thomas Young 16, (again 7 Oct 2021), Little Rock

The two are in custody (care) of DHS (Dept of Human Services), most likely they ran due to not wanting to be put in foster care.

Thanks to you both for explaining. What an awful way to name it...makes you feel they did something wrong...or were they troubled kids and parents couldn't handle them anymore?

Why is saying the agency has custody any different than a parent being granted custody? I see nothing wrong with this terminology.

Why is saying the agency has custody any different than a parent being granted custody? I see nothing wrong with this terminology.

If you put it like that...it seems ok...I associated it with in custody, kind of jail situation....lost in translation I guess.

Michael has been missing for over a year. Thomas’s profile has been removed from the NamUs site.

So the older brother is located and no longer missing, but the younger one still isn't found? They weren't together.....I always thought they were. I'm curious what the older brother's story is. Poor kid.

Does anybody know what the protocol is if somebody gets missing from DHS custody in Arkansas?

It's so terribly quiet besides his missing case mentioned on this site Details

Does anybody know what the protocol is if somebody gets missing from DHS custody in Arkansas?

It's so terribly quiet besides his missing case mentioned on this site Details

https://humanservices.arkansas.gov/wp-content/uploads/Master_DCFS_Policy.pdf

I’m not sure if this answers your question exactly, but it may help. Living in AR, I know there’s a decent amount of kids (teens) missing who happen to be in DHS/DCFS custody or state supervision, foster care, group homes, etc. It’s a sad situation for sure.

(Page 169-170)
•Occasionally there are instances when a child or youth involved in an open protective services case may runaway or otherwise go missing. In all instances of missing children who are part of an open protective services case, the Division of Children and Family Services (DCFS) will collaborate with the child’s family, law enforcement, and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) in an effort to locate the child.

•If the family and/or Division has reason to believe the child independently left his/her home of his/her own accord (i.e., run away), then upon notification, the family’s FSW caseworker and FSW caseworker’s supervisor will ensure the Area Director is also notified of the child’s disappearance. The FSW caseworker will then follow the steps outlined below.
>>After receiving notification of the child’s disappearance from the child’s family or by other means, the FSW caseworker will:
A. Notify the child’s attorney ad litem (if applicable) within two (2) hours.
B. Determine within two (2) hours whether the child’s parents/caretakers have filed a missing person report with the local police department or sheriff’s office.
C. Once a police report has been filed, contact the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) no later than 24 hours after receiving information on missing or abducted children or youth to provide the following information to NCMEC per the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between DCFS and NCMEC:
D. Upon NCMEC’s request, release to NCMEC any additional requested information and/or records in its possession that are relevant to locating the missing child.
E. Keep NCMEC informed with up-to-date information regarding the missing child.
F. Update CHRIS contacts regarding the missing child and efforts to locate the missing child.
G. If the child:
1) Is not found and there are other children in the home:
•Continue to provide services to the family and other children as appropriate; and,
•Continue to call previously contacted parties and inquire for information and furnish further information that becomes available through case closure.
•If appropriate, extend the search to other counties and states.
2) Is not found within 60 calendar days and is the only child in the home:
•Update the FAST to determine if additional services (e.g., counseling may be appropriate for the parents/caretakers);
•Close the case if the family does not need further services.

https://humanservices.arkansas.gov/wp-content/uploads/Master_DCFS_Policy.pdf

I’m not sure if this answers your question exactly, but it may help. Living in AR, I know there’s a decent amount of kids (teens) missing who happen to be in DHS/DCFS custody or state supervision, foster care, group homes, etc. It’s a sad situation for sure.

(Page 169-170)
•Occasionally there are instances when a child or youth involved in an open protective services case may runaway or otherwise go missing. In all instances of missing children who are part of an open protective services case, the Division of Children and Family Services (DCFS) will collaborate with the child’s family, law enforcement, and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) in an effort to locate the child.

•If the family and/or Division has reason to believe the child independently left his/her home of his/her own accord (i.e., run away), then upon notification, the family’s FSW caseworker and FSW caseworker’s supervisor will ensure the Area Director is also notified of the child’s disappearance. The FSW caseworker will then follow the steps outlined below.
>>After receiving notification of the child’s disappearance from the child’s family or by other means, the FSW caseworker will:
A. Notify the child’s attorney ad litem (if applicable) within two (2) hours.
B. Determine within two (2) hours whether the child’s parents/caretakers have filed a missing person report with the local police department or sheriff’s office.
C. Once a police report has been filed, contact the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) no later than 24 hours after receiving information on missing or abducted children or youth to provide the following information to NCMEC per the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between DCFS and NCMEC:
D. Upon NCMEC’s request, release to NCMEC any additional requested information and/or records in its possession that are relevant to locating the missing child.
E. Keep NCMEC informed with up-to-date information regarding the missing child.
F. Update CHRIS contacts regarding the missing child and efforts to locate the missing child.
G. If the child:
1) Is not found and there are other children in the home:
•Continue to provide services to the family and other children as appropriate; and,
•Continue to call previously contacted parties and inquire for information and furnish further information that becomes available through case closure.
•If appropriate, extend the search to other counties and states.
2) Is not found within 60 calendar days and is the only child in the home:
•Update the FAST to determine if additional services (e.g., counseling may be appropriate for the parents/caretakers);
•Close the case if the family does not need further services.

Thank you! I think you nailed it.

Thanks for changing the header mods.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther