Arizona - Coronavirus COVID-19

Despite virus surge, Arizona governor won’t require masks

“.... a truck driver in Phoenix, wears a mask as required for work but otherwise he goes about mask-free.

“I’m not worried about it,” Fowler said while waiting for a table Thursday at Snooze A.M. Eatery, where the patio was full and only employees were seen donning face masks.

Despite COVID-19 case numbers trending upward, Fowler has no plans to change.

“Everybody’s going to get COVID one way or the other eventually,” he said. “People are gonna do what they want to do regardless.””

Despite virus surge, Arizona governor won’t require masks

“.... a truck driver in Phoenix, wears a mask as required for work but otherwise he goes about mask-free.

“I’m not worried about it,” Fowler said while waiting for a table Thursday at Snooze A.M. Eatery, where the patio was full and only employees were seen donning face masks.

Despite COVID-19 case numbers trending upward, Fowler has no plans to change.

“Everybody’s going to get COVID one way or the other eventually,” he said. “People are gonna do what they want to do regardless.””
Two Million plus cases. One hundred fourteen thousand deaths. And it appears that our country is 'so done' with the pandemic.

I am sure we all are seeing the results in our neighborhoods. I wear a mask. So many others refuse to do so. It's their 'right'.

How soon do we see Three million cases, Two Hundred thousand deaths? August? September? Totally crazy. Totally preventable. Sad.

Using data from this site: https://covidtracking.com/data

Not perfect, since some deaths will be from cases prior to these dates, and some deaths will occur after June 14, from these cases, but I'm surprised that these numbers don't make it into the news:
Covid Mortality Rate in AZ:
April 13 - May 13: 5.5%
May 14 - June 14: 2.4%

Watch live: New York Governor Andrew Cuomo holds his daily coronavirus briefing

From Governor Cuomo's press conference today:
"We are basically at a number that is so low it may even be statistically questionable, because when you get down to 24 you are talking about literally how doctors decide a cause of death in some situations that may have multiple reasons behind it," he said Tuesday.

ADHS - Data Dashboard

From AZDHS site, there are two days of 26 deaths and two of 24 deaths - everything else is lower, since the beginning of this crisis.

Watch live: New York Governor Andrew Cuomo holds his daily coronavirus briefing

From Governor Cuomo's press conference today:
"We are basically at a number that is so low it may even be statistically questionable, because when you get down to 24 you are talking about literally how doctors decide a cause of death in some situations that may have multiple reasons behind it," he said Tuesday.

ADHS - Data Dashboard

From AZDHS site, there are two days of 26 deaths and two of 24 deaths - everything else is lower, since the beginning of this crisis.

Not sure where those numbers are coming from. In June alone, the ADHS Data Dashboard has provided the following counts of deaths in Arizona:

6/1 = 11
6/2 = 24
6/3 = 40
6/4 = 15
6/5 = 16
6/6 = 30
6/7 = 2
6/8 = *
6/9 = 23
6/10 = 25
6/11 = 32
6/12 = 17
6/13 = 39
6/14 = 3
6/15 = 8
6/16 = 25
6/17 = 20

* = Missed capture

Our State appears to be going in the wrong direction, and we're really still in the first wave.

Scary stuff IMO.

Numbers are reported in two different ways on AZDHS. There is a daily number of "reported" deaths, which appears to be the data you are referencing. The graph for "Covid Deaths by Date of Death" takes that "reported" data and organizes it by actual date of death. There have been exactly two days in AZ where the death toll surpassed Governor Cuomo's number of 24. On April 30 and May 6 26 people died with a cause of death listing Covid.

The media needs to do a better job of telling the whole story. The mortality rate in AZ is lower than most places in the world, and is declining at a rapid rate. Whether it is climate, demographics or a superior healthcare system, it is good news that is just as important as the bad.

Numbers are reported in two different ways on AZDHS. There is a daily number of "reported" deaths, which appears to be the data you are referencing. The graph for "Covid Deaths by Date of Death" takes that "reported" data and organizes it by actual date of death. There have been exactly two days in AZ where the death toll surpassed Governor Cuomo's number of 24. On April 30 and May 6 26 people died with a cause of death listing Covid.

The media needs to do a better job of telling the whole story. The mortality rate in AZ is lower than most places in the world, and is declining at a rapid rate. Whether it is climate, demographics or a superior healthcare system, it is good news that is just as important as the bad.

I am well aware of all the different data boxes available on the site.

As for New York Governor Cuomo's statements, and any relationship to Arizona's data, I would reiterate that our deaths are rising (Today, 6-18, we are at 1271 deaths) and our Hospital ICU's are now at 84% utilization.

I do realize there might be good news in New York, but I do not feel the same optimism that you are showing.

Just MHO as to where we are with Covid-19 in Arizona.

I am well aware of all the different data boxes available on the site.

As for New York Governor Cuomo's statements, and any relationship to Arizona's data, I would reiterate that our deaths are rising (Today, 6-18, we are at 1271 deaths) and our Hospital ICU's are now at 84% utilization.

I do realize there might be good news in New York, but I do not feel the same optimism that you are showing.

Just MHO as to where we are with Covid-19 in Arizona.

With so much misleading information out there, accuracy is important. If you know where the data is, I'm unclear why you would post information that implies AZ has ever had a daily death toll higher than 26.

As for NY - Governor Cuomo couldn't have been clearer that when talking about 24 total deaths and how they could possibly be categorized. It wasn't relative to population.

My optimism was shattered yesterday when Governor Ducey caved to pressure from the health care lobby and issued new rules for bars and restaurants. The whole mask thing was a gift that fell in his lap to distract from the first step toward re-closing the economy for the sake of easy access to elective surgeries.

With so much misleading information out there, accuracy is important. If you know where the data is, I'm unclear why you would post information that implies AZ has ever had a daily death toll higher than 26.

As for NY - Governor Cuomo couldn't have been clearer that when talking about 24 total deaths and how they could possibly be categorized. It wasn't relative to population.

My optimism was shattered yesterday when Governor Ducey caved to pressure from the health care lobby and issued new rules for bars and restaurants. The whole mask thing was a gift that fell in his lap to distract from the first step toward re-closing the economy for the sake of easy access to elective surgeries.

We agree that accuracy is important.

We agree that, as of today, in Arizona, we have 1271 deaths due to Covid-19.

Whether those 1271 lives were lost over 90 days (First Covid-19 related death reported on March 17, 2020) or whether a certain number occurred on any given day, has no bearing on how one Governor has categorized his state findings. He is stating his opinion on what other factors might be involved in those deaths in New York. He has no way of knowing if our Arizona doctors are facing the same dilemma in deciding on a cause of death. 1271 Arizonans have Covid-19 listed as their COD. I do not believe there is any question on that.

Are you saying that you believe Governor Ducey is looking at re-closing the economy? On what basis would that be factored on? I just don't see them going that far again. But who am I to question the wisdom of our government?

[...]

I'm not quite following this comment. Are you saying that the reason why the economy would reclose in AZ is to permit easy access to elective surgeries?

Arizona's closure was one of the least stringent in the country. While friends were telling me that law enforcement in Michigan was being dispatched to homes of those that broke "lock down," we were able to go to manufacturing jobs, construction jobs, play golf, and shop at any store deemed "essential," which included Goodwill, Frye's Electronics and Hobby Lobby.

In reality, the only things "closed" were bars/restaurants and elective surgeries. The meat of Ducey's Orders, the other day, targets bars/restaurants with strict rules (as opposed to the re-open order, which was basically a list of suggestions,) active "enforcement," and an implication of sanctions. "Sanctions," in this case, is a euphemism for "don't risk your liquor license."

Leading up to this was a media blitz by Banner (skillfully disguised as "news") about the dire situation in AZ. So, yes, I believe that Banner is endeavoring to essentially "close the economy" again - which means bars/restaurants because that was really all that "closed" during the lock down.

Interesting that since they extracted their pound of flesh, Florida is now the new "hot spot."

Mortality rate in AZ has dropped to 2.8% - which includes the period when it hit 5.5%. I know this is something most people don't want to discuss, but how low does the mortality rate have to drop before we can ratchet back the hysteria? I believe Ducey's numbers still hold: 30% of the population have no fear of this, 30% are never leaving their homes again, and 40% are on the fence. If that 40% decide to wait for a change that may never come, then we are doomed.

Again, the "reported" deaths are just that - a report from various sources and dates. That's why it goes from 40 one day to 2 the next. You need to look at the graph on the Covid-19 Deaths section where that "reported" data is graphed by actual date of death. And, yes, 26 is still the high, from April 30 and May 7.

The fact that is never reported in the news is that the death graph is stable or declining as cases skyrocket - and that means, for whatever reason, this simply isn't as deadly as feared, and the mortality rate declines every day. At some point the death rate will fall below other things that we take for granted - I just hope that happens before too many people develop mental illness from living in fear and isolation.

Per same site - death rate down to 2.68% (and, yes, that is approximate because no one knows the outcome of those cases confirmed with in the past couple of weeks.)

Deaths per day (actual)
April Single Day High = 26. Total days 20 and above = 5
May Single Day High = 26. Total days 20 and above = 13
June Single Day High = 21. Total days 20 and above = 4

Will be interesting to divide deaths by total cases in June (or since Memorial Day).

Just one person's experience. 100% mask compliance at Walmart and hard core social distancing imposed at a pub.

Arizona:

'I just can't be responsible': Why some Phoenix area restaurant owners would rather close

Arizona, Pima County set records — again — for weekly rise in COVID-19 cases

“And the state will likely continue to surpass these single-day records, said Dr. Joe Gerald, an associate professor with the University of Arizona’s Zuckerman College of Public Health.

“For the next 10 to 14 days, it’s going to be just more of the same,” he said.”

Arizona Bush Fire: Facing a record increase in coronavirus cases, Arizona is besieged by wildfires - CNN

“As public health officials try to keep the coronavirus from spreading, the pandemic has forced the state's firefighters to adjust how they suppress fires.
This year, they are prepositioning more crews, spreading out camp sites and relying more on aircraft to dump water, according to Tiffany Davila, public information officer for the Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management.
"... It can be difficult at times to be socially distant while fighting fire, especially when there can be hundreds, maybe even a thousand firefighters assigned to any incident. But we are working in the safest possible way to make sure our crews remain healthy and our communities and residents remain protected," she said.“

I know someone who tried to get tested - after getting turned away from one facility, being unable to complete CVS' online scheduling form due to a website bug, and calling around, only to be told to check back later in the week, she gave up. By the time she could get tested and get the results, the Covid, if that's what she has, will have passed.

If the testing situation is that messed up all over the country, then we need to give up dreams of being like New Zealand.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back